• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Delio

sillymonkey321 said:
I've been trying to farm Jhen to get enough stuff to make the armor but the random parties are all dying for the most part.

I'm pretty decent at not dying even if i'm only HR 19.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Neo C. said:
I feel bad for my team. I failed at setting the trap intelligently. :(

It's pretty easy to make more Shock Traps
Thunder Bugs+Trap Tool.
. I bring an extra one (the most I can carry) along with me at all times.

If you're in an area where you can pick up the bugs, just bring a few Trap Tools with you as well, so you can combine them if you miss a few times.

Owzers

Delio said:
I'm pretty decent at not dying even if i'm only HR 19.

I'm not great, lvl 25, but i'm decent at not dying too and i'm starting to get the general flow of what needs to happen during the battle....i don't like the balisttas though they are slow to aim for me.

Haunted

"Only" HR 19, "only" HR 25 - you guys are crazy. :lol

If you have to invest a billion hours into the game before you can be considered any good, the perception must be seriously skewed towards the wrong end of the spectrum of players. :p This isn't Everquest or WoW endgame content!

Baker

Banned
I'm up for farming Jhen in a couple hours. I have never died on him, but I don't do much other than set off 50 million cannon balls. :D

I'd just like some people to run through my 2* urgent real quick also.

Dreavus

Random groups are actually perishing to Jhen? There is little excuse for failing a Jhen Mohran repel from too many deaths. From running out of time I can understand, but as long as everyone keeps their health up, and raises their max HP via food or potions, he's hard pressed to actually kill someone most of the time. We had a run last night where one of our guys tried using LEATHER ARMOR for the speed gather, and even though he got killed twice (one-shotted in most cases) we still repelled him successfully.

Haunted

Dreavus said:
Random groups are actually perishing to Jhen? There is little excuse for failing a Jhen Mohran repel from too many deaths. From running out of time I can understand, but as long as everyone keeps their health up, and raises their max HP via food or potions, he's hard pressed to actually kill someone most of the time. We had a run last night where one of our guys tried using LEATHER ARMOR for the speed gather, and even though he got killed twice (one-shotted in most cases) we still repelled him successfully.
The first random group I tried him with had a HR3 guy in incomplete leather armour, which he claims was "his best set". >_> Couple that with overall confusion and people not knowing what they're doing and yeah, I have seen people dying to Jhen. :lol

I haven't yet! Took plenty of sand baths, though. :p

Is it random at what point he actually throws you off his back or is there something you can do to increase your chance of staying on (a certain position, or doing a move with correct timing)? The physics when you're flying don't give a very good feedback to what's actually happening.

I think I'm back to using my hammer. I tried different weapons (mainly LS and lance) in the past ~10 hours and while I kinda liked them for their benefits I still think hammer is the way to go for me. Its maneuverability and brute force is a devastating and unbeatable combination -- I just wish most of its attacks wouldn't interrupt my mates attacks...

windfish

Haunted said:
The first random group I tried him with had a HR3 guy in incomplete leather armour, which he claims was "his best set". >_> Couple that with overall confusion and people not knowing what they're doing and yeah, I have seen people dying to Jhen. :lol

I haven't yet! Took plenty of sand baths, though. :p

Is it random at what point he actually throws you off his back or is there something you can do to increase your chance of staying on (a certain position, or doing a move with correct timing)? The physics when you're flying don't give a very good feedback to what's actually happening.

how can a hr3 guy fight jhen? i thought you have to be hr27?? cant wait to actally fight him for myself, i just love those big ass dragons =D

d0c_zaius

Haunted said:
"Only" HR 19, "only" HR 25 - you guys are crazy. :lol

If you have to invest a billion hours into the game before you can be considered any good, the perception must be seriously skewed towards the wrong end of the spectrum of players. :p This isn't Everquest or WoW endgame content!

Well the game defines that as low rank, so it makes sense.

Im not sure what point you are trying to make with the bolded section, with the EQ/WoW reference, or the investing "a billion hours".

Well I just died to Lagiacrus... the fight just went on and on and on =x then again I was testing out my new LS. It's funny how I started with the GS and really wanted to use a lance but sucked at it... Now I'm used to the lance and tried my GS again and I can't stand it. The best feeling in the world is seeing a poor monster try to limp off to another area while I charge at it with my trusty lance, make them fall down, and then give them a 1 hit KO :D

Also, I used to despise Gobul but now I kill him in under 10 minutes. He never gets to his nesting area. It was bad news when I had to give junior a lantern because I can never hit such a little target. I focused my attention on it and then used a shock trap and finally broke it off.

