• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Man, I wish I had that amount of time like some of you seem to have :(. I'm still at HR1 Quest, but almost done with those.

On a side note, I've noticed MH4 (eShop version) needs really a exeptionally long time to boot up. Considering the tiny eShop update on launch day, I guess this is the first 3DS release with proper anti piracy protection.

Nisa65

Anyone get their downloadable content from 7-11 yet? I assume you need to open the Nintendo Zone thing to get the items.

Got my first street pass today but I've got no idea what exactly you use them for. I assume the system is somewhat similar to that of Tri G where you send the hunters off to fetch carves from the monsters.

Oh man oh man oh man, my game is now in my hands!! Shame I need to do shopping for the week's meals or I would've started in earnest right now. See you lot in a few hours.

Tenbatsu

NOTICE FOR GAFFERS PURCHASING FROM NIPPON YASAN:

Please choose FEDEX whenever you purchase anything from them as they just replied me saying that my bundle was using EMS hence my order was not of priority. Even if I am the first to place the order, it will still be shipped after all the Fedex orders. I was not notify of this clause during my checkout which kinda pissed me off.

la_briola

Please choose FEDEX whenever you purchase anything from them as they just replied me saying that my bundle was using EMS hence my order was not of priority. Even if I am the first to place the order, it will still be shipped after all the Fedex orders. I was not notify of this clause during my checkout which kinda pissed me off.

If you order with EMS, the 3DS will probably not leave the country with its battery. Japan has a export restrictions on batteries. (AFAIK)

Some people in this thread also suggested to use Fedex and nippon-yasan also state this:
nippon-yasan.com said:
Choose Fedex to ship with Lithium Batteries without problem!

panda21

i feel your pain ^^^^

I discovered that my physical copy is being shipped by EMS and that means it will be held by the delivery service while they send me a letter in the regular post asking me to pay the customs fees before they will release the package and deliver it to me...

plus my alternate plan to buy eshop monies has been foiled by japan-codes.com being super slow sending them out.. and now i won't get a chance to play until thursday morning at the earliest. i should have done more research before i ordered the code :( its like the capcgods don't want me to have moho4

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
If you order with EMS, the 3DS will probably not leave the country with its battery. Japan has a export restrictions on batteries. (AFAIK)

Some people in this thread also suggested to use Fedex and nippon-yasan also state this:

Yeah I can confirm the Japan Postal Service restrictions on Lithium Batteries.

Fistwell

Hot damn. Wasn't aware importing from Japan was such a minefield. Glad my stuff got over here smoothly (in spite of my not knowing what the fuck I'm doing). Had chosen FEDEX as well, because... reasons. Guess I lucked out. Sorry to read some of you guys are having so much trouble.

komaruR

can you do all the content offline or are there stuff you can only get online? i forget.
Yes you can play all content offline. Its the same as those psp version, where you can solo with cats in guildhall. Tho online is free, why not do it?

How is the tutorial in this game compared to the one in Tri/3G? That long unskippable tutorial really made making new characters a pain in the ass.
the tutorial here is long and painful for me as a veteran mh player. Every new action you take in the 1star village quest prompts a dailogue and those dailogue are slow to display, even tho you kept pressing button in hope to skip.

I always use fedex when ordering from playasia. They usually ship on release day and fedex could get it to me within 24hrs in the US. The problem this time was that it was released on saturday, so fedex dont work on Saturday night...

Parakeetman

Hot damn. Wasn't aware importing from Japan was such a minefield. Glad my stuff got over here smoothly (in spite of my not knowing what the fuck I'm doing). Had chosen FEDEX as well, because... reasons. Guess I lucked out. Sorry to read some of you guys are having so much trouble.

Its generally like this across the board when postal service is used and these items. As a consumer when importing from other countries its generally a good idea to do a quick search of the import / export laws in relation to your product. Those few minutes spent can save $$$ lost with not sent or confiscated packages.

