• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Arzehn

Just started, been playing offline...

Whats the etiquette for looting when playing online? Like is it first one to skin the monster gets it?

Teknoman

Just took down the "Queen of the Earth". Man that was tense :lol

EDIT: Doesnt matter who takes down what, everyone gets their own number of carves. So no worries about loot drops.

tenchir

Finally completed my Lagiacrus set and got water, fire, lightning elemental weapons for GS/LS. I got the Swimmer, Elemental Atk Up, Razor Sharp, Sharpness +1, and Expert skill. I am not sure if I should complete the 5* offline game or I should start playing online. I am still at HR1.

Luigiv

Well just took down Barroth and Gobul today. Killed them both on the first go but used way too many potions in the process :lol.

Teknoman

tenchir said:
Finally completed my Lagiacrus set and got water, fire, lightning elemental weapons for GS/LS. I got the Swimmer, Elemental Atk Up, Razor Sharp, Sharpness +1, and Expert skill. I am not sure if I should complete the 5* offline game or I should start playing online. I am still at HR1.

At this point you should probably start getting some group hunts under your belt.

Eteric Rice

Tenbatsu said:
Apparently, those in bold are the result of implementing Wiispeak. The japanese version don't suffer from all that. Remember what the producer said? 'If we include this we got to take out that' Capcom tried to cater to western needs by implementing Wiispeak however I think it backfire.

Yeah, that or they needed to release a headset.

Tenbatsu

FootNinja said:
How hard is deviljho compared to say...Hard rank rathalos? Is his attack power so immense? is his hit box just really big? what makes him scary?
You fought it already? My favorite MH monster btw.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Tenbatsu said:
You fought it already? My favorite MH monster btw.
I haven't, but I am anticipating the fight. How hard would you say he is? Ive only recently gotten into hard rank quests, so he shouldn't be too far off.

FootNinja said:
How hard is deviljho compared to say...Hard rank rathalos? Is his attack power so immense? is his hit box just really big? what makes him scary?

The bane of my existence. Rathalos can be brutal but because he is so familiar he isnt scary.
Deviljho is just an ugly ugly dude that hits really freaking hard. That and he is tall meaning there is only two spots to hit consistently/easily.

markot

Banned
Should I buy items and equiptment or look to make my own most of the time?

Also as well.

I was on my first quest, and my bags were full >.> What do I do? I dont want to junk stuff... do you just have to make sure your bags are pretty empty before going?

markot said:

Also as well.

I was on my first quest, and my bags were full >.> What do I do? I dont want to junk stuff... do you just have to make sure your bags are pretty empty before going?

When doing solo quest, make sure to bring along 10 Mega and regular potions, whetstones, cooked steaks, and a bug net/pickaxe. That should be standard. Add extra stuff like flashbombs, drinks, or traps when you its appropriate. You shouldnt have an inventory problem for most quests unless they are gathering ones. At that point, scrap the usless bugs or stones you already collected a ton of in your efforts to get rarer things.

You will be making all the items that are worth a dam like mega potions and traps. The easiest way to do it is buy/gather alot of what you need and combine a ton of the item in the box all at once. Its takes into account the combo books and saves you from having to retrieve and put back all the items that your making. If you make alot at one time, you dont have to worry about it for a period of time which is nice.

markot

Banned
Ummmm...

Also.

I have teh mats for a bone sword 2h, but I can also buy one. Would they have the same stats or do ones you make have better stuff?

Poyunch

Damn Laggi got away. He started limping with only 2 minutes left underwater. Almost no chance. I guess my Hypnos Knife is better for online support use than for solo-ing.

Tenbatsu

FootNinja said:
I haven't, but I am anticipating the fight. How hard would you say he is? Ive only recently gotten into hard rank quests, so he shouldn't be too far off.
First of all, the music. Its like a grand fucking entrance for him. That music send chill down my spine every time I hear it. Difficulty wise, I personally find him to be harder than Diablos as he is new. His attacking range is very wide and he is ultra aggressive. Once he set his sights on you, he won't let you off without a fight. Anw you will know when you fight him.

I really love fighting him. I can tackle him alone but my timing sucks as compared to the japanese.

Luigiv

markot said:

Also as well.

There's a chest in your house that you can store items in.

Tenbatsu said:
It won't be a waste as they are upgradable to be the same as G level armor, only with different skills point distribution/slots/skills.

Yeah, this game is truly beautiful. Top notch art direction. Plus the NA ver is so sharp as compared to the JP one due to the black borders which makes it even better looking.
Well how far do the upgrades take it? I'm not going to waste time and armor spheres if the max it goes to is about the base or first level upgrade of G rank armor.

