• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Kevtones

Ridley327 said:
Ashism: you are the goddamn trap master. A Great Jaggi and the Peco during Four Jaggi Play? You're a machine! :lol :lol :lol

I gotta say that the Jaggi Helmet is already paying for itself with these crazy Quest Rewards I keep getting. I still would have thought it was a great investment from an aesthetic standpoint, but I am swimming in Jaggi and Luddy mats now.

Wait, what does the Jaggi Helm do? It seemed expensive and lacking...

Which Lv 1, 2, or 3 quest gives you Armor Sphere again?

And do I have to keep killing R. Ludrouth to get the R. Ludrouth Tail, because I keep getting everything else. :/

L00P

Hero of Legend said:

And do I have to keep killing R. Ludrouth to get the R. Ludrouth Tail, because I keep getting everything else. :/

Dunno about the armor sphere but you have to cut off R. Ludroth's tail and then carve it

Teknoman

Hero of Legend said:

No, you need to party with me, so I can slice it off.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Wait, what does the Jaggi Helm do? It seemed expensive and lacking...

Always use the wiimote pointer to figure out the special points of armor.

ashism

Ridley327 said:
Ashism: you are the goddamn trap master. A Great Jaggi and the Peco during Four Jaggi Play? You're a machine! :lol :lol :lol

I gotta say that the Jaggi Helmet is already paying for itself with these crazy Quest Rewards I keep getting. I still would have thought it was a great investment from an aesthetic standpoint, but I am swimming in Jaggi and Luddy mats now.
Hahaha, I came in prepared.
I should have brought items to combine for more traps for even more rewards!

I love this game. Playing it is so fun!

Dreavus

Man, going into the powderstone quest unprepared is not fun. :lol I failed a bunch of times: once because I pressed the wrong button at the chest, causing me to put down the stone (which promptly explodes) and the second time I was steps away from the last zone with the rock and I dropped it for no apparent reason (I think I wasn't watching my stamina, but still).

Other times my heat resistance would wear off mid trip, causing me to take damage from the stone and the heat, or a big monster would find me and mess me up.

I finally took my old Hunter's armor set, put a +4 transporter charm with it, put in a bunch of decorations to activate transporter, and made that my "these egg quests are stupid" armor set. Now I can see where any big guys are and avoid them, plus I'm more efficient when carrying things. The low armor isn't much of a problem because I don't plan on engaging anything in a fight anyways.

I went back and did the wyvern egg one with this set and I'm REALLY happy I didn't attempt it without it. There were a couple times there where I'd narrowly avoid walking right into a Rathian that was flying around because of the auto tracker.

With those done I now have more then enough commendations, so that means I only need one more firestone and I can make the skull mask (which I didn't know existed before it appeared at the blacksmith). Cool stuff!

Teknoman

Hero of Legend said:
How do you slice off tails? Do you have to hit the tail enough, like how you break their heads from usually hitting the heads enough?

Yeah, just use a bladed weapon enough times and it'll fly off. The monster animation after having it sliced is just awesome.

I am online now! Send me a message in-game!

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

Remfin

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
The problem is the Jewel to knock it down to -9 also knocks that Sharpness+1 skill down to only 9. I can't figure out how to remove it and keep the good skill.
There is a +4/-2 later but it involves High Rank items. Unless I'm reading the wrong skill names :p

Another option (if the chest piece has better + than -) is to use some armor with the Torso boost (Skull Mask, Alloy Legs, some other legs that I know of but am blanking on) to make up your difference.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there any trick to getting small goldenfish? There happened to be one there when I first got there but when I use the goldenfish bait, I'm just getting normal goldenfish.
I see them every once in a while as a quest reward, so I save them and bring them with me anytime we do Goldenfish fishing.

Teknoman said:
Yeah, just use a bladed weapon enough times and it'll fly off. The monster animation after having it sliced is just awesome.

I am online now! Send me a message in-game!

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

Okay, I'll be in, time for my first Online match, you have Wii Speak?

