• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

d0c_zaius said:
Yea at first I was all about helping people up to speed, and 90 hours later I can go without HR 1 and 2 stuff (but Ill still help most of the time).

We had someone (maybe from GAF) with a HR10 join a room of 3 18s, hanging around when it was obvious what we were doing. We do our quest, then they post their Peco quest. People start leaving and I feel bad for the guy, so I accept the quest. Then I see the text "hurry up FFS", to which I replied by leaving the room.
:lol :lol :lol
Wow, who was that? Sounds like an ass.

noonche

Vizion28 said:
I'm I the only one here truly impressed with the graphics? I seriously never thought the Wii was capable of the things that goes on in the game. I was sort of in awe fighting the Lagarcius (sp?). The animations were so life like and I thought what a spectacular beauty.

I was online with 3 other players fighting two huge monsters (I can't spell their names) and several small monsters simultaneously and there wasn't any moments of slow down.

I tip my hat to Capcom for the first true 3rd party game for the Wii that isn't 'gimped' in any way. The Zelda team are going to have their hands full if they want surprass Tri's visuals. Metroid Prime 3 no longer holds the crown for best graphics on Wii. I guarantee you an average Joe wouldn't be able tell if it was running on Wii hardware or 360/PS3 hardware.

I absolutely adore playing the game but I can't agree with anything you've said.

Graphically:
* The text is blurry and hard to read on my hd set.
* The animations don't seem significantly better than on PS2/PSP.
* I've seen the game crawl down to less than half speed in online multiplayer.
* It doesn't take up the full-screen and has black borders on the sides even when the Wii menu doesn't.

Other technical issues:
* MHFU's ProLogic mix actually used the rear channels. I've never heard anything out of them on Tri.
* WiiSpeak sucks. Even with the above mentioned surround off.
* 4 players per city = WTF.
* Can't message and add offline players.

markatisu

OK if anyone wants to hunt Qurupeco I am online now, NA GAF Server City 6. Or any other quests (I am HR8)

I am online now! Send me a message in-game!

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What exactly is the point of those two 4 stars Harvest Tour quests?

I'm just standing there near the blue box waiting for 5 mins for some ticket to show up so i can deliver it to my red box, all that for 15z? What the fuck.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Bisnic said:

I'm just standing there near the blue box waiting for 5 mins for some ticket to show up so i can deliver it to my red box, all that for 15z? What the fuck.
This
Kad5 said:
How do I get items from places other than moga woods without doing a quest?

ashism

Bisnic said:

For harvesting materials obviously.

schlew said:
Alright guys, take it easy on me, because this question is likely to knock you on your ass.

I got far enough that I can accept my first Guild Quest (the 5 Mushrooms one), and this green box appears above my characters head. The icon looks like an open green book. I can't leave the village, so I'm kind of stuck.

I'm sure I'm just an idiot.

Thanks in advance.

Heh! I had the same freaking trouble. It took me a few tries before I figured out I needed to take the boat. Chatty girl at the counter coulda' mentioned that.

Remfin

alske said:
Other technical issues:
* MHFU's ProLogic mix actually used the rear channels. I've never heard anything out of them on Tri.
So much of the game is done right, but ever single thing with the online mode is done wrong right down to cats that won't stop meowing on the city gate screen :lol If it's true that the Japanese version had 10-person cities then that fixes a lot of the issues and I wish we had that version.

And yes, the people who kept joining my room were Gaf. Half I knew and half had Gaf stuff in their profiles.

Alex

The player animations are the exact same since MH1, the monster animations however are wildly better, not only in pure execution but how they blend, which is extremely noticeable since most of the "I'm gonna stand here, feel free to smack me" transitions have been removed. This is hugely noticible on the Rath duo.

The game in terms of asset work, art direction and some tech tweaks looks a fair bit better than Dos and a giant heaping amount better than MHFU.

Freedom 3 seems to have upgraded some tech though on the PSP side. It looks way freaking better than I figured it would. I really expected some of the environments to get butchered but what they've shown so far keeps a lot of things in tact. Obviously the lighting, texturing and filtering (especially on the water) is worse, but it's still closer to Tri than MHFU was to Dos.

Teknoman

Finally snagged a long sword...now to just get down when I want to rotate between SnS and LS.

PounchEnvy said:
Wait armor has custom colors? Is that why some rock out the red Ludroth armor.

Apparently after beating all the Moga Forest quests (or was it just up to a certain point) you can edit colors on armor.

Boney

Banned
So I joined a room, 2 guys were hunting and another was fooling around. Started talking, second thing he says to me "Ian?", I of course puzzled answer with a huh. Says leave, and doesn't answers back at all.

Then the two other guys come back start getting crazy talk, I was seriously laughing, I ask if we can do the level 2 urgent and they just stay still and don't do anything for about 10 minutes.

