• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

mclem

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How do you guys figure most of this out? Just by accident?

An awful lot of the most useful tips I picked up from talking to villagers in town. That's definitely how I got the recipe for goldenfish bait, at least.

Ridley327

mclem said:
An awful lot of the most useful tips I picked up from talking to villagers in town. That's definitely how I got the recipe for goldenfish bait, at least.

Yeah, one of the kids in town mentions the formula for making the Goldenfish Bait.

See? The NPCs can be useful!

Ridley327 said:
Yeah, one of the kids in town mentions the formula for making the Goldenfish Bait.

See? The NPCs can be useful!

Maybe I'm skimming too fast, I just remember her (maybe him?) saying you had to combine. Just to make sure the insect catching you were talking about is when you see that butterfly type thing right? And the bees nest look different in this game so I couldn't find those for a while either. :p

JRPereira

Jesus, lagi ended up being such a pushover. When I first saw him, I was like "damn he's tiny", and he turned tail and ran after cutting off his tail and beating his head in for 12 minutes. I was like "wtf?! come back you bastard!". So much buildup for a tiny fight. I was all decked out with traps, tons of potions, sushifish, etc. (aka tigrex prep) and didn't use any of it.

Ridley327

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe I'm skimming too fast, I just remember her (maybe him?) saying you had to combine. Just to make sure the insect catching you were talking about is when you see that butterfly type thing right? And the bees nest look different in this game so I couldn't find those for a while either. :p

Yeah; it's a fairly common insect to find in the gather spots, so just keep at it and hope your bug nets don't run out before then.

To be perfectly honest, there's still a lot in the game that requires you to figure out on your own (i.e stunning Kelbis for a no-fail method of getting Kelbi Horns, resetting Altaroth spawn areas in order to get the white mushroom patch to spawn so you can farm Ripened Mushrooms), but being able to visit the forest at will with no time constraints will allow you to experiment to see if it pays off on your end.

Bankoiia

I'm pleasantly surprised about hunting with random strangers online. Almost always, I seem to end up with people who are polite, funny and with a great sense of teamwork. I rike it.

mclem

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

It's the two kids talking about how they're having a fishing competition; each of them tells you half the recipe and gives you a sample of the bug for that half.

mclem

Ridley327 said:
To be perfectly honest, there's still a lot in the game that requires you to figure out on your own (i.e stunning Kelbis for a no-fail method of getting Kelbi Horns,

I'm pretty sure this was hinted at too.

Ridley327 said:
Yeah; it's a fairly common insect to find in the gather spots, so just keep at it and hope your bug nets don't run out before then.

To be perfectly honest, there's still a lot in the game that requires you to figure out on your own (i.e stunning Kelbis for a no-fail method of getting Kelbi Horns, resetting Altaroth spawn areas in order to get the white mushroom patch to spawn so you can farm Ripened Mushrooms), but being able to visit the forest at will with no time constraints will allow you to experiment to see if it pays off on your end.

Ya, I think it's best if I harvest stuff for now and lay off the quests for the time being.

F yeah I killed my first Lagiacrus :D I had Ultra Lucky Cat active, so I got a lot more post-battle spoils than usual. That was epic I really thought I was done for and then bam I saw "Main Quest completed" and yelled a cry of victory :lol

Ridley327

I wish I could join you John since I'd like to think that the Great Jaggis would be in absolute terror if they saw me with one of their heads as a piece of armor, but I am at work right now. Oh, what could have been!

Tytree

Neo Member
Good Lord, here I was thinking that Lagiacrus would be the first true test of one's hunting abilities, but it turns out to be the seemingly innocuous Barioth. I suppose I should have learned my lesson last time with Nargacuga, but I honestly didn't expect much of a fight.

Thank God he doesn't hurt too much in single player. Not looking forward to fighting him online, though!

forrest

formerly nacire
Tytree said:
Good Lord, here I was thinking that Lagiacrus would be the first true test of one's hunting abilities, but it turns out to be the seemingly innocuous Barioth. I suppose I should have learned my lesson last time with Nargacuga, but I honestly didn't expect much of a fight.

Thank God he doesn't hurt too much in single player. Not looking forward to fighting him online, though!

Just beat him in single player. He really tones down once the tail is gone. Get the wing down too and it's like fighting a different creature.

*No one answered my last post - What's the "best" or most preferred method of communication online?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
nacire said:
Just beat him in single player. He really tones down once the tail is gone. Get the wing down too and it's like fighting a different creature.

*No one answered my last post - What's the "best" or most preferred method of communication online?
Probably keyboard.

Remfin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
When you talk to an NPC and the background of the dialog is yellow/gold, pay attention to what they're saying :)

Pancho

Qurupancho
Hawkian and Lance Bone Path kicked ass, great hunts all around with you guys and that other random guy xD.

Also, thanks again Lance, Lagiacrus has never been easier and in record time too:D

All according to keikaku.

3 star quests here I go!

d0c_zaius

Pancho said:
Hawkian and Lance Bone Path kicked ass, great hunts all around with you guys and that other random guy xD.

Also, thanks again Lance, Lagiacrus has never been easier and in record time too:D

All according to keikaku.

3 star quests here I go!

Hit me up if you guys need a 4th for 3star. I wanted to send a friend request but you cut out too quickly heh.

Oxx

Good to know I'm not the only person who was totally confused about what to do and where to go in that 1-star fishing quest...

I still haven't done it.

Pancho

Qurupancho
d0c_zaius said:
Hit me up if you guys need a 4th for 3star. I wanted to send a friend request but you cut out too quickly heh.

