• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

I'm finally getting the hang of using a lance. It's probably my 2nd worst weapon in terms of overall proficiency, but I was getting tired of answering questions about why I wasn't using a lance. Telling people that I was a lance poseur/wannabe just wasn't cutting it any more.

PS I apologize to all the people I played with last night who had to put up with my learning to use a lance. :p

Kyoufu

Lance Bone Path said:
I'm finally getting the hang of using a lance. It's probably my 2nd worst weapon in terms of overall proficiency, but I was getting tired of answering questions about why I wasn't using a lance. Telling people that I was a lance poseur/wannabe just wasn't cutting it any more.

PS I apologize to all the people I played with last night who had to put up with my learning to use a lance. :p

Your name is Lance Bone Path yet you don't use a Lance?

Mind boggled.

selig

Banned
WOW!

Just killed my first Lagiacrus online, thanks Tai and Sceolon (ah, probably wrote that wrong, sorry).
After we used up two of our deaths early in the mission, I proposed to end it with just the subquest. But the other guys kept pressing forward, so, of course, I helped :D Awesome finish. Looking forward to next time, you guys!

Kyoufu

Danielsan said:
I have killed a ton of Rathalos today and still now plate.
Grr I want to complete my set...

Cut the tail for a possible carve. Break the head for possible reward and loot the shiny for possible scale.

I want Flame Sacs from Rathian, and it just won't drop :( I killed 6 in a row, and I even got a Plate in the process, but I don't need that >_< (at least for now).
I'll try again in an hour, I hope I'll get at least one Flame Sac ^^;
And god I love my LS Thunderclap for that fight.

Danielsan said:
I have killed a ton of Rathalos today and still no plate.
Grr I want to complete my set...
Got one earlier, on my 5th or so capture.

dsister44 said:
I am reading! i just cant get online. should be back by friday
Hi koz! How u doing? I ended up doing shit quests with non-gaf people. Not really randoms, but friends of a friend of a friend... getting kinda tired of bagging royal ludroths and qurus...
Where you at offline? Rathalos? Barioth?

Haunted

*goes online to gather some materials*

Wait a sec, something's different.... there's a sandstorm? Jhen Moran is attacking the city? All the shops have awesome stuff and most of it is half-off to boot?

I don't know wtf is going on, but I like it.

dsister44

Fistwell said:
Got one earlier, on my 5th or so capture.

Hi koz! How u doing? I ended up doing shit quests with non-gaf people. Not really randoms, but friends of a friend of a friend... getting kinda tired of bagging royal ludroths and qurus...
Where you at offline? Rathalos? Barioth?

I'm doing pretty well thanks, hows life for you? offline i'm not far at all, im on capturing laiacrus :S uni work and revision has really cut into the amount of time I have for monster hunter. what doesn't help is that im god awful at underwater combat. I tried a bit today and ended up shutting of the wii in frustration. i was getting killed after only getting a couple of hits in. The thing i hate underwater is the camera, I can never get my guy to move where I want him to. I also dont like how his attacks are so big they can still hit me even when i used dodge.

nevertheless, once ive passed this obstacle i'll go onto the new mnsters and never do lagi again, even if he does give cool armour and wepaons. The we can really get stuck into 3* quests. how many of them have you done?

selig

Banned
btw. can someone explain why the first Gigginox-fight offline is so...different? :lol Not only does the monster look completely different than the rest (so far), but also the music is...so overly dramatic and dynamic.
Really, if MH3 had lock-on, this would be like a Zelda-boss fight, haha.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I was finally forced to put together a set of + armor for high rank. Feels so good to have 241 DEF instead of 144. Plus, even though my armor is made up of Jaggi, Gobul, Rathian, and Quropecco stuff, I still managed to gem/charm up Attack Up S, Critical Eye +1, and Halve Stun. :D

dsister44

selig said:
btw. can someone explain why the first Gigginox-fight offline is so...different? :lol Not only does the monster look completely different than the rest (so far), but also the music is...so overly dramatic and dynamic.

