• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oxx said:
I failed that quest today. I ran out of traps and ended up killing it.

Did you manage it using the items from the supply chest, or did you use your own traps?

I used a shock trap from the supply chest and 2 tranq bombs. I basically followed advice from this thread which worked perfectly- beat him up, follow him to where he is sleeping, set the trap nearby, wake him up with a hit, go right outside the trap, wait until he gets in and then get him with the tranq bomb.

Oxx

schuelma said:
I used a shock trap from the supply chest and 2 tranq bombs. I basically followed advice from this thread which worked perfectly- beat him up, follow him to where he is sleeping, set the trap nearby, wake him up with a hit, go right outside the trap, wait until he gets in and then get him with the tranq bomb.

Hmm... That's pretty much exactly what I did. Word for word.

Oh well, try again tomorrow.

JRPereira

schuelma said:

Best thing ever is when you can go up to a monster when they're sleeping and kick 'em in the face. Bitch, wake up! You're coming home with me tonight!

Speaking of kicks - first kick I ever did in mh3 was a good swift kick in the face for a great jaggi that happened to knock it over.

schuelma

Oxx said:

Did he not go into the trap or something? That seems odd.

I beat offline mode and made the entire Ceadeus set (ChaCha found my DragonGem >:D )

However I'm learning that Blunt Edge is one of the most obnoxious handicaps ever, even worse it doesn't seem like I can negate it without losing the sets biggest advantage, Sharpness +1.

I'm looking it up and can't find a clear answer. It seems the only way to get rid of Blunt while keeping Sharpness is to find a high rank charm or swap out a piece of the Ceadeus set for something else and achieve it through a high level Jewel. Both options sound reserved until I'm much further into high rank in which case I assume my current Ceadeus armor will be outclassed def wise.

Is there any other way to get rid of Blunt Edge without losing Sharpness +1?

Oxx

schuelma said:
Did he not go into the trap or something? That seems odd.

I did retreat a bit after setting the trap, but he was definitely caught in it. I'm pretty sure that the tranqs were hitting the target, but perhaps not if this should have been enough to subdue him.

Dreavus

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I beat offline mode and made the entire Ceadeus set (ChaCha found my DragonGem >:D )

However I'm learning that Blunt Edge is one of the most obnoxious handicaps ever, even worse it doesn't seem like I can negate it without losing the sets biggest advantage, Sharpness +1.

I'm looking it up and can't find a clear answer. It seems the only way to get rid of Blunt while keeping Sharpness is to find a high rank charm or swap out a piece of the Ceadeus set for something else and achieve it through a high level Jewel. Both options sound reserved until I'm much further into high rank in which case I assume my current Ceadeus armor will be outclassed def wise.

Is there any other way to get rid of Blunt Edge without losing Sharpness +1?

Can't you just throw a Sharpness decoration or two into the armor set to bring Blunt Edge to -9? That's what I did with one of my Charms; it gave +10 thunder res but -10 Lasting power. I put one decoration on that gave + 1 lasting power and that negated the whole thing from activating.

forrest

formerly nacire
Oxx said:

I set the trap as close to the sleeping monster as possible! That way when I hit it to wake it up, it stands up and automatically falls into the trap.

Dreavus said:
Can't you just throw a Sharpness decoration or two into the armor set to bring Blunt Edge to -9? That's what I did with one of my Charms; it gave +10 thunder res but -10 Lasting power. I put one decoration on that gave + 1 lasting power and that negated the whole thing from activating.
The problem is the Jewel to knock it down to -9 also knocks that Sharpness+1 skill down to only 9. I can't figure out how to remove it and keep the good skill.

I can chew up Rathians, I can tear apart a Lagiacrus, but fucking Barroth and its instant turnaround and charge (with a hitbox that's way too big) is still annoying as hell to fight.

Also running out of tranq bombs and traps is the worst feeling ever. Second place is placing a trap and the monster deciding that instant to leave for the next area.

Dreavus

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
The problem is the Jewel to knock it down to -9 also knocks that Sharpness+1 skill down to only 9. I can't figure out how to remove it and keep the good skill.

Ah, I didn't realize the decorations counter-acted like that... That is a tough one.

EmCeeGramr said:
I can chew up Rathians, I can tear apart a Lagiacrus, but fucking Barroth and its instant turnaround and charge (with a hitbox that's way too big) is still annoying as hell to fight.

Also running out of tranq bombs and traps is the worst feeling ever. Second place is placing a trap and the monster deciding that instant to leave for the next area.

Yeah. Always bring a spare. You usually get an extra with more tranqs for completing subquest b, but never count on it.

Knowing when to plant traps is just another skill you learn when you fight. When you fight Barroth, never plant in the area with tehg ant hills and he is really inconsistent in staying there. ALWAYS wait for him to return to the mud area, preferably sleeping if you saw him limp away.

Same deal with the raths at the deserted island. They will always fly away to the cave, then almost immediately leave again for the nest.

To make barroth easier, definitely bring a weapon that can block. He constant step back and charges can be brutal.

shahkur

Started this a few days ago. Really been enjoying, even though MHF on PSP left me with a sour note. Was playing offline all this time until I got to capture the King Jaggi. Today, I thought I'd go online for the first time and "WOW". Hunting with (random) peeps is aight. Anybody know when you get the switchaxe?

