• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Feels hood to be challenged agains with the elite/+ quests online.

Everytime I'm in a group doing a quropeco quests, there is always at least one person that toes "holy shit" when the deviljho comes running in the area.

I'm really disapointed there is no ice great sword this game. The monsters I want to use it against I feel lime I have to block and therefore don't want the long sword or switch axe. : (

Once you kill them, go back to the village and talk to the chief's son. Do the hunting party option that gives you resources. It should have super dung in the rewards box.

Tenbatsu

Gamer @ Heart said:
Feels hood to be challenged agains with the elite/+ quests online.

Everytime I'm in a group doing a quropeco quests, there is always at least one person that toes "holy shit" when the deviljho comes running in the area.

I'm really disapointed there is no ice great sword this game. The monsters I want to use it against I feel lime I have to block and therefore don't want the long sword or switch axe. : (
There are ice great swords but you need the skill awaken.

Hiltz

PounchEnvy said:
What are godbugs for?

I don't think the god bug is useful by itself.

However, you can use the god bug with other items.

god bug + blue mushroom = nutrients (increases your maximum health)

nutrients + honey = mega nutrients (increases your maximum health more)

god bug + wyvern fang = life crystal (mineral ore)

life crystal + wyvern fang = life powder (medicine that heals with one touch)

Coxswain

Hawkian said:
Can anyone explain the justification for the "you can't trade players anything worthwhile" system?
Never played PSO? In a game where you can play the same character online and offline, there's no meaningful way for Capcom to prevent cheating. In a game where you can trade any item to another player, one bad apple cheating and passing out overpowered equipment/items can easily 'taint' a hundred other players. With Monster Hunter's system, a cheater's sphere of influence can never really extend past the people he directly plays with, and even then all he can do is kill monsters for them quickly, which isn't too different from just having a high-level friend help.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I think Deviljho is my favourite Monster Hunter enemy in a long, long time. The fact that he just shows up whenever and wherever the fuck he wants, and can so easily wreck everybody's shit (at least at HR 30~35 or so) brings back a bit of that "Holy shit there are things in this game that are really terrifying and unpredictable I don't even know what the fuck" feeling you'd get way back in MH1 when you'd get a quest to kill Velociprey and end up staring a charging Rathalos in the face, or go to mine Coal and find yourself looking at some huge gross white thing with teeth crawling on the ceiling and shitting lighting at you.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
I don't think the god bug is useful by itself.

However, you can use the god bug with other items.

god bug + blue mushroom = nutrients (increases your maximum health)

nutrients + honey = mega nutrients (increases your maximum health more)

god bug + wyvern fang = life crystal (mineral ore)

life crystal + wyvern fang = life powder (medicine that heals with one touch)
Hmm sounds good.

Poyunch

Boney said:
This game is amazing. Had some great hunts earlier.
Quick question though. How can I get a R. Ludroth Claw+ ? It's from a super omega Ludroth right?
High level quests online.

edit: ach double post

botticus

One of these days I'll figure out Qurupeco. Do you need a certain kind of weapon to be effective against him? I've don't have much problem avoiding his attacks, but actually inflicting damage, not so much.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Great games guys, and great introductory lessons for Barioth xD. Marklar, kefka and trixie: you guys rock!

And I won't order pizza.

Hiltz

botticus said:
One of these days I'll figure out Qurupeco. Do you need a certain kind of weapon to be effective against him? I've don't have much problem avoiding his attacks, but actually inflicting damage, not so much.

Apparently, Quropeco cannot be harmed by attacking either side of its body as your weapon will bounce off of it. You can either attack its head, neck, or wings. You can break its beak, damage its wings (which should give you the flint stone item) or attack its red throat especially when it expands (so that it cannot summon other monsters) and usually causes the it to fall down.

It's generally easy to just stand in front of Quropeco to mainly attack its face and throat area and simply roll underneath it to avoid its pecking attack and sparking explosion attack (where it claps its wings together and jumps forward multiple times).

Throw a dung bomb at the quropeco if it summons a monster to hopefully make it leave the area.

Poyunch

botticus said:
It has a weakness to ice but that's not much help if you're early in the game. Just get a stronger weapon if it's not working out right now.

Hiltz

PounchEnvy said:
It has a weakness to ice but that's not much help if you're early in the game. Just get a stronger weapon if it's not working out right now.

Hmm I didn't know that. Well, you'll eventually be able to get Cha Cha to use an ice attack ability.

Can anyone tell me how the perception skill works? It's supposed to let you see exactly when a creature can be captured but I can't see anything telling me that. What am I supposed to be looking for? And yes I do have the skill activated :p

botticus

PounchEnvy said:
Would a stronger weapon bounce off less, or perhaps one with better sharpness?

Hiltz

botticus said:
Would a stronger weapon bounce off less, or perhaps one with better sharpness?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that would make any difference.

Update: Yes, I believe you are right. Look for weapons that have higher sharpness. However, I don't think having a weapon with stronger raw attack power will make any difference. It seems to be based only on the factor of a weapon's sharpness.

Remfin

Air Zombie Meat said:
Can anyone tell me how the perception skill works? It's supposed to let you see exactly when a creature can be captured but I can't see anything telling me that. What am I supposed to be looking for? And yes I do have the skill activated :p
The icon starts blinking on the map. But there's only an icon in the first place if you have Autotracker or hit it with a paintball/shot.

Hiltz

On second thought, it seems like when a weapon bounces off part of a monster's body, it still does damage but it just lowers the sharpness of your weapon at a faster pace (apparently its twice the speed) than when normally hitting a part of a monster's body that have the weapon bounce off.

Poyunch

Remfin said:
The icon starts blinking on the map. But there's only an icon in the first place if you have Autotracker or hit it with a paintball/shot.
Ahh so that's how people know when they're trappable even when the monster shows no sign of weakness.

