• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Man, I can only play about an hour a night on the weekday, so I usually stay off line. Really feel like I'm falling behind everyone. Oh well.

Owzers

schuelma said:
Man, I can only play about an hour a night on the weekday, so I usually stay off line. Really feel like I'm falling behind everyone. Oh well.

Instead of getting better i've just become marginal at more weapons Xo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The biggest difference between Demon's Souls and MH is tone. Monster Hunter doesn't really take itself seriously. Oh, and there's no lock-on.

Otherwise there are a lot of similarities. The difficulty, the combat, the fear of death and failure, intimidating nature and scale of bosses, the way barely aaaanything is explained to the player at all, all very similar.

forrest

formerly nacire
Have you guys been adding each other to your friends list? I've still only managed to play with a group once and it's feeling pretty lonely online. How do you message people who are in a quest? I waited for a bit in someone's city last night as they were doing level 1 stuff, but I couldn't send them a message to see how long they would be. I got tired of waiting so I started my own city. Then tried to wait a little while for people to join which didn't happen. Seems like the online grouping is a big pain in the ass.

Did another round of the Four Jaggi event quest solo. Built my Jaggi head. Yeah pretty silly looking. Anyhow, feel free to send me some friend invites.

Alex

We ran Jhen like a dozen times. Amazingly we had a leech like every single run who would just sit in cargo and pick up easy rewards. Lame.

Easy repel, but these event ones always are. There's a more lengthy, multi-stage kill one later, no? Either way its way more involved and fun than Lao Shan and Shen Gaoren. It's quite spiffy to run along his back, kinda like Shadow of the Collosus, only fun and with good controls and not running at 5 FPS.

Kept getting terrible luck on Fang drops, to the point where I just put on my Bowgun set and sat on his head to blow the second one off. I can't see any other real way to reliably do it atm? The two anti-Dragon Bombs and a bunch of Clusters, Crags and Dragon Shots.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I love finding nice surprises. A hunk of junk ore I found in Volcano turned out to be a Rusted Great Sword! Nice to have something to fall back to when I get tired of hammerin' monsters.

Leezard

So I just got in with 3 randoms and did the Jaggi event twice, granting me a Jaggi mask. I'm pretty much out of gold now though. I rose from HR 2 to HR 5 by doing the Jaggi quest twice. :lol

Alex said:
Kept getting terrible luck on Fang drops, to the point where I just put on my Bowgun set and sat on his head to blow the second one off. I can't see any other real way to reliably do it atm? The two anti-Dragon Bombs and a bunch of Clusters, Crags and Dragon Shots.
Yeah me too, although I have never tried gunner so I doubt I can take off the other fang that way.

I'm still at a loss for the best way to repel him. We manage to do it everytime but I don't know what the most effective way is. I usually Balista the left fang right away and then just cannonball my heart out. Yet I saw kids running up on him and blowing out the rock holes in his fin. Then they continued to slash away at the holes. It made me wonder what damages him more, a constant barrage of attacks or stream of cannonballs?

I also bought a disgusting amount of stuff during Sandstorm. My stacks of 99 Rathian and Lagia scales/hides turned into some very nice cash to do so. 300 Catalysts, 300 Bomb Casings, 300 Dragon Toadstools, 300 Thunderbugs. I should be set for a while ;)

Alex said:
We ran Jhen like a dozen times. Amazingly we had a leech like every single run who would just sit in cargo and pick up easy rewards. Lame.

Easy repel, but these event ones always are. There's a more lengthy, multi-stage kill one later, no? Either way its way more involved and fun than Lao Shan and Shen Gaoren. It's quite spiffy to run along his back, kinda like Shadow of the Collosus, only fun and with good controls and not running at 5 FPS.

Apparently it's possible to kill it instead of just repel it.

Supposedly you can at some point enter its mouth, set a bomb, and start carving.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I'm still at a loss for the best way to repel him. I usually Balista the left fang right away and then just cannonball my heart out. Yet I saw kids running up on him and blowing out the rock holes in his fin. Then they continued to slash away at the holes. It made me wonder what damages him more, a constant barrage of attacks or stream of cannonballs?
Knocking holes into the fins makes it possible to use the binder/harpoon weapon. Beyond that, it's generally better to stick with cannonballs and ballista. Ballista, in particular, is good for breaking parts. Usually the reason for jumping back on is to mine materials from its back.

Alex

I don't think you can kill during the repel quest or it wouldn't automatically flee at a set point of damage. For an event battle in Monster Hunter, usually what happens is

1.) You kill it before the timer ends
2.) You accumulate enough damage to make it retreat as the timer ends
3.) You lose

I haven't done the real Jhen yet, we spend a lot of time working on needless armor. :lol Will do later today though.

