• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Shurayuki

How do you jump in new a monsters back?

If you don't have a weapon with a jump attack you'll have to get to a place that's higher than the monster (a ledge will do). Then I do a roll of it to go into a jump and then press attack.
You can also climp up somewhere and jump off with B and then attack.
Slow, jumping off is B though ;P

Shurayuki

Really? B is to jump up for me, A to jump off of the wall. Maybe I've messed with control options without realizing...

Ah you can do that too, neutral B just lets go and you fall straight down, guess you'll want to use one or the other depending on where the monster is.

Shurayuki

Can you disable 3D completely in the options, like in MH3U? This improved the framerate, afair.

And what framerate do you want to increase here? o_O
Not AFAIK. They should make it possible to mute Felynes though, not being able to use them when playing with 2 players is annoying.

la_briola

And what framerate do you want to increase here? o_O
Not AFAIK. They should make it possible to mute Felynes though, not being able to use them when playing with 2 players is annoying.

You are right, its smooth at butter... for now. I only played alone and saw a G.Jaggi.

Yes, felynes are fucking annoying! :lol

Ken

Yah sorry I wasn't more clear, was the last thing I did before going to bed.

Maybe my views are skewed a bit by being lategame, which changes a bit about the effectiveness of things, but here's some more thoughts on the staff.

Marking shot does some damage and the insect can do some things of its own, but really the most damage needs to come from you hitting the monster imo, I noticed I kill faster the more I just whack the monsters. The buffs are nice, especially attack (+white), but I don't worry too much about them. If you give the insect an element attack (or poison if you're not using that rod at the moment) I guess it can make it more effective in selected fights. Also I need to do way less vault attacks, the free-whacking you hopefully get from it is nice, but again, I kill faster if I do only a few of them (1-3), feels more suited for multiplayer.

You can send out your insect mid-combo anyways, which is what I do a lot.
If you press R mid-combo you do a "marking strike" rather than a shot, worth noting. Can make it easier to mark small targets like a small head or thin tail.

If you use your insect from a distance a lot giving it +speed might be nice (I wanted that just for the butterfly), otherwise I'd assume power might be the goto thing, although I usually end up feeling wrong so stamina might be best *laughs*.

Another maneuver that I didn't really get from the tutorial/hunter's notes (fuck the blurry font) is the backflip (back+A), which you can use to get out of trouble or position yourself to continue a combo and/or set up a vault attack (R+B). This wiki has the full attack instructions for all weapons.

Also a thing that had thrown me off was Capcoms comment about the staff doing Impact&Cut damage, never figured that out until now, I figured the vault attack was what did the cutting because of the "slice" that appears haha. So if you're not as unattentive as I am, you might have noticed that Rods come in with two types of insects (drones), cutting damage and impact damage. The first two Rods
(Bone and...Sneak i guess? )
have a drone with Impact damage, the next two
(Aim of Trick and Solid Glaive)
do cutting damage.

Hm so basically marking is pointless because the insect is only dependent on where you aim then? Like, if you hit the monster's legs with a mark, but shoot your insect at the head, the insect gets the head buff but not the leg right? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something here.

Shurayuki

Hm so basically marking is pointless because the insect is only dependent on where you aim then? Like, if you hit the monster's legs with a mark, but shoot your insect at the head, the insect gets the head buff but not the leg right? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something here.

Wait what? No marking is great The insect will fly out in the direction you are facing, but then it will beeline to where you marked the monster. You're just not guaranteed to hit that spot because the monster is a moving target and the insect will extract whatever body part it hits first. Not shooting it straight forward is good sometimes because if you want to get something from the backside of a monster that is facing you, you then have a bigger chance of making it there.
That's why shooting it out mid-combo is great, you know exactly what you'll get.
If it took something you didn't want you can also immediately send it again before it returns to you.

God I'm losing my mind trying to farm Kabura, where is everyone!

Mupod

The gargwa/gagua mask is in MH3U. It was literally the first thing I made upon hitting high rank and became my uniform for playing with newbies.

It changes a bunch of your character's voice samples like for running and stuff. It's incredible.

Shurayuki

Lol come on, server maintenance RIGHT in the right moment...*eyesroll*

Well thanks anyway anura :eek:
I'll see myself up to Goa then and we'll take him later or some other time.

Edit after your edit: well actually I guess I'll try to figure out what the other 2 mats are for my thing, haven't played 5Star at all x.x
Oh i was looking at the wrong thing, it was ガブラ not カブラ, c'mon game!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I get back to Osaka tonight, ill update the OP with everything soon. Thanks for holding down the fort guys

Shurayuki

Finally got this darn Kabura armor, f**#ing pain in the tail.
Now to get to Goa and then...farm some moa.

having some real life, at least trying too :7

until tomorrow night than...

At this time? Ain't no life out there at this time.

Just finished the story mode, dat music+CG in the end, also loved the drawings on the bottom screen. =)

Insect staff to the face!!

Good good, all according to our play-with-us keikaku.
Insect Staffs UNITE.

Anura

Finally got this darn Kabura armor, f**#ing pain in the tail.
Now to get to Goa and then...farm some moa.

At this time? Ain't no life out there at this time.

Good good, all according to our play-with-us keikaku.
Insect Staffs UNITE.