Hiltz said:
On second thought, it seems like when a weapon bounces off part of a monster's body, it still does damage but it just lowers the sharpness of your weapon at a faster pace than when normally hitting a part of a monster's body that have the weapon bounce off.
That's exactly right. It dramatically increases the rate at which weapons lose sharpness and deal half the damage they normally would. Of course hitting armored areas mean the damage would already be minimal so having it cut further is bad.

Green sharpness should get you by most obvious parts of monsters with white letting you cut through even the toughest parts.

markatisu

Wow the online is really addictive, been playing now for almost 4hrs and the teamwork aspect is just outstanding. This is the nicest online play (meaning the poeple are nice) I have been through I think ever

Poyunch

Gamer @ Heart said:
That's exactly right. It dramatically increases the rate at which weapons lose sharpness and deal half the damage they normally would. Of course hitting armored areas mean the damage would already be minimal so having it cut further is bad.

Green sharpness should get you by most obvious parts of monsters with white letting you cut through even the toughest parts.
So what about the Sword mode for the Switch Axe? I know it doesn't bounce but do the negative effects of attacking an armored area still apply?

Alex

Sword Mode on Switch-Axe and Long Sword both still suffer the penalty, it just prevents the knockback.

Alex

Duo partner came back! Used my new shiny plate, made my armor, went online to try the Lagi... wow that is def one of the more disappointing urgents in series. It's really fun to fight but it is piss weak, slaughtered that poor thing.... And he dropped multiple plates. What the hell, man?

Armor and Power Charms are back!! And a lil more expensive than before, but thankfully I'm rich as hell now due to all of the Rathian farming, ugh. Lao isn't in this right? So you don't use his claws to upgrade obviously. They have a new event Ancient Dragon or something?

Thunderclap... That must be the new Eager Cleaver. :lol I hated that thing just because of it's name.

john tv

markatisu said:
Wow the online is really addictive, been playing now for almost 4hrs and the teamwork aspect is just outstanding. This is the nicest online play (meaning the poeple are nice) I have been through I think ever
Me too, with US players at least (Japan is always super nice). GAF's MH community has been almost universally awesome -- every player I've played with has been courteous and friendly. Not a single douchebag yet! Keep it up, GAF!

Bankoiia

markatisu said:
I agree, it's refreshing.

volmer

Game is awesome, can't wait to play again tonight. I wonder which server Euro-GAF is using -- is it Recruiting / Wisdom 1 like the US?

Saya

Had some great games last night with Sora, Alice, Amelie, Nick, Killer and Trixie! It's always fun hunting with fellow gaffers!

Hiltz

Anyone know where to find dragon toadstool ?

I heard that they come from the rare white mushroom patches but I've only gotten blue mushroom from those.

Need em as part of the ingredient for making an immunizer.

Leezard

Do I have to use a weapon with green sharpness to be able to hurt Qurupeco? My Bludgeon mace seemed to hurt him fine, that is until it lost its sharpness.. which it does after 5 hits or so. I cant go resharpen my weapon that often, really.

Wired

God damn, no matter what I do I just can't break Qurupeco's wings or beak. Must've done it 5 times so far and no damn luck. Stupid ass game I hope you burn in hell... (I still love you MHtri).

Alex

Do I have to use a weapon with green sharpness to be able to hurt Qurupeco? My Bludgeon mace seemed to hurt him fine, that is until it lost its sharpness.. which it does after 5 hits or so. I cant go resharpen my weapon that often, really.

You can hurt him fine, early weapons barely have green anyway. Try to hit softer spots if you're concerned with the damage loss. Monsters have elaborate damage models, they aren't just one big target so it'll connect cleaner in certain areas.

Looks like some of the good PSP community is on board, theres some of the really nice charts and maps up in the exact same style already.

Here's an impact damage (hammer) chart (monster spoilers):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/943655/59517

Leezard

Alex said:
You can hurt him fine, early weapons barely have green anyway. Try to hit softer spots if you're concerned with the damage loss. Monsters have elaborate damage models, they aren't just one big target so it'll connect cleaner in certain areas.

Looks like some of the good PSP community is on board, theres some of the really nice charts and maps up in the exact same style already.

Here's an impact damage (hammer) chart (monster spoilers):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/943655/59517
Oh, I see. I probably hit him in the low damage areas. I managed to kill him with a great sword though. :D

selig

Banned
Ah, I love my Azu Dahaki. Killed my first Great Baggi. Went in totally unprepared, but managed to do it. Love the shock-effect of the sword. <3

john tv said:
Me too, with US players at least (Japan is always super nice). GAF's MH community has been almost universally awesome -- every player I've played with has been courteous and friendly. Not a single douchebag yet! Keep it up, GAF!

You do realize you totally jinxed yourself right? :p You're going to have awful team members now!

elwes

Tenbatsu said:
It's because your timing to press the button is wrong. Piggy don't like people with bad timing!

I didn't even know I had to do a button press combination with Chubs.

Just thought the little guy was anti-social. :lol

Kyoufu

elwes said:
I didn't even know I had to do a button press combination with Chubs.

Just thought the little guy was anti-social. :lol

What do you expect? The tavern expects him to be in your next meal!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wired said:
God damn, no matter what I do I just can't break Qurupeco's wings or beak. Must've done it 5 times so far and no damn luck. Stupid ass game I hope you burn in hell... (I still love you MHtri).

I can get his beak easily, but I can't get shit against his wings either. Really need that flintstone :(

Kyoufu

I'm still bummed about the lack of control on the Great Sword charge attack. ;(

Anywho, if you want to break something as easy as wings, just whore shock traps. Pretty much a fool-proof method to break a monster's body part.

Top Bottom