• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Nicktals

Banned
markatisu said:
OK I am capped at HR8, is that because I have not finished all the 1* online quests? I have been helping out lots of people but the last 2 times on the experience page it says I cannot go past HR8

Go here: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Online_Quests

Look at the 1 star quests that say "key quest". Complete all of those and your 1 star urgent quest will open. Beat that, and you can move to higher HRs

Haunted said:

Nope. And this is something I see online a lot too. You don't have to do them all. Just certain ones.

mclem

markatisu said:
OK I am capped at HR8, is that because I have not finished all the 1* online quests? I have been helping out lots of people but the last 2 times on the experience page it says I cannot go past HR8

You don't need to do all of them, but you do need to do the Urgent quest. If it's not available, then I guess there's something you still need to do first.

I got my Urgent without having done the capping of Great Jaggi or Royal Ludroth.

demonkaze

Baker said:
How do you even get a Lag set? I've both beat and captured him solo but I still don't even have a Lag helmet or waist available to create.

You need a Lag plate for the legs, cant remember what you needed for the head.

Gwanatu T

Anomarad said:
Just started, been playing offline...

Whats the etiquette for looting when playing online? Like is it first one to skin the monster gets it?

There is no shared loot in this game, so feel free to carve away. Everyone get's their own loot and their own corpse to carve.

Coxswain

I'm not sure you'd need to be a particularly high level to repel Jhen. When I fought it for my HR30 Urgent, aside from me running up to break the two holes on his back in the first part, everybody spent pretty much the whole time just using the supplied siege weapons. As long as you can survive one of his hits and bring enough healing crap to get ready for the next one, it should be pretty easy to just repel him by whoring the ship's weapons the whole time.

Coxswain said:
I'm not sure you'd need to be a particularly high level to repel Jhen. When I fought it for my HR30 Urgent, aside from me running up to break the two holes on his back in the first part, everybody spent pretty much the whole time just using the supplied siege weapons. As long as you can survive one of his hits and bring enough healing crap to get ready for the next one, it should be pretty easy to just repel him by whoring the ship's weapons the whole time.

Basically yeah. Make sure to bring 10 honeys and some blue Mushrooms/herbs to make more potions until you know enough about his pattern to dodge most things.

You will be cannonballing the majority of the fight, especially if you plan on breaking the tusks. You can attack and break his feet to slow him down as well.

Whatever happens, make sure there is someone on the team that knows how and when to use the items on the ship otherwise it will most definitely be destroyed.

Haunted said:
Barioth and Diablos are both damn tough, imo. I have a lot more problems against the fast enemies than slower ones (even if those hit harder).

Agreed. Diablos is tough, but I'm getting closer. Barioth though, goddamn. I was expecting a monster, not a freaking tornado flipping across the screen at the speed of sound.

After getting wrecked by those two, I decided to make some progress and try Rathalos, which I had been dreading.

And it was... kinda easy? Took a while, and I got fireballed point-blank once for being careless, but other than that, simple and no real difficulties.

forrest

formerly nacire
Alex said:
The visuals are really nice Great upgrades to textures, lighting, animation and of course water and other effects. Spiffier art direction too in environments, I just lament the image quality.

Having 50 hours logged onto the offline mode while playing on Dolphin and now just starting online mode on Wii, I have to agree. The difference in 480 to 1080 makes me weep a little. Honestly, the creature animations are some of the best I've seen in a long time. (except the ones where the creatures are entering or leaving a body of water.

It's question time again: Is there a good way to harvest Stones?

I want to make a bagillion Flash Bombs to make these hard monsters like Diablos easier so I told all my felyines to farm Flash Bugs for 10 cycles. I came back to over 250 Flash Bugs! :lol

Now I need Sap Plants and Stones to make some Bomb Casing. I can very easily do the farm exploit method agian for the Sap Plants but what about Stones? Is there a fast way to accumulate a lot of them?

Diablos kicked our teeth in when he gets enraged. I can beat him offline fine by myself but my freinds struggle online. I figure tons of Flash Bombs and Shock Traps should ease him up.

