• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

watershed

Banned
Did they do that to ensure a sellout, or was production just not up to the task?

Sounds like a bit of both. MHTri for the wii was apparently overshipped and thus too many were left on the shelves. So for this game Capcom didn't want to recreate the same situation and shipped fewer units. But the long wait between 1st and 2nd shipments suggests either poor planning or production being behind.

watershed

Banned
That launch event looks a little barren, did people rush home to play the game instead of joining the festivities?

Actually I've just found out myself - upon having a look at MHWikia website - that a AR card(just one card?) should be included in Japanese 3DS + MH3G bundle, along with a special stylus and a special charger.

Hmm, sounds like just a give away, probably brings up an AR version of the cover monster to take photos of it in the palm of your hand or something.

Edit: nevermind if its just the 3ds AR card set, thought we were talking about a MH specific AR card.

Luigiv

Ah, I stand corrected, sorry.
By the way it appears bundles allegedly include a special stylus and a special charger(a little faster perhaps?).

Doubt it. Probably just has a decal. The 3DS charger is slow on purpose (It's better for the battery's health in the long run).

Doubt it. Probably just has a decal. The 3DS charger is slow on purpose (It's better for the battery's health in the long run).

Actually a good deal would have been a much better battery unit.

Especially since MH is much demanding in terms of long game sessions, I guess this issue is going to be pretty appalling, unless you purchase separately some third-parties batteries - I gather the Nitro ones are pretty good compared to original ones and cheap as well.

watershed

Banned
Actually the biggest deal would have been a much better battery unit.

Especially since MH is much demanding in terms of long game sessions, this is going to be a real pain in the neck, unless you purchase separately some third-parties batteries - I gather the Nitro ones are pretty good compared to original ones and cheap as well.

The problem there is that you can't use the slide pad if you have one of the expansion pack batteries. So for a hardcore MH gamer you're kinda screwed unless you play with the charger plugged in.

The problem there is that you can't use the slide pad if you have one of the expansion pack batteries. So for a hardcore MH gamer you're kinda screwed unless you play with the charger plugged in.

It's kind of a serious issue, pretty disappointing indeed...
I hope they eventually come up with a fix soon.

A better battery is something that 3DS needs so desperately, especially if you're supposed to play online/wireless LAN; on top of that I guess MH4 is going to be more demanding and battery-draining, they need to have this fixed by then.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

A better battery is something that 3DS needs so desperately, especially if you're supposed to play online/wireless LAN; on top of that I guess MH4 is going to be more demanding and battery-draining, they need to have this fixed by then.

Extra battery from Nintendo is $15. Seems like an easy and affordable fix to get double your mileage.

watershed

Banned

For now it seems to be a next gen handheld issue. IIRC the vita has a comparable battery life. Both Nintendo and Sony opted to make their handhelds beefier/more capable but sacrificed battery life in the process. I hope future revisions address this issue.

watershed

Banned
Extra battery from Nintendo is $15. Seems like an easy and affordable fix to get double your mileage.

Nintendo has a first party battery extender? First I've heard of this and I don't see how it could be compatible with the slider expansion unless there's something like a bottom compartment to the slider casing.

BorkBork

That's what I thought. I think borkbork was referring to a replacement battery which Nintendo sells, I think for $15. But that doesn't double the battery life so it wasn't relevant to that particular discussion. Chalk it up to confusion.

Isn't it relevant? Can't you just take out the old battery and replace it with a fresh one that is official size, and then put the Frankenstick back on? I'm confused now.

Isn't it relevant? Can't you just take out the old battery and replace it with a fresh one that is official size, and then put the Frankenstick back on? I'm confused now.

So you'd carry a #00 Phillips-head screwdriver on your person at all times? That's not handy in any capacity.

Luigiv

You can but you'd need a screw driver on hand. Overall it's not a particularly practical solution.

watershed

Banned

Buying a replacement battery is just for when your first battery dies, not when a charge runs out. And I'm not aware of any way to charge a 3ds battery outside of using the ac cable in which case why not just recharge the 3ds itself?

