• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds won’t be releasing on the Switch as it “uses the latest technology to its limit”

mnkl13

you may know some facts, but you don't know all of the facts. a lot can happen in 5 years. and not happen too. and we can see that by looking at the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The people who would want a port on the same people that like cock and ball torture. And I know none of us like that.

That’s what I’m hoping. If the monsters behavior and world simulations fully utilize the systems they’re running on, I don’t care all that much about visual fidelity.

I think it looks nice in a similar way that Elden Ring looks great. It's carried by its art with decent fidelity. Another thing is games these days temd to look much better in person.

IF (and a big if) the Switch 2 can run this, there is a huge opportunity to release this around launch with crossplay supported. Both Nintendo and Capcom would be wise to make this happen.

Comandr

You guys need to forget about this game on the switch 2. While an early build, the game is already, demonstrably, bringing bringing the PS5 to its knees. I'm pulling the plug on this hopium.

Let's examine this with the magic of science.

The Switch 2 is largely expected to utilize the Nvidia T239 SoC. This chip has a theoretical maximum performance envelope of is around 4 tflops. Sounds good. Around PS4 Pro/Xbox Series S performance. And hey, Wilds is coming to the Series S*! Done deal! We solved the mystery, gang.

not-so-fast-alec.gif

Let's consider that the Switch 2 is - presumably - a handheld. I don't think anyone would dispute that. The Switch has a 16 watt hour battery. That means if the system is drawing a total of 8 watts, it will last 2 hours. If we examine the average play time reported by people on the internet of a game like.. Tears of the Kingdom, it seems to be about 3 hours. Not bad. That means the system is drawing 5.33 watts during gameplay. This ultra low power consumption is achieved by Nintendo lowering the CPU, GPU, and RAM clocks very very low in an effort to save power, and, in turn, extend battery life.

Numerous enterprising individuals out there have already hacked their Switches to increase those clocks, and they've seen improvements in the performance of their games; though at a massive increase in power consumption, bringing their play time to as little as 1.5 hours.

Assuming that the Switch 2 is around the same size, and unless they have radically reconfigured it internally to improve on battery size/capacity, we can probably expect the same 16-ish watt hour battery as the current model.

The Xbox Series S consumes 74 watts during gameplay.
The PS5 consumes TWO HUNDRED AND NINE (209) watts during gameplay.

Assuming that Wilds will really push these systems to their maximum- and so far from what we've seen, they seem to- How much do you have to strip a game down to fit into a power envelope of 5-7 watts?

Unless it's somehow thought that the game will only be playable docked? Like Nintendo would ever allow that. B-b-b-but DLSS? No. Digital Foundry already hammered that nail down. Even running an older game like Death Stranding on their simulated Switch 2 hardware, they were only able to achieve 50ish at 720p, and high 20s-low 30s at 4k with DLSS set to Ultra Performance. And to top it all off, this is at docked GPU clock speeds of 750Mhz, with no concern for wattage consumption.

So. Unless the Switch 2 is just flat out magic, or its massively bigger to accommodate a larger battery, I don't see this happening. I don't mind being proven wrong. I just don't think I will be. You can't achieve this kind of fidelity without consuming power, and you can't consume much power if you have a small battery to operate off of. That's really all it comes down to.

I've said it a thousand times: Yasunori Ichinose's team, that is - the Monster Hunter Portable team - is doubtlessly working on a brand new Switch 2 exclusive** based on the new 6th generation. What the hell else would they have been doing for the last two years?

Notes: *Until it gets cancelled. **Timed exclusive.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

You guys need to forget about this game on the switch 2. While an early build, the game is already, demonstrably, bringing bringing the PS5 to its knees. I'm pulling the plug on this hopium.

