• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

JRPereira

I think it'll take a while for switch axes to die down in popularity to where they're used properly - right now I think they're still viewed as a fad weapon, and plenty of people aren't using them correctly.

I don't particularly like them at the moment, but all I have right now is a really crappy one and I don't feel like investing in building a new one until I've got at least the ravager blade and a few other upgraded weapons. Also, after rocking my first MH3 LS, I don't see a huge need for the slash axe - unlike with the other weapons, I don't see what the slash axe offers in terms of unique feel or special features.

Lyphen said:
Do monsters sometimes randomly get stronger? I've been through 2 Rathians pretty easily offline, but my most recent 3rd (randomly in Moga Woods) killed me 3 times, had me pinned at least 4, and cornered me quite a bit.

They vary in size, which affects their health.

JRPereira

One of the other things that might be confusing is that they list monster sizes by length (I'm guessing it's supposed to play off of the hunting style listing of animals by the length from snout/whatever to the tip of the tail). Originally in the PSP games I had thought they were somehow rating the length of the fights, and the numbers didn't make any sense.

Haunted

Yeah, I got disconnected twice earlier today. Terrible for a long quest like Jhen, so I stuck to offline. :)

Most people I did find online were nice, though. Of course, there's always some assholes around (quitting, being rude, taking other people's items etc) but I'd say the ratio is pretty good so far. Monster Hunter community: thumbs up.

john tv

Mmm tonight was a good night. Did the Jhen Mohran quest, did my Lagiacrus urgent quest and someone else's as well, cleared out the two star quests and made HR 18.

I'm guessing that the Jhen Mohran event quest will be gone soon so I anticipate doing it a bunch the next couple of nights.

I'm level capped again and it kills me a little inside that my urgent (that I've unlocked last night with help from a great team) is...

Jhen Mohran. :/

Owzers

Lance Bone Path said:
I'm guessing that the Jhen Mohran event quest will be gone soon so I anticipate doing it a bunch the next couple of nights.

I'm level capped again and it kills me a little inside that my urgent (that I've unlocked last night with help from a great team) is...

I want to do the event quest with you!

selig

Banned
wow, wtf. The has to have been the hardest Barroth I ever fought online. Played with 2 gaffers. First time, we failed, second time, we did it, but it took forever. the f*`**. but great job, you two, Niels and bluemoon.

_bluemoon

Wired said:
I'll help. Can never have too much mats :p

edit: may have spoken too soon, keep getting an connection error (what the hell is wrong with the servers)... getting tired of this happening all the damn time

:(

Oh well. Xam and Niels came and helped me out. Thanks again folks.

ashism

Tenbatsu said:
Its already 12.30am. How you guys survive work the next day? I am really curious:lol
I've been staying up till 3am playing this on an almost daily basis.
Having some real close calls at school and side jobs. This is not a healthy habit :lol

JRPereira said:
I think it'll take a while for switch axes to die down in popularity to where they're used properly - right now I think they're still viewed as a fad weapon, and plenty of people aren't using them correctly.

I don't particularly like them at the moment, but all I have right now is a really crappy one and I don't feel like investing in building a new one until I've got at least the ravager blade and a few other upgraded weapons. Also, after rocking my first MH3 LS, I don't see a huge need for the slash axe - unlike with the other weapons, I don't see what the slash axe offers in terms of unique feel or special features.

I'm a switch axe/sword and shield user, and love the axe. Since this is my first MH every weapon is a novelty for me. I simply picked the axe because I wanted to focus on one weapon for speed and one for power. The axe provides the power while also not being quite as slow as the great sword, plus I'm more of a dodger than a defender so the lack of blocking ability doesn't matter much.

And though I try not to hit my fellow hunters, it happens. The only times I've sent people flying was from the occasional misfired sword blast. This sometimes happens when we have the monster down and I run around to the side opposite of where everybody else is at and hit it with the sword blast, only to have the blast also hit the poor fella on the other side of the monster. What can ya do?

My bane are the great sword and hammer users. They've sent me flying many a time. It happens. I figure there's no point in getting irritated about it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
DarknessTear said:
I got ElderDragonBlood. What is it good for?
If you're looking to make an LS you need one for the dragon element jhen sword. I'm sure you will find plenty of uses for it down the line when you start making high end dragon weapons/armor/w.e else.

ashism said:
I've been staying up till 3am playing this on an almost daily basis.
Having some real close calls at school and side jobs. This is not a healthy habit :lol
I had been doing the same, but at this point lack of sleep has caught up with me and I'm nodding off in the middle of quests by around midnight. I feel kind of sad about that.

During meetings at work, though, I stay awake by daydreaming about playing.

FootNinja said:
If you're looking to make an LS you need one for the dragon element jhen sword. I'm sure you will find plenty of uses for it down the line when you start making high end dragon weapons/armor/w.e else.