Also anyone who is "blown away" by the visuals needs their fucking eyes checked. It's the same fucking engine, only now with tons of slowdown in a 4 person fight with a large monster.

Teknoman

MickeyKnox said:
Well how far do the upgrades take it? I'm not going to waste time and armor spheres if the max it goes to is about the base or first level upgrade of G rank armor.

Also anyone who is "blown away" by the visuals needs their fucking eyes checked. It's the same fucking engine, only now with tons of slowdown in a 4 person fight with a large monster.

Just how large is large? Havent run into any noticeable slowdown when going up against a Rathian 4p...but thats the biggest thing i've fought, so maybe something further down the line?

Tenbatsu

MickeyKnox said:

A maxed out Jaggi armor = same defense as a maxed out Jaggi G armor only with different skill sets/skills points distribution/slots.

I may be blind but a good looking game is still a good looking game. For a Wii title, MH3 is gorgeous:D
Thanks to Wiispeak, slowdown is only present in the NA ver I suppose or maybe due to bad connection, never really encounter it in the japanese version.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Going to go out on a limb and say this game has the greatest NPC translation's I've ever had the pleasure of reading in a video game.

I habitually skip the lines in games like this, even previous monster hunter games, but almost everything they say is clever and in a way that games usually aren't.

The beauty of it is that I've pumped over 100 hours into this game already, and I am Honestly just getting started.

Kevtones

I guess because I have shitty vision this game looks great on a 32' LCD. Fuck the haters.

Also, thanks to Robby and K1A for helping out with Barroth. It took awhile but YAY I'm a 2-star!

Ogni-XR21

Yesterday I got "skill modifier" (or something like that) in my HR-point report after 2 games while playing online. After the first time there was a text in the chat window from Capcom about bans for people cheating.

I can't guarantee that the other players didn't do anything that is not allowed but I for my part am totally legit.

Oh and yet again: Wii speak is total shit, nothing but mumbling and echoes and OMG-how-should-anyone-understand-this crap. It's getting worse the more players use it and the worst part is that I would prefer keyboard chat but since this group is now all wii-speak users no one wants to use the keyboard any more...

Korigama

After finally being able to forge a Switch Axe, I can easily say it's some of the most fun I've had with the game so far (much like learning to use a Lance was before it). The Herbivore Egg Hunt quest was probably the most annoying one yet, though.

Alex

Barioth is a bit of an asshole, he's like Tigrex's crackhead roommate.

Not terribly fun to duo that, takes about ~25 mins in current gear and almost everything he does one shots me as a gunner. Luckily I am a shield whore of a gunner, so I haven't died against him yet, but I sure do curse a lot as he costs me two mega potions every god damn hit and he has multiple moves to bypass my guard.

Exhaust shot is a REALLY, REALLY nice addition. At least it takes a bit of the edge off of him. I swear to god he ignores the Sneak skill though though.

Oh well, 3 quick kills, got the parts I need for weapons I want, moving on!

May actually need at least a third for Jhen it seems like. Going to try it without, but it sounds like he'll be harder to duo than Lao and ... Crab Guy. I don't like breaking our series spanning duo streak though!

Saya

YES! Finally took down that Rathian. Feels good! Now to work on that Gigginox. :D

21cs9ys.jpg

dsister44

PounchEnvy said:
Damn Laggi got away. He started limping with only 2 minutes left underwater. Almost no chance. I guess my Hypnos Knife is better for online support use than for solo-ing.

yeah using sns is starting to get difficult cos of its amazingly crap damage output.

Just killed Laggi with a hypnos knife and I would give these tips

1. when he falls asleep, plant large bombs near his head and set them off with a small bomb

2. on land, aim for the tail, you can do a decent amount of damage plus cutting it off reduces his attack range and gives you extra drops

3. Bring stormsender seeds. They cure you of thunderblight (status effect which make sit easier to stun you) and also raises your resistance to thunder

4. if your crap at water battles like me, stay on the surface. he'll follow you meaning that you have less dimensions to worry about

5. when your underwater, attack his chest just belowhis left arm, and he somehow cant hit you with most of his attacks. also his chest is his weakpoint anyway

Kyoufu

Repelling monsters means they return in the same quest with the health they repelled with.

This mechanic can be abused by simply saving before the re-match and continuously re-loading your save after every kill.

Can do this with any monster that can be repelled.

my wii and game should be with me later today, but I imagine that the repel mechanic hasn't changed since the first MH.

confirm/deny ?

Kyoufu

Actually, I just remembered that they don't need to be repelled. Dying 3 times to end the quest will also save the monster's health at whatever it had when you failed. This only worked for Elders/Ancients that could actually repel from a fight.

