• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Kaji

If anybody is on in 9-10 hours I'm needing a hand with the HR5 Urgent quest for Black Gravios, almost had him last night until some gunner carted 3x in a row...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
how do you do a climbing jump into a monster?

i've done it from cliffs, but not while hanging from a wall

Press A while on the wall to jump off. The jump has a lot of range so if the monster is below you then press B to drop straight down instead.

Kuren

Hi guys I just sent Oichi my friend code and hopefully he or she can add it soon! I look forward to hunting with you guys!

MH4 is a toughie!

Fistwell

Anyone got any tips for earth crystal mining? This is, like, literally, the worst shit in the woooorld. At least in 3U you could go to desert island and keep running around the cave and mining nodes respawned. Still mind-numbingly tedious, but at least more efficient. If they insist on placing equipment behind some such ore barrier for every game, they could at least make the mining of said ore a little more interesting. Is there some mining quest somewhere rewarding you with reasonable quantities of earth crystal? Haven't seen any... then again I dont really read the language too good...

But, yeah, I made epitaph, but I have the ancient LBG, hammer (hammers more like, got 3 or 4 in my box, and had another 2 or 3 which dropped but that I didnt pick up), and lance waiting for me. Monster broth I can live with, it's a little annoying but I can deal, and it doesn't take as long. But 99 earth crystals a pop... that's a little much... especially when my gather tours bring me a mean of about 7 (with a std of roughly 3).

3 x 99 = 297
297 / 7 = 42.42
43 x 5mins = 215mins = 3hrs25min = FUCK THAT SHIT

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Since we are a nice little community now figured might be good if we have one general common courtesy rule set up.

If possible only enter games of folks that you have made an agreement with ahead of time or via the chat, which should be added to the OP later on am guessing.

The reason being is that its to prevent odd situations of one playing with others (non gaf) then suddenly an unknown shows up and everyone is ?!?! lol

Since the game allows ones friends to join regardless of if you are in a room you made yourself with a password or one a friend made that has a password on it.

While its all good when its within GAF members, figured though that there will be times when its not the case and us being a little community now should set some sort of simple guidelines to follow. As the game does not allow us to do that ourselves with settings.

This by no means is directed towards anyone as we all have done it one time or another :)

But do hope that everyone here would agree to this idea of joining other people only when agreed upon before hand via some form of communication.

What say the rest of you?

Anyone got any tips for earth crystal mining? This is, like, literally, the worst shit in the woooorld. At least in 3U you could go to desert island and keep running around the cave and mining nodes respawned. Still mind-numbingly tedious, but at least more efficient. If they insist on placing equipment behind some such ore barrier for every game, they could at least make the mining of said ore a little more interesting. Is there some mining quest somewhere rewarding you with reasonable quantities of earth crystal? Haven't seen any... then again I dont really read the language too good...

But, yeah, I made epitaph, but I have the ancient LBG, hammer (hammers more like, got 3 or 4 in my box, and had another 2 or 3 which dropped but that I didnt pick up), and lance waiting for me. Monster broth I can live with, it's a little annoying but I can deal, and it doesn't take as long. But 99 earth crystals a pop... that's a little much... especially when my gather tours bring me a mean of about 7 (with a std of roughly 3).

3 x 99 = 297
297 / 7 = 42.42
43 x 5mins = 215mins = 3hrs25min = FUCK THAT SHIT

Fest try that quest where you need to mine like 10 of the coal items 燃石炭. Am not sure what the rewards was exactly besides it does give various ore / minerals as a reward.

In the guild quest list its called "燃石炭の納品" Should be a HR 3 quest. Also they say to eat fish + milk for the chance of the cat skill procing which should help with the process. 魚介×乳製品(炒める)get ready for stress though since lots of folks complain that its a bitch to complete solo without the skills that up gathering chances. Run around hitting points 3, 7 and 8 where the digging points will respawn.

Someone else wrote that if you give the old man 垂皮油 there is a chance that he will give you 燃石炭.

Also it seems the Village lv 2 quest 硫黄結晶の納品 gives that 大地の結晶 as part of the reward. So try that too.

Fistwell

Might as well erase 9/10th of my friends list then, very few people check this thread regularly. I guess I should apologize for joining your game that one time, had not realized that was a problem. I'll make sure to avoid doing so in the future. Can't really always tell from memory whose name in-game corresponds to whom, so I'll probably have to start pruning my friends list of people who don't want people joining in.

Fest try that quest where you need to mine like 8? of the coal items 燃石炭. Am not sure what the rewards was exactly besides it does give various ore / minerals as a reward.

In the guild quest list its called "燃石炭の納品" Should be a HR 3 quest. Also they say to eat fish + milk for the chance of the cat skill procing which should help with the process. 魚介×乳製品(炒める)get ready for stress though since lots of folks complain that its a bitch to complete solo without the skills that up gathering chances.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Anyone online?
I should get on in a few hours.

