• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

gotee12

Hawkian said:
No insult taken, but- can't you ONLY do this when he's in area 4?
The way I read your original post it didn't sound like you were aware of any way to get gobul out on dry land. Sorry for the misread.

Though I do wonder if you can also fish him out of the blue lake (can't remember what quadrant it is)? Every time I've gotten him to the blue lake area I've spent all my time wailing on him and completely forgot to try.

Ridley327

gotee12 said:
The way I read your original post it didn't sound like you were aware of any way to get gobul out on dry land. Sorry for the misread.

Though I do wonder if you can also fish him out of the blue lake (can't remember what quadrant it is)? Every time I've gotten him to the blue lake area I've spent all my time wailing on him and completely forgot to try.

There's no fishing spot in the cavern, so no dice.

markatisu

I am hoping online to finish my 1* quests and do some basic early stuff, if anyone wants to join me its GAF server City 3

Would really like to do the new Urgent but need to get this stuff done first

Tenbatsu

JRPereira said:
Also, after rocking my first MH3 LS, I don't see a huge need for the slash axe - unlike with the other weapons, I don't see what the slash axe offers in terms of unique feel or special features.
Speed, super armor and fencing is its greatest advantage. A very good tail cutting weapon too.

Haunted said:
Is it random at what point he actually throws you off his back or is there something you can do to increase your chance of staying on (a certain position, or doing a move with correct timing)? The physics when you're flying don't give a very good feedback to what's actually happening.
Green smoke is your best friend here. Take note of the sound it emit, its the signal that he will be using this move

Hiltz said:
Monsters like Gigginox and even Rathian like to roar a lot so earphones would come in handy if there's another way for the player to acquire them as a skill.

Question 2: Anyone know how much damage the Long Sword's spirit gauge does ?

Question 3: Where can I find/make antiseptic stone ?
1. You can activate EARPLUG skill. Rathian suit has it.
2. White 1.05X Yellow 1.1X Red 1.3X
3. Earth Crystal + bitterbug (its in the description if you point your wiiremote over)

Hiltz said:
Anyone know where to find Jumbo pearl ? I hear it may be in moga woods area 10/11 where the red coral is at but haven't found one yet.
Yeah its there but the rate is pretty low so it depends on your luck.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
gotee12 said:

Captured! And I hope I very very rarely have to hunt this asshole ever again. :lol

The key for me in this fight was to totally go against my normal habits for expounding ammo and manage it completely differently. It was much better for me to start with the easy to aim and fire ammos that did simple, direct damage to chip away at him until he started to falter and stumble that way, then break out the exhaust, para, and crag ammo to really mess him up. By the time I fished him out of the water a second time, I was confident I had it won, and my trusty sleep shot-shock trap-tranq shot capping combo worked like a charm.

More than making these changes to my style, though, was just coming to know his patterns as a result of doing it over and over again. I know I shouldn't have had to be convinced, but it really is just like Punch-Out :lol You just come to know your opponents tricks, not just which attacks to dodge but at what moment to dodge which attacks, when you have enough time to sneak in another shot, when it's just some full-on Bald Bull shit and you need to just run and pray. It was remarkable how, while still not by any means an "easy" fight when I finally won, I hesitated less and less after each attempt.

I know this isn't that worthy of boasting about, but I wanted to mention that I accomplished this task with the starting purchased light bowgun, upgraded twice, and the regular Hunter's armor, upgraded once. Knowing what you're doing really does matter more than any stats or equipment in this game.

EDIT: YES! The shop stocks Exhaust Ammo now, woooooo

markatisu

Starting my own room, I was with 2 guys who were just wow. They would not talk to me and then wasted all the trap stuff about 5 min in :lol

I am in City 10

Teknoman

markatisu said:
I am hoping online to finish my 1* quests and do some basic early stuff, if anyone wants to join me its GAF server City 3

Would really like to do the new Urgent but need to get this stuff done first

You still get Hunting points for beating event quests, so you might want to do as many as you can before it disappears.

Owzers

I had some really really really bad luck with trying to farm Jhen today. I think i did the quest about 8 times yet only succeeded in finishing the quest twice.

markatisu

Me and another are waiting for 2 more to do the Barroth Urgent Quest (its shorter if you have more than 2), if anyone wants to join in I am going to wait about 5 min

GAF Server City 10

Remfin

Eyemus Lutt said:
so is it only possible to repel jhen or can you actually fight him on land like I saw in a you tube video but it was Japanese.
The Event Quest for lowers is repel-only.

