• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

squall23

Capcom's ridiculous list of ridiculousness:

Step 1: Add exhaust pipes to horses
Step 2: Add exhaust pipes to dragons

I'm also somewhat not surprised that HKers got out a video of Quatrion first.

Thoraxes

http://andriasang.com/comzc5/3ds_monhan_sales/

Enterbrain has shared first week sales for Monster Hunter 3G, which was released this past Saturday (12/10)

The first 3DS entry in the Monster Hunter series sold 471,055 units in its first week. Enterbrain's one week tracking period goes from Monday to Sunday, so this figure represents just two days of sales.

3DS had its best week yet last week, selling 378,114 units. This figure covers the full week, from 12/5 to 12/11.

Thanks to this surge, the 3DS has now crossed the three million mark in Japanese sales. Its life to date total is 3,237,272 units.

Edit: oohhhhh you made a separate thread

Akainu

Capcom's ridiculous list of ridiculousness:

Step 1: Add exhaust pipes to horses
Step 2: Add exhaust pipes to dragons

I'm also somewhat not surprised that HKers got out a video of Quatrion first.
Barroth has exhaust pipes or blow holes I guess.

Tenbatsu

zuHOA.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If a localization is on the cards, what's the most reasonable time for announcement and release?

I totally forgot how the PSP games and Tri were handled.

Luigiv

How to make the touch panel Dpad physical!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHB3KqJ7o6c

Not a bad idea but I'd be worried about scratching the screen and leaving glue residue on it.

Edit: Oh it's soft and squishy. That's not so bad, I guess.

If a localization is on the cards, what's the most reasonable time for announcement and release?

I totally forgot how the PSP games and Tri were handled.

Tri's Localisation was announced exactly 2 days after the Japanese release and dated for 8 months later (I believe the localisation process didn't start until after the announcement though I don't know for sure. JohnTV and sprsk would, though).

Tenbatsu

After defeating G Level last boss グラン・ミラオス, you will be able to raise your HR maybe to 999(?)
At HR 15 you will be able to make a Super Hammer ポルタマルク.
http://ouji.gg-blog.com/Entry/18/

john tv

This...is definitely Tri difficulty. Holy shit. I went into my first Qurupeco fight expecting to totally assrape him like in P3, and that $%&# actually managed to beat me. I got him as far as limping and the clock was down to three minutes left and I couldn't finish him off. WTF?

The very first Qurupeco you fight summons goddamn Rathian, the two were practically inseparable.

RAGE

I'm comin' back for you tomorrow, you rainbow feathered piece of shit.

(I love this game.)

Ridley327

This...is definitely Tri difficulty. Holy shit. I went into my first Qurupeco fight expecting to totally assrape him like in P3, and that $%&# actually managed to beat me. I got him as far as limping and the clock was down to three minutes left and I couldn't finish him off. WTF?

The very first Qurupeco you fight summons goddamn Rathian, the two were practically inseparable.

RAGE

(I love this game.)

Best news thus far!

gogogow

RAGE

(I love this game.)

Protip: dungbomb

john tv

Protip: dungbomb
Had two dung bombs, used em both. Over the course of the hour he managed to summon Rathian like 6 times. I couldn't keep up.

I came into this fight expecting to wipe the floor with him, I didn't really prepare for an actual challenge. My bad, but still. ARGH. :)

I really like those first 20 hours of a MH game where you are building your toolbox of bombs, traps and so on while gathering constantly. Its most RPGish to me then, before i get lost in the forest that is planning armor skills and gems.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Had two dung bombs, used em both.

two?! A hunter never leaves home without 10 - one of the most valuable items in the game.

Then again - i assume you're resource/armour/weaponry constrained at this point in time?

This is one of the reasons i have shied away for now. I can't go back through the cycles of finding certain monsters hard again until i grind up the equipment when i'm happily getting sucked into whirlwind death over on 3rdP.

I really like those first 20 hours of a MH game where you are building your toolbox of bombs, traps and so on while gathering constantly. Its most RPGish to me then, before i get lost in the forest that is planning armor skills and gems.

yeah, this and seeing yourself skill up and learn the monsters. Wife, Jonnyram and I are rapidly becoming a well oiled monster dismantling machine. I personally prefer when you get to the plinth and it's more about just taking down the last batch of monsters. Nothing left to learn, just technique, planning, luck, correct weapon/armour/skill mix.