Yeah. I just killed Jhen again and got another one. Are they super rare?

DragonGirl said:
I'm a switch axe/sword and shield user, and love the axe. Since this is my first MH every weapon is a novelty for me. I simply picked the axe because I wanted to focus on one weapon for speed and one for power. The axe provides the power while also not being quite as slow as the great sword, plus I'm more of a dodger than a defender so the lack of blocking ability doesn't matter much.

And though I try not to hit my fellow hunters, it happens. The only times I've sent people flying was from the occasional misfired sword blast. This sometimes happens when we have the monster down and I run around to the side opposite of where everybody else is at and hit it with the sword blast, only to have the blast also hit the poor fella on the other side of the monster. What can ya do?

My bane are the great sword and hammer users. They've sent me flying many a time. It happens. I figure there's no point in getting irritated about it.

So far, the switch-axe users I've played with eat up a great deal of real estate around the monster. I suppose it'll just take a while for people to figure out the axe.

Communication is key. Fortunately I've been playing with dudes on vent so it generally works out but keyboard communication just isn't effective when you're trying to assign where people are going to stand to max out damage on a downed monster without hitting one another.

If the switch-axe blast is anything like the gun lance blast; when you're attacking a downed monster, I think you'd want to align the blast so it shoots straight down the monsters body, starting with the head in order to maximize damage.

Disguises

JRPereira said:
They vary in size, which affects their health.
:eek:. Did not know this! I've been playing on and off for the past week or so and have enjoyed every minute! Such a sense of accomplishment once a monster goes down! Hoping to get online (EU) more often one this chunk of work is done!

JRPereira

Regarding great sword users, what people don't understand is that there's pretty much two different main combos you'll do if you're not charging - X into A for online, and X into A into XA (and repeat A->XA) offline. The online combo is a tad slower, but it won't knock people around. Not that you should skip out on XA - it's great for targets that are about to move behind you so you can get a hit in before readjusting - you just need to pay attention if people are nearby.

Disguises said:
:eek:. Did not know this! I've been playing on and off for the past week or so and have enjoyed every minute! Such a sense of accomplishment once a monster goes down! Hoping to get online (EU) more often one this chunk of work is done!

There's a quest with a giant kirin in the PSP ones and I was never able to squash it. It'll be interesting to see a host of giant monsters in Tri's event quests eventually.

They did tiny ones in the PSP ones as well - had to fight a tiny kut-ku naked in one of the quests.

JRPereira said:
Regarding great sword users, what people don't understand is that there's pretty much two different main combos you'll do if you're not charging - X into A for online, and X into A into XA (and repeat A->XA) offline. The online combo is a tad slower, but it won't knock people around. Not that you should skip out on XA - it's great for targets that are about to move behind you so you can get a hit in before readjusting - you just need to pay attention if people are nearby.

hey man! I played with you. You were godly with that Qurupeco bow gun.

Delio

Goodness i've only downed Jhen one time so far and that's with a random HR30 dude. Every time afterwards my group just cant do enough damage to him in time. Sucks as i need stuff from it :/

d0c_zaius

Lance Bone Path said:

I got to 27 and need dragon weps , so I can help tonight with it

oracrest

JRPereira said:

yeah, that backswing can be a party pooper when it knocks everyone else away from the fray. Used strategically, it is a good way to get your team out of the way of an unavoidable charge though.

JRPereira

bigdaddygamebot said:
hey man! I played with you. You were godly with that Qurupeco bow gun.

Thanks! I haven't touched bowguns much in the past couple of days but I'll be getting back to 'em soon now that I can craft some better armor and guns. Gonna miss the rapid fire recov shots though - maybe I can find a gun that'll fire L2 instead - either that or rapid fire crag S.

One thing that's stuck out to me a lot lately is that like nobody's taking the support roles - very few gunners (and almost no recovery shot usage even when it's insanely useful one you learn how to fire recovery shot without aiming), and not a lot of people with lifepowders and flutes. That stuff can be a lifesaver - I finally saw someone using a health flute while fighting jhen and we recovered tons of health from it. Best part is that the flutes don't seem to break as much as in the PSP versions.

I've been thinking - is there a limit to how many times pierce shots will hit a target? Bowguns might be really nice against jhen mohran.

JRPereira said:
Even the side-swings can be troublesome, depending on the other players. If you're playing with GS, LS, and SA users, you can pretty much go to town with the online combo, but you'll probably knock down or interrupt anyone using anything else.

The least disruptive combo is probably spamming X and going between the charged attack to the side smack. If there isn't a hammer user around, this is a good attack against the head (if you can reach it). It works well for weak enemies like minions and great jaggi and once you've gotten it stunned, you can let loose with the fully charged attacks.