Am I correct in saying the Jhen fight is about breaking parts and then just being worker bees for the rest (cannons or ballista if you can aim well)? I'm so tired of being the one person on ship while the other 3 are convinced that climbing on and just attacking random parts is how you win (and spending 90% of their time being dragged behind the ship), but I'm not really confident in telling them that's wrong right now.

Hiltz

Tenbatsu said:
Speed, super armor and fencing is its greatest advantage. A very good tail cutting weapon too.

Green smoke is your best friend here. Take note of the sound it emit, its the signal that he will be using this move

1. You can activate EARPLUG skill. Rathian suit has it.
2. White 1.05X Yellow 1.1X Red 1.3X
3. Earth Crystal + bitterbug (its in the description if you point your wiiremote over)

Yeah its there but the rate is pretty low so it depends on your luck.

Thanks.

Owzers

Remfin said:

Am I correct in saying the Jhen fight is about breaking parts and then just being worker bees for the rest (cannons or ballista if you can aim well)? I'm so tired of being the one person on ship while the other 3 are convinced that climbing on and just attacking random parts is how you win (and spending 90% of their time being dragged behind the ship), but I'm not really confident in telling them that's wrong right now.

I'm still somewhat puzzled. You can blow tusks off with dragon bombs, counter it's spine attack with the gong, and use the bow's special drill attack when it tries to bum rush the front of the boat.....but that's about all i know for sure. The designated areas with cracks in the spine can be broken...somehow. I kept doing charged great sword attacks but it didnt break while i was doing it.

PusherT

Having seen MH tri graphics i can't wait to see how nintendo can top them with Zelda, it would be cool if Nintendo Ead group had the Monster Hunter team help with game design too. Be great to fight Rathalos in LoZ as a boss:D

Teknoman

Remfin said:

It does help to break the parts on it, but the majority of repel damage comes from cannons, ballistas, dragon bombs, and of course ballista harpooning the guy so people can score normal hits.

Also dont forget the gong scares it away when it does it's sideway slam.

PusherT said:
Having seen MH tri graphics i can't wait to see how nintendo can top them with Zelda, it would be cool if Nintendo Ead group had the Monster Hunter team help with game design too. Be great to fight Rathalos in LoZ as a boss:D

Those would be some insane looking (especially animation wise) bosses.

PusherT

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm still somewhat puzzled. You can blow tusks off with dragon bombs, counter it's spine attack with the gong, and use the bow's special drill attack when it tries to bum rush the front of the boat.....but that's about all i know for sure. The designated areas with cracks in the spine can be broken...somehow. I kept doing charged great sword attacks but it didnt break while i was doing it.
The tusk can destroyed with regular balista shots too. yeah Hunter gong is good for counter attack, like right b4 he slams into ship. the dragonbombs are great for when u crack a hole on his back place them in the holes:D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Giginox can go burn in hell. I wasted the 2 antidotes in the first 2 mins because that's all i had, wasted half my mega potions, all my first aid ones + the ones from the subquests, and still managed to die 3 times because of his fucking poison he spam and that is sucking half my health before it goes away. AAAAAHHHH. Not knowing where the hell he is facing isn't helping either.

PusherT

Teknoman said:
It does help to break the parts on it, but the majority of repel damage comes from cannons, ballistas, dragon bombs, and of course ballista harpooning the guy so people can score normal hits.

Also dont forget the gong scares it away when it does it's sideway slam.

Those would be some insane looking (especially animation wise) bosses.

Capcom has worked Zelda before and after putting over 90+ hrs in Tri I would love for a codeveloped Nintendo/Capcom zelda. I want meat cooking in my Zelda and I want a stamina bar for link. The environment in tri are insane LoZ Wii needs to match this game. Link fighting a Rathalos secret boss battle. Too awsome that it won't happen :(

Poyunch

Bisnic said:
Giginox can go burn in hell. I wasted the 2 antidotes in the first 2 mins because that's all i had, wasted half my mega potions, all my first aid ones + the ones from the subquests, and still managed to die 3 times because of his fucking poison he spam and that is sucking half my health before it goes away. AAAAAHHHH. Not knowing where the hell he is facing isn't helping either.
It's not that hard if you use his wings as reference.

edit: Probably not going to be on tonight but if anyone's up to doing some lagi quests with me tomorrow that would be cool. I'd like the armor set but I don't enjoy fighting the boss in the single player since it can be so long (at least for me). It's much faster with a bunch of players.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of Lagi, is there any way to force him to go out of the water? He's much harder when he is underwater. Only missing his helm and belt, which for some reason are still not available from the blacksmith. I guess i have to do more quests for them to show up, like the one to kill that damn Giginox.