Edit: You do. Give a moment, do I have to be at a specific room?

Edit: I'm in Gate 3, I sent ya a message and waiting for a reply I guess!

Kard8p3

I don't suppose anyone would like to play with a complete MH noob? I just got this yesterday, but I love it so far, and as of right now, I am a huge lance lover. My ID is in the other topic. but if needed, I'll post it here.

Teknoman

Kard8p3 said:
I don't suppose anyone would like to play with a complete MH noob? I just got this yesterday, but I love it so far, and as of right now, I am a huge lance lover. My ID is in the other topic. but if needed, I'll post it here.

We could join Pancho. Hero of Legend is on too.

ashism

Woah, disconnected. I should take a break anyways. I've had an all day marathon session.

Yesterday I was still really off with my trapping skills, now I am a trapping god. Also getting the hang of the lance. Pretty much I hold down R and pray anytime shit goes down.

Seems to work so far.

Dreavus

ashism said:
Woah, disconnected. I should take a break anyways. I've had an all day marathon session.

Yesterday I was still really off with my trapping skills, now I am a trapping god. Also getting the hang of the lance. Pretty much I hold down R and pray anytime shit goes down.

Seems to work so far.

I'm starting to love using the Lance, especially for underwater fights. Instead of trying to awkwardly dodge you can just take hits like a champ.

One thing I find odd is that if you are stationary while blocking, your stamina does not regenerate... however if you are moving forward while blocking, it does. Is there any advantage to standing still while blocking versus moving? Right now it seems like you'd always want to be moving because that way you can keep your stamina up.

Tail slicing is one of the best feelings ever. Just watching that thing pop off and flip around is soooo good. Especially R. Ludroth, since that thing just cries out to be sliced. And when he tries do his tail swipe he even looks back at it and wiggles the stump all disappointed. :( :lol

On the opposite end of the spectrum, taking down a Quropeco in online the other day, I busted its beak open for the first time... and it was actually pretty gross. It's all... torn, and the barely connected beak fragments and soft tissues underneath bounce up and down as the 'peco hops. It's really nasty.

Kandinsky

Omg i feel like im missing alot not going online but at the same time im a complete noob and i dont want to ruin people experiences, Jaggi helm eh, is that an online event? if so when does it ends?

Dreavus

Kandinsky said:
Omg i feel like im missing alot not going online but at the same time im a complete noob and i dont want to ruin people experiences, Jaggi helm eh, is that an online event? if so when does it ends?

Yes, it's an event quest. I don't know when it ends but I'm sure you'd be fine jumping online, even if you are a bit inexperienced, just to do that quest. If you know how to fight a G. Jaggi you should have no problems with this quest (they come at your group one at a time.)

Kandinsky

Dreavus said:
Yes, it's an event quest. I don't know when it ends but I'm sure you'd be fine jumping online, even if you are a bit inexperienced, just to do that quest. If you know how to fight a G. Jaggi you should have no problems with this quest (they come at your group one at a time.)
Oh nice, and yeah i can beat a G.Jaggi, in fact thats the only thing i do offline, finally got my complete set:lol

The monsters online are a bit harder though, since 4 players can take them on at once.

And the Jaggi event quest has you fighting four of them.

Hiltz

Oh I was so close to beating the Barroth + Great Jaggi level 4 quest. Took down G. Jaggi in just 5 minutes with the first forged long sword. Then got Barroth limping away to dig himself into area 1 where he clobbered me (got stuck in adobe effect and he head butted me - where's cha cha when you need him ?) after using up all of my potions and herbs up in the previous area. It also didn't help that a Quropeco appeared in the same area as Barroth and wouldn't leave for the first 10 minutes.

I'll bring my demon drug potion next time and use sword and shield as well.

john tv

Kandinsky said:
Oh nice, and yeah i can beat a G.Jaggi, in fact thats the only thing i do offline, finally got my complete set:lol
Don't get your hopes up too much yet -- Great Jaggis are a lot tougher online, and four of them is tough to solo, if only because you'll start running low on resources (potions, etc) if you're not pretty strong. Also there's a Qurupeco running around as well.