Nicktals

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I want to make a bagillion Flash Bombs to make these hard monsters like Diablos easier so I told all my felyines to farm Flash Bugs for 10 cycles. I came back to over 250 Flash Bugs! :lol

Now I need Sap Plants and Stones to make some Bomb Casing. I can very easily do the farm exploit method agian for the Sap Plants but what about Stones? Is there a fast way to accumulate a lot of them?

Diablos kicked our teeth in when he gets enraged. I can beat him offline fine by myself but my freinds struggle online. I figure tons of Flash Bombs and Shock Traps should ease him up.

You can use iron ore to make bomb cases too (and if i'm remembering correctly, it can often result in 2 cases per combination instead of just one).

Nicktals said:
You can use iron ore to make bomb cases too (and if i'm remembering correctly, it can often result in 2 cases per combination instead of just one).
OH YEAH I totally forgot about that.

I might have a lot of iron ore I have to check. Is there a better way to harvest that as well? :lol

EDIT: Would the Combo Plus armor skill guarantee I got the maximum about of casings per iron ore? It sounds like it would but I'm not sure.

Nicktals

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I might have a lot of iron ore I have to check. Is there a better way to harvest that as well? :lol

EDIT: Would the Combo Plus armor skill guarantee I got the maximum about of casings per iron ore? It sounds like it would but I'm not sure.

I don't remember...but use the pointer when looking at your skills or whatever and it gives you an explanation of what each skill does.

EDIT: If there really is no requirement for Jhen, can someone give a quick strategy for people who haven't fought him, so that we don't totally blow it for our team?

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Get a mining armor set and go mining, no other way. Its random.

Yuhoo, stock up a bunch of godbug, flashbug, well-done steak, blue mushroom, herbs, sap plant, fire herb, ivy!!! I love sandstorm!!:D

Nicktals

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Get a mining armor set and go mining, no other way. Its random.

Yuhoo, stock up a bunch of godbug, flashbug, well-done steak, blue mushroom, herbs, sap plant, fire herb, ivy!!! I love sandstorm!!:D

So is this really the only chance we'll have to get jhen+ materials?, or do they often do event quests again at some point? if so i'm going to have to really grind to get up to 30 or whatever it is.

JRPereira

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

The online trader has stones I believe.

As soon as I got the honey production going at the farm I pretty much massed as much as I could. The farm is amazingly good at giving you huge surpluses of stuff that you're essentially dependent on, and it only takes a run or two in the forest to get enough RP's enough for a ton of goodies.

Sorry to the guy I more or less ignored last night. Had hunkered down to complete some quests so I could start doing quests at my rank rather than just collect XP far past my current max HR.

I've got a lagi to fight as the 2* urgent. Probably won't be able to do that one solo.

So does gaf have a general channel or city that you guys go to?

If not, we should choose one of the empty cities for gaffers to play at so we dont have to arrange meetups here as much.

--

Oh and, ive been having a hard time getting 4 velvety hides from giggis, any suggestions?

Tenbatsu

Nicktals said:
So is this really the only chance we'll have to get jhen+ materials?, or do they often do event quests again at some point? if so i'm going to have to really grind to get up to 30 or whatever it is.
If you are on low level, you can participate in the HR1~ quest. There will be another quest for high level players HR31~ where you are able to kill it. Sand storm happens every 2 - 3 weeks and its your only chance to fight it. Not sure how long the event quest will last for the NA version, japanese ver lasted for 3 days.

demonkaze

Setvan2734 said:
So does gaf have a general channel or city that you guys go to?

If not, we should choose one of the empty cities for gaffers to play at so we dont have to arrange meetups here as much.

Yeah, its Recruiting - Wisdom 1

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
JRPereira said:
The online trader has stones I believe.

As soon as I got the honey production going at the farm I pretty much massed as much as I could. The farm is amazingly good at giving you huge surpluses of stuff that you're essentially dependent on, and it only takes a run or two in the forest to get enough RP's enough for a ton of goodies.

Sorry to the guy I more or less ignored last night. Had hunkered down to complete some quests so I could start doing quests at my rank rather than just collect XP far past my current max HR.