Teknoman

PusherT said:
Capcom has worked Zelda before and after putting over 90+ hrs in Tri I would love for a codeveloped Nintendo/Capcom zelda. I want meat cooking in my Zelda and I want a stamina bar for link. The environment in tri are insane LoZ Wii needs to match this game. Link fighting a Rathalos secret boss battle. Too awsome that it won't happen :(

In a world with Big Boss/Naked Snake shooting rockets at Tigrex, you never know :lol

Remfin

Bisnic said:
Speaking of Lagi, is there any way to force him to go out of the water? He's much harder when he is underwater. Only missing his helm and belt, which for some reason are still not available from the blacksmith. I guess i have to do more quests for them to show up, like the one to kill that damn Giginox.
I think those goes back to the question earlier about dung bombs underwater, and the simple answer is probably that if people could force monsters out of the water, no one would ever fight them in the water, cause water combat sucks :lol

Armor shows up in the shop when you have some ratio of the materials needed to make it; if you have Lagi armor not showing up then keep collecting stuff from Lagis.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is pretty annoying. In order to get the book that allows me to make the stock of the gun I want, which is necessary to make the barrel I had to get a seperate book for useful at all, I need to trade a 3 star rare commodity to the captain, the only one of which is obtainable by killing a Rathian in the Moga Woods. I don't even have hunting a Rathian as one of my quests. What was the point of even making the book available after the 3 star quests -_-

Owzers

When Diablos claws his way underground people throw something that makes him rise up and be staggered.....anyone know what item this was? I'm guessing...flash bomb or sonic bomb.....

Remfin

Hawkian said:
This is pretty annoying. In order to get the book that allows me to make the stock of the gun I want, which is necessary to make the barrel I had to get a seperate book for useful at all, I need to trade a 3 star rare commodity to the captain, the only one of which is obtainable by killing a Rathian in the Moga Woods. I don't even have hunting a Rathian as one of my quests. What was the point of even making the book available after the 3 star quests -_-
You get * commodities by free hunting in Moga Woods. Check the forecast for Rathians (you have to have done the kill? capture? rathian quest first, and it can take a while to start showing up). You're perfectly free to use a Lagi commodity too if you want :)

EDIT: you mean you can't even hunt Rathians in a quest yet? woops :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just made a new room in the GAF server. 2 players here already in City1. We are just looking for other very new players like ourselfs :)

Tenbatsu

Remfin said:
I think those goes back to the question earlier about dung bombs underwater, and the simple answer is probably that if people could force monsters out of the water, no one would ever fight them in the water, cause water combat sucks :lol
I wonder how you guys are going to handle arena mode?:lol

sillymonkey321 said:
When Diablos claws his way underground people throw something that makes him rise up and be staggered.....anyone know what item this was? I'm guessing...flash bomb or sonic bomb.....
Sonic Bomb

Remfin

Tenbatsu said:
I wonder how you guys are going to handle arena mode?:lol
Since I have met exactly 0 people with any interest in Arena I don't think I'm gonna have much problem with that :lol

omg, just repelled ceadeus in sp. it was a slow yet epic battle. died my first try but came back, broke its horn and finished him of with the dragonator a few minutes before time.

only game that gave me this kind of rush was shadow of the colossus.

i guess its time for me to at least give my wii a few hours of rest as its been on for almost 2 days straight now.

WTF at chacha's dance LOL

Pancho

Qurupancho
Greatest group ever! Sorry that I had to bail, had a monster of my own to take care off
giant flying cockroach!
. Had a great time even though I got steamrolled like a bitch:lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got up to HR35 today. And...I think that's gonna be it. At least for a while. I'm becoming more and more burned out with MH. I'm already playing less and less, and it really sucks because all the friends I've made in online multi are getting so far ahead of me. =/ But after like 117 hours, I just don't really want to play that much anymore.

Making the non+ Lao wannabe armor is a colossal waste of time, the + KutKu wannabe armor has higher defense than a maxed out version of the former.

