• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Boney

Banned
Hiltz said:
Ah, I got killed once by a Rathian and I was on a roll last night . Killed the past 5 of them yesterday without getting killed once but there were some close calls.

I was in the middle of using a potion when she grabbed me and did that move where she stomps on you.By the time I got up she had also poisoned me and I immediatly fainted.

It's pay back time!
Use a Dung Bomb to get him off you. I too learned that the hard way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Saya said:
Anyone up for some Rathian farming (capture quests for the plate)?

Created a room in Wisdom1/gate40/city3

I would like to do quite a bit of this tonight, around 8 EST perhaps. Anybody be around then?

Leezard

I just had a brutal fight against a Lagiacrus, I ran out of potions, i thought i saw him limping at one point, but he never fled to sleep. I thought I had to hurt him a bit more, but I killed him. is it possible to capture a monster in the water?

Ridley327

Leezard said:
I just had a brutal fight against a Lagiacrus, I ran out of potions, i thought i saw him limping at one point, but he never fled to sleep. I thought I had to hurt him a bit more, but I killed him. is it possible to capture a monster in the water?

Yup, but you're limited to just Shock Traps as Pitfalls won't work underwater for obvious reasons. You'd be hard pressed to cap Lagi or Gobul otherwise.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ridley327 said:
Yup, but you're limited to just Shock Traps as Pitfalls won't work underwater for obvious reasons. You'd be hard pressed to cap Lagi or Gobul otherwise.

Putting Gobul to sleep and shock trapping him underwater worked just as beautifully as capping a land creature with either kind of trap. I hope it holds true for Lagi as well.

Leezard

Ridley327 said:
I see, thanks. I'll have to give it another try then. I suppose you dont have to put the trap on the sea bottom?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Leezard said:
I see, thanks. I'll have to give it another try then. I suppose you dont have to put the trap on the sea bottom?

Shock traps float n' shock, right where you use em.

Wired

Yeah, sadly I'm about done with the online mode I'm getting fairly tired of being unable to connect and seeing error messages popping up all the time. If you try to troubleshoot you hear the same old shit, "open ports" "reboot the router" "I've had no issues, the problem is on your side" "do this, and that".

When I first got the game I was unable to connect to shit, I put the Wii in the DMZ which if I understand it correctly allows it full access to all ports, everything worked great for a couple of days but now... again no online for me.

And considering the fact that I've had exactly ZERO problems with any other online game on the PC or 360 I can only draw the conclusion that Capcom's servers suck ass and that they are taunting me, personally. Seriously Capcom, get your shit together. Fuck.

Victrix

*beard*
It's not capcom's servers, the game is peer to peer, so even if YOUR wii has ports opened, someone else in the game could cause disconnects

Solution: Play with non shitty people and form regular groups. Then yell at anyone in the group that causes connection issues until they fix their shit :p

JimboJones

Hmmm that is odd, if it's just monster hunter thats doing it and things like the wiishop or other Wifi connection games work fine then I guess it probably is there fault :S

Edit: Or maybe it's what Victrix said.

Schwabe

Hello dear european hunters! We need one more now, for doing Alatreon. My ID is LMU5M6. We wait @ recruiting server. HR46+ is required.

Victrix said:
It's not capcom's servers, the game is peer to peer, so even if YOUR wii has ports opened, someone else in the game could cause disconnects

Solution: Play with non shitty people and form regular groups. Then yell at anyone in the group that causes connection issues until they fix their shit :p
I've noticed something similar with xlink kai. There are some people with decent connections that have way more than their fair share of problems connecting with other people. There are probably a lot of different possible places where shit can happen like the router not playing nice with the console/PC, the ISP being wonky in general with peer-to-peer gaming, and so on.

Leezard

Does anyone know what ports MH3 uses? I've been experiencing some problems online, and if opening the ports solves it, I'll do it.

Hawkian said:
Shock traps float n' shock, right where you use em.
Awesome.

markatisu

Leezard said:
Does anyone know what ports MH3 uses? I've been experiencing some problems online, and if opening the ports solves it, I'll do it.