That's just what I was thinking, gigginox is basically Ghoma! quick, shoot its belly with the slinghsot then slash it's assface 3 times to kill it and get the shakalaka's emerald! but watch out for the eggs that spawn its young!

botticus

Took way longer than I expected to get monster guts from the Delex, but my 1* urgent online is finally unlocked. Probably going to find people for that tomorrow.

Tonight I will have another go at the Royal Ludroth offline. I look forward to another 50 minutes resulting in a complete subquest!

Regarding the current event quest, is it something that's at all worthwhile for a low rank person to join in on, or would I just be another target for the Jhen, and potentially all three deaths?

Alrightie, tomorrow will be the final online Journal Hunt which will be posted Thursday. Final Journal entry will go up Monday and following that sometime next week will be my Monster Hunter Tri Review. So don't forget to look for Khory on the Gaf server around 6:30 CST and drop in.

Also:

A plea to all with Wii Speak. So far I've been less than impressed by the implementation of Wii Speak in MH3 but I want to see how well it performs under ideal conditions so I'm looking for volunteers to get together with me Friday evening. If you have Wii Speak and can play the game in a quiet room without any background noise, then drop me a private message.

Thanks!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think I just discovered a glitch.

So I was doing the Barroth + Great jaggi hunt quest. I killed the great jaggi, and wore the barroth down until it was limping. I then ensnared it it a shock trap, and threw two tranq bombs at it. No capture. So while the barroth is in the shock trap, I take the opportunity to finish it off. Instead of dropping dead, though, it falls asleep as though it was captured. Based on the rewards for the quest, the game interpreted me as killing it, though (It seemed like there were too few rewards for a capture IMO).

And thus I was denied my loot from the barroth corpse :(

botticus

Woohoo, beat Ludroth offline. Thanks for the tip about staying at the surface. Tried to fight him as little as possible in the water, but at least I was able to do more damage to him than he did to me when I had to. Also, glad I beat him online once so I knew where one of his shortcuts led.

Dreavus

Does anyone know how the expert skill works? Right now it's a toss up between 3 assault jewels or 3 master jewels for my Lagiacrus set. It says it boosts your chances for a critical hit... but does this apply to any weapon or only those that already have a positive affinity chance?

I'm trying to decide if having critical eye +1 outclasses a small attack boost. To anyone with Rathalos armor... have you noticed much of a difference with the critical eye?

Anyone want to help me online to get a Barroth Tail? Cutting it off with a Carapace Mace is hard due to the lack of reach. :/

But damn this thing is awesome; R Ludroth, G Jaggi, and Qurupeco are wicked easy to kill as long as you don't do it carelessly. :D

gotee12

GaimeGuy said:

So I was doing the Barroth + Great jaggi hunt quest. I killed the great jaggi, and wore the barroth down until it was limping. I then ensnared it it a shock trap, and threw two tranq bombs at it. No capture. So while the barroth is in the shock trap, I take the opportunity to finish it off. Instead of dropping dead, though, it falls asleep as though it was captured. Based on the rewards for the quest, the game interpreted me as killing it, though (It seemed like there were too few rewards for a capture IMO).

Twice I've attempted captures too early and after tossing all my tranq's, the monster was still uncaptured. While still in the shock trap, I whacked him with my switch axe to watch him pass out (not die, just like you have experienced). That has happened twice for me. Though I tried it a third time after running out of tranq's and the monster died instead.

Niblet

Buggy Loop said:
I thought there was? did monster hunter wikia lie to me? :(

200px-Giginebura-Blademaster.png

How did I skip over this? blagh. Its not as over the top as I would want, but I like the male's crotch with the teeth and all.

MarkusRJR

Just bought the game along with Wii Speak. :D
This'll be my first Monster Hunter, is there anyone on NeoGAF who wouldn't mind playing with a complete Monster Hunter Noob?

Teknoman

Haunted said:
*goes online to gather some materials*

Wait a sec, something's different.... there's a sandstorm? Jhen Moran is attacking the city? All the shops have awesome stuff and most of it is half-off to boot?

I don't know wtf is going on, but I like it.

