• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Owzers

Ryuuga said:
Is anyone running Jhen soon? If so, I'd be willing to join in.

I'm about to hop on soon too, i'll check the gaf server and if nothings up i'll make a room and see if the llamas come out.

edit: Made an Event Quests ho! room. JOIN!

gotee12

Man it feels so good when you go back to a monster that you struggled with before (in this case the R. Ludroth) and you just decimate it. :D

grendelrt

So what is the best weapon to kill Lagiacrus offline with? I can only make up to rathian level stuff since thats all that is unlocked offline. I currently have Ananta Boneblade which i destroyed him on the repel mission with, but on the hunt mission its mostly underwater and the sword doesnt seem as good under water. I might be able to make Vulcanis if i can get a Jumbo Pearl. I also have a couple lances with 299 damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Niblet said:
Doing rustshard run, but I'm up for Jhen in a bit.

Can you do these online? I'm looking for the one that turns into the light bowgun, but I don't have access to the area yet in singleplayer :lol

Dreavus

grendelrt said:
So what is the best weapon to kill Lagiacrus offline with? I can only make up to rathian level stuff since thats all that is unlocked offline. I currently have Ananta Boneblade which i destroyed him on the repel mission with, but on the hunt mission its mostly underwater and the sword doesnt seem as good under water. I might be able to make Vulcanis if i can get a Jumbo Pearl. I also have a couple lances with 299 damage.

I've had lots of success using the lance in all my underwater hunts, Lagiacrus included. You can block pretty much everything and not have to worry about trying to dodge, which can be kinda awkward beneath the surface.

grendelrt

Dreavus said:
I've had lots of success using the lance in all my underwater hunts, Lagiacrus included. You can block pretty much everything and not have to worry about trying to dodge, which can be kinda awkward beneath the surface.

That sounds pretty good, I ran out of time using the LS, so I am hoping to be able to attack quicker with another weapon.

botticus

Capturing Ludroth offline was far more difficult than it needed to be. Had him tied up outside his underwater bed, and managed to throw a paintball at him instead of a tranq bomb. :lol Didn't have time to fire off two more so I had to go all the way to base for another trap and back again. Wasn't sure how much he was able to rest so I cautiously smacked him around for a bit on land (first time I've been to area 12 :p) and got him the next time he went to sleep.

At least I have the goodies for a full set of armor. Figure I'll swap out my Jaggi Mask for whatever bonus I get - Protection, I think. Otherwise I have a feeling Barroth will kick my ass. I'll put my mask back on for online and subsequent offline attempts at him for his droppings.

gotee12

Dreavus said:
You can block pretty much everything and not have to worry about trying to dodge...
Wait a sec... the lance's shield can block attacks well enough so that you don't have to dodge like a madman to stay alive? Block attacks well enough as to take minimal to no damage?

botticus said:
Capturing Ludroth offline was far more difficult than it needed to be. Had him tied up outside his underwater bed, and managed to throw a paintball at him instead of a tranq bomb.
I literally just finished this quest!

Hey Tek, can you go online with me to help get a Barroth's Tail? I'm almost complete in Barroth armor, but am missing the tail for the waist armor.

I'm HR 6 now, but you're higher than 8 aren't you? Which is required for the Barroth quest isn't it?

gotee12 said:
Wait a sec... the lance's shield can block attacks well enough so that you don't have to dodge like a madman to stay alive? Block attacks well enough as to take minimal to no damage?

Seemingly, as long as you have the stamina...you're good.

With that said, some attacks eat a SIGNIFICANT part of your stamina bar, so govern yourself accordingly.

There were a few attacks in MHFU that pounded me even though I blocked. I can't remember which ones but they were very end game and very rare.

Dreavus

bigdaddygamebot said:
Seemingly, as long as you have the stamina...you're good.

With that said, some attacks eat a SIGNIFICANT part of your stamina bar, so govern yourself accordingly.

There were a few attacks in MHFU that pounded me even though I blocked. I can't remember which ones but they were very end game and very rare.

