• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

PKrockin

Also, does material from low-level monsters help build good gear, or does it become useless at a certain point?
For armor, not usually. It does for weapons though. Forging a weapon will cost more zenny and require more/rarer materials than upgrading something you already own into that same weapon. Also if you decide you want a G-rank Black Gavios gunlance for example, you'll first need to forge the base Gravios gunlance with low rank materials before upgrading it with rarer and higher rank materials.

Shengar

For armor, not usually. It does for weapons though. Forging a weapon will cost more zenny and require more/rarer materials than upgrading something you already own into that same weapon. Also if you decide you want a G-rank Black Gavios gunlance for example, you'll first need to forge the base Gravios gunlance with low rank materials before upgrading it with rarer and higher rank materials.

Doesn't crafting a specific weapon from upgrading cost more zeeny than usual? Yes, upgrading can save you from plates/rare material farming but some weapon are very deep into the tree that you ended up spent more zenny.

Phew, that Gypceros is no joke.

Got enough materials from him to make a Poison Battleaxe. Has the same base damage as the Viper Bite (140) but has 180 Poison instead of 100 Paralysis, and is quite a bit sharper.

What defines which attacks you can block with the shield?

Thanks for the material tips guys :)

Worth keeping in mind

PKrockin

Doesn't crafting a specific weapon from upgrading cost more zeeny than usual? Yes, upgrading can save you from plates/rare material farming but some weapon are very deep into the tree that you ended up spent more zenny.
Oh yeah I forgot that forging a lower rank weapon and upgrading it repeatedly can get pricey. Lower rank materials' usefulness in higher ranks, as far as weapons go, is mostly in forging a low rank weapon in order to upgrade to a higher rank weapon, because often that's the only choice.

And that was a heck of a convoluted sentence.

Faiz

Still running about in a bit of a mess of gear. Whenever I have my eye on a set, something new unlocks and I change my mind. Is it only a set if its the full 5-piece, or is that more of a general thing where you can put 3 or so pieces together for the Ability bonus?

The main thing about any armor is activating the abilities. Generally that means a full matching set, especially early on. Mixing sets to activate abilities is possible, and even common, but less so until you reach G rank. For now just concentrate on getting a full set that has some abilities that will be useful for your weapon of choice.

The main thing about any armor is activating the abilities. Generally that means a full matching set, especially early on. Mixing sets to activate abilities is possible, and even common, but less so until you reach G rank. For now just concentrate on getting a full set that has some abilities that will be useful for your weapon of choice.

Might just go full Tetsucabra for the Defense buff. Have a set with Heat Sink but fire hasn't been a problem for me yet. And the stuff with Mounting Expert and Recovery is the starting gear with low base defense :(

Got 8 in Health and Defense, so would be boss if I could build something with +2 in each of those, or one of them if necessary. Also getting dangerously close to a negative Dragon attribute

Faiz

Might just go full Tetsucabra for the Defense buff. Have a set with Heat Sink but fire hasn't been a problem for me yet. And the stuff with Mounting Expert and Recovery is the starting gear with low base defense :(

Tetsucabra is a great all-purpose suit early on, I used it for quite a while. It's especially good if you find yourself getting carted a lot while learning to avoid getting hit - gem it to Health +15 and you'll always have +50 health even after carting and losing the food buffs.

As you learn to avoid taking damage more, something that improves your damage will be more useful.

Tarps

As you learn to avoid taking damage more, something that improves your damage will be more useful.

Great advice here. When you're ready to start dealing out more damage I switched over to Velociprey, which gives Attack (S) which is easily gemmed up to Attack (M). Plus I think the attack boost will still stack with your food boosts which is even better.

Between those two armours you should be good for some time.

Tom_Cody

Got 8 in Health and Defense, so would be boss if I could build something with +2 in each of those, or one of them if necessary. Also getting dangerously close to a negative Dragon attribute
I'm new to the series as well and I spend a good bit of time early on with the Tetsucabara set. It looks pretty awesome too.

Your armor selection doesn't matter too much in low-rank. A lot of the armor sets end up having roughly the same defense (once you start upgrading with armor spheres and armor sphere +s). I went from mixed garbage → Tetsucabra → Nerscylla → Gore Magala, and I'm still using the Gore set now as I'm playing through the special quests at the end of low-rank / beginning of high-rank.

The Nerscylla armor ended up being a defensive downgrade to the Tetsucabra armor, but I only realized that after I had crafted it. I continued to use it because it has skills that help with trapping and I was still learning the game's basic systems at that point.

My recommendation is simply to not over-think it. Armor skills matter more later on once you get access to better armor (and charms/decorations). Just pick a set that you like and ride it through low-rank. The game doesn't insensitive you to craft a ton of sets, especially at this point.

Tom_Cody

Gore Magala

12 kills and 7 plates before I got 2 tails...

I carved 2 plates from a tail before I got 2 tails...
Lol, for me the plate was the problem. I had to kill him exactly 12 times in order to get one plate. I'm an archer, so thank god I got the one tail I needed from the only time I cut his tail.

And I luckily got a tail from a body carve on Shagaru Magala on my second fight with it. Cutting tails with a bow is such a pain...

