• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Doombear

The one time I fought Lucent no one told me it poisoned...

I refuse to go into that fight without Null Poison, those damn barbs he throws out, they hit me every damn time. Null Poison and fully upgraded melee armor means I just need some Evade +1 to roll his tail whips and go go go! I love Narga more than most any other fight, but that one without Null Poison is no fun.

ohlawd

I like my speed eating +2 and evade +1 set on him. eats antidotes super fast so I can get back in the fray quicker but I prefer not getting hit by the barbs in the first place. sometimes I roll too early. I can't believe I still don't nail this 100% of the time. I could just walk over to the gap between barbs but eh I wanna hunt fancy by rolling everywhere

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I had a "hunt all big monsters" hunt in Misty Peaks, and after killing Narga, I went to the cave, where Rathian promptly showed up flying down. I hit her once with my dual blade, really just once, mid-air, and... she died.

WTF? xD Weird glitch.

So I had a "hunt all big monsters" hunt in Misty Peaks, and after killing Narga, I went to the cave, where Rathian promptly showed up flying down. I hit her once with my dual blade, really just once, mid-air, and... she died.

WTF? xD Weird glitch.

This happened to me several times in a multi quest that featured Volvidon. I stared at my GS in disbelief the first time.

tuffy

So, I bought this game during the capcom sale and I need help starting. Anything I should know?
Just keep in mind that a lot of the early quests are there to teach you things, like "Harvest 'Shroom" shows how to gather items from the map, "Farm Aid" shows how to use your weapon against little monsters, "Pain in the Plains" shows how to use your weapon against big monsters, "Bear Trap" shows how to capture big monsters, and so forth. The game takes a little while to get up to speed because of those tutorials.

Also, the quest-less Moga Woods area has no time limit and lets you die an unlimited number of times. Since the game dumps starter weapons of every type in your box, feel free to go try them out in conjunction with the game's built-in manual to see which you like. The game is beatable with any weapon, but they all play differently so use what fits your style.

Anura

I actually really liked L narga when I wasn't farming him to death. When he does his tail slam you can roll towards it to avoid this barbs. It must be very well spaced ending the roll as close to the tail slam as possible but still outside its range. It was a lot of fun to practice that and it's easily done with out evade skills if spaced right

I haven't done him in so long though so I doubt I could still do it consistently

Doombear

I like my speed eating +2 and evade +1 set on him. eats antidotes super fast so I can get back in the fray quicker but I prefer not getting hit by the barbs in the first place. sometimes I roll too early. I can't believe I still don't nail this 100% of the time. I could just walk over to the gap between barbs but eh I wanna hunt fancy by rolling everywhere

That is EXACTLY why I get hit too! Much easier to avoid if you just walk a few steps to the side when he fires them. NOPE! I have to roll, which usually means I roll right into them. I think the set I have for him is simply Null Poison, Evade +2, and Evade Extender so I am just rolling all day. I don't 'need' anything from him anymore, but I decided I wanted to get the other pieces I don't have for his set anyway. So back to Moonshard hunting.

Pila

I love lucent <3 all the nargas are funny to hunt and when I need money, I always have some lucent shards to sell... you farm the moonshard so much that you always have plenty of his common drops.

Here, question for the 3DS hunters: I recently got a 3DS XL so I can hunt a little during my lunch breaks (yeah, they announced the new model after two days. Yeah, it hurts =( ).

I'm looking for a CPP (big fan of the dual sticks setup^^) but I've got small hands, frontal buttons kinda look difficult to reach when the CPP is connected. Is there some hunter with small hands who got the thing? I can't try it out myself, they sure don't sell it in stores over here...

popyea

I love lucent <3 all the nargas are funny to hunt and when I need money, I always have some lucent shards to sell... you farm the moonshard so much that you always have plenty of his common drops.

Here, question for the 3DS hunters: I recently got a 3DS XL so I can hunt a little during my lunch breaks (yeah, they announced the new model after two days. Yeah, it hurts =( ).

I'm looking for a CPP (big fan of the dual sticks setup^^) but I've got small hands, frontal buttons kinda look difficult to reach when the CPP is connected. Is there some hunter with small hands who got the thing? I can't try it out myself, they sure don't sell it in stores over here...