Tenbatsu

Actually I bought my MH3G limited 3DS from them too, shipped via EMS with no problem at all. Maybe I will ask them to change my shipment to FEDEX instead.

komaruR

For me when shipping with postal or ems, the longest time is not the shipping service but the us custom inspection... takes days or week to get it to usps in the states. Thus why I choose fedex, as they bypass customs for me.

Parakeetman

For me when shipping with postal or ems, the longest time is not the shipping service but the us custom inspection... takes days or week to get it to usps in the states. Thus why I choose fedex, as they bypass customs for me.

Stop ordering hentai perhaps? I kid, I kid. :D

One odd thing is just seems to be a bit random as I usually send various things to the US or other countries for that matter and generally using EMS seems to get there just fine or pretty fast.

Really do think it depends on where / what you are sending more than the service itself. Plus a lot of the times if you use something like Fed EX you wind up paying as much as or more as said product trying to ship.

I only use them if its something really high profile in cost.

Fistwell

Its generally like this across the board when postal service is used and these items. As a consumer when importing from other countries its generally a good idea to do a quick search of the import / export laws in relation to your product. Those few minutes spent can save $$$ lost with not sent or confiscated packages.
Aint nobody got time for dis!
But, more seriously, I'm only used to "importing" stuff from either the US, or from within the EU over to Switzerland, in which case the worst that's happened to me was having to pay some import taxes to the delivery man (or receiving a bill for it in the mail). Didn't realize my package could've been held in customs!!

Akainu

I've seen a few fights with the monster that puts rocks in it's mouth. Does it do anything with them? I've seen the attack where it smashes into the ground, but sometime it just leaves a boulder sitting there. Does it ever launch it at someone?

Parakeetman

Aint nobody got time for dis!
But, more seriously, I'm only used to "importing" stuff from either the US, or from within the EU over to Switzerland, in which case the worst that's happened to me was having to pay some import taxes to the delivery man (or receiving a bill for it in the mail). Didn't realize my package could've been held in customs!!

I only really took it more seriously after doing some work with international trade and such. It is a pain in the ass to follow as its constantly changing too as technology does. Or due to some "terrorist" fucking shit up for the rest of us with their latest antics. Then parcel services having a knee-jerk reaction. Similar to like liquids on a plane... :/

I've seen a few fights with the monster that puts rocks in it's mouth. Does it do anything with them? I've seen the attack where it smashes into the ground, but sometime it just leaves a boulder sitting there. Does it ever launch it at someone?

It digs up a huge one to block your view. Large boulder also falls before despawning doing huge damage if it connects. The smaller boulder it crushes with its jaw sending secondary missiles in a wide arc. So generally stay away from the front of it when it has the little boulder in its mouth.

Behind the large boulder it either spits stuff from behind it, jumps over it, lunges at the player who are at the sides. Are 3 patterns Ive seen so far. I had no idea the large rock did damage when it despawns (sinks) into the ground as it semi falls over. The thing almost killed me when it first happened. Learned to stay away ever since.

Shurayuki

Does that really work? I tried it a few times for ACNL but I never got it to work. I want the 7/11 Felyne :/

I could never get the japanese hotspots to work on my 3DS either, the american work on my japanese 3DS though. Would love to add more stuff to my MonHan :(

On a side note, I've noticed MH4 (eShop version) needs really a exeptionally long time to boot up. Considering the tiny eShop update on launch day, I guess this is the first 3DS release with proper anti piracy protection.

Huh, never really paid attention to that, but I also only booted it up twice. Just never even close MH4 then, it doesn't want you to!

So what is it like a bigger version of that black one?

Here's what it reminded me of:
Not too long ago there was Godzilla vs Mothra vs Kin Gidorah on TV, and Magara really remings me of Gidorah! After Gidorah died, it was revived as the 10.000 years dragon in an explosion of golden light and looked very much like Magara.
I hope there's a version of it with three heads either in multiplayer, or somewhere in existence/development at Capcom studios, that would be fun.

Ah but EMS shipping should be fine as far as the batteries are concerned. As long as Lithium batteries are actually inside of a device there shouldn't be any trouble shipping those items, no restrictions on that. My 3DS was delivered by EMS, zero problems.