Ill hit you up with a friend request later at night, gotta work now :(. Sent you one today but you were offline

butzopower

proud of his butz
I'd request help for the Barroth quest, but the thing is, I still haven't beaten the R. Ludroth in the Flooded Forest. I haven't been able to get anyone but scrubs who either drop out or die (I maybe have died once or twice myself), and I've seriously failed this thing at least 5 times when we've had him limping.

GAF, can I get your help? I'll be on Wisdom 1-40.

Danielsan

butzopower said:
I'd request help for the Barroth quest, but the thing is, I still haven't beaten the R. Ludroth in the Flooded Forest. I haven't been able to get anyone but scrubs who either drop out or die (I maybe have died once or twice myself), and I've seriously failed this thing at least 5 times when we've had him limping.

GAF, can I get your help? I'll be on Wisdom 1-40.
EU or NA?
I wouldn't mind helping out but I'm on the EU servers.
I almost treat R.Ludroths like normal enemies these days. :lol

edit: Nevermind I guess Wisdom 1-40 is NA...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cool, trapped the Great Jaggi on my first try.

What is the next set of armor you guys would recommend after the Jaggi set?

Alex

I'm throwing up a room for Rathian if anyone wants to tag along. I tried it a few times with randoms but all they do is die and eat all the continues. =/ Half of them don't even seem to bring ANY materials or healing items. It's quite lame, it's one thing to be new, I love helping new players but at least have some potions and mega potions and antidotes.

mclem

Things I'd love, #345: An automatic loadout button. You pick bag contents, you save bag contents, before a quest you go to your item box, hit a button, and your bag is filled appropriately based on the saved contents. Multiple loadouts (gatherer, capture, hunt, maybe some more).

Basically an extension of the equipment selector, but for bag stuff that you need to replenish on a regular basis.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just throwing this out there without insulting anyone's gameskillz, but the game gives a lot of hints. Keyword being hints and not obvious Perfect Dark Zero signals. Gotta look around and find them.

Kelbi Horn: The Kelbi Monster Guide info in-game mentions that research indicates stunning the animals to remove their horns.

Goldenfish: When this quest becomes available, the two kids in the village each give you one item to combine into the Goldenfish lure.

Kyoufu

Why does it feel like GS is downgraded from MHP2ndG?

I was trying to change the angle of the charge attack with the directional stick but it seems its not possible to do in MH3. Disappointing.

Oxx

schuelma said:

I failed that quest today. I ran out of traps and ended up killing it.

Did you manage it using the items from the supply chest, or did you use your own traps?

Poyunch

Alex said:
I'm throwing up a room for Rathian if anyone wants to tag along. I tried it a few times with randoms but all they do is die and eat all the continues. =/ Half of them don't even seem to bring ANY materials or healing items. It's quite lame, it's one thing to be new, I love helping new players but at least have some potions and mega potions and antidotes.
Just finishing capturing/fighting one for the first time. I've been ignoring in the solo for the longest time. Unlike when I finally fought the Lagi in the single player I don't feel comfortable fighting a Rathian. :lol

By the way it caught me once what am I supposed to do when that happens? All I did was button mash and I made it out with very little left of my health.

Kyoufu said:
Why does it feel like GS is downgraded from MHP2ndG?

I was trying to change the angle of the charge attack with the directional stick but it seems its not possible to do in MH3. Disappointing.
Wow, I had no idea you could do that in 2nd G.

Pancho said:

Also, thanks again Lance, Lagiacrus has never been easier and in record time too
That was a pretty awesome session. I probably wouldn't go on a 3 person hunt for Lagy with 2 randoms.

I'll be on later in the evening.

Owzers

schuelma said:

What is the next set of armor you guys would recommend after the Jaggi set?

I think peco armor gives evasion boosts and then your urgent quest for lvl 1 online will be Barroth and he gives really nice ( atleast i like it!) atk and stamina armor plus it has good defense and is neat.

Alex

Up to 40+ kills now, no plate! If there is a god he has it in for me!

By the way it caught me once what am I supposed to do when that happens? All I did was button mash and I made it out with very little left of my health.

1.) Use a dung bomb or have a friend use a dung bomb, you can use em while pinned and it'll instantly take it off of you

2.) Roll the analog stick and mash A to loosen it's grip and hope your friends do big attacks to take the bar the rest of the way

3.) Have a friend use a flash bomb.

forrest

formerly nacire
Scalpel Knight said:
Amazon keeps selling out of the CC Pro bundle when I want it. D'oh!

I had to call around town to find one myself. One of the more obscure gamestops had quite a few of them still.

JRPereira

Fought my first gigginox earlier - slimy bastard put up a good fight. Had me poisoned probably half the time and I didn't bring enough antidotes. Would've probably started dying and failed the quest had I not captured it -- got it trapped, grabbed my tranqs and prayed I was aiming for the right end.

Probably one of the better fights in the game so far. Hopefully barrioth is a good one.

The underwater stuff is hella annoying.

Need 1 more for rathian farm 2star quest. We will be doing the Lagiacrus urgent as soon as everyone has their hr above 14 ;). same place as always. Look for Kafka, harlow and valera.

Alex said:
Up to 40+ kills now, no plate! If there is a god he has it in for me!

1.) Use a dung bomb or have a friend use a dung bomb, you can use em while pinned and it'll instantly take it off of you

2.) Roll the analog stick and mash A to loosen it's grip and hope your friends do big attacks to take the bar the rest of the way

3.) Have a friend use a flash bomb.

Are you serious :lol this has become disturbing.

Sammy Samusu said:
Speaking of "plate", if you guys need a Rathian Plate, go offline and finish it's capture quest.

Try this and see, but if thats what you been doing and no luck then......maybe god does have it out for you.

My Hammer Training continues:

High rank Red Khezu was an extreme bitch (worse since i have no high rank armor yet :lol ) but he went down.

Now to go after Rathian and Rathalos, with Rathian first

Top Bottom