The Switch 2 is largely expected to utilize the Nvidia T239 SoC. This chip has a theoretical maximum performance envelope of is around 4 tflops. Sounds good. Around PS4 Pro/Xbox Series S performance. And hey, Wilds is coming to the Series S*! Done deal! We solved the mystery, gang.

not-so-fast-alec.gif

Let's consider that the Switch 2 is - presumably - a handheld. I don't think anyone would dispute that. The Switch has a 16 watt hour battery. That means if the system is drawing a total of 8 watts, it will last 2 hours. If we examine the average play time reported by people on the internet of a game like.. Tears of the Kingdom, it seems to be about 3 hours. Not bad. That means the system is drawing 5.33 watts during gameplay. This ultra low power consumption is achieved by Nintendo lowering the CPU, GPU, and RAM clocks very very low in an effort to save power, and, in turn, extend battery life.

Numerous enterprising individuals out there have already hacked their Switches to increase those clocks, and they've seen improvements in the performance of their games; though at a massive increase in power consumption, bringing their play time to as little as 1.5 hours.

Assuming that the Switch 2 is around the same size, and unless they have radically reconfigured it internally to improve on battery size/capacity, we can probably expect the same 16-ish watt hour battery as the current model.

Assuming that Wilds will really push these systems to their maximum- and so far from what we've seen, they seem to- How much do you have to strip a game down to fit into a power envelope of 5-7 watts?

Unless it's somehow thought that the game will only be playable docked? Like Nintendo would ever allow that. B-b-b-but DLSS? No. Digital Foundry already hammered that nail down. Even running an older game like Death Stranding on their simulated Switch 2 hardware, they were only able to achieve 50ish at 720p, and high 20s-low 30s at 4k with DLSS set to Ultra Performance. And to top it all off, this is at docked GPU clock speeds of 750Mhz.

So. Unless the Switch 2 is just flat out magic, or its massively bigger to accommodate a larger battery, I don't see this happening. I don't mind being proven wrong. I just don't think I will be. You can't achieve this kind of fidelity without consuming power, and you can't consume much power if you have a small battery to operate off of. That's really all it comes down to.

I've said it a thousand times: Yasunori Ichinose's team, that is - the Monster Hunter Portable team - is doubtlessly working on a brand new Switch 2 exclusive** based on the new 6th generation. What the hell else would they have been doing for the last two years?

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

Euler007

not-so-fast-alec.gif

Unless it's somehow thought that the game will only be playable docked? Like Nintendo would ever allow that. B-b-b-but DLSS? No. Digital Foundry already hammered that nail down. Even running an older game like Death Stranding on their simulated Switch 2 hardware, they were only able to achieve 50ish at 720p, and high 20s-low 30s at 4k with DLSS set to Ultra Performance. And to top it all off, this is at docked GPU clock speeds of 750Mhz, with no concern for wattage consumption.

Switch uses a 4,310 mah battery. The recently released Pixel 9 has a 4700mah battery. There's a lot more volume in a Switch (173mmX102mmX13.9mm not including joycons) than a Pixel 9 (152.8mmX72mmX8.5mm), they could fit two of these batteries in there.

Comandr

Switch uses a 4,310 mah battery. The recently released Pixel 9 has a 4700mah battery. There's a lot more volume in a Switch (173mmX102mmX13.9mm not including joycons) than a Pixel 9 (152.8mmX72mmX8.5mm), they could fit two of these batteries in there.
58ba25e97159bebb24782ed3_Nintendo-Switch-1343.jpg

Where does the heat sink and everything else go? The Pixel 9 doesn't have active cooling because it's not expected to sustain (relatively) high power loads for extended periods of time.

I don't disagree with you- but like I said, the device would have to be significantly larger to accommodate the increased battery size.

Euler007

58ba25e97159bebb24782ed3_Nintendo-Switch-1343.jpg

Where does the heat sink and everything else go? The Pixel 9 doesn't have active cooling because it's not expected to sustain (relatively) high power loads for extended periods of time.

I don't disagree with you- but like I said, the device would have to be significantly larger to accommodate the increased battery size.
I've heard good things about people playing games for several hours on the Pixel 9 pro XL thanks to the vapor chamber. Haven't seen a teardown yet.

Top Bottom