• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

How long is Jehn going to be up?

I joined some random groups (can no longer rely on stupid friends) and killed him probably 8 times. I'm trying to make his longsword and need 2 more sturdy fangs. I broke the one fang off every time but for the life of me could not break the other one. The last time I tried I literally climbed on his back at every chance, filled up my spirit bar, and whaled on that other horn with spirit combos.

I hope this quest is going to be up for at least another night. I really want that sword.

Hiltz

Only had enough time today to kill a Great Jaggi, Gobul ,and a Royal Ludroth.

I was trying to fish Gobul out of the water using a frog but I pulled the fishing rod up too early when he appeared on the surface. How do you tell when is the right time rod up to pull Gobul on to dry land ?

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
How long is Jehn going to be up?
3 days for the japanese version, not sure about this one.

Hiltz said:
I was trying to fish Gobul out of the water using a frog but I pulled the fishing rod up too early when he appeared on the surface. How do you tell when is the right time rod up to pull Gobul on to dry land ?
Its automatic, you don't need to press anything.

Diffense

How many of you are palying with the Wiimote/Nunchuk configuration?
I'm thinking of just getting the game and giving it a shot but don't really want to invest in the controller if it doesn't greatly add to the experience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, there are 33 people in Gate 40!

DAMN, some awesome trades and sales right now. Great time to stock up!!!

The only thing hard to get, seriously, is Spider Webs. Whyyyyy can't you make them in the farm.

Vizion28

Banned
Diffense said:
How many of you are palying with the Wiimote/Nunchuk configuration?
I'm thinking of just getting the game and giving it a shot but don't really want to invest in the controller if it doesn't greatly add to the experience.

I play using the Wiimote/nunchuck combo and it controlls nicely for me.

The reticule shows up on the screen when you point. If anyone can tell me what's that used for I would appreciate it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sold a ton of stuff off for the first time to get cash to take advantage of this sale. Stocking up on Thunderbugs and Psychoserum. Now I won't hesitate to ditch this armor :lol

Do you ever get another page for your pouch? The amount of free slots you ever have as a gunner is pretty ludicrous.

Vizion28 said:

The reticule shows up on the screen when you point. If anyone can tell me what's that used for I would appreciate it.

If you highlight an item or menu option it'll say what it does. You can also store info about monsters in your notes.

Hiltz

Vizion28 said:

You can use the Wii remote's IR pointer to obtain basic information about monsters.
The tricky part is that you can only do this while out in the wild where you are still able to be attacked by monsters.

Access the "Hunter's Notes" menu where it says "Monster Log" and then hold B while pointing the Wii remote at the screen to target any monster you see with the reticule. Then hold B and A together and drag the note icon to the bottom right of the screen where it says "Register". You'll know if you did it right because the bottom right side of the screen will say "Success".

By the way, you can only do this once for each type of monster. If you try to do it with the same monster that you've already got information on, the bottom screen icon will say "duplicate".

Owzers

I just started using a lance and i'm having a hard time with the counter move.....can any pros give me some tips please?

ashism

sillymonkey321 said:
I just started using a lance and i'm having a hard time with the counter move.....can any pros give me some tips please?
Classic Controller:
Hold R, Press A right before you anticipate a big attack. As soon as you get a hit and hear the metal go clank, mash the X button to attack. Or keep mashing A if you like lancing up towards the air, like i do.

Sometimes it's better to just block though. When you counter, you are forced to enter into an attack, which leaves you open afterwords.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Now this is very unfair... they want me to capture a fucking Lagi in the flooded forest, where the water zones are very small, hard to see underwater, and on top of that Cha-cha decided to abandon me in that part of the game, so no heals, no distractions and no buffs from him. The quest to kill him in the moga woods right before was really easy compared to that crap.

sillymonkey321 said:

Block + A

I find that if I'm attacked while the "charge up" is occurring then I snap out a quick strike.

I use the lance and I find you need to "love" the monster you're fighting. Stay in really close and constantly be moving around it either through walking or sidestepping after a strike or two.

I spend an inordinate amount of time between the monsters legs...

Take that how you will.

Owzers

ashism said:
Classic Controller:
Hold R, Press A right before you anticipate a big attack. As soon as you get a hit and hear the metal go clank, mash the X button to attack. Or keep mashing A if you like lancing up towards the air, like i do.

Sometimes it's better to just block though. When you counter, you are forced to enter into an attack, which leaves you open afterwards.

What's happening for me is that i either press A too early and i do the blocking animation and then am forced to go into the counter upward thrust animation...except during the thrust animation is when i get hit. And if i do successfully block the attack, the counter doesn't hit because the monster went past me. After you hear the clank can you speed the counter up somehow?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
finally after like 10-20 jhens I get my elder dragon blood. Got my dragon element LS and every other LS I need.

Nothing better than getting that rare reward and making your weapon/armor.

Kard8p3

FootNinja said:
finally after like 10-20 jhens I get my elder dragon blood. Got my dragon element LS and every other LS I need.