Parakeetman

I could never get the japanese hotspots to work on my 3DS either, the american work on my japanese 3DS though. Would love to add more stuff to my MonHan :(

Huh, never really paid attention to that, but I also only booted it up twice. Just never even close MH4 then, it doesn't want you to!

Here's what it reminded me of:
Not too long ago there was Godzilla vs Mothra vs Kin Gidorah on TV, and Magara really remings me of Gidorah! After Gidorah died, it was revived as the 10.000 years dragon in an explosion of golden light and looked very much like Magara.
I hope there's a version of it with three heads either in multiplayer, or somewhere in existence/development at Capcom studios, that would be fun.

Ah but EMS shipping should be fine as far as the batteries are concerned. As long as Lithium batteries are actually inside of a device there shouldn't be any trouble shipping those items, no restrictions on that. My 3DS was delivered by EMS, zero problems.

It seems to be case by case with if someone goes to a post office personally vs like a business sending it out. As have had times where they didnt want to send something regardless if its encased in the device. Though I looked up the laws and it generally said that such instances were ok, vs. devices where the battery could be removed. Quite unfortunate, but happens when the "message" bout such laws are not properly passed around to all branches and workers at the windows just start to assume things rather than look it up. :/

Akainu

I noticed that the lance had a jump attack from the dash. Do other weapons have attacks like that or is that the only one besides the staff?

Shurayuki

It seems to be case by case with if someone goes to a post office personally vs like a business sending it out. As have had times where they didnt want to send something regardless if its encased in the device. Though I looked up the laws and it generally said that such instances were ok, vs. devices where the battery could be removed. Quite unfortunate, but happens when the "message" bout such laws are not properly passed around to all branches and workers at the windows just start to assume things rather than look it up. :/

Yeah, I read up on it before buying, because I was very afraid they wouldn't ship it, and it did say that the Japanese Post flat out refuses to take Lithium items. I guess what then happens a lot, is that the workers just have it stuck in their head that they don't take the items and won't let you post them, no matter what. Legally it seems they would have to, because as you said there doesn't seem to be any law against it, but arguing with them probably isn't worth it. Better try another worker there or a different post office altogether.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I read up on it before buying, because I was very afraid they wouldn't ship it, and it did say that the Japanese Post flat out refuses to take Lithium items. I guess what then happens a lot, is that the workers just have it stuck in their head that they don't take the items and won't let you post them, no matter what. Legally it seems they would have to, because as you said there doesn't seem to be any law against it, but arguing with them probably isn't worth it. Better try another worker there or a different post office altogether.

Just found a site that offers some views on the matters. But really does seem to be case by case from my own experience.

http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2012/03/how-to-ship-electronics-with-lithium.html

hm staff is fun, charge axe is a little too samey for me. looks cool though

Real unfortunate with how the charge axe works, since the most useful mode the axe mode has too many sweeping motions making it terrible for party play. As hate hitting others or getting hit and try my best to make sure I dont do that.

Ken

Real unfortunate with how the charge axe works, since the most useful mode the axe mode has too many sweeping motions making it terrible for party play. As hate hitting others or getting hit and try my best to make sure I dont do that.

pfft

sounds like perfect weapon for party play

Shurayuki

Any good wikis yet? On Village 3 Star quests and just want a tad bit more info on everything if possible. Thanks!

My collection so far, all in japanese:

This has been updated with a bit more info, has a recommended armor section which may come in handy ~ http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/
A nice FAQ with some locations for important items etc, good when starting out ~ http://trinfo.jp/blog-entry-995.html
This seems to be another pretty good wiki ~ http://wiki.mh4g.org/
This is formatted like a blog, maybe better for mobile devices to read? ~ http://gamers-high.com/mh4/

Just found a site that offers some views on the matters. But really does seem to be case by case from my own experience.

http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2012/03/how-to-ship-electronics-with-lithium.html

Cool thanks, the Japanese Post really seems to be all over the place about this haha.