The servers seem to be back up, you up for some hunts?

Zenaku

And here I only need 1 Goa horn to finish a set with Sharpness+1. Won't be much use in HR guild hall due to low defence, but it'll come in handy replaying through the story quests with different weapons.

I'll be off to story mode if nobody's fighting him multiplayer.

Anura

And here I only need 1 Goa horn to finish a set with Sharpness+1. Won't be much use in HR guild hall due to low defence, but it'll come in handy replaying through the story quests with different weapons.

I'll be off to story mode if nobody's fighting him multiplayer.

We were actually going to do his high rank version lol!

Hey all, just got my copy from Nippon yassan today. If anybody wants to add me my friend code is 2938-7021-0623 and my name is HipHopCat. Happy hunting!

Fistwell

So some of the new monsters are fun. Really like the spider and the snake. Their move set feels interesting and new. Also enjoyed fighting my old nemesis khezu <3, although they gimped him to hell </3 (didnt seem to dish out much damage at all, he also now "sees" you and you can superman-dive). Ian was ok... felt like slipping an old pair of slippers on... wish they'd touched her up more, only saw one new move (a forward lunge).

One minor thing I enjoy is how they've seemingly rebalanced how quickly monster parts break. In 3U, on ian for example, everything would break in the first few minutes of the fight, leaving the rest of it as going for weak point for max damage. Took me a larger portion of the fight to cut her tail, break her face and wings. It's minor, but I like it better, feels like it's keeping me more entertained somehow? (which mainly matters only because ian is so familiar as this point). Fucking hate-hate-hate that they've left ian's female set untouched, so sick of the fluffy skirt.

I like the khezu set though... also, khezu being back means noob-lol-sword devil slicer is back too! Such a good looking blade! ;3

Zenaku

Finally got the quest with
Kirin

Supposedly hard-skinned, so my new Sharpness+1 set should hopefully come in handy.

la_briola

The gargwa/gagua mask is in MH3U. It was literally the first thing I made upon hitting high rank and became my uniform for playing with newbies.

It changes a bunch of your character's voice samples like for running and stuff. It's incredible.
How could I missed that. :<

panda21

I have it!!!!

I got past the quest to make a mega potion and now I'm confused. It seemed to want me to go into the big building, I went in and talked to people and theres some kind of quest desk with blue, yellow and red people.

The person who was giving me quests before outside seems to not have any.

I would guess the building is the online part though? Like the one in MH3U? I don't want to accidentally start taking on HR quests or whatever you call them just yet.

How do I monster hunter?

Ken

I have it!!!!

I got past the quest to make a mega potion and now I'm confused. It seemed to want me to go into the big building, I went in and talked to people and theres some kind of quest desk with blue, yellow and red people.

The person who was giving me quests before outside seems to not have any.

I would guess the building is the online part though? Like the one in MH3U? I don't want to accidentally start taking on HR quests or whatever you call them just yet.

How do I monster hunter?

after you talk to everyone wiht the yellow bubble just run back outside and the girl should have level 2 quests. if not try going to your house and talking to your cat too? i just talked to everyone with yellow bubbles

panda21

after you talk to everyone wiht the yellow bubble just run back outside and the girl should have level 2 quests. if not try going to your house and talking to your cat too? i just talked to everyone with yellow bubbles

ah i thought i had talked to everyone, i'll go check, thanks!

Came back home just in time for some delicious server maintenance! Did we break it!? It's the first Friday night since the game has been released..

(seems to be back up now but I gotta go to sleep)

komaruR

Did u give the leader a mega pot?

la_briola

I *think* I need to fish 5 fish for a HR1 quest. I fished at the base, I fished at Area 10. I have no idea what I need. I used the provided bait. Nothing. HELP!

edit: I I I I I I I :lol

komaruR

I *think* I need to fish 5 fish for a HR1 quest. I fished at the base, I fished at Area 10. I have no idea what I need. I used the provided bait. Nothing. HELP!

edit: I I I I I I I :lol
You need those red skinny fish in the cave. Was it called sushi fish or something in eng?

Sarcasm

In a real self debate here...wife's cousin can lend me his JP 3DS.

1) I have to buy the game (which is fine with me) (does the save go on the cart?)

2) He can take it back..whenever he wants (con)

3) Its not EVEN his..friend lent it to him...like year+ ago

Or buy a NA XL from play-asia + games I want (more than just MH) and wait....

panda21

doing the 2* egg quest, I got the first one, and I moved to area 6 with 2 of the chicken emu things but I can't figure out how to get an egg from them?

If you have a japanese 3DS, just setup an WiFi access point with an SSID called 7SPOT without any security. Connect to it via the 3DS internet settings whenever you want to download the latest items. That's how I'm doing it, because it takes too much time in a 7/11 lol.

Does that really work? I tried it a few times for ACNL but I never got it to work. I want the 7/11 Felyne :/

Tried it for MH4 now, no results. The Nintendo Zone icon won't even flash, and there is no Nanako in the Felyne DL section.

la_briola

doing the 2* egg quest, I got the first one, and I moved to area 6 with 2 of the chicken emu things but I can't figure out how to get an egg from them?

Crouch (B), sneak behind them, uncrouch and kick them (right top corner on the touchscreen). They will startle and drop a normal or golden egg.

Top Bottom