Dreavus

botticus said:
I am a believer in the Jaggi Mask. First Jaggi quest with it netted me another 4 Jaggi Heads.

I always feel a bit guilty bringing it into an online quest because stats wise it's a pretty bad item. I feel like the other players are silently judging me because I just want the extra rewards. :lol

Dreavus said:
I always feel a bit guilty bringing it into an online quest because stats wise it's a pretty bad item. I feel like the other players are silently judging me because I just want the extra rewards. :lol

*jaggi mask slowly descending from thin air onto smug hunter*
deal with it

Insaniac

Just FYI i did the event quest (hunt 4 great jaggi) and got a jaggi head as an after quest reward, since the event quests seem to payout a lot better than normal quests so it might be easy to farm heads there.

edit: had a great party though Harlowe and someone else, had an electrical sword and was paralyzing each jaggi, it was a breeze.

edit: wait is the event quest the only way to get a jaggi head? interesting... if so i look like an idiot :p

john tv

Does the Jaggi Mask help w/offline hauls too or just online? I didn't realize how shitty it is DEF-wise until now, but it seems like a waste not to use it if you're looking to farm for new equipment.

If you're soloing it and still want some heads, you can quit after just killing two Jaggis (through the bed) and still get enough for a mask.

botticus

Dreavus said:
But... you're wearing a Jaggi's head. How can you be judged?

Kandinsky

john tv said:
Don't get your hopes up too much yet -- Great Jaggis are a lot tougher online, and four of them is tough to solo, if only because you'll start running low on resources (potions, etc) if you're not pretty strong. Also there's a Qurupeco running around as well.
Omg:lol

Oh well i guess tomorrow ill jump in and check how good (bad?) i do online :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just did the event quest for 4 Great Jaggis+1 Qurupeco. Wasn't really hard, no one died and i never had to use any of my mega potions, the 3 first-aid kits that i got from the quest were enough. Didn't get anything special in my rewards, not sure if it was worth it lol. What's so special about event quests? But it sure was fun to play online for once. By the way, how the hell do i post messages? I saw a message option in the online menu with the "-" button, but it looked more like a mailbox than anything. :lol

Tenbatsu

john tv said:
Does the Jaggi Mask help w/offline hauls too or just online? I didn't realize how shitty it is DEF-wise until now, but it seems like a waste not to use it if you're looking to farm for new equipment.
Yes it does. Fate is a group A skill btw. If you combine it with Ultra Lucky Cat, you are on a roll. Back then my comrade worn it for 3/4 of the game and boy the amount of rubies he had.... :/

Teknoman

Wow quadruple jaggi heads, and 2 flint stone for a free hunt :D

EDIT: Wow...wiispeak is really acting up tonight...

Bisnic said:
I just did the event quest for 4 Great Jaggis+1 Qurupeco. Wasn't really hard, no one died and i never had to use any of my mega potions, the 3 first-aid kits that i got from the quest were enough. Didn't get anything special in my rewards, not sure if it was worth it lol. What's so special about event quests? But it sure was fun to play online for once. By the way, how the hell do i post messages? I saw a message option in the online menu with the "-" button, but it looked more like a mailbox than anything. :lol

Event quests might have specialized monsters in them (giant, small, or odd numbers) and they give either rare stuff, or 1 time rare items (like that jaggi head to make the jaggi mask, which ups how much stuff you get from quests).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hero of Legend said:
Whew, that was amazing! :D

Shame Wii Speak wasn't working well, I'm not sure if it was just Tek, me, or both? o_O

That was fun. Sorry for the lack of communication..right now I am without a keyboard.

I need a damn flinstone though and didn't get one...oh well

Boney

Banned
This game is amazing. Had some great hunts earlier.
Quick question though. How can I get a R. Ludroth Claw+ ? It's from a super omega Ludroth right?

Top Bottom