I was also wondering. Does this game have an end to it? Or just go on forever.

Is there any trick to getting small goldenfish? There happened to be one there when I first got there but when I use the goldenfish bait, I'm just getting normal goldenfish.

Im eating some food right now but in about 15 minutes i plan on starting up a room/joining one for the 2 star urgent to kill lagiacrus. Just a heads up :)

P.S. Big thanks to everyone ive been playing with lately. You all rock!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there any trick to getting small goldenfish? There happened to be one there when I first got there but when I use the goldenfish bait, I'm just getting normal goldenfish.

I've only ever caught small goldenfish randomly with regular bait.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do you unlock the quests online if you unlocked them offline?

Nope.

Man, I attempted the Rathian capture quest with a team of four people and my mates were dying left and right. I dunno if they were unlucky or just not very good, but it was preeetty frustrating to fail at all three attempts. :(

JRPereira

I'm nothing short of amazed about how people are having so much trouble with barroth. His only worrysome attack has so much telegraphing that depending on the distance, you could drink a potion when he puts his head down and still dodge out of the way in time.

I haven't even tried fighting him with a lance yet - I even have a luddroth something or other water lance which would probably kick his ass.

Gobul's the one I hate most right now, followed by royal luddroth in the water. Water battles are always a mess.

Apenheul

That was another 7 hours straight, the game is just too addictive for me. I've hunted 3 Qurupeco's, 8 great Jaggi and 4 Royal Ludroths amonst other things today.

schuelma

Right now I really wish I was unemployed and single.

What is this game doing to me??

JRPereira

schuelma said:
Right now I really wish I was unemployed and single.

What is this game doing to me??

Last few nights I've had the same wish. It's the first true gaming addiction that I've had in a while.

schuelma

slaughterking said:
Sounds like its making your wish eventually come true. :p

Yeah I need to lock this shit up. Wife's bday tomorrow, 1 year wedding anniversary in 2 weeks. Really bad timing with this game :lol

schuelma

Boney said:
Invite her to play for her bday! (probably not a good idea though)

"Hey honey, want to hunt a Jaggi with me for your bday present?"

Yeah, that will work.....

schuelma said:
"Hey honey, want to hunt a Jaggi with me for your bday present?"

Yeah, that will work.....

All I can think of is Homer buying the bowling ball for Marge. :lol

Can you only get certain items at night? Could that be why I can't find fireflies?

Alex

Infinite Justice said:
Are you serious :lol this has become disturbing.

Try this and see, but if thats what you been doing and no luck then......maybe god does have it out for you.

My Hammer Training continues:

High rank Red Khezu was an extreme bitch (worse since i have no high rank armor yet :lol ) but he went down.

Now to go after Rathian and Rathalos, with Rathian first

Nah, going offline won't help. I usually do it with a friend whom I duo everything with, we only do capture runs, and we can carve it up and cap it within 10 minutes each time.

This is certainly the worst spree of poor luck I've ever had in a game. Usually I have good luck with drops, oh well.

Hiltz

Just forged the long sword and need to do those two level 4 paw pass ticket quests and that one where you have to fight Barroth and Great Jaggi.

Tenbatsu

Kyoufu said:
Why does it feel like GS is downgraded from MHP2ndG?

I was trying to change the angle of the charge attack with the directional stick but it seems its not possible to do in MH3. Disappointing.
You are still able to change the direction for the next charge attack thou. Charge -> attack (change direction) -> Charge

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Yeah, your best bet is to pray that you can get a charm to counter it, it is not possible to counter it thru decorations alone. You can also mix and match but I suppose you fancy the 'Ultraman Father' design? Don't worry about the armor getting outdated as all armors in MH3 can be upgradable when you reach high level quest. There will be 2 versions for practically all armors, one G ver and one non G. I had the full set back then too and I just ignore the negative sharpness skill. I countered it by wearing a Sharpener charm and cat food.

Anw you can refer to the Charm Chart I prepared here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21039596&postcount=3264

Hawkian said:
Can anyone explain the justification for the "you can't trade players anything worthwhile" system?
Simple! Capcom just want you to clock more hours with the game!

Teknoman

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't think you sobered up.
:lol

Oh and Ridley sorry about that. We had 4, but Baker got disconnected or something. Killed Barroth though, so its Tundra and R.Ludroth event time. I'll be back on later.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Barroth hasn't really given me any issues after the first time. I've farmed him enough (4-5 times) to obtain all pieces of his armor set, and for a weapon. I've been using the Ludroth Splashhammer mostly. It hits on one of his weaknesses, and it seems to break his armor off like nobody's business.

Ridley327

Ashism: you are the goddamn trap master. A Great Jaggi and the Peco during Four Jaggi Play? You're a machine! :lol :lol :lol

I gotta say that the Jaggi Helmet is already paying for itself with these crazy Quest Rewards I keep getting. I still would have thought it was a great investment from an aesthetic standpoint, but I am swimming in Jaggi and Luddy mats now.

Alex

I GOT A PLATE

FUCK YOU CAPCOM

It was funny in MH1 and MHFU when I got them instantly and no one else did! It wasn't funny this time!

Top Bottom