Tenbatsu

RAGE

(I love this game.)
Yeah no more easy handheld MH! :D
And I hope mine comes today..... :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can you skip right into the multiplayer quests by yourself like you could just play online and offline (sort of) concurrently on Wii to help with the tedium of the single player early stages, tutorials, etc? And also to take advantage of the multiplayer NPC vendors for items? Although since the difficulty is like Tri I guess you really need people to play with locally without online otherwise monsters will have way too much health to be fun in solo mode until you get geared up beyond their league.

DCharlie

Can you skip right into the multiplayer quests by yourself like you could just play online and offline concurrently on Wii to help with the tedium of the single player early stages? Although since the difficulty is like Tri I guess you really need people to play with locally without online otherwise monsters will have way too much health to be fun in solo mode until you get geared up beyond their league

taking down a monster when it's supposed to be done with a group is all part of the fun. I'm looking at you, EvilJho (upto a point)

ShinNL

RAGE

(I love this game.)
Hah, I laughed IRL with this post :p

I'm glad the difficulty is back. I never played 3rd, so I don't know how they changed it, but I liked the pacing of Tri.

Alrus

Yeah I was going to ask, is health balanced like the portable games or more like Tri? I don't know anyone who owns a 3DS, so I want to know if the town quest will be soloable without some insane skills.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I am a Monster Hunter freak, but I have no 3DS.

I walk by store displays and shelves full of Tri G and I get that 'kid at Christmas' feeling of joy and anticipation...

Question: Should I spoil myself?
I love me some P3rd, but after putting 2-300hrs into that and the other PSP titles, I feel it's on its last legs. I'm jonesing for a new hunt.

The idea of fighting Caedus and other Tri monsters, and swimming battles on the move is appealing. Plus, I want to hear that music while wandering around the town again (currently no access to a Wii).

Or: Should I hold out?
I don't know a single one of my friends who has/wants a 3DS. I'm in a remote part of Japan; I'll be lucky if I can find some junior high school kids to hunt with. No online means I am stuck by myself, at least for a while.

20,000yen is a handsome bundle price, especially for that cool design, but I'm not sure if this is the system seller I was waiting for (considering my history with MH, it really should be...) Is MH4 set to come out for both 3DS and Vita? I don't think I can afford to own both next-gen handhelds.

Monster Hunters of GAF, please help me!

Luigiv

I am a Monster Hunter freak, but I have no 3DS.

I walk by store displays and shelves full of Tri G and I get that 'kid at Christmas' feeling of joy and anticipation...

I love me some P3rd, but after putting 2-300hrs into that and the other PSP titles, I feel it's on its last legs. I'm jonesing for a new hunt.

The idea of fighting Caedus and other Tri monsters, and swimming battles on the move is appealing. Plus, I want to hear that music while wandering around the town again (currently no access to a Wii).

I don't know a single one of my friends who has/wants a 3DS. I'm in a remote part of Japan; I'll be lucky if I can find some junior high school kids to hunt with. No online means I am stuck by myself, at least for a while.

20,000yen is a handsome bundle price, especially for that cool design, but I'm not sure if this is the system seller I was waiting for (considering my history with MH, it really should be...) Is MH4 set to come out for both 3DS and Vita? I don't think I can afford to own both next-gen handhelds.

Well I don't know if I can recommend you the game and system (haven't played the game, don't know if you're interested in anything else on the system) but as for the question in bold, as of now, MH4 is 3DS exclusive.

Will things stay that way? I have no idea. Typically Capcom doesn't like making MH games multiplat because they don't like idea of splitting the community (which is doubly important on a handheld game that thrives off local multiplayer). However, whilst I do think a straight port is out of the question, I remixed semi-port to Vita (as a continuation of the portable line) is plausible. Honestly who knows.

DCharlie

this game bombed hard

Game is out a week, launched at 6080 RRP, in stores at around 5400-5800 yen
Today everywhere is FULLY stocked, second hand copies available, and a new price point of 4400-4980 yen.

DCharlie

Go check Amazon.jp - they'll be driving most of it. I have a few photos if that helps

DCharlie

Armchair something or other.

god forbid we discuss video games sales , sorry Grandad.

so the drop off will be huge next week, 150k territory?

a bit lower but in that range.

My theory still holds together in spite of the figures (though of course could well be completely wrong, no denying!) , and i think i'm going to be helped by Capcom being cautious. I know they've said 1m by end of the year, but i'm assuming that's going to be a planned run of 3x 150 or so. If the sales do start drying up, they'll potentially stop a reprint. They won't want a repeat of Tri.

