• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Sarcasm

why don't you just buy an japanese xl and get ALL the games. not just the few that get an american release? depending on your taste in games, the american model may not even be the best choice anymore. the only sure bet is the japanese model.
(or get a cheap 2ds)

Do you know if animal crossing and such can have their text language in English?

Mh4 no English required :)

well it's 5 am, my eyes are tired, I think I can allow myself to hit the wrong button once in while :p

lol, absolutely. It was closing in on 5:00AM for me as well, and that's my excuse for playing progressively worse and worse... =D

Don't worry it was also 5AM for me + I'm trying to be better at the Charge Axe.

It was fun playing with you two!

Oh yeah before I joined you two I stumbled upon a random room and they let me participate in an event (I guess) quest beginning with MonHan Club. I want that quest now, the few pieces that were added in the crafting list were cool looking. I just don't know where they got that one :/
edit: I'm dumb it's been added in the DL section on the 20th.

chadi

So I just beat village
Kirin
and don't see any other quests available. It says "Cleared" on the list but it's a different color which means it's still not complete. I don't see any text bubbles from any villages either. Anyone know how to unlock the rest of the quests? I'm on 6* btw.

Also, in the felyne training area, what are the requirements for you to be able to
pull out the sword stuck on the rock
at the NE section?

Thanks guys in advance.

la_briola

I wanted to make a Gathering +1 decoration. In MH3U it was Aquaglow Jewel and Kelbi Horn.

It seems to be changed.

IMG_20130921_163236.jpg

Which seed am I missing? Looks like Adamant Seed, but that should be 忍耐の種?!

edit : [at first I thought it was a new one but] oh right! it's Pepipopumpkin...chadi is right

One thing I really like is the new way to craft shock traps, by combining the trap mechanism with a Geneposu's Paralyzing Fang. It's easy to acquire so it helps considerably.

chadi

I wanted to make a Gathering +1 decoration. In MH3U it was Aquaglow Jewel and Kelbi Horn.

It seems to be changed.

Which seed am I missing? Looks like Adamant Seed, but that should be 忍耐の種?!

I'm guessing pumpkin since it's also used for crafting the armor that looks like a jack o lantern (Mosgharl?). Lol.

Zenaku

It's a Pepipo Pumpkin, all right. It was only obtainable via streetpass in 3G.

I got a few throughout the game without realizing where I got them, but I just checked the old man, who I'd set to increase some honey for me, and alongside the honey was 2 seperate Pepipo Pumpkins.

If it was only obtainable by streetpassing, it's no wonder I never really saw that name in MH3G...except maybe in the list of ingredients for the sets.

I wish there were lots of people with MH4 and even 3DSes in my country, because I lose quite a bit of content by having no one around. And I don't really like that.

Zenaku

I haven't seen any streetpass-locked content in MH4 yet though. Everything that you can do via street passing seems to be doable via playing online with others (exchanging cards, sending their characters on quests for basic supplies, receiving guild quests, etc).

I love street passing, so I'd love to street pass someone playing MH4, but it doesn't seem to be really necessary this time around.

la_briola

It's a Pepipo Pumpkin, all right. It was only obtainable via streetpass in 3G.

I got a few throughout the game without realizing where I got them, but I just checked the old man, who I'd set to increase some honey for me, and alongside the honey was 2 seperate Pepipo Pumpkins.
How does the old man (with the key?) works exactly? He can trade items? Is he the farm?

Edit: OK he seems to be the farm

Zenaku

How does the old man (with the key?) works exactly? He can trade items? Is he the farm?

Both, yes. You can trade certain materials for others, trade points for various materials, or use points to have him increase items (same as 3G's farm).

So I just beat village
Kirin
and don't see any other quests available. It says "Cleared" on the list but it's a different color which means it's still not complete. I don't see any text bubbles from any villages either. Anyone know how to unlock the rest of the quests? I'm on 6* btw.