Then the other day I went out to fight Gigginox and was hardly prepared... I just wanted to check it out and ended up ALMOST killing it but I had no resources (herp derp) But he isn't that bad. Stab his butt/face, stay away from the droppings/eggs, and ignore the giggis. When he goes up on the ceiling just change the view and RUN away from his elastic attack and anytime he plops down it's clobbering time :D 40+ hours in! Fun fun

demonkaze

I swear, i'm getting sick of all the scales and shells they keep throwing at me. Even with the Jaggi Mask, Jhen is still being tight ; ; Around 9 battles and not one gem or blood.

demonkaze said:
I swear, i'm getting sick of all the scales and shells they keep throwing at me. Even with the Jaggi Mask, Jhen is still being tight ; ; Around 9 battles and not one gem or blood.

I got 1 gem and 2 bloods >_>... I guess I r lucky.

Arghfucksake, I must have wasted like 5 hours on this fucking online section today.

Spent FOREVER finding a group then kept getting crap ones. I get to 18 and now all ive done is fail on everything.
People running at a pissed off Diablos with 1/3rd of their health, people not healing or running out of the zone to do it when they are really low etc etc

Getting sick of this and am tempted to pack it up and not touch it again.
Online sucks hard compared to the psp versions.

d0c_zaius

Johnlenham said:
Arghfucksake, I must have wasted like 5 hours on this fucking online section today.

Spent FOREVER finding a group then kept getting crap ones. I get to 18 and now all ive done is fail on everything.
People running at a pissed off Diablos with 1/3rd of their health, people not healing or running out of the zone to do it when they are really low etc etc

how does online suck MORE than not having a legit online? I dont understand

and yes, I imagine 3 star quests will weed out all the bad players.

d0c_zaius said:

Ps3 adhoc seemed pretty legit to me?

Because its slow as fucking shit is my main complaint.
Wasting tonnes of time because of stupid people is just a genral complaint.

Johnlenham said:

Are you going to Wisdom 1, CG 40?

Johnlenham said:

It takes practice and that level of play seems to be the make or break level regarding a player's skill.

Johnlenham said:

Crazy talk. Online for MH3 is significantly better on the Wii (and it's still sub-par compared to how it could have theoretically been handled on the PS3 or 360). PSP online (prior to North American adhoc finally coming out) was a fucking nightmare to get up and running when compared to how easy it is now.

With the ease of getting online though, it opens the doors for people that are still learning how to optimize their hunting experience.

You're frustrated. Take a breather and go solo something.

Also...if you're not playing on Wisdom 1, CG 40...then fail.

markatisu

nacire said:
So if I enter a city and the people there are currently questing, the only thing I can do is wait?

Pretty much all you can do is wait or start your own quest to pass the time. I find that whenever I show up and people are on a quest its easy enough just to sit at the table and wait. I have never had to wait more than 10-15min.

Johnlenham said:
people not healing or running out of the zone to do it when they are really low etc etc

Why is running out of the zone bad? Would you rather they get hit and then cost you reward money as well as put you closer to instant fail??

d0c_zaius

Johnlenham said:

So you would rather use a third party program that requires a ps3 to play with a niche group?

and of course people will suck, its a complex game and has a lot of new players. WHICH IS A GOOD THING.

oh ok then, im walking away slowly

d0c_zaius said:

The average person using ad hoc party and xlink kai tended to be more serious about hunting in terms of being prepared and knowing what they're doing. There are also far fewer people using ahp or kai, so any averages based on smaller groups will tend to be further skewed. The downside is that there was no weeding out of the cheaters. Tri is so much better in that regard.

Personally I think weeding out the cheaters is a better than fair exchange.

markatisu said:
Pretty much all you can do is wait or start your own quest to pass the time. I find that whenever I show up and people are on a quest its easy enough just to sit at the table and wait. I have never had to wait more than 10-15min.
I've said this a few times already, but people need to go into their online settings and change the setting that allows you to get messages while on a quest. It's off by default.

What this allows you to do is get a message that people have returned from their quest while you're in your quest. So, you can go on a gathering quest and if people return sooner than expected, abandon. If five minutes pass, you can deliver the paw pass ticket when you see them return.