Yeah, there are a few of those in this game as well. I'm pretty sure you can't block the Gigginox's poison belly flop, for example. Although, there is an armor skill that boosts your guard and lets you block stuff that was previously unblockable.

gotee12 said:
Well crap. I ignored lance's in MHFU and thus far in Tri... #idiot

When you first start using it, you'll feel like you're not hardly moving at all.

This is because you're not hardly moving at all. ;)

However, once you learn the fights, exercise some patience and get the hang of wielding the lance, there's nothing quite as satisfying as eating three fire blasts in a row from a rathalos while everyone else screams and scatters.

Dreavus said:
Yeah, there are a few of those in this game as well. I'm pretty sure you can't block the Gigginox's poison belly flop, for example. Although, there is an armor skill that boosts your guard and lets you block stuff that was previously unblockable.

Oh yeah...I forgot about that skill. MHFU had that skill as well.

gotee12

bigdaddygamebot said:
When you first start using it, you'll feel like you're not hardly moving at all.

This is because you're not hardly moving at all. ;)
I experienced that in the demo. Which, consequently, is why I chose to ignore them... until now. :D

Niblet

8 Rustshards = 1 rusted great sword I will never use. Will do 1 more run then head online

Edit: Im quite sure that you can do harvest: volcano runs online when you get to the appropriate level of stars. I only have 2 star quests which let you harvest Flooded Forest and Desert

Poyunch

Hero of Legend said:
Hey Tek, can you go online with me to help get a Barroth's Tail? I'm almost complete in Barroth armor, but am missing the tail for the waist armor.

I'm HR 6 now, but you're higher than 8 aren't you? Which is required for the Barroth quest isn't it?
You can't pass HR 9 or do 2* quests without first doing the Barroth Urgent Quest but you can't do the Barroth Urgent Quest until you have enough points to be HR 9.

gotee12 said:
I experienced that in the demo. Which, consequently, is why I chose to ignore them... until now. :D

You'll love them the first time you do a charge attack, and chase down a limping, and fleeing monster, hit them from behind and send them sprawling.

Kyuur

BARRRRROOTTTTHHHHH...

Finally finished my urgent online with my girlfriend. Took us like 4 tries but we aced the last try. Finally used to his patterns I guess. Then we found out you need to do urgent for the each person. ;_; Oh well. Time to go do it again...

Hiltz

I HATE Lagiacrus.So mad right now.

Attempted to do the second urgent offline quest "Fell the Lagiacrus" but I lost due to time running out. Used the long sword and managed to break his chest fairly early on but it just wouldn't die! He killed me a second time and I had less than 3 minutes to rush back from Moga Woods base camp to area 12. I landed a couple more blows on him but time just ran out.

The bastard wasted so much time just swimming away.

It was the most intense and longest fight I've don so far.

Anyone know where to find Jumbo pearl ? I hear it may be in moga woods area 10/11 where the red coral is at but haven't found one yet.

noonche

Niblet said:
8 Rustshards = 1 rusted great sword I will never use. Will do 1 more run then head online

Edit: Im quite sure that you can do harvest: volcano runs online when you get to the appropriate level of stars. I only have 2 star quests which let you harvest Flooded Forest and Desert

You got 8 in one go, or over multiple trips? If so, how'd you do that? I've been hoping to get a rusted hammer, but haven't had any luck.

Teknoman

Hero of Legend said:

Yeah I think i'm HR 14 now. But I probably wont be online until later tonight.

Hiltz said:
I HATE Lagiacrus.So mad right now.

Attempted to do the second urgent offline quest "Fell the Lagiacrus" but I lost due to time running out. Used the long sword and managed to break his chest fairly early on but it just wouldn't die! He killed me a second time and I had less than 3 minutes to rush back from Moga Woods base camp to area 12. I landed a couple more blows on him but time just ran out.

The bastard wasted so much time just swimming away.

It was the most intense and longest fight I've don so far.

Same happened to me...except I had the thing limping before time ran out. Going to head back at some point with some Mega demondrug, Armorskin, and more. Online farming and whatnot.

