• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Mephala

Just unlocked the village high jhen, any tips for a hammer user on the fight?

I recommend giving it a quick attempt before checking out a video guide. The battle is long and broken into two halves.

Some general tips.
- Pattern will always be the same with only a couple of attacks being different but the positioning of Jhen and where it is in relation to the boat is not going to change.
- All attacks cause damage to the ship's integrity. Too much damage will cause the quest to fail.
- Yellow Ballista Binding shot and Gong on the dragonship will flinch Jhen stopping its attack.
- You can destroy parts of his spine. Look for the odd coloured cracks and attack that area until it busts open and you can walk to the other side.
- His two front arms can be broken. I would aim ballista at them after his tusk is broken. You can attack his arms in the second phase pretty easily.
- Anti-Dragon bomb needs to be placed on Jhen. I generally put it on the tusk while on my way to the spine.

I recommend giving it a quick attempt before checking out a video guide. The battle is long and broken into two halves.

Some general tips.
- Pattern will always be the same with only a couple of attacks being different but the positioning of Jhen and where it is in relation to the boat is not going to change.
- All attacks cause damage to the ship's integrity. Too much damage will cause the quest to fail.
- Yellow Ballista Binding shot and Gong on the dragonship will flinch Jhen stopping its attack.
- You can destroy parts of his spine. Look for the odd coloured cracks and attack that area until it busts open and you can walk to the other side.
- His two front arms can be broken. I would aim ballista at them after his tusk is broken. You can attack his arms in the second phase pretty easily.
- Anti-Dragon bomb needs to be placed on Jhen. I generally put it on the tusk while on my way to the spine.
Cool thanks, yeah I was going to try it before looking at a guide. Is he like the other Elder Dragons and will repel and keep the damage the next round?

tuffy

Cool thanks, yeah I was going to try it before looking at a guide. Is he like the other Elder Dragons and will repel and keep the damage the next round?
Unfortunately, damage does not carry over after a repel. Each time he'll come back at full strength.

tuffy

He does take a lot of damage from slime explosions, so that's a good option.

Just keep in mind that the ballista binder and hunting gong recharge quickly. As long as you keep spamming them to fend of Jhen's attacks on the ship, you should be able to manage a simple repel at least.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I suck against Jhen. I managed to kill it in the village quest using G-rank weapons, but I had like 2-3 minutes left to the quest. I got the dragonator twice, but I think I didn't trigger the bombs correctly, and probably missed the timing on the gong a few times.

Anyway, I am now officially HR... 42. From 7 to 42, haha, that's a bit weird. Boy was
Dire Miralis
a boring fight or what? Worse than Jhen and Ceadeus IMO, because at least Jhen is segmented into "parts" of the fight and the music is cool. This is just spam spam spam, heal when you get hit (he does hit hard but w/e, you usually have plenty of time to heal), rinse repeat. The biggest fight is against the camera underwater, really annoying.

But that is some sexy armour skills though... Unshakable as good as it seems? Earplugs (HG? surely not?), Tremor Res and Wind Res together? Me want... but me hates fighting that boring thing... :(

Haunted

I suck against Jhen. I managed to kill it in the village quest using G-rank weapons, but I had like 2-3 minutes left to the quest. I got the dragonator twice, but I think I didn't trigger the bombs correctly, and probably missed the timing on the gong a few times.

Anyway, I am now officially HR... 42. From 7 to 42, haha, that's a bit weird. Boy was
Dire Miralis
a boring fight or what? Worse than Jhen and Ceadeus IMO, because at least Jhen is segmented into "parts" of the fight and the music is cool. This is just spam spam spam, heal when you get hit (he does hit hard but w/e, you usually have plenty of time to heal), rinse repeat. The biggest fight is against the camera underwater, really annoying.

But that is some sexy armour skills though... Unshakable as good as it seems? Earplugs (HG? surely not?), Tremor Res and Wind Res together? Me want... but me hates fighting that boring thing... :(
Dire's armour is nice, but his weapons are really why you want to fight him. Across the board probably the strongest fire weapons in every class.

tuffy

Unshakable is like mid-grade earplugs, blocking more roars than regular earplugs but not all of them like HG earplugs. It also lets you recover a lot quicker from attacks and keeps you from flopping around like a dead fish when hit underwater. The small wind and current resistance (but not tremor resistance) are less useful. It's a handy skill, but something you can gem in using decorations made from Miralis parts.

