• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

mclem

Reknoc said:
I'll be on if you don't mind my being HR4.

I don't, but the quest does, it requires 5 or better. Think you can get a little higher in that time? If not, we don't *have* to do the Barroth quest, that's just an attempt to get folks together.

Wired

mclem said:
Wired: Are you able to log on a short while beforehand and prep a room? It's just crossed my mind that I won't be able to do that in advance due to WoW responsibilities.

Well, as long as I remember :p

Dreavus

selig said:
Whenever I enter the online-hub, I get teary, because of how awesome a MH-game with a Zelda-like overworld would be. Or even better, make it real MMO-style. Leave the "RPG" away, just your typical MH, without small areas, but one big, continuous world, and several big cities where hunters from all over the world can meet. With epic battles, where not 3, but like 9 other hunters fight together with you. And after the fight, you return to the city, where other teams are hanging around, and you and your group start talking about the great hunt and drink beer.

Ah, hell, im going online now. wisdom 1, room 40, eH?

Yeah, it seems like a missed opportunity.

I don't even necessarily want a full MMO; even if the rooms were just a bit bigger... they have the quest board system in place, it's just useless if 4 players is the maximum. I really like the idea of 12+ person rooms where if someone's doing a quest that you don't particularly want to do, there are other people you can join up with instead.

selig said:
I wonder if the few girls you meet online are really girls? :(

:p

Pffft, well Khory Kaijubanne (I too hate the ridiculously limited space for names), my female character, is played by the real thing. Don't tell me I'm alone out there.

DragonGirl said:
Pffft, well Khory Kaijubanne (I too hate the ridiculously limited space for names), my female character, is played by the real thing. Don't tell me I'm alone out there.
There was someone who said she was either an 11 or 13 year old girl who joined us when we played on Saturday (this is sort of in the TMI category for me; I don't really want to know that).

I sort of believe the age part at least since she only wants to farm one star monsters ever.

As far as women monster hunter players on gaf goes... hahaha (edit: seriously, though, I think there might be two or so.)

selig

Banned
DragonGirl said:

Great, then let me add you xD

anyway, just played with two gaffers, the "hunt a Barroth"-quest, two times in a row. First time took awefully long, but second time was super fun. Barroth is kind of like a Great Jaggi, but a bit challenging :p Thanks Ventu and Niels.

Owzers

selig said:

anyway, just played with two gaffers, the "hunt a Barroth"-quest, two times in a row. First time took awefully long, but second time was super fun. Barroth is kind of like a Great Jaggi, but a bit challenging :p Thanks Ventu and Niels.

I think barroth is really annoying because he moves A LOT and he's high up so you can't really get a good hit on him.

sillymonkey321 said:
I think barroth is really annoying because he moves A LOT and he's high up so you can't really get a good hit on him.

I like to stand directly under him and slash away. Maybe I won't kill him but I guarantee he'll never have children.

Apenheul

selig said:

That was indeed a lot of fun. I tried to solo Barroth earlier but I ran out of time. With the three of us he was really easy.

forrest

formerly nacire
I was playing with Mike, Starnes and Adeleine. Not even sure if they were Gaffers, but I picked up a quest and went in and no one was there. The mechanics of online hub and communicating are a bit confusing. (Goes to read manual)

Saya

Anyone up for some HR1* quests? Especially the capture quests (great jaggi & royal ludroth). I'm up for other quests too.. Currently in Wisdom1 / Gate40 / City1

Remfin

When you guys keep talking about G armors, are you talking about the + versions (and misc. new sets at those ranks) or is there yet another level?

Hit HR 25 and "finished" the village part, problem is farming the offline elder dragon/leviathan to make his armor seems like it's going to be a waste of time since in 5 HRs it's going to be weaker than like Drome sets.

Korigama

selig said:
I wonder if the few girls you meet online are really girls? :(

:p

Planning on finally starting online this week, but as another player with a female monster hunter, I can say the answer is no in my case.

jesus christ fucking powderstone quest asoipdhaiow4hro2iq3hw58h38qh3q8y483y58973q90574jasd

five goddamned inches from the base camp and an altaroth suddenly rams me from out of nowhere and the powderstone blows up

i just want some goddamned firestones since the mining spots on the volcano apparently don't want to give them to me

please

Haunted

EmCeeGramr said:
jesus christ fucking powderstone quest asoipdhaiow4hro2iq3hw58h38qh3q8y483y58973q90574jasd

five goddamned inches from the base camp and an altaroth suddenly rams me from out of nowhere and the powderstone blows up

i just want some goddamned firestones since the mining spots on the volcano apparently don't want to give them to me

please
Another strong hunter felled by the mighty Altaroth! You are no match for its magnificience, truly the king of the beasts!

Altaroth.png

Boney

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

please

:lol

Funky Functionality said:
How awesome would the single-player portion of the game be if it were a pseudo-persistent world... Animal Crossing style, you know? I'm just thinking seasonal monsters, various events, changing weather, special quests that only pop up when conditions are right... etc.
Monster Hunter Dos (for the PS2) had a mode with seasons and a village that you could upgrade. It also introduced the arm wrestling mini-game and had a pokemon style game where you could take a monster you captured and as a team duke it out in the arena with another player and his monster.