Alex

Kyoufu said:
Repelling monsters means they return in the same quest with the health they repelled with.

This mechanic can be abused by simply saving before the re-match and continuously re-loading your save after every kill.

Can do this with any monster that can be repelled.

my wii and game should be with me later today, but I imagine that the repel mechanic hasn't changed since the first MH.

confirm/deny ?

I can't remember PS2, but as of MHFU health carry over did not work on event monsters like Lao. As for things like Teostra/Fatalis, etc I'd assume it's the same deal.

Kyoufu

Air Zombie Meat said:
What's the benefit of using a flash bomb to stun a big monster? They get the ko stars spinning round their head but they still keep attacking.

Offensively, they become stationary targets for you to wail on. Very advantageous to use them back-to-back. Pretty much easymode if you spam them.

Defensively, you can flash them and then heal up/sharpen or whatever.

Setvan2734 said:
So, how exactly is a Barroth Scalp obtained? do I need to do anything special to it? or just kill it and loot.

Break the head. Might need impact damage though, not sure about that.

Alex

Setvan2734 said:
So, how exactly is a Barroth Scalp obtained? do I need to do anything special to it? or just kill it and loot.

Break it's head. You can possibly get some from the crown and rewards if you do.

What's the benefit of using a flash bomb to stun a big monster? They get the ko stars spinning round their head but they still keep attacking.

Different monsters react differently. Some it will keep in place so you can bomb or rest or cut off a tail (although sometimes they will just spam tail spin, it's luck) others will go bananas.

Flash bombs were nerfed a fair bit in general, monsters tend to be more aggressive under the effects, they're harder to throw, they dont last as long and they dont work on take offs compared to previous games.

They were just too powerful before considering you could have everyone bring some then combine more on the field.

PS: The item kid online is selling Thunderbugs for us ATM, 700 a pop.

Interesting, thanks guys. Guess I'll keep experimenting with em. It was Barroth I used it on, I was expecting him to just stand there but instead he just went a bit crazy with tail whips. :lol I love all the little nuances in the game like this.

Also managed to feed an exhausted Quropeco with tinged meat, pretty funny.

Luigiv

MickeyKnox said:

No it's not, it's very obviously a completely different engine. Seriously, actually play an old MH with MH3 side by side on the same display. The gap is much larger then your rose tinted glasses makes you originally think.

I really should be putting more time into online play, but i'm trying to get the Ludroth Bone Sword so I can kill the Goddamn Barroth Offline. My Jawblade sword just won't stay sharp enough long enough.

mclem

Does Tinged Meat count as a trap for tranquing purposes? And, on a similar note, will I ever be able to manufacture Thunderbugs in the farm?

Took me 45 minutes and two deaths to defeat Diablos offline.

It's like a Barroth 2.0, I'd recommend take LOTS of Sonic Bombs, do not let the motherfucker dig.

:'(

Alex

The visuals are really nice Great upgrades to textures, lighting, animation and of course water and other effects. Spiffier art direction too in environments, I just lament the image quality.

No matter what though the aesthetics of Monster Hunter would make it look great either way. It's one of those sadly few titles that kind of blends a lot of Japanese and Western tinges with a good Earthy scheme. Things like that tend to stick out with the hideousness assault on the senses the average JRPG can launch nowadays.

Also, that fucker with the thunderbugs now halves the price right after I buy a ridiculous amount of them... ARGH.
Took me 45 minutes and two deaths to defeat Diablos offline.

It's like a Barroth 2.0, I'd recommend take LOTS of Sonic Bombs, do not let the motherfucker dig.

:'(

Diablos isn't too bad, he's barely changed from before except he turns into Speedy Gonzales when he enrages. The good thing about Diablos is that he's extremely vulnerable to basically everything. Sonic, Flash, Paraylze procs, both types of traps.

His tunneling has a lot more homing in Tri than it did before though, but if you're running a shield class it's easy to block his uprises. Running a Bowgun on him with a shield and good pellet potential really rocks his face. Lances and Bowguns have always put the hurt on Diablos.

markatisu

OK I am capped at HR8, is that because I have not finished all the 1* online quests? I have been helping out lots of people but the last 2 times on the experience page it says I cannot go past HR8

Haunted

Barioth and Diablos are both damn tough, imo. I have a lot more problems against the fast enemies than slower ones (even if those hit harder).

markatisu said:
OK I am capped at HR8, is that because I have not finished all the 1* online quests? I have been helping out lots of people but the last 2 times on the experience page it says I cannot go past HR8
Yup.

Baker

Banned
tenchir said:
How do you even get a Lag set? I've both beat and captured him solo but I still don't even have a Lag helmet or waist available to create.

Top Bottom