Johnlenham said:

Hey oz, lets hunt together this weekend!

Cant play in a full room ;)

Well ok ill give you that Jp setup wasnt exactly easy but once setup it took no time atall to get into a game.

I need to capture lagi offline and he can do one as I must have killed tweltymillion of the buggers, as Im wearing full armour and his slash axe :lol

markatisu said:
Why is running out of the zone bad? Would you rather they get hit and then cost you reward money as well as put you closer to instant fail??
No I want them to get out of the zone, not run about like headless chickens half dead trying to save on potions or something.
d0c_zaius said:
So you would rather use a third party program that requires a ps3 to play with a niche group?

and of course people will suck, its a complex game and has a lot of new players. WHICH IS A GOOD THING.

oh ok then, im walking away slowly

Yes because that program loaded up faster. I could probably switch the ps3 and wii on at the same time and be in a game on the psp before ive even reached choosing between on and off line.

QUOTE=Fistwell]Hey oz, lets hunt together this weekend![/QUOTE]

sure if im about. id be equal to you guys if my internet wasnt a piece of junk!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yikes, I wasn't expecting Barioth to be so difficult. Gonna have to make a new set for this guy, because my current armor isn't cutting it. He looks damn cool though!

Also, is there a site around that lists the armor skills for every piece of armor? MH3 Wiki only seems to be updated for the Lagiacrus set.

Hiltz

Question 1 : Does Cha Cha's earphone ability only work on himself and not also with the player?

Monsters like Gigginox and even Rathian like to roar a lot so earphones would come in handy if there's another way for the player to acquire them as a skill.

Question 2: Anyone know how much damage the Long Sword's spirit gauge does ?

Question 3: Where can I find/make antiseptic stone ?

Took down 2 Rathians (killed one & captured another) as well as a Royal Ludroth and a Great Jaggi. One of the Rathians clobbered the Great Jaggi while Cha Cha slapped Rathain in the face with a thunder attack. Pretty amusing to watch.

Working on making Rathian and Gobul armor sets.

Dreavus

Lyphen said:
Yikes, I wasn't expecting Barioth to be so difficult. Gonna have to make a new set for this guy, because my current armor isn't cutting it.

He looks damn cool though.

That guy jumps all over the place; it's hard to get a hit in. I've only fought him a few times offline but he gave me quite a bit of trouble. Basically the only time I've found where he gives you a chance to hit him is when he does the little hop, followed by 2 VERY FAR reaching leap-slashes - after the second one he'll sometimes stay still for a few moments long enough to hit him.

I fought him just enough to make the Tusk lance but not enough to upgrade it. Not looking forward to getting those last two amber tusks. :lol

Lyphen said:
Yikes, I wasn't expecting Barioth to be so difficult. Gonna have to make a new set for this guy, because my current armor isn't cutting it. He looks damn cool though!

CAN you break his head?

Wait...Barroth...not Barioth.

Dreavus

bigdaddygamebot said:
CAN you break his head?

I distinctly remember shattering one of his tusks. Not sure if it does anything other than create a higher chance for them to drop afterward, but it's possible!

EDIT: oh, Barroth. I have no idea. :lol

Nisa65

bigdaddygamebot said:
CAN you break his head?

You can break the top of his crown with a hammer. I used to hate fighting Barroth but smashing his face in with a hammer is most satisfying.

Mardak

Dreavus said:
We had a run last night where one of our guys tried using LEATHER ARMOR for the speed gather, and even though he got killed twice (one-shotted in most cases) we still repelled him successfully.
Yup that was me. ;) Now I have plenty more defense with a partial jhen/yamato set. I don't think the speed gather actually helped that much. Might as well just crouch and gather.

Oh and yeah, eating meat+meat and bringing max potions is definitely a good idea.

d0c_zaius

Johnlenham said:
Yes because that program loaded up faster.

Ill take an increased player base and a longer online shelf life over a couple seconds of loadtimes.

Comparing both versions is pointless anyway since one is capable of installs while another isnt.

Put the nub frustration aside and get a snack during those couple extra seconds:D

Nisa65 said:
You can break the top of his crown with a hammer. I used to hate fighting Barroth but smashing his face in with a hammer is most satisfying.

So I'd have to go smashy-smashy with a hammer though. I might have to expand my arsenal to hammers.