Also, in the felyne training area, what are the requirements for you to be able to
pull out the sword stuck on the rock
at the NE section?

Thanks guys in advance.
Some 6* quests are only available when you reach a specific HR in the guild hall. HR's 4, 5 and 7 unlock various quests.

No idea about the second.

chadi

Both, yes. You can trade certain materials for others, trade points for various materials, or use points to have him increase items (same as 3G's farm).

Some 6* quests are only available when you reach a specific HR in the guild hall. HR's 4, 5 and 7 unlock various quests.

No idea about the second.

Thanks. Looks like it's time to hit the gathering hall then. Will add everyone on page 1. Here's my friend code in case anyone wants to hunt sometime: 2879 0832 2007. I'm currently just HR2 though since I just cleared village quests 1-6 (except the ones that needs high HR). ^^;

Edit: Done adding everyone. Whew! :p

Fistwell

I see Komaru online, but his room is full. Anyone else? I've opened a room, fee free to join.

So actually Komaru joined, so it's 2 of us now. Still room for more!

Zornica

Banned
so... if the expedition mode says:

お宝エリア なし
but
入手装備傾向 something_something

does that mean I can still get whatever is listed? or is it just what I would get if there was a treassure room?

Shurayuki

so... if the expedition mode says:

does that mean I can still get whatever is listed? or is it just what I would get if there was a treassure room?

Yeah I think so, after all you can still get weapons from mining, it's just that you're guaranteed stuff with a treasure zone.

Ken

Wait what? No marking is great The insect will fly out in the direction you are facing, but then it will beeline to where you marked the monster. You're just not guaranteed to hit that spot because the monster is a moving target and the insect will extract whatever body part it hits first. Not shooting it straight forward is good sometimes because if you want to get something from the backside of a monster that is facing you, you then have a bigger chance of making it there.
That's why shooting it out mid-combo is great, you know exactly what you'll get.
If it took something you didn't want you can also immediately send it again before it returns to you.

God I'm losing my mind trying to farm Kabura, where is everyone!

Is there a special combo that includes a shot during it?

Shurayuki

Is there a special combo that includes a shot during it?

A special combo, no not really. R after any attack will do a marking strike, instead of a shot. You can use that in combos at your own discretion. I don't really use it much.
Using your insect while comboing, well that's at your own discretion too, if for whatever reason the monster is down (enough foot dmg, down after climb attack etc) you might as well add a little dmg by shooting it, but that's all very improv. Normally you're probably better off chaining another damage move or dodging or whatever.
(you can jump back with Back+A or B+A to combo better or get a vault attack in or shoot your insect or bail etc, that can be neat)

|
Haha probably, I think it doesn't scale that well, use it to get the colors and the maybe whatever your insect is goot at (cutting insect - tail, impact insect - head for stun), maybe if it's using an attack that means you can't approach, but the more you attack with your staff the faster the quest will likely go. At least from my experience.
If you power up your insects with only Power it might be more useful for damage later.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh man that HR3 urgent quest was killer. But friend and I managed to take the bastard down. We both got pissed off and brought traps and lots of bombs lol

Should have made the ケロロ fake helmet too to up the explosive power. Ill try doing that by myself later on.

Wonder if the game still has the cat suit? Used to use that in Frontier so much when we would go on bomb troll runs with bows lol

So I need help with something if possible. Can someone translate what the third item on this list is? Apparently it's really rare because I've not gotten one in about 10 fights with Goa Magara:

gore1.png

I need 1 to complete my set and also a few more for some weapons, lol it's driving me crazy. :p Thanks in advance!

Anura

So I need help with something if possible. Can someone translate what the third item on this list is? Apparently it's really rare because I've not gotten one in about 10 fights with Goa Magara:

gore1.png

I need 1 to complete my set and also a few more for some weapons, lol it's driving me crazy. :p Thanks in advance!

One of those is a plate

It's odd how this wasn't titled Monster Hunter 4 Quad, everyone would've expected that, maybe it was due to the logo change and they just ended that trend.