What´s up with that. If you wanted me to leave, you could´ve just said so. (I know he said "leave" but it was so sudden, and then clamed up, so didn't know what the hell was happening.)

PounchEnvy said:
Wait armor has custom colors? Is that why some rock out the red Ludroth armor?
After killing your first Lagiacrus in SP. And White Ludroth is where it's at.

Poyunch

Teknoman said:
Finally snagged a long sword...now to just get down when I want to rotate between SnS and LS.

Apparently after beating all the Moga Forest quests (or was it just up to a certain point) you can edit colors on armor.
I should get back to single player then. :lol I so want that red Ludroth armor.

d0c_zaius

Boney said:
So I joined a room, 2 guys were hunting and another was fooling around. Started talking, second thing he says to me "Ian?", I of course puzzled answer with a huh. Says leave, and doesn't answers back at all.

Then the two other guys come back start getting crazy talk, I was seriously laughing, I ask if we can do the level 2 urgent and they just stay still and don't do anything for about 10 minutes.

What´s up with that. If you wanted me to leave, you could´ve just said so. (I know he said "leave" but it was so sudden, and then clamed up, so didn't know what the hell was happening.)

After killing your first Lagiacrus in SP. And White Ludroth is where it's at.

Ian is short for rathian, Los for rathalos. yea I was like wtf back when I first heard it too.

and yup white ludroth kept me chilln for a while.

Boney

Banned
Ohh that explains something. I still don´t get why they just vanished. Oh well, every other player and experience has been very positive.

Ridley327

I haven't played in a couple of days (been deep into Nier), but I think I shall be getting back in tomorrow. I still need to do some 2-star missions online. :lol

Tenbatsu

alske said:
I absolutely adore playing the game but I can't agree with anything you've said.

Graphically:
* The text is blurry and hard to read on my hd set.
* The animations don't seem significantly better than on PS2/PSP.
* I've seen the game crawl down to less than half speed in online multiplayer.
* It doesn't take up the full-screen and has black borders on the sides even when the Wii menu doesn't.

Other technical issues:
Apparently, those in bold are the result of implementing Wiispeak. The japanese version don't suffer from all that. Remember what the producer said? 'If we include this we got to take out that' Capcom tried to cater to western needs by implementing Wiispeak however I think it backfire.

Teknoman

Tenbatsu said:
Apparently, those in bold are the result of implementing Wiispeak. The japanese version don't suffer from all that. Remember what the producer said? 'If we include this we got to take out that' Capcom tried to cater to western needs by implementing Wiispeak however I think it backfire.

I havent run into any slowdown, and the black borders really arent that noticeable, but wii speak does suck. Not sure how Capcom made sure wiispeak would be implemented, yet voices come through sounding muffled and unclear most of the time.

forrest

formerly nacire
So offline I've beat all quest through 5* and I'm about to fight the Ceadeus. Taking a break tonight to do some online HR grinding. I'm only at HR4 and have a few 1* gathering quests before moving on to 2* quests. Anyone interested in joining is welcome as I'll leave the group open.

EmCeeGramr said:
I did this and still ran out of time.

Shock Traps only held him for about 5 seconds (he wasn't in rage mode) and I could only hit his tail once or twice before he broke free. I managed to take his tail off faster, granted, but I still can't do any REAL damage to the thing. I never saw it limp or show any signs of weakness. He just rages and rages constantly and goes underground and it's impossible to get any hits on him, even with traps. Hell, with a pitfall trap and sonic bombs, his head moves around so much that I can't hit that with my axe, and even at max sharpness it usually bounces off his back. :\

Actually the constant raging shows hes weak, if he rages every time you hit him once then its a sign.

Just trap him, tranq when you can and see if that works.

Edit: seems is weakest spot is his belly? Guess he got changed a bunch

Thanks to everyone for the great quests. Loads of gaffers on tonight.

PounchEnvy said:
Man Barioth murdered our group. His rage mode is deadly. :lol

That was my first time facing him(Jason here). I had a huge health bonus from a meal and figured healing didn't need to done after one hit. No sooner did that sentiment cross my mind did that bastard do some crazy leap from the side of an ice wall and snatched away my remaining health.

Anyway, it seems I had a bit of trouble getting my name to register on other people's rosters. I would have them but they didn't show me. This happened with 2 other players tonight. Baker(Selena) and I messed around with requests quite a while before it actually showed. Next time you're online, see if I'm on your roster.

noonche

Tenbatsu said:

Well that sucks. :| 12-16 player cities would make the online for this game way way better.

john tv

It'd be nice if they made at least some servers not support WiiSpeak in exchange for having 10-person cities. It was way, way better in the JP version when you didn't have such tight restrictions.