CPP has it's own R button, which is easy to reach. You can still press the 3DS R for some reason, but there's no need to. I think you'll be good.

Haunted

Might hop online to play with two friends in 2 hours or so. Mostly doing G-rank stuff, but nothing too crazy (I don't think they'll be able to handle the arena P8 quests yet, for example).

We've been playing as three, but it'd be awesome if this time another GAFer wanted to join up and we'd get a full party going. :)

I'll post the details when the room goes live, same password as usual and everything.

Might hop online to play with two friends in 2 hours or so. Mostly doing G-rank stuff, but nothing too crazy (I don't think they'll be able to handle the arena P8 quests yet, for example).

We've been playing as three, but it'd be awesome if this time another GAFer wanted to join up and we'd get a full party going. :)

I'll post the details when the room goes live, same password as usual and everything.
Would love to get in on this. I haven't played in over three weeks.

Haunted

Awesome! It's open for anyone, I'll post the room details when I open it later and the first one to get in, gets in. :)

Haunted

thfydh8egnt8he5esoz8.gif

Free E

Lobby 3

password: gaf

Mephala

Bought my XL early last year, played it to death and seeing the new model still hurts any way.

As for the CPP. It isn't too difficult to reach the face buttons. I have fairly large hands but I can easily reach past the XYAB buttons and even tap the right side of the screen if. What is difficult is pressing the Start button without letting go of the CPP, not because my thumb isn't long enough but because I need to stretch it downwards at an awkward angle.
The CPP's right side is curved so you can rest your palm on it a bit allowing you to reach further as well.

It isn't uncomfortable to hold but it adds a bit of weight and bulk so I stopped using it as much.

Haunted

I was Hoshi Star. Added your NNID. :)
Excellent.

Even though the first couple hunts were really laggy, everything worked out well. That was their first time playing with someone else besides me - we're usually going with three melee weapons, so having a gunner in the team as a fourth is a great fit! Firuhn said she wanted to learn using a bow, but she's only ever played Dual Blades before, so we'll see how that goes. :D (We did the Lagi quests for the gunner armour).

Good hunting!

Mephala

I think they are about the same from my experience. Goldy starts in the final area though and you can pretty much go straight for the Dragonator. Regular needs you to tickle his chin for 5-15 mins before anything really happens at all. I also feel that my weapons and armor skills when I reached Goldy were far better, plus my experience on how to fight it already just makes Goldy a lot faster. I went back to regular Ceadus once and it was boringly easy but slow due to intro segment.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only reason I brought it up is that I was scratching my head trying to figure why I hadn't unlocked the best fight in the game, Hallowed Jhen, and it was because I never actually went back and killed Caedeus. So I go at him with G Rank equipment and while it did laughable damage it still went down to the final ten minutes or so. Then a week later I help a buddy reach G and we did it in 20 flat with barely any help from him and no prior damage racked up.

Koko

Banned
Speaking of Caedeus when did you unlock the mission?

I remember on Tri showing up after you beat the Rathalos, Barioth and Diablos. Already did these missions and also complete the request for the mask, but the mission hasn't appeared.

tuffy

Speaking of Caedeus when did you unlock the mission?

I remember on Tri showing up after you beat the Rathalos, Barioth and Diablos. Already did these missions and also complete the request for the mask, but the mission hasn't appeared.
After you've fulfilled "the Ancient Mask" request, "the Volcano's Fury" Uragaan quest is also key. Then you have to fulfill the "One Chance" request before finally getting to move on to "Save Moga Village!"

Quadratic

I'm meeting my offline group tomorrow. Any tips for Clashing Fists (Super Brachy)?

We tried last week with 1 status LBG, 2 bow, 1 HBG. We did the sleep bomb and traps. Blademastering seems tricky as he rages a lot and it's hard to close in.