Have you tried putting your Wii's IP in the DMZ on your router? That would be the best way rather then messing with ports since it opens up the entire machine to the net

JRPereira

Geeze. After going through the MH wiki, I'm hoping they've got a lot of gaps to fill and stuff to correct - bowguns look pretty bleak from what I'm seeing.

Victrix

*beard*
My beef with bowguns is they're just too annoying to manage from an inventory perspective. Putting together the guns is mildly neat, though it's too slow to do 'on the fly' online unless you want your friends waiting - you can at least save setups, so that's not a problem later.

The real issue is that the ammo is a PITA, and there's no 'save ammo set' option, so you have to manually refill after each mission, and it clogs up your bank - and you can't buy all the ammo types, so you constantly have to make more.

Basically just a nuisance. And for that effort you get... well, an ok weapon, but I have more fun up close dodging.

It's a good support weapon online though!

Hiltz

Boney said:
Use a Dung Bomb to get him off you. I too learned that the hard way.

Ah, thanks for the tip.

Any tips on where to find dragon toadstool ? I've read that they can be found in Moga Woods as white mushroom patches but everytime I gather em their just blue mushrooms. I suppose they just have a low percantage drop rate or something.

JRPereira

Yea, I plan to primarily use bowguns online, and ammo management isn't really much of an issue with me, but the offering from the guns are actually pretty mediocre - you have to work pretty hard just to stay on par with the other weapons.

I'd love to see a really thorough list of all of the bowgun parts and all of their stats (its seems the MH Wiki one is missing at least a few things).

Owzers

Hiltz said:
Ah, thanks for the tip.

Any tips on where to find dragon toadstool ? I've read that they can be found in Moga Woods as white mushroom patches but everytime I gather em their just blue mushrooms. I suppose they just have a low percantage drop rate or something.

in the online world that little boy's shop has them, half off now too.

Ridley327

I'll be going on again for a bit so I can (hopefully) get one more Sturdy Claw from Jhen so I can have enough parts to be able to get the SnS in the future. Feel free to join in on the fun!

Owzers

Ridley327 said:
I'll be going on again for a bit so I can (hopefully) get one more Sturdy Claw from Jhen so I can have enough parts to be able to get the SnS in the future. Feel free to join in on the fun!

I just left a marathon jhen session, no failures ( FINALLY )........and no earth dragon crystals :( i want that jhen armor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question: Does mining the back of Jhen decrease the chances to get rare drops in the rewards box?

dsister44 said:
faust, selenae, oz and other EU gaf. i'll be back online tommorow evening, whose up for doing some event quests and then some 3* quests?
Hey dude! Ill b on tomorrow night for sure. Wont be around saturday tho.

GOD, i had the worst fucking night ever. First off, the community's been pretty fucking stellar so far, but tonight, i dont know what the shit, but, god, what a bunch of wankers. Randoms just insulting everyone, then this guy i know, who i join, then we wait for his buddy for 20 minutes, then he gets kicked out (idle too long), then we wait some more, then another guy shows up to replace him, but then they say they're leaving, except they're not leaving, then thenAjjamjzdùoazjù bunch of fucking asswipes.

Finally hooked up with faust and other friends of mine, we do the urgent a cple of time (didnt get any blood). Then my friends take off, we HR grind a bit, then i fucking stink up the whole goddamned place on uraagan. NOT A GOOD NIGHT!

Sorry again faust! I'll b better tommorow, i promise!! =D

Niblet

I'm looking to get into being a gunner for online play. I want to be a supporter akin to a battle-ready medic. Bowguns are really confusing me though. From part selection to ammo capacity, I am lost. Can anyone give me a primer? I'm especially confounded by the ammo stuff. If a gun has a 3 for Normal Lv2 that means it can load 3 shots? So if an ammo does not have a number then it cannot even load that ammo type, right? If so then all the bowguns seem like shit because they all seem to let you load very few ammo types. How can you deal with this?

