• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hello hunters,

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is anyone playing this on 2DS? I'm tempted by the lower price tag, but not sure if a second-hand 3DS (XL) would be a sounder investment.

2. Any news on a localised release? If not, are English patches for the 2/3DS a possibility?

3. If an English version ever does come out, what are the chances it'll be compatible with the JP version?

Basically I have a good friend (been hunting with him for years) who's desperate to get this at some point. I would happily take the plunge and get the console with him, but would feel bad if he was restricted by Japanese region lock.

... I just can't believe they brought back region locking for the 3DS. What a terrible move.
Unfortunately,

1. Japanese 2DS don't exist yet so no one knows
2. The only way patches are possible is through a flashcart/hacking the console and no such method exists right now
3. Very low due to licensed dlc quests/gear and huge HR/gear differences between JP and western players, likely the same reason why 3U was US/EU cross region only

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
1: sorry cant answer that for you.

2: no news on that.

3: next to none as generally data between JP / EN versions are usually non compatible.

---

You can thank all the pirates for the return of region locking.

Unfortunately,

1. Japanese 2DS don't exist yet so no one knows
2. The only way patches are possible is through a flashcart/hacking the console and no such method exists right now
3. Very low due to licensed dlc quests/gear and huge HR/gear differences between JP and western players, likely the same reason why 3U was US/EU cross region only

Thanks for your quick replies. Wow, what a dip...

Importing MH on PSP was a no-brainer. We weren't confined by the hardware and would eventually buy the localised release as well anyway, because we loved the series so much and as you say, there was exclusive content for each region.

Japanese only for MHP3rd was fine. We still bought it despite it never coming to the west. Then there was all this WiiU and 3DS stuff...
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy and love Nintendo as much as the next 1st party publisher, but I really don't know what to say. One of my favourite game series of all time and I don't know how they expect me to continue enjoying it with friends outside Japan :(

Kaji

I'll be playing for the next 4 hours, working through some HR4, hit me up in the chat if you want to join in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Scratch dmg (red bar) is immediatly deducted from your HPs. Thought I read somewhere it lowered defense as well but haven't really noticed. When you recover, you get bonus affinity for a bit.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Anyone up for helping me get the antenna for my goa magara helm? Just about to mine what I need for the arms first.

Wish Capcom could have come up with a method to stub out event DLC from the localized versions. That way different regions could still be cross-compatible without (hopefully) violating license agreements.

Garou

So I need some new gear for my GS, but according to Wiki only one set has crit draw?

So I guess it's charm farming time. I assume doing the circle-route in the sky-stage is the best option?

Someone point me to the 3U thread if I missed it.

Is there a recommended mid/high tier armour rank for gunners? I've been blademaster up to now and started building the rath soul set just because I had some bits lying around, but it there anything else around that level that would be better for my first set?

Garou

Someone point me to the 3U thread if I missed it.

Is there a recommended mid/high tier armour rank for gunners? I've been blademaster up to now and started building the rath soul set just because I had some bits lying around, but it there anything else around that level that would be better for my first set?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548268

When I tried a heavy bowgun after 150 hours of GreatSword the Uragaan X armor served me very well with its high Defense to get used to being weaker than a blademaster.

la_briola

Lol I was joking

Anyways I just got done with a fatty solo with 12 seconds to spare! Guess who I will be choosing for my turns next time we all hunt

Fine with me! I'm home in ~9 hours. Be ready.

No, there is no consolation in that whatsoever. ;_;
joking!, mainly, sorta...

I actually wouldn't mind farming fatalis for a bit... a little worried his set/weapons will require parts for which you need to break, like... his head? I aint standing around in front of him for any length of time, no sir, nope, wont do it, nuhu, not happening, not a chance. No.

Agreed, lets farm him later today.

Fistwell

There is dual gold Rajang if that is any consolidation

I actually wouldn't mind farming fatalis for a bit... a little worried his set/weapons will require parts for which you need to break, like... his head? I aint standing around in front of him for any length of time, no sir, nope, wont do it, nuhu, not happening, not a chance. No.

Anura

I broke his head when I soloed. When you ride him you're attacking his head and GS sniping his head on turn isn't that hard when he is crawling. Perhaps someone can gun though? It might make it easier if someone was focusing down the head although it's going to put them on huge danger of being one shotted

panda21

it seems like a lot of stuff, like fireballs, can just go straight through the pillars in the multilevel areas without them even breaking

Fistwell

I broke his head when I soloed. When you ride him you're attacking his head and GS sniping his head on turn isn't that hard when he is crawling. Perhaps someone can gun though? It might make it easier if someone was focusing down the head although it's going to put them on huge danger of being one shotted
Eh I can gun. I'll just play super safe to avoid carting too often. So yeah, maybe dont expect too much DPS cause I'll spend most of the time running around. Maybe I could craft a set with good fire resist. Also, is he vulnerable to sleep/para/poison? I think I read somewhere the old one was, not sure about this one here. Unsure also what ammo I can load into the ancient LBG in 4, at least some para, maybe some sleep as well? I wouldnt mind sleep-bombing his ass a bit.

Anura

it seems like a lot of stuff, like fireballs, can just go straight through the pillars in the multilevel areas without them even breaking

Ugh I know! It's really annoying when you're trying to climb up to the monster and they just keep blasting you

Edit:
Eh I can gun. I'll just play super safe to avoid carting too often. So yeah, maybe dont expect too much DPS cause I'll spend most of the time running around. Maybe I could craft a set with good fire resist. Also, is he vulnerable to sleep/para/poison? I think I read somewhere the old one was, not sure about this one here. Unsure also what ammo I can load into the ancient LBG in 4, at least some para, maybe some sleep as well? I wouldnt mind sleep-bombing his ass a bit.

Yeah that would be great! He can't be Inflicted with KO but para/sleep is fair game.

Fistwell

Hey guys, not gonna make it tonight, sry. Stayed at work late and actually left my 3DS at the office (not going back there now lol). I'll be there tomorrow!

Anura

Hey guys, not gonna make it tonight, sry. Stayed at work late and actually left my 3DS at the office (not going back there now lol). I'll be there tomorrow!

Well fine, I didn't want you there anyways! I got my sword, who needs you! *sniff*...

Top Bottom