I can burn a Barroth down quick-fast with my lance now and I'm fairly competent at taking off it's tail with the lance.

The head...not a chance.

Sure would like to smash the hell out of him though...

d0c_zaius said:
Ill take an increased player base and a longer online shelf life over a couple seconds of loadtimes.

This.

Dreavus

Mardak said:
Yup that was me. ;) Now I have plenty more defense with a partial jhen/yamato set. I don't think the speed gather actually helped that much. Might as well just crouch and gather.

Oh and yeah, eating meat+meat and bringing max potions is definitely a good idea.

To your credit, it was a pretty good idea, because theoretically you'd be able to fire the ballista a lot more often and deal a lot more damage, and it's not like jhen attacks very often. It's just if you happen to get hit it's pretty much game over. :lol

JRPereira

bigdaddygamebot said:
Ever since playing with you that one night, I now carry a healing horn whenever possible. They're a huge help.

I generally stick to using them almost exclusively when 3-4 of the group need to be healed - at that point you're tossing out a mega potion or more of health whenever you use it. Aiming for the felyne hornblower skill should help a lot too - if I'm not mistaken, that reduces the chances of your horns breaking.

Soon as I get the chance, I'm putting together a gunner armor set with wide area (some healing items affect the group - basically duplicating the effect of lifepowders for cheap) and/or whatever the name of the hornblower armor skill is -- few things are more useful than having team with masses of extra health (and potentially also armor/damage using the armor/demon horns).

I have yet to properly use a regular hunting horn, but I've tried it a few times. I'd love to get the hang of using it well.

evangd007

Dreavus said:
To your credit, it was a pretty good idea, because theoretically you'd be able to fire the ballista a lot more often and deal a lot more damage, and it's not like jhen attacks very often. It's just if you happen to get hit it's pretty much game over. :lol

Gemming for speed gatherer isn't too hard; just need 5 slots, 5 Altaroth stomach and 5 aquaglow jewels to make them.

JRPereira said:
I generally stick to using them almost exclusively when 3-4 of the group need to be healed - at that point you're tossing out a mega potion or more of health whenever you use it. Aiming for the felyne hornblower skill should help a lot too - if I'm not mistaken, that reduces the chances of your horns breaking.

Soon as I get the chance, I'm putting together a gunner armor set with wide area (some healing items affect the group - basically duplicating the effect of lifepowders for cheap) and/or whatever the name of the hornblower armor skill is -- few things are more useful than having team with masses of extra health (and potentially also armor/damage using the armor/demon horns).

I have yet to properly use a regular hunting horn, but I've tried it a few times. I'd love to get the hang of using it well.

I haven't a clue what it's good for.

It seems like a taunt, which I understand but the practical applicaions of it seem REALLY limited.

Sure, I can pull the raging monster off our gunner or an injured and low on pots teammate BUT...I'm not 100% sure on the hunting horn.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just tried Jhen a couple times in a random group. (Wisdom 1 City Gate 40) It was a first for all of us so we didn't really know what to do. When failed both attempts due to people dying. So yeah I agree, health buff + potions is a must. I'll climb back on later and try and get a complete.

If Haruka and Superaap are gaffers here, then thanks for adding me, it will be nice actually having people on my friends list.

Final Journal in half an hour: 6:30 CST

Region NA

Target: Jhen Mohran.

I'll only have time for one solid run before I have to duck off and get the writing done for tomorrow's post.

Come join Khory in the usual Gaf spot.

Haunted

windfish said:
how can a hr3 guy fight jhen? i thought you have to be hr27?? cant wait to actally fight him for myself, i just love those big ass dragons =D
Repel Jhen is free for all and has no HR requirement.

Haunted

d0c_zaius said:
Yes, exactly! :)

My biggest gripe in online gaming is when people don't respect new players.

Teknoman

Dreavus said:

Was that the run I was on? Remember hearing something about that...but yeah its hard to die from it, unless you get too careless/forget that you can see those flying rocks by tilting the camera towards the sky.

Haunted said:

Exactly. Alot of the time, rank/games played does not equal skill. Sucks when you're the low rank guy...especially in games with lobby voice chat :lol

markatisu

Haunted said:

yeah I feel the same way, what I find funny is when you get disrespected for having a low HR and then the person making fun of you gets their ass handed to them in the quest

Top Bottom