Poyunch

Chopper Dave said:
Thanks to everyone for the great quests. Loads of gaffers on tonight.

That was my first time facing him(Jason here). I had a huge health bonus from a meal and figured healing didn't need to done after one hit. No sooner did that sentiment cross my mind did that bastard do some crazy leap from the side of an ice wall and snatched away my remaining health.

Anyway, it seems I had a bit of trouble getting my name to register on other people's rosters. I would have them but they didn't show me. This happened with 2 other players tonight. Baker(Selena) and I messed around with requests quite a while before it actually showed. Next time you're online, see if I'm on your roster.
Yeah I had a huge amount of health and he just jumped at me and I died immediately. I guess I should get some new equipment.

Lonely1 said:
which is the GAF server again?
Recruiting -> Wisdom 1 -> City Gate 40

Ridley327

john tv said:
It'd be nice if they made at least some servers not support WiiSpeak in exchange for having 10-person cities. It was way, way better in the JP version when you didn't have such tight restrictions.

It wouldn't be so bad if it even had the same player total as MH1 on the PS2 (that did 8 in a city), but it can be a real pain. I don't even know if I'm ever going to be able to play with you and sprsk. :lol

Dreavus

john tv said:

Man, why didn't they think of that? :(

I wonder why it had to be an all or nothing deal when it comes to wii speak.

john tv

Ridley327 said:
It wouldn't be so bad if it even had the same player total as MH1 on the PS2 (that did 8 in a city), but it can be a real pain. I don't even know if I'm ever going to be able to play with you and sprsk. :lol
Haha. Yeah sorry for that one time -- we were helping a noob friend and just waiting for him to show up. We play almost every night Japan time (like 11pm to 3am, so I guess...10am to 2pm eastern), so hopefully we can hook up one of these days.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Tried the 1st Long Sword, but i still prefer my Great Sword. I wasted so much whetstones on that Barrioth, not to mention it took me longer to kill him, compared to using my Great Sword. The only nice thing is the (rare) electric shock it does sometimes.

Dreavus

Does anyone know what they mean by an "upper rank" quest? I'm eyeing some wyvern stones to upgrade a weapon, but it says on the wiki you get them as rewards from multiple bosses that are "upper rank". Is that like new game + or something?

I'm getting a keyboard, I wasted my money on Wiispeak, stupid ear raping piece of shit. It's so goddamn LOUD and garbled and hard to understand.

Van Owen

Banned
Time, ANOTHER hard lockup while playing online forcing me to unplug my Wii. Guess it means I should stop playing for the night.

At least I got that Goldenfish quest done though...

Valcrist

Dreavus said:
Does anyone know what they mean by an "upper rank" quest? I'm eyeing some wyvern stones to upgrade a weapon, but it says on the wiki you get them as rewards from multiple bosses that are "upper rank". Is that like new game + or something?

Basically any bosses 4* online and up give you "+" materials.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Dreavus said:
When you get to HR 31, you are allowed to do hard rank quests. In hard rank quests, all of the monsters are upped in stats, and the rewards are different. You will also start quests in the middle of a random zone and have to wait for your box supplies to arrive sometime during the quest.

After hard rank, there is G rank (not sure what they call it in tri, but this is what I know it by) which is the final level of difficulty.

L00P

Oh man, the lance's advancing guard move thingy is sooo op. It doesn't cost as much stamina as from plainly blocking a powerful attack. It's like dodging, except you dodge right to their faces. So awesome

markatisu

Goddamn just got done with a Baroth hunt and that fucker kept on going and going, no tail and all.

Good group tonight, only problem was the first fight some body took all the stuff and then we lost him and so we were sol

After that it was really good

Tenbatsu

john tv said:
Haha. Yeah sorry for that one time -- we were helping a noob friend and just waiting for him to show up. We play almost every night Japan time (like 11pm to 3am, so I guess...10am to 2pm eastern), so hopefully we can hook up one of these days.
Man how you guys survive at work the next day? o_O

Hiltz

Beat the Gigginox quest which was pretty easy using switch axe especially since it moves pretty slowly. The monster sure is ugly and had some trouble at times figuring out which part was its head and which was its ass.

It managed to snatch me once while hanging from the ceiling. I didn't realize that the eggs it lays could explode and found out the hard way while standing next to it.

Rathian boss is up next and I'm kind of intimidated to fight it. I hear it is weak to the element of thunder and dragon. Before taking on her, I'll be spending some time fighting more of Gigginox and perhaps Gobul to obtain better armor sets.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just did the event quest for 4 Jaggi solo and damned if I still dont need one more head to make the damned armor. :/

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
How hard is deviljho compared to say...Hard rank rathalos? Is his attack power so immense? is his hit box just really big? what makes him scary?

Top Bottom