I don't know about how it evolves from low to high rank but I've heard the real one is a multi-stager? Something like that.

I'm still at a loss for the best way to repel him. We manage to do it everytime but I don't know what the most effective way is.

What we do atm:

-Ballista off the first horn

-Harpoon him, climb on, mine and break off the plates, anti-dragon bombs on the second horn, gun off second horn.

-Ballista/cannon/melee and break front leg scales

-Everyone sets bombs on the mast, fire Dragonator when he pops, throw paintball to detonate bombs when he's hit by the Dragonator.

~15ish min repels.

One thing I NEVER see any of the few public people do when I go outside my duo is duck when you're gathering. Do this, it will speed things up a smidge and that smidge counts on things like ballista ammo.

That sounds way more organized than the times I've gone. I've gone twice total and definitely want more of its material, but I was so sleepy last night.

Baker

Banned
Just wanted to say thanks to Lance and Nayishiki for the Jhen fight last night. I had to leave the first room I was in because some dude (don't even care if you're a gaffer) was throwing an absolute conniption fit because I hadn't done the fight yet and didn't know what was going on in the beginning.

Sorry if I fucked something up, but shit, give a dude a chance to try the level first.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Supposedly you can at some point enter its mouth, set a bomb, and start carving.

You don't need to set a bomb.

The real Jhen Moran fight is epic because of the music. It's got this moment where you're just like FUCK YEAH LETS BRING THIS SHIT DOWN!!

Alex said:
One thing I NEVER see any of the few public people do when I go outside my duo is duck when you're gathering. Do this, it will speed things up a smidge and that smidge counts on things like ballista ammo.

And here I thought I was the only one to do that. I'm not special anymore :lol

Baker said:
Sorry if I fucked something up, but shit, give a dude a chance to try the level first.
lol same thing happened to me last night and during my very first game with random people no less. It was my first time doing the quest, I even stated it was my first time to the group.

I had no idea what was going on and as I was exploring everything you could do on the boat I accidentally fired the Dragonator. Then one of the kids said "F'ing noobs", abandoned the quest, and left the city. Made me feel real nice :mad:. Luckily the other two kids I played with were really nice and said don't worry about it. We still repelled him that round anyways.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
lol same thing happened to me last night and during my very first game with random people no less. It was my first time doing the quest, I even stated it was my first time to the group.
Maybe I was lucky on my first time. The "veteran" in the group just said to bring lots of potions and use cannonballs a lot.

I'd laugh but that was about the extent of my advice when I went on my second trip and was the veteran in the group. :p

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm pretty new to the game and I've been having a blast with it, but I have a few questions that I hope someone would be able to answer:

Weapon concerns:

After doing a bit of research, I've realized that switchaxes are severely frowned upon by quite a few. I decided to use it because I'm most comfortable with it after transitioning from lances (though I miss the shield for stunning). So anyway, I've taken the Assault Axe (Barroth route) and am regretting it because I don't feel the paralysis phial makes up for the lack of affinity. Should I try going for Bolt Axe (Lagiacrus route) or should I wait for more switchaxes to become available to me?

Armor concerns:

I decided to forge the entire Qurupeco armor set in order to get the defense(s) and evasion bonus. I only did this because I was still getting used to not having the luxury of auto-block when I previously used a Lance. I was looking to move onto something else, but I'm not sure what I should be focusing on as an SA user. Currently I have Jaggi, Bnahbra, Rehno, Quru, Rathian, Ludroth, Gobul and Mutsu/Yamato (Jhen) armor available to forge. Which stat boost/armor set should I (or any shieldess blade user) be focusing on?

JRPereira

In the quest for new weapons, I had totally neglected getting new armor. Good thing I didn't sell too many mats earlier - made some good stuff earlier - noticed I finally had the mats for transporter gear, among other things (full rathian set). I need to hit moga woods again and get some gold.

Also, jhen mohran is nothing short of amazing. Even just coming into the city after forgetting about the event (and not hearing much about it anyways) and seeing the place in this sandstorm with this really gloomy music was so epic -- all the dialogue was updated, shops had cheaper wares, etc. - I ended up buying nearly 100,000z worth of goodies.

Finally put together a longsword (wyvern blade fire) and the new multi-level spirit combos are awesome. I am kind of confused though by the fact that they no-longer drain the meter.

Alex

That's a pretty humorous reaction. Let's break it down!