Make the tatchi though, that thing is fucking badass.

sprsk said:
You don't need to set a bomb.

The real Jhen Moran fight is epic because of the music. It's got this moment where you're just like FUCK YEAH LETS BRING THIS SHIT DOWN!!
Basically, I was actually worried at the final showdown when "the" theme didn't start as he walked through the dust cloud, but then hitting the 'nator did it and I got this huge shit-eating grin on my face.

I was on with markatisu and that sucked donkey balls. Nobody else ever showed and Barroth summoned up the spirit of the plesioth and hip checked my ass from quite a considerable distance.

Then my wife got pissed that the stupid hunt took so long. The one night she gets home reasonably early, doesn't have crappy dramas to watch, and wants to actually do something enjoyable together instead storms off in a funk because we're taking too long.

Rest assured GAF- If the possibility of any kind of bedroom excitement comes up whilst playing Monster Hunter, I will unfortunately be dropping that quest without a second thought. I'm sure you'd all do the same!

I just royally screwed up my first online mission.

Got killed 3 times by a Jhen. The first time i died at all by him since i first fought him which was embarrassing.

First time, a ship ram took out 90% of my hp which i wasnt expecting.
2nd a rock hit me from way way farther than usual.
3rd was a belly flop when one of us failed to use the gong.

I have no idea what happened. It couldnt have been a + Jhen was it? I should be able to qualify for that at 38 i think. It could have been an event quest. Are they alot tougher?

Tenbatsu

Gamer @ Heart said:
I have no idea what happened. It couldnt have been a + Jhen was it? I should be able to qualify for that at 38 i think. It could have been an event quest. Are they alot tougher?
What's the HR criteria? I don't remember any event quest for Jhen.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Gamer @ Heart said:
I just royally screwed up my first online mission.

Got killed 3 times by a Jhen. The first time i died at all by him since i first fought him which was embarrassing.

First time, a ship ram took out 90% of my hp which i wasnt expecting.
2nd a rock hit me from way way farther than usual.
3rd was a belly flop when one of us failed to use the gong.

So 38 is when you get the urgent for 5*?
Nice i'm 37, so that shouldn't be too far off.

I DO wish you could fight Ceadeus online, because I want to upgrade his water LS, but I hate that fight. he swims way too fast to keep up with, and using a dragonator underwater is just bs.

Diffense

I'm not at all far into the game but I'm already thinking it was a good buy.
The graphics are great, the atmosphere is on point and the old-school gameplay is addictive even when it is repetitious.

It's funny that if I hadn't played the demo I might have picked up the game without a second thought just from what I'd read.
It is not a pick up and play game so the demo really couldn't ease a new player into it or really show the depth.

FootNinja said:
So 38 is when you get the urgent for 5*?
Nice i'm 37, so that shouldn't be too far off.

I DO wish you could fight Ceadeus online, because I want to upgrade his water LS, but I hate that fight. he swims way too fast to keep up with, and using a dragonator underwater is just bs.

No. Next Urgent is 40.

forrest

formerly nacire
Great hunting tonight! Managed to get from HR6 - HR11 levels or so. Big props to Matt for hanging with me for so long!

Dreavus

Remfin said:

I could agree with that. On the Jhen repels I've done, the first time he gets into boarding range usually involves everyone jumping on and getting some mining done, someone putting the bombs on his tusks, and then anyone who wants to stick around attacks his cracked scales for as long as possible before getting thrown off. After that it's usually never more than two people on his back because it's better to attack his scales from the far side - rather than the side facing the ship - and having more than one person on the same side attacking the same scale can get problematic depending on the weapons being used. I usually stick to grappling him when I can and attacking the fin, or blowing off the tusk if no one else is doing it.

Once the scales are shattered there is no reason to get on his back anymore (we've tried attacking the second tusk/head but everything seems to bounce off of him), and everyone should stick to cannons/ballista. I'm not even sure if busting the scales improves the rewards at all, but we usually do it anyway.

EDIT: As a side note, I thought I was done with Jhen Mohran for now after crafting his armor and the special Longsword, only to find out there's a Sword and Shield made from his materials! I don't know if I'll have the time to repel him enough times tomorrow. It may have to end up happening next time he arrives.

Luigiv

Just took down Rathian. She was much, much easier hear then she was in the demo. That makes me sad :(.

Guess I have to wait until I reach the high rank quests until the game will actually start challenging me.

Top Bottom