• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My skill level dramatically increases the more I knock people around with the upswing.

Damn that one Steel Urgaan felt the rath of god. I turned around after trapping the Black Diablos and it was GONE.

Mephala

My skill level dramatically increases the more I knock people around with the upswing.

Damn that one Steel Urgaan felt the rath of god. I turned around after trapping the Black Diablos and it was GONE.

I swear sometimes I'm untouchable no matter what I'm hunting. Everything goes well and I laugh as I roll through impossible attacks. Other times I die from deviljho walking on my toes as he goes for ChaCha.

Haunted

The time for hunting monsters is now.

Free D Lobby 1

password: gaf

We're going to hunt some big ones tonight, boys and girls!
except Jhen

Haunted

Hallowed Jhen it is.
Mdu5P.gif

Haunted

Good hunts with Sassy, Quad and Woosa.

I need to stop fainting, it seems I go from unkillable one night to easy meat the next.
Haha, everyone has an off day sometimes. Also, we didn't fail any quests, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

tuffy

Good hunts with Sassy, Quad and Woosa.
I even managed to talk everyone into doing Hallowed Jhen, and it wasn't that bad!
Haha, everyone has an off day sometimes. Also, we didn't fail any quests, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.
Really, if the quest is finished okay, carts don't matter. And even if the quest fails, that just means switching up tactics a little and trying again. Nothing to worry about!

also

Banned
Today while doing some random quests I spawned right in between Brachy's pounders. Took me a moment to realize it and bolt away in fear. As scary as Deviljho suddenly emerging below your feet.

I even managed to talk everyone into doing Hallowed Jhen, and it wasn't that bad!

Really, if the quest is finished okay, carts don't matter. And even if the quest fails, that just means switching up tactics a little and trying again. Nothing to worry about!
I like the (H) Jhen fights; there's always something to do and, unlike the other big monsters, you don't waste time dancing around it. That's a hunt done right.

Eventually, I'll need to do some convincing of my own as I never managed to kill him solo, only repel.

Anura

Today while doing some random quests I spawned right in between Brachy's pounders. Took me a moment to realize it and bolt away in fear. As scary as Deviljho suddenly emerging below your feet.

Sticky Situation, right? I love when it happens to me!

tuffy

Yup, that's the quest. Is that a common occurrence?
It's common enough. One of the Brachies always spawns in area 5 but that's also where it sometimes drops hunters at random. And since it's a pretty small ice cave, he's liable to be standing right over your shoulder if you wind up there.

Haunted

Worst 10 minutes of my life.

Seriously though, Jhen is literally my least favourite monster (fight) across the two generation of Monster Hunter games I've played. I wasn't joking when I said "just this once". :D I'm officially done with Jhen.

Haunted

What's wrong with Jhen? I love Jhen.
I liked him in Tri, epic fight. I also liked him in Ultimate for the first couple times, but after taking a long break and coming back to the game recently, I've really fallen out of love with him and his fight. There's just not enough variety for me, it's too scripted and formulaic compared to the dynamic, interesting behaviour of pretty much every other monster. That hides the repetition and makes doing the same things over and over again feel like less of a grind and more fun. Fighting a monster is different every time because there are so many different factors involved. Fighting Jhen feels like it's the same exact thing every time.

It's probably the most "MMO-ey" fight in Monster Hunter and I hate MMOs. :p

But enough of me bitching. I'm in the mood to hunt!

Made a room in D1 - password is gaf

Up for anything!
except Jhen/H.Jhen

Doombear

I think it is pretty rough if you have people that take the initiative or have the know to do the fight right. Gong, Ballista Binders, etc. Me, personally, I don't mind the fight if I am left out of all that =P I just toss on my HBG and crouch shot whenever I can. I don't worry about hopping on, I just worry about launching Normal 3 into his grumpy face as often as I can.

So yeah, if the other three people aren't on top of the Gong, etc. then it can be a long grueling mess of an eventual fail 30 minutes later because the boat is done for.

Soloing him was fun the first 3 times (after plenty of fails getting the timing down) but I would much rather jump online for him these days.

upandaway

He's fun. Back in Tri I spent like 3 days of nonstop MH with my friend (I remember it pretty clearly, was home because of a cold), figuring him out by ourselves and dissecting him inside out. Some of my favorite MH memories are Jhen quests. Lots of really funny clipping moments.

It's just not as scalable as the rest of the monsters when it comes to hundreds or thousands of hours of gameplay time.

Then again not much is in gaming, haha. Kinda puts the series into perspective when that's a complaint.

Haunted

It's just not as scalable as the rest of the monsters when it comes to hundreds or thousands of hours of gameplay time.
Oh yeah, exactly. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who's done it dozens of times before and is asked to do it again.