Big props to the various characters I played with last night for Jhen runs. Off the top of my head: Kronus (beautiful bowgun support), Uhu, Freya, Lokraus (sp?), Cody. There are a few more but the mental fatigue from hours of Jhen has shorted my memory. I enjoyed playing with everyone last night.

I did all the farming I need to do for Jhen last night. Got enough to make both sets of armor + weapons (including multiple elderdragonbloods). Its a good feeling when (super/crazy)lucky cat activates a few times through the farming session netting you multiple of the rarest loot :D. I'm glad for it because I'm tired of Jhen farming. Worse than rustshard farming because the mine deposits don't make me run through mega potions. Speaking of which its about time to farm more shards :lol

Hawkian said:
I would like to do quite a bit of this tonight, around 8 EST perhaps. Anybody be around then?

I'm game to try a few Rathian caps. Let me know.

_tetsuo_ said:
So...... any possible DLC for this one?
Definitely not. There are technical limitations and there is Capcom who would rather release a G version of tri. And the Event Quests kinda act like weekly, free DLC anyway.

Fistwell said:
Hey dude! Ill b on tomorrow night for sure. Wont be around saturday tho.

GOD, i had the worst fucking night ever. First off, the community's been pretty fucking stellar so far, but tonight, i dont know what the shit, but, god, what a bunch of wankers. Randoms just insulting everyone, then this guy i know, who i join, then we wait for his buddy for 20 minutes, then he gets kicked out (idle too long), then we wait some more, then another guy shows up to replace him, but then they say they're leaving, except they're not leaving, then thenAjjamjzdùoazjù bunch of fucking asswipes.

Finally hooked up with faust and other friends of mine, we do the urgent a cple of time (didnt get any blood). Then my friends take off, we HR grind a bit, then i fucking stink up the whole goddamned place on uraagan. NOT A GOOD NIGHT!

Sorry again faust! I'll b better tommorow, i promise!! =D

Well hellooooo :lol Had a melt down like me then haha

Owzers

Niblet said:
I'm looking to get into being a gunner for online play. I want to be a supporter akin to a battle-ready medic. Bowguns are really confusing me though. From part selection to ammo capacity, I am lost. Can anyone give me a primer? I'm especially confounded by the ammo stuff. If a gun has a 3 for Normal Lv2 that means it can load 3 shots? So if an ammo does not have a number then it cannot even load that ammo type, right? If so then all the bowguns seem like shit because they all seem to let you load very few ammo types. How can you deal with this?

Big props to the various characters I played with last night for Jhen runs. Off the top of my head: Kronus (beautiful bowgun support), Uhu, Freya, Lokraus (sp?), Cody. There are a few more but the mental fatigue from hours of Jhen has shorted my memory. I enjoyed playing with everyone last night.

I did all the farming I need to do for Jhen last night. Got enough to make both sets of armor + weapons (including multiple elderdragonbloods). Its a good feeling when (super/crazy)lucky cat activates a few times through the farming session netting you multiple of the rarest loot :D. I'm glad for it because I'm tired of Jhen farming. Worse than rustshard farming because the mine deposits don't make me run through mega potions. Speaking of which its about time to farm more shards :lol

I'm game to try a few Rathian caps. Let me know.

Wait.......what's this lucky cat thing?

So how how do new arena monsters for singleplayer/splitscreen become unlocked? Ive been playing this game for a while now, and have yet to unlock any new battles.

Neo C. said:
Just beat my first Barroth online. Though my team mates are certainly more effective than I am.:lol
I'm sorry for the 2 deaths I caused...he rammed into me twice thus killing me without me being able to stand up and heal >_< and maybe because he thought it was funny, he did it AGAIN just before he finally gave his last breath.

JRPereira

Niblet said:

Each part contributes so much load capacity to a certain amount of shots - for example, a barrel may contribute a normal shot L2 load capacity of 2 shots, a frame 1, and the stock 0 - so the total load capacity for that ammo ends up being 3. If none of the parts of the gun contribute to the capacity, you can't fire the shot. If any part contributes rapid fire capability (highlighted box) to an ammo type, than all you need is at least a load capacity of 1 for that shot in order to be able to fire them (and thus 3 rounds per ammo spent).