The armor itself doesn't offer any sharpness boosters, so it's best for weapons with natural sharpness +1 (like Lucent Nargacuga ones). But as mentioned, some of his weapons are the best flame ones in their class, like the Willuminator and Rysurrection.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Unshakable is like mid-grade earplugs, blocking more roars than regular earplugs but not all of them like HG earplugs. It also lets you recover a lot quicker from attacks and keeps you from flopping around like a dead fish when hit underwater. The small wind and current resistance (but not tremor resistance) are less useful. It's a handy skill, but something you can gem in using decorations made from Miralis parts.
Oh, it's not Tremor Res? Hmm that's too bad. I love this, it's great against Diablos and Jho when they're being so annoying.
Well thanks for the info, it seems like the skills aren't quite as OP as I thought but still very good. Considering the armour still...

The armor itself doesn't offer any sharpness boosters, so it's best for weapons with natural sharpness +1 (like Lucent Nargacuga ones). But as mentioned, some of his weapons are the best flame ones in their class, like the Willuminator and Rysurrection.
I'm not sure if I want a flame weapon that badly, though. My spectral demolishers seem to be suited to almost any monster by now, though I could be proven wrong eventually.

Anura

Oh, it's not Tremor Res? Hmm that's too bad. I love this, it's great against Diablos and Jho when they're being so annoying.
Well thanks for the info, it seems like the skills aren't quite as OP as I thought but still very good. Considering the armour still...

I'm not sure if I want a flame weapon that badly, though. My spectral demolishers seem to be suited to almost any monster by now, though I could be proven wrong eventually.

Nah, it's still super OP. It's pretty much a 10 point HG earplug (ok, almost HG) but it's also found on so many great sets, making mixing it a breeze. It's on almost every one of my Melee sets

tuffy

I should be able to help out for a bit.

And I've discovered it is actually possible to kill Village Jhen with the Plesioth HBG and Volvidon S set available at the 7 star Village quest level, but it's a bit of a nail-biter that doesn't leave much time to spare.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sorry about that had a brief power outage.

EDIT: Remade the room with the same credentials if anyone is interested.

Haunted

Hey guys, who's up for some good ol' fashioned monster hun-
Monday is Hallowed Jhen day.
Simpsons-walk-in-walk-out-whistling.gif

tuffy

Fun hunts tonight, still need to kill more Diablos. Always more Hardhorn.

Monday is Hallowed Jhen day.
Raging Diablos gives me a hard time to this day; gonna need to whip up some sets with a bit more evasion, perhaps.

But Jhen I can deal with.

tuffy

Before Deviljho there was Devilblos. I'm not sure which is more annoying. I think I might hand it to blos actually.
I'd much rather deal with Deviljho than a raging 'Blos. Apparently the charge hitboxes are much better this time around, but the homing charges, triple charges and underground launches don't leave much margin for error.

Anura

I'd much rather deal with Deviljho than a raging 'Blos. Apparently the charge hitboxes are much better this time around, but the homing charges, triple charges and underground launches don't leave much margin for error.

It was more than just hitboxes that made old Blos an asshole. At low HP it will enter into rage mode after 1 hit and MHFU Blos would pretty much charge and dig literally non-stop in rage mode. It also doesn't help that it can't be killed while in the digging and pop-out animation from start to end...

Pila

I really don't know why I played this game for 400+ hours before giving Arena a try, it's pretty funny and I'm having a good time with it.

Yesterday I did the Narga solo hunt, I picked the dual blades. Fight took 15 minutes, didn't get the best score. =(

Anura

I really don't know why I played this game for 400+ hours before giving Arena a try, it's pretty funny and I'm having a good time with it.

Yesterday I did the Narga solo hunt, I picked the dual blades. Fight took 15 minutes, didn't get the best score. =(

I got around 6 minutes with the DS I think. Even that is just an OK score

Mephala

It was more than just hitboxes that made old Blos an asshole. At low HP it will enter into rage mode after 1 hit and MHFU Blos would pretty much charge and dig literally non-stop in rage mode. It also doesn't help that it can't be killed while in the digging and pop-out animation from start to end...