Personally, I don't mind being hit at all. Though sometimes it is hard to tell if I did a vault attack or was sent flying! I just keep mashing the button to attack and then realize I got a free flight. But staff has such great mobility and a great approach, so really being hit away only serves to produce more vault attacks for me.

komaruR

Funny thing, when I ordered my 3dsll capture from jp I was prepare to not have battery, so I bought one from nintnedo store. Long behold my 3dsll has a battery in it. Now I got a spare.

My collection so far, all in japanese:

This has been updated with a bit more info, has a recommended armor section which may come in handy ~ http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/
A nice FAQ with some locations for important items etc, good when starting out ~ http://trinfo.jp/blog-entry-995.html
This seems to be another pretty good wiki ~ http://wiki.mh4g.org/
This is formatted like a blog, maybe better for mobile devices to read? ~ http://gamers-high.com/mh4/

Thank you very much!

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
I must say, having only played up through the 3 star village quests, I am LOVING the difference in AI for monsters.
Just the fact that they turn around a lot quicker, they focus more on the player than on the Felyne you bring (at least, that's how it feels to me).
It's definitely a major and noticeable difference from the previous installments.

Parakeetman

Oh noes! D: Sorry to who had just jumped into the room its back up but we are in a quest currently so might have to wait a little bit. D:

Shurayuki

Wow the final (I'd guess) egg transport mission is insane.
A virus Rathian and a virus Rathalos, plus having to bring 3 eggs.

Only reason I even went in there was because I got the transporter food effect...

おーおー! タ・マ・GO!
おおおお! タ・マ・GO!

Meesh

I'm still a little annoyed... I chose FedEx but they won't get back to me and I've tried contacting by every means, politely of course. All I wanted to know is if my order was ok. (Black bundle) All is not lost though, the white one did come in today...I just think they should at least acknowledge their customer concerns is all.
Anyways I just wanted to add that I booted up the game and just started questing... So far the screen shots and vids don't do the game justice, I think it looks good and the color palette doesn't bother me in the slightest. Just my opinion, and I own all the portables, but the complaints against the game are probably for the most part coming from disgruntled fanboys.
Edit: Any English faqs to check??? It would probably go a long way in trying to figure the game out as my Japanese is lacking :(

Fistwell

What is the purpose of excavated gear again?
Random loot. Found some armor waaaay beyond what I can craft right now. Except I cant equip it, need to get it appraised... or polished... or whatever they do with it.

I try to think of it as if I had that gear shipped to my box by EMS, and it's now being held in customs.

Sorry.

Edit: right now I have 5 excavated weapons (with a few w/ more dmg than anything I can craft, including a cple of death-metal-guitar looking horns), and 2 pieces of armor. I'd need 3 "special item" to "appraise" any one of these (plus earth crystals, but thats ok). I aint got a single "special item." -_-

Edit2: it seems... the gypceros I was hunting actually legged it? I was chasing his ass back and forth in the woods. Then poo-poof! He's disappeard! Shazzam, bitches!

la_briola

Would someone make a list of some useful kanji? Like Buy/Sell/Delete save game/etc? I can read hiragana fluently, but thats all I got. :lol

edit: I guess its not a problem, if the "button" order didn't change from MH3U. Would apprentice it anyways, thanks!

Fistwell

This guy says you can trade in your excavated gear for the items you need to appraise/polish. Anyone know where you can do that? I've explored all options at the excavated gear guy (and for all NPC in that village actually) but I can't figure it out.

Edit: nevermind, figured it out, it's his 3rd dialog option. He'll only take back already identified gear, and it has to not be equipped (DERP), but he only gives back 2 out of the 3 items needed to appraise. DARN IT.

I just barely won that fight with two of those spiders (sorry don't know its name yet). Phew, that was close. I'm having fun with the game even if I only play in small spurts. I'm not happy how they changed Long Swords Spirit Combo mechanics but it will always be my favorite weapon.

Back to playing!

I did every (?) 2* village quests, I'm now forced to to some expedition quests. I got a guild quest from the first expedition too.
I think I'll farm Great Jaggi or Aruserutasu a bit so I can get a better armor than what I currently have before advancing the story...

Top Bottom