Still - 4480 (or 4429 on Amazon right now) is sure to bring out anyone um-ing and ah-ing about giving it a tri.

walk by store displays and shelves full of Tri G and I get that 'kid at Christmas' feeling of joy and anticipation...

well, here in lies the thought process which will go through the heads of a lot of MH'ers for MHTriG. Is Caedus + thatotherone , underwater fighting, 4 new subs, streetpass changes enough to get people to invest in a new machine and go back through some very similar content?

interested to know at what point did you stop with 3rdP ?

For me : i was buying it until the last minute - i have home life Monster Hunter pressure as it is, if i started playing 3G and it in any way took time away from 3rdP i'd be a dead man.

Alexios

There are several more than those two that will be new or mostly so to P3rd owners.

Another elder and lagiacrus at least. And underwater parts for gobul, ludroth and plesioth who wasn't in 3rd but was in previous games.

Unless you meant the new elder as thatotherone in which case you missed the cover monster.

There's at least another returning monster but it's probably too similar to 2/2G since it's not water based. Still good.

Maybe more I dunno about, I haven't checked a wiki or something, just what I've seen on gaf.

It probably helps the village and town are different too, and water parts can be seen early since it starts in moga forest.

And that the helpers are different too, with the dances and stuff, though some may prefer felynes.

Maybe the new helper adds more things, or he just lets you have more dances and skills at once, I dunno.

And of course the G tier as per the name.

Heck, I played tri and don't care much for the 3rd monsters but the applicable new stuff are enticing me anyway.

Seems like an all around capable enough G upgrade to me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well I don't know if I can recommend you the game and system (haven't played the game, don't know if you're interested in anything else on the system) but as for the question in bold, as of now, MH4 is 3DS exclusive.
I would certainly not complain if I had a 3DS. Things like SSFIV, RE: Mercenaries, Zelda, and all the new Mario stuff interest me greatly. I suppose if MH4 was a long way away (3DS or otherwise), this would be my only go-to.
Get the bundle, show it to your friends and they'll want to get it!
I have at least one buddy who would definitely get pumped and probably blow his Hong Kong dollars the second he saw me getting blinded by 3D monsters. The problem is we live in different countries now, and it's much harder to arrange MH sessions. No opportunity for online (at least P3rd has Ad-Hoc Party) means I will almost exclusively be stuck on my own.
well, here in lies the thought process which will go through the heads of a lot of MH'ers for MHTriG. Is Caedus + thatotherone , underwater fighting, 4 new subs, streetpass changes enough to get people to invest in a new machine and go back through some very similar content?

interested to know at what point did you stop with 3rdP ?

For me : i was buying it until the last minute - i have home life Monster Hunter pressure as it is, if i started playing 3G and it in any way took time away from 3rdP i'd be a dead man.
I finished the end-game monsters with a couple of dedicated hunter friends, and then we went our separate ways and none of us have touched it in quite a while. I'm sure if I fired it up today I would immediately get the bug again, and want to play nothing else over the Christmas period. I dunno. You never really 'stop' with Monster Hunter.

Edit: Cheers, Alextended. Totally forgot about the Town/Village split - are the layout and 'things to do' the same as in Tri? In fact, has anything been cut at all (minus online), or is it all upgraded from the Wii version?

Are the 'endless' day-night cycle hunts in Moga Forest still in? Those were actually really fun...

Alexios

Someone with the game will have to answer all that. I just picked that stuff browsing here. Just responded cos Dc shouldn't make such confident posts of what's new for whatever audience when he doesn't actually know, or if he's gonna forget more than half the stuff.

Now someone who finished both tri and 3rd may see fewer all new things, but still some, and those are what, a million tops.

DCharlie

I finished the end-game monsters with a couple of dedicated hunter friends, and then we went our separate ways and none of us have touched it in quite a while. I'm sure if I fired it up today I would immediately get the bug again, and want to play nothing else over the Christmas period. I dunno. You never really 'stop' with Monster Hunter.

yup - we're in the end-game ancients set now, but we're doing it as a pair at home and a trio elsewhere. I guess that's prolonging the experience but once we're done i might give TriG a go, but i don't see the big draw having played all the other entries (though not all to completion)

i'm absolutely itching for MH4 though - hoping the lead in time is short a la MHG Will --> Tri.

Someone with the game will have to answer all that. I just picked that stuff browsing here. Just responded cos Dc shouldn't make such confident posts of what's new for whatever audience when he doesn't actually know, or if he's gonna forget more than half the stuff.

It's the foundation of my soon-to-be-award-winning 800k and i'll stand by it. Not enough new content to get people to switch over en masse. MH4 will have more than enough. *shrug*

Top Bottom