Mostly GS users should probably get used to unsheathe attacks, roll away, and re-sheathe maneuvers.

d0c_zaius said:
I got to 27 and need dragon weps , so I can help tonight with it
Sounds good!

Dreavus

DarknessTear said:
Yeah. I just killed Jhen again and got another one. Are they super rare?

I still don't have one and I've driven him off several times. :lol

Can you get Elder dragon blood from Caedeus as well? He's an elder dragon too...

JRPereira

Lance Bone Path said:
The least disruptive combo is probably spamming X and going between the charged attack to the side smack. If there isn't a hammer user around, this is a good attack against the head (if you can reach it). It works well for weak enemies like minions and great jaggi and once you've gotten it stunned, you can let loose with the fully charged attacks.

Yea, it does seem that in MH3 it's a bit easier to be interrupted while attacking for certain weapons. You could argue that for the other weapon types you should be working on different parts of the monster - lance users for example can be in areas that would normally be too dangerous for everyone else. Everyone needs to split up and be careful if they're going to go nuts though.

Does anyone have any sort of stats for the kind of damage that scatter shot does? Not that I intend to use it online (obviously), but I haven't used a bowgun even once offline, and I might consider it if I can kill things within the time limit using one (I had horrible bow and bowgun experiences in the PSP games which pretty much turned me off of them until MH3).

PusherT

Dreavus said:
I still don't have one and I've driven him off several times. :lol

Can you get Elder dragon blood from Caedeus as well? He's an elder dragon too...
maybe just were the jaggi mask, we played him a few time i got 1 too

Monster infighting is so awesome and hilarious when you can make it happen.

Jaggi suddenly gets fire blasted by a Peco that decided to join the action.
Quropeco calls in a Rathian and gets a fireball to the face.

It's even funnier when it's a weaker monster knocking down a stronger one. I think I saw a peco knock down a weakened Rathian with its fire once, and a R. Ludroth knocking over a Lagiacrus with a pounce or roll.

The best one just happened to me. I was fighting a Baggi when suddenly a Gigginox came in. Either they were straight up fighting each other, or they were both attacking Cha-Cha and kept hitting each other in the action. The Baggi wasn't even panting or limping when suddenly the Gigginox bodyslammed it from the wall and killed it for me. :lol

JRPereira

EmCeeGramr said:
The best one just happened to me. I was fighting a Baggi when suddenly a Gigginox came in. Either they were straight up fighting each other, or they were both attacking Cha-Cha and kept hitting each other in the action. The Baggi wasn't even panting or limping when suddenly the Gigginox bodyslammed it from the wall and killed it for me. :lol

I burst out laughing when I read that. Monster Hunter Pro Wrestling! - in the red corner; GIGGINOX! *cheers*

PusherT

EmCeeGramr said:
Monster infighting is so awesome and hilarious when you can make it happen.

Jaggi suddenly gets fire blasted by a Peco that decided to join the action.
Quropeco calls in a Rathian and gets a fireball to the face.

It's even funnier when it's a weaker monster knocking down a stronger one. I think I saw a peco knock down a weakened Rathian with its fire once, and a R. Ludroth knocking over a Lagiacrus with a pounce or roll.

Wait till u see Deviljho aka evil joe. He took a bite out querropecco once and will fight any monster, even boss monster avoid it.:D :D :D

Nisa65

DarknessTear said:
I got ElderDragonBlood. What is it good for?

I used it to make Jhen Mohran's longs sword which has dragon element. Been using it to beat up high rank Ratholos and Rathian who are weakest to dragon.

JRPereira said:
Thanks! I haven't touched bowguns much in the past couple of days but I'll be getting back to 'em soon now that I can craft some better armor and guns. Gonna miss the rapid fire recov shots though - maybe I can find a gun that'll fire L2 instead - either that or rapid fire crag S.

One thing that's stuck out to me a lot lately is that like nobody's taking the support roles - very few gunners (and almost no recovery shot usage even when it's insanely useful one you learn how to fire recovery shot without aiming), and not a lot of people with lifepowders and flutes. That stuff can be a lifesaver - I finally saw someone using a health flute while fighting jhen and we recovered tons of health from it. Best part is that the flutes don't seem to break as much as in the PSP versions.

I've been thinking - is there a limit to how many times pierce shots will hit a target? Bowguns might be really nice against jhen mohran.

Ever since playing with you that one night, I now carry a healing horn whenever possible. They're a huge help.

forrest

formerly nacire
So if I enter a city and the people there are currently questing, the only thing I can do is wait? I tried sending messages to them, but it says "They are in a Quest" or whatever. Also can you only add friends via a message with a friend request?

*Can you only send friend requests to people online?

Owzers

Ridley327 said:
I think I'll be going on in a bit for the express purpose of Jhen farming. Use it or lose, right?

I've been trying to farm Jhen to get enough stuff to make the armor but the random parties are all dying for the most part.

Top Bottom