Hmm, seems all I can do right now is get Defense (S) by wearing an Alloy Helm instead of the Kecha Helm (which is a huge downgrade in the looking badass department)

Could make Tetsucabra Faulds to get 14 in Defense, but that's as high as I can go I think, so I'll keep the Seltas Faulds for their higher base defense

jorgejjvr

Dang, dual blades are so fun with evasion +3. Nothing can touch you!

-Alternis

Edit: Honestly though, I find it easier to evade when my character does a roll instead of a demon dash. The dashes are much quicker and I feel there is very little time to get it right.

Tried the Caraveener's Challenge last night for the first time. Wowee, what a tough one. I didn't last 10 minutes. That's gonna take some practice.

I'm going to finish grinding through all the missed 7-10* quests now. Is there a list that says which 10* quests are G Rank and which are High Rank?

Dang, dual blades are so fun with evasion +3. Nothing can touch you!

-Alternis

Edit: Honestly though, I find it easier to evade when my character does a roll instead of a demon dash. The dashes are much quicker and I feel there is very little time to get it right.

Short dashes for me are to break out of animations quicker than for actual dodging, unless you're running an evade lance build.

Tom_Cody

Hmm, seems all I can do right now is get Defense (S) by wearing an Alloy Helm instead of the Kecha Helm (which is a huge downgrade in the looking badass department)

Could make Tetsucabra Faulds to get 14 in Defense, but that's as high as I can go I think, so I'll keep the Seltas Faulds for their higher base defense
Your base defense will go up when you start upgrading your equipment with armor spheres and armor sphere +. Are you doing this already?

I strongly recommend that you just pick one matched set, farm it, and then upgrade it. IMO you are focusing on skills too early on in the game.

So I tried gunlancing rajang with my new-ish *lava soft armor and even with part breaker and literally taking my time to focus on the head the damn 2nd horn just wouldn't pop off.

*edit: I mean Lavasioth. Stupid auto correct.

Mupod

So I tried gunlancing rajang with my new-ish lava soft armor and even with part breaker and literally taking my time to focus on the head the damn 2nd horn just wouldn't pop off.

perhaps try a GS. I get the first horn off and a lot of damage on the second after the first trap. Second one is gone shortly after without even specifically going after the head very much. No partbreaker, just a pitfall and a might seed (can only trap during rage).

If it's the caravan furious rajang you can actually end via subquest and get the gorer that way. Unless you're me, and you only get the 10% drops when you're after the 90% drop.

*edit: I mean Lavasioth. Stupid auto correct.

aw, I figured you were wearing armor with the anti-malware skill

Valus

Tried the Caraveener's Challenge last night for the first time. Wowee, what a tough one. I didn't last 10 minutes. That's gonna take some practice.

I'm going to finish grinding through all the missed 7-10* quests now. Is there a list that says which 10* quests are G Rank and which are High Rank?

I'm not sure if there's any specific list, but you can tell by looking at the quest requirements on the quest page itself. If it has anywhere from G1 to G3 requirement, then that quest is G-rank. If it says no requirement, then it's HR.

jorgejjvr

I'm not sure if there's any specific list, but you can tell by looking at the quest requirements on the quest page itself. If it has anywhere from G1 to G3 requirement, then that quest is G-rank.

Anything in 10* that's a subspecies of easier monsters like the Seltas, Kecha Wacha as well as things like white Monoblos, Mohran and furious Rajang.

-Alternis

Faiz

You are over thinking it by far. Just farm Tetsu a little and make the full set, gem in a couple points in health and go from there.

You are over thinking it by far. Just farm Tetsu a little and make the full set, gem in a couple points in health and go from there.

Don't think I've unlocked gems yet, or if I have I haven't found any :p

Am I missing something or is there no Tetsucabra head-wear?

perhaps try a GS. I get the first horn off and a lot of damage on the second after the first trap. Second one is gone shortly after without even specifically going after the head very much. No partbreaker, just a pitfall and a might seed (can only trap during rage).

If it's the caravan furious rajang you can actually end via subquest and get the gorer that way. Unless you're me, and you only get the 10% drops when you're after the 90% drop.

aw, I figured you were wearing armor with the anti-malware skill

Nah this was guild hall high rank. Trying to "git gud" ya know? And my great sword skills are bunk but I suppose it can't hurt to try it at least once or twice right?
In all fairness, "Frenzy" is a virus...
:p

tuffy

You'll need to have a Tetsucabra tusk (best gotten by breaking them) in order for the helm/cap to show up as forge-able.

Decorations for your armor unlock later, as I recall.

Faiz

I'm fairly certain they unlock after you fight Tetsucabcra for the guy in Habar. If you are fighting Tetsucabra...

And if the helm isn't showing that means you are missing a key piece to have it made. I'm guessing the tusks but I'd have to look it up to make sure.

Tom_Cody

You'll need to have a Tetsucabra tusk (best gotten by breaking them) in order for the helm/cap to show up as forge-able.

Decorations for your armor unlock later, as I recall.
"Upgrade Equipment" is one of the options at the blacksmith. It will automatically show you what gems you can use.