Nothing better than getting that rare reward and making your weapon/armor.

Haha, yes, that was quite an amazing experience. Sadly, I didn't get enough stuff to make any armor/weapons =[.

Niblet

Right now Im trying to get 2 Star rare commodities to trade the Argosy. I have been killing Royal Ludroths and Qurupecos in Moga Woods but when ever I convert resources I dont ever get one of their 2 star commodities. Is there a super low drop rate on them or do I need to do something else?

Edit: Finally got Peco's 2* commodity. Rate seems low.

forrest

formerly nacire
Bisnic said:
Now this is very unfair... they want me to capture a fucking Lagi in the flooded forest, where the water zones are very small, hard to see underwater, and on top of that Cha-cha decided to abandon me in that part of the game, so no heals, no distractions and no buffs from him. The quest to kill him in the moga woods right before was really easy compared to that crap.

This is the first time a creature made me faint. Fucking little ass zones! Had to faint a second time before coming back and kicking his ass.

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
Do you ever get another page for your pouch? The amount of free slots you ever have as a gunner is pretty ludicrous.
Its a blessing now that there are 4 pages for the gunner pouch. In the old series its only 2 pages!

Hiltz

Took on Rathian. She got me to faint twice but her attack patterns are ridiculously easy to recognize. Finished her off with the switch axe.

Fought it a second time and didn't lose once.

forrest

formerly nacire
Gonna squeeze in a couple rounds in the HR 1* quests. Gotta grind to get HR6>HR8 to unlock 2*

Anyone needing 1* jump in.

selig said:
WOW!

Just killed my first Lagiacrus online, thanks Tai and Sceolon (ah, probably wrote that wrong, sorry).
After we used up two of our deaths early in the mission, I proposed to end it with just the subquest. But the other guys kept pressing forward, so, of course, I helped :D Awesome finish. Looking forward to next time, you guys!

:D Outstanding work out there, man. Things got a bit hairy, but we really made it our bitch at the end.

Is this sandstorm event only for high level HRs? I didn't see anything about it whilst online last night.

Dreavus

Great job on the Jhen Mohran hunts guys. Sucks that you don't seem to be getting much of anything worthwhile Ed (I don't know you're GAF name!) EDIT:
Mardak is that you?

Maybe we can pick up a few more hunts tomorrow. I'm still looking for some blood and fangs.

Korigama

Cosmic Schwung said:
Is this sandstorm event only for high level HRs? I didn't see anything about it whilst online last night.

I'm only HR 1 at the moment, yet I saw the city affected by the sandstorm as well.

mclem

Cosmic Schwung said:

EU? We're updating on Fridays, while the US has it on Tuesdays, so presumably we'll see it in a couple of days.

mclem said:
EU? We're updating on Fridays, while the US has it on Tuesdays, so presumably we'll see it in a couple of days.

That'd explain it, thanks. That'll give me time to work towards the full set of Lagiacrus armour and build up some cash for all the goodies. In a way this is great - we get a heads up of what events are coming and can prepare for them.

Londa

Banned
I need to get back to this game. I get so tired from work that I just go to bed when I get home. I need motivation to play instead of sleep!

JHEN! :D

Repeled missing only 5 min, broke one of it's horn and farming on it's back was great!

QUESTIONS!

1- Is it possible to break both horns? Any other breakable part?
2- Dragon Bombs, is it possible to combine x and y to get more of it?

Thanks!

Tenbatsu

Sammy Samusu said:
QUESTIONS!

1- Is it possible to break both horns? Any other breakable part?
2- Dragon Bombs, is it possible to combine x and y to get more of it?

Thanks!
1. Yes plus a few other parts but I won't spoil it for you.
2. Nope, you cannot mix dragon bombs.

Wired

Man, I love this game. Already clocked over 60 hours on it and considering how fast I lose interest in a game nowadays it's pretty impressive.

The only real complaint I have is the the limit to 4-players per city in the online mode. Stupid Wii speak, a pox on you.

Tenbatsu said:
1. Yes plus a few other parts but I won't spoil it for you.
2. Nope, you cannot mix dragon bombs.
Thank you, will try to break some parts later today. :D

Wired said:
The only real complaint I have is the the limit to 4-players per city in the online mode. Stupid Wii speak, a pox on you.
Definitely, but we can't complain, they did what we
some
wanted to: add Wii Speak support.

HELLO PPL! SKYPE, TS, STEAM!

WIRELESS H7!

Wired

Sammy Samusu said:
Thank you, will try to break some parts later today. :D

Definitely, but we can't complain, they did what we
some
wanted to: add Wii Speak support.

HELLO PPL! SKYPE, TS, STEAM!

WIRELESS H7!

I don't understand why they just didn't allow 10-player cities (or however much it is) and disabled wii speak when not on a mission.

Demon's Souls with its methodical and sedate combat is probably the closest thing to MH (and the other way around) -- so both games do share many of their qualities, but the presentation/atmosphere and the progressions through the game are not much alike.

Top Bottom