1.) The game is two weeks old
2.) Has brought in a bunch of new players
3.) Occurs in an event quest that's been up for one day
4.) Is probably going to be a new mechanic for a lot of people trying it
5.) Has somewhat awkward timing to even use normally compared to the Dragonators in MH1/2
6.) Really won't have any sort of actual impact at all on the result on the battle. You will probably never change the tide of a repel by the Dragonator. :lol

But at least your angry guy may have tried while he was there! Our occasional misfits would just sit in the cargo hold and leech!

Nicktals

Banned
Okay, I'm away from the game and can't check right now, but there was something I was wondering about.

Is there a way to tell what kind of armor/attack boost you get after consuming a potion (or buying one of those attack/armor charms at the store)?

And, are they stackable? If I have that charm in my item box, and then drink a demondrug, and then a might pill...or whatever, as long as they're all different...will they keep stacking? I assume you can't stack the same thing...

Baker

Banned
Ryuuga said:
I'm pretty new to the game and I've been having a blast with it, but I have a few questions that I hope someone would be able to answer:
My first piece of advice would be: don't worry what other people think. If you enjoy using switch axes, use switch axes.

The only caveat concerning weapons and other people is to simply learn to make attack combos without hitting questing partners. This usually entails playing a bit differently between SP and MP. For example, I 100% rely on the long sword side-step swipe for setting up dodges in SP. However, that attack usually takes out multiple allies in close quarters, so I barely use it online.

selig

Banned
Meh, Euro-Gaf is dead atm, and it´s so hard to find other players around HR14. I find either noos with 8 or lower, or pros with over 20.

Tenbatsu

Ryuuga said:

Weapon concerns:

After doing a bit of research, I've realized that switchaxes are severely frowned upon by quite a few. I decided to use it because I'm most comfortable with it after transitioning from lances (though I miss the shield for stunning). So anyway, I've taken the Assault Axe (Barroth route) and am regretting it because I don't feel the paralysis phial makes up for the lack of affinity. Should I try going for Bolt Axe (Lagiacrus route) or should I wait for more switchaxes to become available to me?

Armor concerns:

I decided to forge the entire Qurupeco armor set in order to get the defense(s) and evasion bonus. I only did this because I was still getting used to not having the luxury of auto-block when I previously used a Lance. I was looking to move onto something else, but I'm not sure what I should be focusing on as an SA user. Currently I have Jaggi, Bnahbra, Rehno, Quru, Rathian, Ludroth, Gobul and Mutsu/Yamato (Jhen) armor available to forge. Which stat boost/armor set should I (or any shieldess blade user) be focusing on?
Weapons: Assault axe is sort of a supporting weapon as it is the only Slash Axe with status attack ability. Since its a supporting weapon, you don't really need to be bother about the affinity. Wear an armor with Status Atk Up and try to use more bombs/traps. Bolt axe on the other hand is an attacking weapon. Overall, it depends on your playing style.

Armor: Constitution, Evasion, Focus, Evasion Up, Tremor-Proof and Earplugs are compatible slash axe skills.

Nicktals said:
Is there a way to tell what kind of armor/attack boost you get after consuming a potion (or buying one of those attack/armor charms at the store)?

And, are they stackable? If I have that charm in my item box, and then drink a demondrug, and then a might pill...or whatever, as long as they're all different...will they keep stacking? I assume you can't stack the same thing...
Yes you will notice a boast of +6 armor/ +8 attack when you bring the charm out for quest. You can try around and see which are stackable, just take note of the numbers in the status screen.

You cannot stack demon drug and might pill as might pill > demon drug. Might pill only last for 20sec, but you can consume might seed to prolong the effect. Take note that if you consume a might pill follow by a demon drug, your attack will be pull down.

Ryuuga

Banned
Baker said:
My first piece of advice would be: don't worry what other people think. If you enjoy using switch axes, use switch axes.

Yeah, most of the complaints about the SA came from the upswing attacks which would quite commonly knock teammates over. As I've grown more comfortable using the weapon online, I've learned to rely more on the horizontal slash combo to prevent any mishaps.

Tenbatsu said:
Weapons: Assault axe is sort of a supporting weapon as it is the only Slash Axe with status attack ability. Since its a supporting weapon, you don't really need to be bother about the affinity. Wear an armor with Status Atk Up and try to use more bombs/traps. Bolt axe on the other hand is an attacking weapon. Overall, it depends on your playing style.

Armor: Constitution, Evasion, Focus, Evasion Up, Tremor-Proof and Earplugs are compatible slash axe skills.

Thanks a bunch, Ten. I think I'll try using the Bolt Axe for offline play (though it'll be a while til' I'll be able to actually get the parts) :(

Saya

Just did the Jhen Mohran event quest! So much fun! Can you get the sturdy fang drop from him even if you dont cut off a horn? It's keeping me from obtaining the full armor set.