Parakeetman

Might as well erase 9/10th of my friends list then, very few people check this thread regularly. I guess I should apologize for joining your game that one time, had not realized that was a problem. Guess I'll make sure to avoid doing so in the future. Can't really always tell from memory whose name in-game corresponds to whom, so I'll probably have to start pruning my friends list of people who don't want people joining in.

Its all good, since as long as we know ahead of time its not a problem. :) I had thought that if someone else creates a room it only allows their friends to join, which we now know isnt the case. Since up until now its either Ive created a room or joined one of you guys after responding to folks wanting to play here.

Usually when Im on its me having a room up and active so its not as much of an issue.

But once the chat gets added to the OT will be easier to constantly have that thing running to see whos on to do some co-op mayhem and such.

As stated before the idea isnt directed towards a single person. The idea just dawned on me since found out that even if you are in a room made by someone else, that others from ones own friend list can join regardless of PW or not by other party who created a room.

Its not as bad if its a room that we create ourselves, since its expected for friends to jump in then. :)

Whats interesting is the Japanese players are also irritated by the fact that Capcom has made it way too open too and passwords on rooms only work on randoms and not everyone. Its stupid really, since it alienates the whole idea of wanting to add a lot of friends also since folks will want to prevent this sort of incidents now that they know it can happen. Instead of having a setting in there that allows folks to have a lot of friends and regulate it themselves if they want to play online but not have friends without a PW to said room join. Real unfortunate planning from a social standpoint as its working against what they were trying to accomplish. :/ I wonder if 3DS games can even be patched? I dont even remember if I ever had a game that got a patch before lol

Anura

Since we are a nice little community now figured might be good if we have one general common courtesy rule set up.

If possible only enter games of folks that you have made an agreement with ahead of time or via the chat, which should be added to the OP later on am guessing.

The reason being is that its to prevent odd situations of one playing with others (non gaf) then suddenly an unknown shows up and everyone is ?!?! lol

Since the game allows ones friends to join regardless of if you are in a room you made yourself with a password or one a friend made that has a password on it.

While its all good when its within GAF members, figured though that there will be times when its not the case and us being a little community now should set some sort of simple guidelines to follow. As the game does not allow us to do that ourselves with settings.

This by no means is directed towards anyone as we all have done it one time or another :)

But do hope that everyone here would agree to this idea of joining other people only when agreed upon before hand via some form of communication.

Sure I would be happy to oblige.

Might as well erase 9/10th of my friends list then, very few people check this thread regularly. I guess I should apologize for joining your game that one time, had not realized that was a problem. I'll make sure to avoid doing so in the future. Can't really always tell from memory whose name in-game corresponds to whom, so I'll probably have to start pruning my friends list of people who don't want people joining in.

I should get on in a few hours.

Don't worry about wanting to watch football, life calls and that's ok. Do post here when you hop online however

Parakeetman

I found some new Japanese to English translations (monster list, item list, armor skill list and more): http://www.aegil.net/mh4/

Also, Athena released a new version of the Armor Set Search Tool for Monster Hunter 4: http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/7170-athenas-armor-set-search-mh4/

Good stuff hopefully when Oichi has time he can update the OT with all the info folks keep adding. :)

For folks trying to get in contact with me to play or help with upping HR to 5. Since thats where Im stuck at lol send me a PM. Since I might not always be glue to the seat here infront of the PC to have a GAF window open, but any PMs go to my mob which is with me at all times. If am unable to answer right away means that am not able to play. If am usually one should get a response fairly quick! Always happy to help newer players rank up.

Tonight though going to be helping a friend out gather some stuff and try to rank up, so today might not be able to play with fellow gaffers. D:

Parakeetman

I guess I receive coins only by completing some arena matches?

anyone interested? -_-

Yeah coins are just from the arena stuff and the type depends also on what you fight. D: Its why I gave up on the helper armor set lol. Though it makes for good practice haha

panda21

damn i hate zinogre so much

i made the shark charge axe and the metal armour set with thunder resistance and he still wrecks me. the stampy stampy move and the tail slam just destroy me.

Zornica

Banned
Just wondering if this game had circle pad pro compatibility

why wouldn't it? the cpp was basically designed for mohun.

btw, where do I get rusty shards?
4x 太古の破片
1x さびた破片

I got a few but I don't know where I got them.

Thanks to Strudel and Anuras help in the arena, I could finally finish my perfect evasion set:

回避性能+3
回避距離UP
斬れ味レベル+1
砥石使用高速化

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

i made the shark charge axe and the metal armour set with thunder resistance and he still wrecks me. the stampy stampy move and the tail slam just destroy me.
Grab some armor with evasion! The tail slam now always comes after his short headbutt move so when you see that, stop attacking and get ready to roll. The paw stamp is also rollable with some practice.

btw, where do I get rusty shards?
4x 太古の破片
1x さびた破片
From what people are saying online, mining blue ore spots in the free hunt forest (high rank for 太古, low rank for さびた) as well as mining spots in a few hidden starting areas.

haven't tried the axe. Can you block?

blocking is awesome! i love the gunlance!