We had one good attempt when we broke all his parts but the local wireless crapped out on us and disconnected the party.

tuffy

The last time I tried Super Brachy, I used an Eclipse Gambit set with Challenger +2, Pierce Up, Evade Extender, Attack Up (S) and a blademaster helm for putting a lot of pierce lv. 2 and 3 shots down his face or up his tail. I ate for Felyne Defender (hi) and kept my health topped off at all times to avoid being one-shotted. Traps are a must, but they're most effective when he's fatigued. Practice soloing the plain old G rank one if need be since it's all the same moves with a slighly wider blast radius and you should be able to manage just fine in a group of four.

ohlawd

Never knew there was a glitch to wreck Abyssal Lagi with ranged weapons! Bet it takes time doing it solo though.

hate searching for Abyss and all I see is "GLITCH"

he's not that bad meleeing either. Shouldn't take longer than 15 mins even with super crap teams.

Koko

Banned
After you've fulfilled "the Ancient Mask" request, "the Volcano's Fury" Uragaan quest is also key. Then you have to fulfill the "One Chance" request before finally getting to move on to "Save Moga Village!"

Like I said I already complete the "The Ancient Mask" request. No signs of the Uragaan quest or the "One Chance" request. Also already finished all 5 stars missions available

tuffy

Like I said I already complete the "The Ancient Mask" request. No signs of the Uragaan quest or the "One Chance" request. Also already finished all 5 stars missions available
Did you remember to pick up the completed Ancient Mask from behind the waterfall on the farm?

Mephala

Have you spoken to everyone around town? Including the Captain who trades rare goods and the felyne in the farm? ChaCha and Kayamba sometimes will have something to say before the missions become available as well.

Anyone up for some HR1-2 quests? I guess I would prefer to play with another low HR like myself, but if there are only high rank peeps available right now it's ok, then I'll just rise in HR faster :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone up for some HR1-2 quests? I guess I would prefer to play with another low HR like myself, but if there are only high rank peeps available right now it's ok, then I'll just rise in HR faster :p

If I wasn't out the door right now I'd roll up a new character and face roll some stuff with you.

tuffy

By coincidence, I've been practicing with a new HR1 hunter that's yet to do any Port key quests. I can lend a hand with that one in a few hours from now.

By coincidence, I've been practicing with a new HR1 hunter that's yet to do any Port key quests. I can lend a hand with that one in a few hours from now.
Ok, I may have time to play as well in a few hours. You just post here, as I'll sit and monitor while playing the game.

Edit: will have to be another time, just about to make dinner. I made it to the save moga quest though, yay!

As a person who has 300 hours onto one character and still has quite a bit to do, I will never understand having multiple characters in Monster Hunter.

tuffy

Edit: will have to be another time, just about to make dinner. I made it to the save moga quest though, yay!
Sorry! I'm still about 4 hours away from getting off of work and being able to get to my system.
As a person who has 300 hours onto one character and still has quite a bit to do, I will never understand having multiple characters in Monster Hunter.
In my case, since I didn't start heavy bowgunning until I was already at G rank, I just wanted to see how feasible it as at low and high ranks and what the weapon progression is like. Turns out it's not that bad, but gets a lot easier once decent sets with Evade Extender show up.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My friend has two characters, his second character used weapons he never used on his first (hunting horns and gunlances), and he wanted to simply go through the "rebuilding" of his sets and the feel of learning how to play like it was the first time. Obviously he still knew the basic mechanics but it's still a different feeling when starting from scratch and going through the low and high ranks first vs making a new weapon at HR 150 to test immediately against G-rank monsters.

ohlawd

I have 300 hours on my main too and I'm out of shit to do. No interest in doing the arena and grinding out the rest of the awards.

My 2nd hunter is basically me starting over from scratch just to experience everything again from the bottom. Also, I only want to use HHs on that file. Main objective was to play exclusively on 3DS with this file so I can get used to those controls but eh, you guys already know I failed horribly at that. The lure of the console and TV is 2strong4me.

at this point, I'm very familiar with lances, hammers, GSs, and HHs. I swore to never touch another LS and I'm never ever never ever gonna use SnSs, dual blades, gunlances or ranged weapons.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also some of the armor looks gross on men and awesome on women and vice versa. Perfect reason to have two characters right there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also some of the armor looks gross on men and awesome on women and vice versa.
You mean "the armour always looks gross on women", right?

Because it really fucking does. The Gold Rathian set I just made is the only set I have so far that isn't completely gross looking. I swear, next MH game I'm playing, I'm going to create a male character. >_<

Top Bottom