Also, anyone have a clear answer if they stuck with a smooth 30 frames or 60 frames? Does 3D change the framerate? IMO they should make it a locked 30 in 3D and 60 in 2D ala SSFIV3D.

Zornica

Banned
It's odd how this wasn't titled Monster Hunter 4 Quad, everyone would've expected that, maybe it was due to the logo change and they just ended that trend.

Also, anyone have a clear answer if they stuck with a smooth 30 frames or 60 frames? Does 3D change the framerate? IMO they should make it a locked 30 in 3D and 60 in 2D ala SSFIV3D.

the framerate is somewhere between 45 and 60 in 2d and 3d. 2d adds AA.
and no, they shouldn't lock it at 30.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

gore1.png

hahahaha its the one part everyone whos played MH loves. The mother fucking gekirin... D:

Ken

can someone explain charge axe?

attack a lot in sns mode to build charge and then swap to axe mode and AAAAA?

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
can someone explain charge axe?

attack a lot in sns mode to build charge and then swap to axe mode and AAAAA?

For the most part, yeah. Although, I tend to charge my axe fully, store it, and then charge it fully again. Then when the monster hits rage mode, I won't have to worry as much about landing those SnS hits, and instead focus on Axe mode.

Ken

For the most part, yeah. Although, I tend to charge my axe fully, store it, and then charge it fully again. Then when the monster hits rage mode, I won't have to worry as much about landing those SnS hits, and instead focus on Axe mode.

You can...over store charges? I'm not following.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
You can...over store charges? I'm not following.

When you attack in SnS mode and it glows yellow or red, you can store the charge. But if you don't, it doesn't go away. What I'm doing is: Attack to get it up to red, store the charge, and begin attacking and building up to red again. When I switch to axe mode and exhaust all my stored charges, I can go back to SnS mode to instantly store more charges, because I had already built it up to red before.

Ken

When you attack in SnS mode and it glows yellow or red, you can store the charge. But if you don't, it doesn't go away. What I'm doing is: Attack to get it up to red, store the charge, and begin attacking and building up to red again. When I switch to axe mode and exhaust all my stored charges, I can go back to SnS mode to instantly store more charges, because I had already built it up to red before.

is storing the charge a button? what's the diff between yellow and red?

Zenaku

I love the charge axes charges, especially if you can get the main hit; I just love the way it explodes all over the monster. It's kind of like slime element in a way.

The ability to stun them if you hit their heads a few times is also a plus. I generally wait until the monster is either down or still from exhaustion before using my charges.

EDIT: Just using a bow, I've only just noticed something new (at least, I don't remember this in 3G); pressing A immediately after firing will fire an extra arrow.

Hedge

Wait, so they didn't make it easier to get plates and such from monsters? Could have sworn I read that somewhere that they did.

squall23

After watching quite a few MH4 streams, I realize how BS the Goa Magara TGS event is. 15 minutes with some initial versions of each weapon?! How is that even close to possible?!

FlyFaster

just been sadly lurking.

I really wish I would have paid more attention during Japanese in high school.

Would love to know about the following bit, very curious about this:

How is the jump and grab mechanic? Doesn't it feel natural in implementation? Is it powerful? Like, if given the chance should you use it instead of attacking?

continues sadly lurking

hahahaha its the one part everyone whos played MH loves. The mother fucking gekirin... D:

Lol usually I get at least one after fighting a monster X amount of times, this one monster isn't having it though. I have been capturing and killing him, usually break his horns and cut his tail off, other parts too, I have a feeling I will get one tomorrow! (fingers crossed :p)

Garou

So when I jump on a monster I mash X as fast as possible, but when am I supposed to hammer R? When he starts to rage? From the beginning? And should I press X and R at the same time or only R?

I have a rather low efficieny rate in scoring downs with this, but afaik it is also monster-related?

Top Bottom