Capcom wanted Tri to be a do-over, so there's a lot of content they decided not to pull in.

Boney

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Okay, what set of armor should I use to kill Gobul, because he's starting to piss me off now. lol
Just fish him out and you´re all good.
BTW, what weapon do you use?

Teknoman

DragonGirl said:

Well Dragona too, but I dunno if she plays online.

Also I just realized what your last name means :lol

Lance Bone Path said:
Monster Hunter Dos (for the PS2) had a mode with seasons and a village that you could upgrade. It also introduced the arm wrestling mini-game and had a pokemon style game where you could take a monster you captured and as a team duke it out in the arena with another player and his monster.
Well damn, I sure hope they bring those (or similar) features back with 4... this is my first MH game and I am fucking absorbed.

markatisu

I am having a stupid moment, can someone tell me how to get a Jaggi Mask? I know you need 30,000 and some Jaggi Heads. Would like to get that before I move to my next armor, my wife is pushing me to get it :lol

Gino

markatisu said:
I am having a stupid moment, can someone tell me how to get a Jaggi Mask? I know you need 30,000 and some Jaggi Heads. Would like to get that before I move to my next armor, my wife is pushing me to get it :lol
you know you can see everything you need at the blacksmith when you highlight it...

Owzers

i like auto-guard, it compensates for me not knowing the timing of every move and blocks the occassional sudden spin attack.

Also, will a Health armor skill matter if you eat that meal that enlarges your health bar prior to battle? I ate one and it seems like my bar is maxed out so if i got the rathian set...would it be....more maxed out?

mclem

WoW finished up a little early, so I'm heading online for the EU. Barroths if everyone's of required HR, other stuff if not. I'll open the city as soon as I get downstairs... unless someone beat me to it.

Wired

mclem said:
WoW finished up a little early, so I'm heading online for the EU. Barroths if everyone's of required HR, other stuff if not. I'll open the city as soon as I get downstairs... unless someone beat me to it.

I keep getting the 11669 error code, whatever that means. So no dice. This game seriously have the shittiest servers ever.

edit: got in, amazing

gotee12

Just met Lagi offline in the urgent quest to "repel" him. Is he harder later on when I assume you really take him on vs. just driving him away? That was much easier than my first Barroth fight and kinda disappointing to be honest...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
gotee12 said:
Just met Lagi offline in the urgent quest to "repel" him. Is he harder later on when I assume you really take him on vs. just driving him away? That was much easier than my first Barroth fight and kinda disappointing to be honest...

Yeah, repelling is much easier than killing or capturing. It's still not as hard a fight as barroth was when you first meet him.

Vizion28

Banned
I'm I the only one here truly impressed with the graphics? I seriously never thought the Wii was capable of the things that goes on in the game. I was sort of in awe fighting the Lagarcius (sp?). The animations were so life like and I thought what a spectacular beauty.

I was online with 3 other players fighting two huge monsters (I can't spell their names) and several small monsters simultaneously and there wasn't any moments of slow down.

I tip my hat to Capcom for the first true 3rd party game for the Wii that isn't 'gimped' in any way. The Zelda team are going to have their hands full if they want surprass Tri's visuals. Metroid Prime 3 no longer holds the crown for best graphics on Wii. I guarantee you an average Joe wouldn't be able tell if it was running on Wii hardware or 360/PS3 hardware.

JRPereira

EmCeeGramr said:
jesus christ fucking powderstone quest

^ The most suspenseful and difficult quest in all of monster hunter and it doesn't involve any actual combat.

I grabbed the first stone before remembering the mega dash juice. Second stone involved working out a route around Uragaan.

Vizion28 said:
I'm I the only one here truly impressed with the graphics? I seriously never thought the Wii was capable of the things that goes on in the game.

I liked MP3 better - 60fps and looked pretty good. Nice clean visuals. For MH3, I couldn't help but think that I was playing a cleaned up version of the PSP version at higher resolution. Still good, but I would've liked to see it at higher res with better textures and AA/AF.

The thought crossed my mind that the wii probably isn't even as powerful as the once-popular meme of 2 gamecubes taped together while playing earlier last night.

Disclaimer: I am playing on an HDTV.

There's tends to be some slowdown in certain areas online for me when playing with 3 other hunters and with a group of monsters in the same area.

The netcode, as far as I'm concerned, is pretty good for a Wii game, but pretty asstastic when compared to any of my other online gaming experiences (mostly PC games, not that I play much online anymore regardless of system).

I do agree that capcom is one of the few third party devs doing wii games right.

Vizion28 said:
I'm I the only one here truly impressed with the graphics? I seriously never thought the Wii was capable of the things that goes on in the game. I was sort of in awe fighting the Lagarcius (sp?). The animations were so life like and I thought what a spectacular beauty.

It doesn't look good on my HDTV. Looks blurry and almost hard to make out.

Teknoman said:
Are you EU or NA?

NA

Teknoman said:
Well Dragona too, but I dunno if she plays online.

Also I just realized what your last name means :lol

Yeah, I'm clever that way.

I'm also heading online in half an hour, that's 6:30 CST to do another official Journal Hunt, so come join Khory.

Anybody reading these things? Tonight's hunt will be posted tomorrow. I had a little schedule shift.

Edit: NA

Top Bottom