If you haven't unlocked this already, you will imminently. Maybe you need to be one village further on.

tuffy

If you haven't unlocked this already, you will imminently. Maybe you need to be one village further on.
I think they show up the same time Little Miss Forge joins the team, if I'm remembering right. It's pretty early on, but spaced out since it's another game concept to learn.

All right, so my main weapon has always been LBG, and I've made a great GRank set for it. However, I like to keep around a good Long Sword and/or Sword&Shield set for monsters that I struggle to gun against.

I have no freaking clue where to start. I'm thinking of Veloci X for Long Sword, but I don't even know where to start for a good SnS set. I'll eventually make a support one, but I'm looking for a good damaging one since I'll be soloing some. Any SnS users have GRank advice?

Tom_Cody

I think they show up the same time Little Miss Forge joins the team, if I'm remembering right. It's pretty early on, but spaced out since it's another game concept to learn.
Ok, so that happens after the Nerscylla fight (the end of the first Harth segment).
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest/caravan/4/nerscylla-thrilla

And ditto regarding the game concepts being spaced out on purpose. I came to appreciate early on how the game tries to not overwhelm you with all of the game's systems at once.

tuffy

Any SnS users have GRank advice?
Though I'm no expert, I really like the looks of Tigrex Z. Speed Eating +2 (pretty much instant potion chugs), HG Earplugs, Capture Guru, along with 6 points of SpeedSetup (add 2 decorations for instant bomb setups) and 4 points of Spirit which could get you to Challenger +1/2 for more damage.

PrankT

Yup. I'm on the path to making that yamato armor now because of it. Getting 2 earth sphires from solo mohren will kill me though.

If you use skull/black belt helmet, kaiser chest & arms, kushala waist (kaiser may work here too), grand yamato legs you can get:

Sharpness +1
Sheath Control
Critical Draw
Focus
Extra Skill w/ Charm (I use Attack L because I got super lucky with a +14 Atk +5 Focus charm)

I think you just need a focus +3 charm with a couple slots (and decorations, of course). I'll try to take a closer look. Long story short, you may not need to get multiple sphires.

taybul

Is Juju melding the best way to "farm" charms? Currently I set 2 requests (can only afford that at the moment), do Steak Your Ground twice without saving, check the results and if I don't see anything I like, restart the game. The whole cycle takes about 2 minutes and nets around 7-10 charms.

Juraash

Is Juju melding the best way to "farm" charms? Currently I set 2 requests (can only afford that at the moment), do Steak Your Ground twice without saving, check the results and if I don't see anything I like, restart the game. The whole cycle takes about 2 minutes and nets around 7-10 charms.

It's a little dull and there are quest methods that get you rare ores and what not as well. But I did this for a few hours collectively over the last 4-5 days and got a charm I needed to make my set work. It's definitely the best method that doesn't involve actual farming. And even with my farming set, the yield on the juju seemed better on average.

Leezard

Farming White Monoblos horns by subquest is so good.

I only need a single sonic bomb and 5 ice shots ( with rapid fire, not all of them need to hit) to break the horn.

Kyzon

[10:16] <Kyzon> Pass 0000
[10:17] <Kyzon> 60-0308-3978-7494

Doing G-Rank Special Permit stuff, and G in general.

Join :)

Infinite

SnS users have GRank advice?
Customize the Uka Uka U for challenger +2

You can then do the same with the Caedus X Head/ Kushala X Chest/ Chameleos X Arm/ Kushala X Waist/Torso Up Legs set. It gives sharpness +1, evade +1, HQ Earplugs for starters. You just gotta gem in the skills and you're good afterwards. Also you get 5 more slots to work with after that. So if you got good talismans you can add challenger +2 to this set as well. Truly perfect for sns

Leezard

It is nice isn't it? What are you going to make?

I forgot. I just remembered that something I was eyeing required 3 horns, so I went and farmed them, and I will at least have them by the time I remember. :p

edit: It was for the Grand Divine Ire Robe, I remember now.

Had to slow down for a bit but revisited the village quests to clean up all I can do (all through 9* but need to open up some more for 10 via the GH). That 9* double Black Gravios quest was annoying the hell out of me in melee, so I parked the GS and brought out the pierce-focused Seregios HBG and aside from the obvious caution needed around the slow movements (with limiter removed as well) it was certainly smoother.

I usually took a HBG to Gravios in previous games but in this game was to this point using GS everywhere. That mission though, bah, HBG thank you very much. Now I'm making sure to use the Arluq Hammer...just because.

[10:16] <Kyzon> Pass 0000
[10:17] <Kyzon> 60-0308-3978-7494

Doing G-Rank Special Permit stuff, and G in general.

Join :)

I'm the new host of this room. We're gonna be doing itemless Chamelios for the Wycoon soon after the quest we're on.

EDIT: The other players got bored of waiting, so the room no longer exists.

Unicorn

Now I feel like I'm racing to the end of the game. ~178 hours, HR72, G1 Permit.

I'm getting worried the end of the game is approaching and I won't have a reason to keep pushing for new weapons and armors.

Top Bottom