The sheer size of some of the G-Rank ones in MHFU is stupid as well. I pretty much gave up going for the tails since the GS can't even reach the thing and the moments I can reach it with the overhead it is likely I won't get decent damage and won't get away if he decides to spin.
And who decided to give it the ability to make you dizzy by roaring repeatedly? I mean, when it is enraged, it can get across the map well before you finished covering your hears. Roaring another 4 times after catching you with the first roar to make you dizzy is just overkill.

Actually... I feel that there are a lot of really asshole monsters in MHFU compared to MH3U. The three smaller Elderdragon's auras were annoying. Rajang is a big bully. Kirin hops around too much. Don't even get me started on that dual black gravios in the arena bullshit.

Oh and screw Chameleos. Wherever it is.

upandaway

Arena's great. I don't know why they never give out more arena quests, there's always so little.

If I had it my way I'd have as many arena quests as there are normal quests and with all weapon types for each

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I've been considering entering the fine world of cheese hax with the kelbi bow and I wonder if I'm better getting Helios or biting the bullet and fighting a million Gigginox's instead.

Anura

The sheer size of some of the G-Rank ones in MHFU is stupid as well. I pretty much gave up going for the tails since the GS can't even reach the thing and the moments I can reach it with the overhead it is likely I won't get decent damage and won't get away if he decides to spin.
And who decided to give it the ability to make you dizzy by roaring repeatedly? I mean, when it is enraged, it can get across the map well before you finished covering your hears. Roaring another 4 times after catching you with the first roar to make you dizzy is just overkill.

Actually... I feel that there are a lot of really asshole monsters in MHFU compared to MH3U. The three smaller Elderdragon's auras were annoying. Rajang is a big bully. Kirin hops around too much. Don't even get me started on that dual black gravios in the arena bullshit.

Oh and screw Chameleos. Wherever it is.

I'm telling you, that chammy strat works wonders! Rajang isn't that bad once you realize his legs are crazy safe but dang he still hits hard... I totally agree with Blos and Gravios though. Even though I think blos is kinda fun in Gen 3 Shame Gravi still sucks in gen 4

tuffy

So I've been considering entering the fine world of cheese hax with the kelbi bow and I wonder if I'm better getting Helios or biting the bullet and fighting a million Gigginox's instead.
The only thing I use Kelbi for is Alatreon, and I don't like Giggi's set for that because it's so weak to flame; one missed roll against that big fireball and you're on the cart. So I built a custom mixed set for that purpose that offers a all the evasion skills along with Awaken and Bombardier.

Anura

I personally like the normal Lagi armor for kelbi bowing. Remember, charging you shots will kill faster IF you can keep a good lock in the weak points.

Mephala

I'm telling you, that chammy strat works wonders! Rajang isn't that bad once you realize his legs are crazy safe but dang he still hits hard... I totally agree with Blos and Gravios though. Even though I think blos is kinda fun in Gen 3 Shame Gravi still sucks in gen 4

What chammy strat? All I know is that chammy is laughing somewhere, probably close by to taunt me and he has a stash of my potions and other suppies. :(

You know, its fun thinking back on it now but I remember being quite frustrated with a lot of the monsters at times. All monsters get easier with experience but I don't think anything is as frightening as Rajang for me as a newbie. You are right in saying he gets easier and I agree after I've slain over 50 of them but the first few were terrifying and the later ones are still somewhat intimidating. Deviljho felt kind of tame by comparison to me. Perhaps because he is bigger so there is more areas to hit but I felt a lot more intimidated trying to approach Rajang.

One day, Capcom will allow you to fight Smarter monsters who team up. Rajang riding a Deviljho into battle. GG hunters. Until then.
aeK03z.gif

The notes say Deviljho hunts smaller species to extinction. I wonder which monsters are actually above him in the food chain.