So far it seems that you want to capitalize on rapid fire with whatever main shot you plan to use unless you have a very high capacity for your primary ammo - I've gotten normal shot up to 8 for example.

With the amount of ammo switching that I do, I generally don't care so much about having to reload so much so the load capacity doesn't mean so much to me. I'd love to have faster reloads though.

I'd recommend putting together jaggid fire and queropeco parts to start - they're cheap and you can build a gun that'll rapid fire pierce and recovery shots.

Niblet

sillymonkey321 said:
Wait.......what's this lucky cat thing?

It is an eating bonus skill. The keyword here bonus. Its not part of the list of skills when you pick cooking method. It is a random chance that one of the lucky cat skills will activate. Here are the 3 lucky cat skills:
Lucky Cat - Sometimes increases the number of Reward Items received at the end of a Quest.
Ultra Lucky Cat - Increases the number of Reward Items received at the end of a Quest.
Crazy Lucky Cat - Increases the amount of zenny received at the end of a Quest.

I got Ultra Lucky Cat and Crazy Lucky Cat a few times last night running Jhen. Crazy appears to only net you money but during that encounter I got 2 ElderDragonBlood. Coincidence but awesome. Also always pet the pig :lol

Edit:

JRPereira said:
Each part contributes so much load capacity to a certain amount of shots - for example, a barrel may contribute a normal shot L2 load capacity of 2 shots, a frame 1, and the stock 0 - so the total load capacity for that ammo ends up being 3. If none of the parts of the gun contribute to the capacity, you can't fire the shot. If any part contributes rapid fire capacity to an ammo type, than all you need is at least a load capacity of 1 for that shot in order to be able to fire them (and thus 3 rounds per ammo spent).

So far it seems that you want to capitalize on rapid fire with whatever main shot you plan to use unless you have a very high capacity for your primary ammo - I've gotten normal shot up to 8 for example.

With the amount of ammo switching that I do, I generally don't care so much about having to reload so much so the load capacity doesn't mean so much to me. I'd love to have faster reloads though.

I'd recommend putting together jaggid fire and queropeco parts to start - they're cheap and you can build a gun that'll rapid fire pierce and recovery shots.

So do you find the limit on what sort of ammo you can fire to hinder your play as a bowgunner or do you really end up only using very few types of ammo in actual play? I would hope that all ammo in this game is useful. I realize that some ammo would work much better on particular monsters. So I would guess that as long as you customize your gun for each mission the ammo limit isn't a big deal. Am I finally getting it?

JRPereira

Gotta customize for the monster and their weaknesses, but keep in mind that how often will you be firing the more specialized shots with smaller load capacities? Like para and poison you'll probably only fire for a couple of groups as the effect doesn't seem to be repeatable without a good few minutes of waiting. Sleep is another one. Slicing would be another good one to use very sparingly - probably later in battles as you usually can't cut off anything immediately and want to get some damage in anyways. Recov is a pretty obvious one that you won't fire very often, but you'll want to triple fire or have a decent load capacity if you find that you need to toss out a lot of them.

Everything else can either be rapid fired or can have a high load capacity with good parts.

My current situation gunner-wise is kind of annoying, but I am sitting on the 2* urgent lagi and will eventually unlock a host of additional guns (and rank up a good bit too).

Niblet

JRPereira said:
Gotta customize for the monster and their weaknesses, but keep in mind that how often will you be firing the more specialized shots with smaller load capacities? Like para and poison you'll probably only fire for a couple of groups as the effect doesn't seem to be repeatable without a good few minutes of waiting. Sleep is another one. Slicing would be another good one to use very sparingly - probably later in battles as you usually can't cut off anything immediately and want to get some damage in anyways. Recov is a pretty obvious one that you won't fire very often, but you'll want to triple fire or have a decent load capacity if you find that you need to toss out a lot of them.

Everything else can either be rapid fired or can have a high load capacity with good parts.

My current situation gunner-wise is kind of annoying, but I am sitting on the 2* urgent lagi and will eventually unlock a host of additional guns (and rank up a good bit too).