Owzers

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I had no idea what was going on and as I was exploring everything you could do on the boat I accidentally fired the Dragonator. Then one of the kids said "F'ing noobs", abandoned the quest, and left the city. Made me feel real nice :mad:. Luckily the other two kids I played with were really nice and said don't worry about it. We still repelled him that round anyways.

I still don't know what the Dragonator is. Is it the thing at the front of the ship that? I also don't know how to fire the gong. All i do is equip a "transporter +10" item and haul cannons. I'm a worker bee.

Alex

Switch Axes are a fantastic weapon class and are amazingly versatile. nice, raw AP on the axe side and solid status-elemental/ESP/*incredible* attack patterns on the sword side. Anyone frowning on them is a doof. I don't feel this is really even open for discussion. Maybe they're talking about the players? Since there is a fair bit of Switch-Axe misue out there, namely the spamming of the stamina depletion combo.

The Paralysis Phial is great, but I really feel if you're going to rock an abnormal status weapon like that, you should do so knowing that someone else will have one as well, solo it can be a bit meek if you're not rolling with consistent headshots and whatnot but with a pair of ,say, Paralysis weapons it's a great thing.

gotee12

Baker said:
The first thing I did last night was to solo jhen. I had NO expectations of accomplishing anything, I just wanted to familiarize myself with the quest so that I wouldn't be too noobish. Of course, by the time I had finished messing around, I couldn't find anyone in Wisdom40 that was free, so I went back to offline. Oh well, I'll try it again tonight, if I can pry away the tv remote from the wife...

Ryuuga

Banned
Alex said:
Switch Axes are a fantastic weapon class and are amazingly versatile. nice, raw AP on the axe side and solid status-elemental/ESP/*incredible* attack patterns on the sword side. Anyone frowning on them is a doof. I don't feel this is really even open for discussion. Maybe they're talking about the players? Since there is a fair bit of Switch-Axe misue out there, namely the spamming of the stamina depletion combo.

The Paralysis Phial is great, but I really feel if you're going to rock an abnormal status weapon like that, you should do so knowing that someone else will have one as well, solo it can be a bit meek if you're not rolling with consistent headshots and whatnot but with a pair of ,say, Paralysis weapons it's a great thing.

Oh Alright, I decided that I'll continue to use the AA+ for online play. Yeah, the complaints about it were mostly due to misuses of the cross-swing combo and upswing. While online I've come more accustomed to using the horizontal combo and stopping short for dodges. I almost never used the sword axe mode because I wasn't a fan of the decreased mobility and could never find a right opportunity to use it, but now I can see how it'd be useful as a support character bringing follow-up attacks when a monster staggers or is trapped.

Thanks for the advice people, you've all given me a lot to think about.

botticus

gotee12 said:
The first thing I did last night was to solo jhen. I had NO expectations of accomplishing anything, I just wanted to familiarize myself with the quest so that I wouldn't be too noobish. Of course, by the time I had finished messing around, I couldn't find anyone in Wisdom40 that was free, so I went back to offline. Oh well, I'll try it again tonight, if I can pry away the tv remote from the wife...
Ha, that was my plan for tonight. I'd not be surprised if I got one-shot before I even figured out what was going on, but better there than with other people!

gotee12

botticus said:
I'd not be surprised if I got one-shot before I even figured out what was going on...
After goofing around for 15 minutes, I thought I was getting somewhat familiar with his attacks. Then he one-shot me. :lol

sillymonkey321 said:
I still don't know what the Dragonator is. Is it the thing at the front of the ship that? I also don't know how to fire the gong. All i do is equip a "transporter +10" item and haul cannons. I'm a worker bee.
The Dragonator is at the front.

I didn't try the gong last night, but I've read that the gong button is in the back near where the cannonballs are.

Owzers

Alex said:
What we do atm:

-Ballista off the first horn

-Harpoon him, climb on, mine and break off the plates, anti-dragon bombs on the second horn, gun off second horn.

-Ballista/cannon/melee and break front leg scales

-Everyone sets bombs on the mast, fire Dragonator when he pops, throw paintball to detonate bombs when he's hit by the Dragonator.

~15ish min repels.

Paintballs detonate bombs?

Wired

_bluemoon said:
Any EU folks want to jump on to help me kill Barroth?

I'll help. Can never have too much mats :p

edit: may have spoken too soon, keep getting an connection error (what the hell is wrong with the servers)... getting tired of this happening all the damn time

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Do monsters sometimes randomly get stronger? I've been through 2 Rathians pretty easily offline, but my most recent 3rd (randomly in Moga Woods) killed me 3 times, had me pinned at least 4, and cornered me quite a bit.

Top Bottom