A lot of monsters in 3rd gen are much better than 2nd gen though. And I'm not just speaking of hitboxes (Plesioth...). Agnaktor is so much better than Gravios. First of all they are easier. Their beams are also not as bullshit and they don't spam them as much. Their movesets are also a lot more interesting. The *clack clack clack clack* is also fantastic. :D
Can't say I'm looking forward to Gravios coming back.
AkVlk9.gif

I always like this cartoon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, lucent nargacuga is some bullshit. We won but I think I had like 1 potion left... xD That wasn't really fun, more irritating than anything else.

Mephala

Wow, lucent nargacuga is some bullshit. We won but I think I had like 1 potion left... xD That wasn't really fun, more irritating than anything else.

Really? I didn't think he was too bad, I just kept forgetting his tail shoots stuff so I kept getting poisoned. I've only killed 2 though.

Anura

What chammy strat? All I know is that chammy is laughing somewhere, probably close by to taunt me and he has a stash of my potions and other suppies. :(

You know, its fun thinking back on it now but I remember being quite frustrated with a lot of the monsters at times. All monsters get easier with experience but I don't think anything is as frightening as Rajang for me as a newbie. You are right in saying he gets easier and I agree after I've slain over 50 of them but the first few were terrifying and the later ones are still somewhat intimidating. Deviljho felt kind of tame by comparison to me. Perhaps because he is bigger so there is more areas to hit but I felt a lot more intimidated trying to approach Rajang.

One day, Capcom will allow you to fight Smarter monsters who team up. Rajang riding a Deviljho into battle. GG hunters. Until then.
aeK03z.gif

The notes say Deviljho hunts smaller species to extinction. I wonder which monsters are actually above him in the food chain.

A lot of monsters in 3rd gen are much better than 2nd gen though. And I'm not just speaking of hitboxes (Plesioth...). Agnaktor is so much better than Gravios. First of all they are easier. Their beams are also not as bullshit and they don't spam them as much. Their movesets are also a lot more interesting. The *clack clack clack clack* is also fantastic. :D
Can't say I'm looking forward to Gravios coming back.
AkVlk9.gif

I always like this cartoon.

This one:
Forge the G&D Rath DS, get some mega juice, get a set with Razor Sharp + Shapness +1 and demon dance on legs

It's simple, easy and only takes 20 minutes solo at most.

Mephala

This one:

Ooooh. I thought we were talking about Lucent naga there. It isn't so much that I can't kill Chammy, its more he does this thing where he steps back, camouflages then disappears for 5-10 minutes. :\
I can't really remember which weapons I used on Chammy the most. I think I used just about all over of them and never really settled for any. I do remember using some flame DS but I also remember wanting to save my mega juices for other hunts. >.>

Speaking of mega juices, where do you guys get the items for them from in this one? Does the Granny occasionally sell them or something?

tuffy

Speaking of mega juices, where do you guys get the items for them from in this one? Does the Granny occasionally sell them or something?
Unless Purple Ludroth turns up in Moga at night so you can get them outright, you'll need to combine Well-Done Steaks and Dash Extracts for them. But there's no automated way to get a bunch of Well-Done Steaks, so you'll need to cook those. And Granny doesn't sell Dash Extracts, so you'll need to farm a bunch of low rank Royal Ludroths for those too.

It's enough of a hassle that people turn to item duplication in order to stockpile them.

Mephala

Unless Purple Ludroth turns up in Moga at night so you can get them outright, you'll need to combine Well-Done Steaks and Dash Extracts for them. But there's no automated way to get a bunch of Well-Done Steaks, so you'll need to cook those. And Granny doesn't sell Dash Extracts, so you'll need to farm a bunch of low rank Royal Ludroths for those too.

It's enough of a hassle that people turn to item duplication in order to stockpile them.

You can item dupe? No... no... Don't tempt me! D:

tuffy

You can item dupe? No... no... Don't tempt me! D:
You can, but only items that are tradeable with other hunters (which aren't many), and you'll need a friend to do it, and you may be guessing where this is going already.

Hunter A gives items to Hunter B. Then Hunter A quits without saving, thus preserving his/her items. Hunter B keeps the accepted ones.

Mephala

The one time I fought Lucent no one told me it poisoned...

Man, that sucks. When I went in I asked if I needed anything and I think Anura told me to bring Antidotes. I think I used all of them. The second time I went in... Well, at least the poison ticks slowly.

Top Bottom