You definitely cleared up a lot for me, thank you. It seems like a much more committed task to worry about your gun's various parts + ammo capacity and bag stock for each monster than it is to just go at it melee taking the buffing flutes, maybe switching your weapon and armor and grabbing a couple of items to aid against the next monster. But I think once I get use to the role I'll be fine.

One more thing I need cleared up. Im confused about deviation. Some parts say none, some parts say reduced, reduced+, increased, etc. I figure none is the best, but whats up with reduced and reduced+? reduced from what? Deviation is the reason that the shots I made while practicing always veered sharply to the left? How can you tolerate this? Is it at least consistent?

JRPereira

I haven't noticed or understood the effects of recoil, deviation, etc. yet.

Also, it's my understanding that in order to get the most out of your shots (rather than doing as little as 1/3 of your maximum possible damage), you need to be firing within 3 or so standard dodge lengths. From what I've read, some shots aren't affected by distance (a majority of crag's damage - probably slicing and cluster too).

Niblet

JRPereira said:
I haven't noticed or understood the effects of recoil, deviation, etc. yet.

Also, it's my understanding that in order to get the most out of your shots (rather than doing as little as 1/3 of your maximum possible damage), you need to be firing within 3 or so standard dodge lengths. From what I've read, some shots aren't affected by distance (a majority of crag's damage - probably slicing and cluster too).

Ah recoil yes that one and deviation. I read up on 3 roll length and that was a little unsettling. I figured I would be staying mostly back. In this case Im not sure if I should go with a heavy (what I was planning on) or something more maneuverable like a light. Heavy does have a shield which is nice though.

Owzers

Just can't seem to get that earth dragon cyrstal, there was a crystal in my rewards box and i was all excited till i found out it was pelgacite....didn't know you could get those in reward box from Jhen.

gotee12

gotee12 said:
It's so friggin frustrating when you need that one mat and you can never find it. Stupid pearl...
Well I just learned something. If an item, the Jumbo Pearl in this case, is said to be found on the Deserted Island, then Moga Forest doesn't count.

Or at least I saw numerous places to harvest in sections 10 and 11 in the Deserted Island whereas I only had a single harvest point in sections 10 and 11 while in Moga Forest...

gotee12 said:
Well I just learned something. It an item, the Jumbo Pearl in this case, is said to be found on the Deserted Island, then Moga Forest doesn't count.

Or at least I saw numerous places to harvest in sections 10 and 11 in the Deserted Island whereas I only had a single harvest point in sections 10 and 11 while in Moga Forest...

found mine in the red coral quest, got 2 per try pretty much

Niblet

Fought my first Rathalos ever. Definitely tougher than Rathian. I had a hard time in the first half because he wouldn't stop hovering and moving which was a pain in the ass when Im trying to pound him with a hammer. I got more comfortable with the fight as it went on. Got him stunned and whaled hard on him. I almost lost the fight when I made a rookie mistake which I should know not to do: as soon as he was flashing for capture, I set a trap in the first zone he flew to instead of waiting for him to go to his roostt and sleep. Needless to say I set trap and he promptly ignores it and I and flies to roost. By the time the first trap disappears my timer is at 4 minutes and Rath is enraged and throwing a fit. I was doing good with not using potions but at this point he just went bananas on my ass. I had to chug. Nothing better than getting hit with his poisoning strike and then taking a fireball to the face while you are getting up adding fireblight on top of the poison. :lol Thankfully he zoned, I followed, let him zone back to roost and set the trap right this time with almost no time left on the clock.
<3 MH3

Haunted

Did some Jhen runs fairly quickly in succession, but never got his dragongem. :(

Only material left to complete my armour set. I guess this is payback for getting Ceadeus' dragongem in my second attempt ever.

botticus

gotee12 said:
Well I just learned something. If an item, the Jumbo Pearl in this case, is said to be found on the Deserted Island, then Moga Forest doesn't count.

I don't recall whether I found it during a Moga Forest run or a Ludroth hunt, but I snagged a Jumbo Pearl down where Ludroth sleeps in 11.

Top Bottom