Ridley327

It's like he knows people are coming to farm him. :lol :lol :lol

He managed to throw me into the air into a boulder. I couldn't help but laugh.

Neo C. said:
I feel bad for my team. I failed at setting the trap intelligently. :(
Heh don't be, at least I thought it was fun when it happened as I remembered my offline Rathian capture in the flooded forest, she flew away from zone 2 when I set the shock trap, and I had only pitfall traps left, which of course don't work on water so I had to wait for her to go through zones 3, 7 and 9 before she decided to go to sleep in area 10 where I could finally lay the trap near her and complete the capture ^^

botticus

Wow, didn't think I'd be able to take Barroth offline after not knowing what the hell I was doing online. Beat him with 3 minutes left, phew! No deaths, so that's something. Didn't get his tail off, unfortunately.

I got online with other people, and got the tail and am now have complete Barroth Armor! :D

I wish there was an easy way to get regular Armor Sphere. :/ I only seem to get them as rewards, why can't these be mined? :(

Ridley327

Hero of Legend said:
I got online with other people, and got the tail and am now have complete Barroth Armor! :D

I wish there was an easy way to get regular Armor Sphere. :/ I only seem to get them as rewards, why can't these be mined? :(

They do show up in mining spots, but they're very rare; I actually managed to get an Armor Sphere+ in the Tundra from a spot while digging for Bloodstones.

Hiltz

Hero of Legend said:

You'll be able to get them by trading with the sea merchant guy. He'll offer armor spheres and rare armor spheres as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there any way to get out of the Gobul air suck of doom or is that just a guaranteed hey watch while you get hit move?

Ridley327

Hawkian said:
Is there any way to get out of the Gobul air suck of doom or is that just a guaranteed hey watch while you get hit move?

CurrentRes allows you to resist and eventually null that effect; Ludroth set has +10 CurrentRes which will give you a coin flip on the suction move.

Hero of Legend said:

In the volcano there are some spots filled with armor spheres, and to a lesser extent, armor sphere+, so you can probably mine like 4/5 of them in one spot.

Teknoman

Hero of Legend said:

Tundra is awesome for armor sphere mining. Seemed to get a few on the Sandy plains, but you can also stock up on them with the trade ship.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ridley327 said:
CurrentRes allows you to resist and eventually null that effect; Ludroth set has +10 CurrentRes which will give you a coin flip on the suction move.

That's a no for me, but interesting nonetheless.

As a gunner, especially with my equipment, this fight just isn't any fun. I just had him completely fucked and limping, trapped, hit with one tranq, then a ludroth got in the way of my second shot. And of course he can feed on those Ludroth to regain HP. Ran out of time as he limped away again.

How about a way to reliably get him back on land? Why the fuck can't you throw dung bombs underwater?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It isn't, and literally everything I have any desire to craft calls for me to beat this quest. :lol

Here we go again.

PusherT

Going to be on in 5 min if anybody wants to play together anything but jhen mohran i'm tired of him:D look for PusherT HR 36

JRPereira

You can re-fish out monsters? WHAAAAT? Also, it works on anything other than a gobul?!

[edit] OOOH, I bet hunting horns would be useful for that too! Maybe that's the hidden secret amazing use for the regular horns!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
gotee12 said:
You're probably VERY familiar with this, so no insult intended but...
have you tried fishing him out with a frog?

No insult taken, but- can't you ONLY do this when he's in area 4?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Capcom are such evil bastards. Putting a Gobul and a Lagiacrus in the same underwater zone for the capture Lagiacrus quest. :lol It's funny to see Gobul stunning Lagi with its flashing antenna.

JRPereira

Bisnic said:
Capcom are such evil bastards. Putting a Gobul and a Lagiacrus in the same underwater zone for the capture Lagiacrus quest. :lol It's funny to see Gobul stunning Lagi with its flashing antenna.

They're evil bastards just for putting Gobul in the game (and Plesioth - fucking hip check!) I still love them anyways.

Top Bottom