Kuren

haven't tried the axe. Can you block?

blocking is awesome! i love the gunlance!

Charge axe can block in sword and shield mode. The axe mode is a really simple version of the switch axe axe mode, but with some gun lance ideas. If you like the gun lance, you might really like the charge axe. It's slow, but powerful with explosions, and can switch into sword and shield mode for speed and blocking. Sword and shield mode charges the axe mode explosive bullets, so there's this constant switching between both like the switch axe. It's probably my favourite weapon cause it's so versatile.

komaruR

太古の破片 is so rare >.>
probably better chance at higher lv guildquest

i wanna ask those that got kirin guild quest. did it appear as a kirin rare expedition or you just kill some target monster and kirin was a random quildquest reward at the end?

Fistwell

blocking is awesome!
sonikokaruto
Banned
(Today, 01:45 AM)

Should've dodged. *shrug*

Edit: Daaaaaamn. Did a level 79 shaggy, that thing hit hard. But, why are all shaggy rooms simingly high level guid quests? I mean, it's fun, but I just need some mats.

Edit2: lol dual lvl100 shaggies, suuuuuure.

Edit3: fun cple of hunts perorist. That lvl58 shaggy was much, much more fair than lvl100s. :)
That lvl100 kush just was not gonna happen however, sry (had fun trying though!).

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Sidestep is life, backhop is hometown

That 58 shaggy is already at 64 for me after a few runs lol. I need to grind 80+ for true armor spheres though I think

To get a better chance at non guild quest shaggies set the first field to 上位 when searching and just avoid results labeled ギルドクエスト攻略

Fistwell

Sidestep is life, backhop is hometown

That 58 shaggy is already at 64 for me after a few runs lol. I need to grind 80+ for true armor spheres though I think

To get a better chance at non guild quest shaggies set the first field to 上位 when searching and just avoid results labeled ギルドクエスト攻略
Sweet, thanks for the tip. I'm up for more shaggy shenanigans in a little bit, but it's already pretty late for you.

Kaji

Great hunts tonight/this morning guys.

Big shout out to Festwill and Strudel for the help getting through the HR7 stuff to break the HR ceiling :)

p.s double meteor !

Oichi

sonikokaruto
Banned
(Today, 01:45 AM)

Should've dodged. *shrug*

Edit: Daaaaaamn. Did a level 79 shaggy, that thing hit hard. But, why are all shaggy rooms simingly high level guid quests? I mean, it's fun, but I just need some mats.

Edit2: lol dual lvl100 shaggies, suuuuuure.

Edit3: fun cple of hunts perorist. That lvl58 shaggy was much, much more fair than lvl100s. :)
That lvl100 kush just was not gonna happen however, sry (had fun trying though!).

Be careful with those guild quests, a lot of people are hacking their saves and those quests, and they can actually screw up your save data. Anything that's at level 100 or have two end-game monsters should be avoided.

Fistwell

So were you able to find more of those earth crystals you wanted?
Some, thanks.

Great hunts tonight/this morning guys.

Big shout out to Festwill and Strudel for the help getting through the HR7 stuff to break the HR ceiling :)

p.s double meteor !
Glad to help! :)

Be careful with those guild quests, a lot of people are hacking their saves and those quests, and they can actually screw up your save data. Anything that's at level 100 or have two end-game monsters should be avoided.
Yeah, joined a lvl100 dual shaggy... bailed when I saw what was going on.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hm interesting about the hacked quests. I had heard about it for monsters that start in the starting area and can't attack/move, didn't know dual/100 quests were possibly illegitimate too.

So far I've gotten 3 guild quests from JP players, two of them seem legit at around 60, one is a 100 Kushala. Deleted it earlier today and my save seems to fine so far.

Parakeetman

Oi are you serious? That sucks. D: Thank god Im not high rank enough to do any of the weird looking ones.

Did manage to find a player thats lv 100 though :eek:

Oichi

BWdSYkWCEAAiA5i.jpg

Just unlocked the final village quest.

The real Monster Hunter begins. Eep. :/

Edit:

And with only 3 minutes to spare, done on the first try!

Zornica

Banned
BWdSYkWCEAAiA5i.jpg

Just unlocked the final village quest.

The real Monster Hunter begins. Eep. :/

I'm pretty sure I'll never try that one.

zinogre and super sayan rajang at the same time followed by single shaggy?
Or do you fight them all separate? Either way, I'd probably not have the patients for a fight like this.

congratulations!

edit: by the way, whats your setup? looks like a charge axe and blue los armor? can't tell which axe it is though

Top Bottom