This is not the opinion someone who hasn't done jhen yet should take away about Jhen or take as an official review or anything. "Oh it's a shit fight, I don't want to do it." This is just my personal stance as a MonHun player hundreds of hours in.

Anura

Oh yeah, exactly. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who's done it dozens of times before and is asked to do it again.

This is not the opinion someone who hasn't done jhen yet should take away about Jhen or take as an official review or anything. "Oh it's a shit fight, I don't want to do it." This is just my personal stance as a MonHun player hundreds of hours in.

Yeah, pretty much. Jhen starts out really fun but gets very tiring after a certain point.

Still isn't as bad as Lao...

Yeah, pretty much. Jhen starts out really fun but gets very tiring after a certain point.

Still isn't as bad as Lao...

Yesterday I fought a hallowed jhen with a group and ended up killing it to early that we couldn't carve it because the invisible wall. So much wasted time.

Id love to play with you all. Ive been playing more often lately. My WiiU name is DudeBro

tuffy

I see Jhen's more divisive than I thought! Flopping out of bounds for no carves is some kind of bullshit though - essentially punishing people for finishing the quest too quickly. It fits my theory that Capcom doesn't give the ranged classes as much testing as the others; they didn't anticipate that anyone would be able to kill him off from a distance while he's still in the out-of-bounds area.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I liked him in Tri, epic fight. I also liked him in Ultimate for the first couple times, but after taking a long break and coming back to the game recently, I've really fallen out of love with him and his fight. There's just not enough variety for me, it's too scripted and formulaic compared to the dynamic, interesting behaviour of pretty much every other monster. That hides the repetition and makes doing the same things over and over again feel like less of a grind and more fun. Fighting a monster is different every time because there are so many different factors involved. Fighting Jhen feels like it's the same exact thing every time.
Yep, that's why it's a boring fight.

...But man, that music. The final showdown music, followed by the dragonator part, are probably my favourite parts of the score. It's worth doing just for that. xD

ConmanIX

Finally got the Alatreon G rank armor with my friend. Our first fight ended with 1 min 30 secs left. We were so hyped afterwards :D

Anura

I see Jhen's more divisive than I thought! Flopping out of bounds for no carves is some kind of bullshit though - essentially punishing people for finishing the quest too quickly. It fits my theory that Capcom doesn't give the ranged classes as much testing as the others; they didn't anticipate that anyone would be able to kill him off from a distance while he's still in the out-of-bounds area.

It's not just Ranged but Melee can do it too. He actually needs to move up quite a bit before you can carve him... It's such a dumb oversight.

I haven't fought Jhen yet but I was thinking, until now, that he would behave like Lao. My friends and I killed him in the first area, we didn't hit him at all in the next two areas, and we had to wait for him to trek to the last area and fall down dead as soon as he entered the area.

3 people with Ancient Dragonwood Cannons makes short work of that fight but made it more boring because of the wait.

Anura

I haven't fought Jhen yet but I was thinking, until now, that he would behave like Lao. My friends and I killed him in the first area, we didn't hit him at all in the next two areas, and we had to wait for him to trek to the last area and fall down dead as soon as he entered the area.

3 people with Ancient Dragonwood Cannons makes short work of that fight but made it more boring because of the wait.

That's the worst part of that fight...

tuffy

I have no idea who that is, so I had to look him up on YouTube. And he just sort of... casually strolls from one end of the map to the other while everyone takes shots at him?

I can understand the developers want to give people some nontraditional hunts to mix things up a little, but these fights would probably hold up a bit better if there was a bit more randomness thrown in.

Anura

I have no idea who that is, so I had to look him up on YouTube. And he just sort of... casually strolls from one end of the map to the other while everyone takes shots at him?

I can understand the developers want to give people some nontraditional hunts to mix things up a little, but these fights would probably hold up a bit better if there was a bit more randomness thrown in.

Be thankful Jhen is the worst we have now...

Anura

How fun are jhen 2 and that big ass snake dude in MH4?

Jhen 2 is kinda like... Well, Jhen 2.0. Snake is much better than Jhen but still has obvious patterns. I personally would say Snake guy isn't super fun but still not nearly the un-fun chore Jhen was.

Jhen and Ceadeus are the only two quests I don't care for so far [almost finished High Rank, I think]. I just fought Brachy again for only the third or fourth time and he's such fun! :D Oh and I really dislike Quropeco's for some reason. I just find them really irritating. I am already looking forward to being ridiculously overpowered once I get to G Rank in order to go back and kick their arses all over the place *evil grin*.

Top Bottom