I've got a lagi to fight as the 2* urgent. Probably won't be able to do that one solo.

Online trader has stones SOMETIMES, last time I saw her have some I took advantage and got 300 of them, lol. Now I have 300 harvest stones and I never have to worry about shit.

I just need some thunder bugs. Hopefully there's a sandstorm next weekend so we can get some rare goods at the jamaican guy's shop.

Haunted

Nicktals said:
Nope. And this is something I see online a lot too. You don't have to do them all. Just certain ones.
Well, I meant he needed to do more. Didn't know there were specific key quests, though! You'd think that info would be available somewhere in-game. >_<

Nicktals

Banned
Haunted said:
Well, I meant he needed to do more. Didn't know there were specific key quests, though! You'd think that info would be available somewhere in-game. >_<

Well, i think they want you to do them all. I mean, they put them in the game for a reason.

sprsk said:
Online trader has stones SOMETIMES, last time I saw her have some I took advantage and got 300 of them, lol. Now I have 300 harvest stones and I never have to worry about shit.

I just need some thunder bugs. Hopefully there's a sandstorm next weekend so we can get some rare goods at the jamaican guy's shop.

There's sandstorm right now! and apparently you can get them for half price.

Tenbatsu said:
If you are on low level, you can participate in the HR1~ quest. There will be another quest for high level players HR31~ where you are able to kill it. Sand storm happens every 2 - 3 weeks and its your only chance to fight it. Not sure how long the event quest will last for the NA version, japanese ver lasted for 3 days.

Oh, so it will come back fairly frequently. Not a huge deal if I don't get up to HR 31 in the next couple days then. Thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Didn't play any yesterday (spend most of the day looking for my missing cat but he finally came home!), and now I am craving some. Gobul is going to have to go down tonight.

oracrest

Killed the Lagacarius, or however you spell it, last night with some friends.

It was surprisingly easy. I was expecting a Tigrex sized task, but he played a lot like the Ludroth.

Finally got a Baggi Long Sword, which rocks. It's great they give you a shock weapon so early on.

Ridley327

Hawkian said:
Didn't play any yesterday (spend most of the day looking for my missing cat but he finally came home!), and now I am craving some. Gobul is going to have to go down tonight.

I'll be going on tonight, as well; I'll look for you and we can also see how well we can do against Jhen Moran!

Owzers

Having really bad luck lately. Last several parties i've been in died to rathalos, diablos, and we tried an advanced agnakajdakjakr fire thing.......i need better gear/skills.

markatisu

DeaconKnowledge said:
What time do you guys usually go on?

Whenever I went on the GAF server it was an absolute wasteland.

for me it's been 9p-1a CST and I have not had a problem, post here if you are online and nobody seems around

I always use Recruitement-Wisdom 1-gate 40 then check the cities or start my own

Gino

Anyone have some suggestions for the Bowgun? I've been using the lance and am picking it up as a secondary. How do you go about acquiring Ammo? do you just buy it all? It can be kind of expensive.

Is it ok to fight bosses with just normal ammo or do you pretty much have to have some higher level stuff?

Nisa65

Is there any point in upgrading low rank armour beyond level 6 or are you better of just getting high rank armour instead?

Had my first encounter with Joe last night fighting Barroth, crapped myself when he turned up completely out of the blue.

forrest

formerly nacire
Well I've beat every 1* quest online now and there is still no Urgent quest unlocked and the 2* quest tier is still locked. What gives? I'm HR6, is there a HR cap for the different tier quests?

PusherT

God damn Deviljho keep appearing. Eviljoe is soooooo strong tries fighting him he went into rage mode and his muscles stated popping out he was pissed. It will be my mission to hunt and kill eviljoe I want his armor soo bad:D :D :D . Got my Lacerator blade too and now working on Mutilator blade next.

demonkaze

nacire said:
Well I've beat every 1* quest online now and there is still no Urgent quest unlocked and the 2* quest tier is still locked. What gives? I'm HR6, is there a HR cap for the different tier quests?

You need to be HR8 to except the urgent.

Top Bottom