Anyone going to be up for that event tonight? Sounds awesome.

selig said:

Thats probably just the Tundra big boss theme. Every area seems to have its own big boss theme, instead of monsters having their own themes.

ashism

Yaceka said:
This'll be my first Monster Hunter, is there anyone on NeoGAF who wouldn't mind playing with a complete Monster Hunter Noob?
Hurry, take back the wiispeak before you open it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
O noes, I forgot tonight was my scheduled PC gaming night with some buddies!

Hopefully I'll still have time to load up and take down Gobul... that bastard.

Question, do Flash Bombs or Sonic Bombs work on him?

Yaceka said:

I'll go on with ya! :)

My info:

WG7527 - Joshua

I got WiiSpeak, so whenever your ready, let's go! :D

d0c_zaius

Gamer @ Heart said:
Make a Jaggi Head. It has the fate skill which increases your chances at the cost of looking stupid :p

as well as gimping the rest of the group (depending on the player skill level using the helm)

I wish people thought more about completing the objective and less about getting their rath plate. Too many HR18+s running around with jaggi masks, getting one shot.

If Im grouping with others, I make sure to have my max def so Im not being carried. (This includes leveled up armor too)

Of course this doesnt apply to everyone, but after a weekend of fails and not dying myself, it starts to wear the nerves a bit.

Ridley327

Wow, my group managed to repel Jhen Moran with 45 seconds to spare. :lol :lol :lol

Great hunts, guys!

Hawkian said:
O noes, I forgot tonight was my scheduled PC gaming night with some buddies!

Hopefully I'll still have time to load up and take down Gobul... that bastard.

Question, do Flash Bombs or Sonic Bombs work on him?

Sonic Bombs work quite well if he's not sneaking around under the river bed. Brings him out right away and stuns him for a bit.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
okay, fuck Giginox. I ran out of time, had it probably down to like 5%.

This motherfucker is annoying as shit. it has so few openings, it switches its ass with its head at will, and there's too much waiting involved with facing it, as it jumps on the walls and on the ceiling ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Oh, and it has an extendable head/ass attack.

And a poisonous belly flop.

FUCK THIS THING.

oh, and fuck its children, too.

Poyunch

GaimeGuy said:
okay, fuck Giginox. I ran out of time, had it probably down to like 5%.

This motherfucker is annoying as shit. it has so few openings, it switches its ass with its head at will, and there's too much waiting involved with facing it, as it jumps on the walls and on the ceiling ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Oh, and it has an extendable head/ass attack.

And a poisonous belly flop.

FUCK THIS THING.

oh, and fuck its children, too.
It's a fair trade off since it's entire body is basically soft. But yeah it sure is frustrating with slow weapons. At least for me.

Tenbatsu

PusherT said:
u got any tips on taking down eviljoe ? Will he eat drugged meat ?
It gets hungry easily, you can put down any status meat and let him eat. But he will only get affected once for each type of meat thou.

FootNinja said:
Except spider webs. Why cant they sell spider webs :\
Sometimes its available for trade online with Monster fluid or Barroth Coin.

Dreavus said:
Does anyone know how the expert skill works? Right now it's a toss up between 3 assault jewels or 3 master jewels for my Lagiacrus set. It says it boosts your chances for a critical hit... but does this apply to any weapon or only those that already have a positive affinity chance?
Any weapon as long as you see the numbers on the affinity is more than 0%. You will notice a different spark when you landed a critical hit.

GaimeGuy said:

Its not a glitch, a capture is counted as a kill too. You can check the Monster List to check if its a capture or a kill. Number of rewards are random, you can get few rewards even for a capture. The method of capture you mentioned above is a way to get record timing for a quest. Trap first, throw 2 tranq bombs while attacking at the same time till the health to capture is reach.

Like Danielsan I finally got lucky and got my Flame Sac...and in the same run Cha-cha also carved one from Rathian :D So I could finally complete the Lamp Mask quest and an awesome Peco Flint hammer ^^ its upgrade, Red Bludgeon is so cool, it's a Rathalos head ! I "only" need Rathalos shells to complete it.

Now I need to farm Great Baggi for claws and leader's crests so I can complete the armor set.

Kad5

Im actually getting the hang of keeping a supply of mega potions and mega nutrients.

After every quest I just make sure my farmers are busy and i constantly combine things.

Top Bottom