The discussion was about how short battery life, combined with the slide pad expansion which encases the 3ds and prevents gamers from using a 3rd party battery extender hurts gamers' ability to play MHTriG for long periods especially if you're outside. Basically if you want to engage in a long multiplayer session you'll need the 3ds to be plugged in.

Either way, in order to replace battery, you have to unplug it, so you can't do it on the fly during a game session, that's why the easiest way to cope with it is perhaps playing w.ith the charger plug in, so essentially it's practicable only as long as you're playing at home.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Having put in a ton of time with Tri and Portable 3rd, I honestly do feel that Tri G is much tougher than P3, at least where I am (village HR3). It's kind of in line with the original Tri IMO, but I'll have to get to the upper ranks to really judge things.

beje

Banned
Either way, in order to replace battery, you have to unplug it, so you can't do it on the fly during a game session, that's why the easiest way to cope with it is perhaps playing w.ith the charger plug in, so essentially it's practicable only as long as you're playing at home.

Or you could... don't know... reduce the brightness and turn 3D off. Are you seriously going to be playing for 5 hours straight outside home without access to an USB port or a power outlet? For some reference, I was a 3DS meeting yesterday and after 4 hours of multiplayer Mario Kart and Tetris nonstop most people still had one bar of battery left.

Edit: or you could get one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-re...rgency-battery-pack-charger-w-adapters-104179

Where you can plug pretty much anything able to draw power from the USB.

M3d10n

bet you ten Nyko will come out with a solution soon enough

What? A higher capacity battery that magically fits in the same space as the current one? While there is research going on into increasing the capacity of Li-Ion tech, the results shouldn't be on market for at least three years and will probably cost a nice premium when they do.

Now, a circle-pad that has a large battery inside it and plugs into the 3DS charger port is something that someone will make, that's for sure.

Or you could... don't know... reduce the brightness and turn 3D off. Are you seriously going to be playing for 5 hours straight outside home without access to an USB port or a power outlet? For some reference, I was a 3DS meeting yesterday and after 4 hours of multiplayer Mario Kart and Tetris nonstop most people still had one bar of battery left.
Brigthness level 2 is completely usable indoors. It only looks dark if you suddenly switch from a brighter level down to it, but it looks fine if it's already set when you open the 3DS.

Do not forget headphones. The speakers drain a *lot* of battery and you can easily get an extra hour by using headphones.

BorkBork

I still think in the event that you don't have access to an outlet, have to use the frankenstick, a 5 minute break to replace the battery once every 3-4 hours isn't a huge inconvenience, especially when you have missions that only last at the max 50 minutes each.

What? A higher capacity battery that magically fits in the same space as the current one? While there is research going on into increasing the capacity of Li-Ion tech, the results shouldn't be on market for at least three years and will probably cost a nice premium when they do.

Now, a circle-pad that has a large battery inside it and plugs into the 3DS charger port is something that someone will make, that's for sure.

They just need to add some buttons and stick to their current batter pack and voila

Having put in a ton of time with Tri and Portable 3rd, I honestly do feel that Tri G is much tougher than P3, at least where I am (village HR3). It's kind of in line with the original Tri IMO, but I'll have to get to the upper ranks to really judge things.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, if you can provide us with more details I dare say it will much appreciated.

Since you're at it, is it by any chance possible to import save files from Tri?

Glad to know the game is still challenging up to Tri levels, and hopefully they put a ton of high rank missions in it.

Ah, by the way, enjoy the game, you lucky §|¢£♭♪©®! :p

Impressions, about 20 hours in:

-Frankenstick is comfortable. The stick itself feels a little bit too far to the right (no helping this), but I am surprised how much better my hands feel when using it. Biggest plus for me are the ZL and ZR buttons, which are comfortable as hell (allowing you to relax your index fingers...) and MH maps them to normal L and R by default. On the downside, the fucker is big and ugly.

-I had no difficulty with Tri and no difficulty with 3rd Portable (town quests), and I'm having no difficulty with this. I can't comment on the difference in difficulty between Tri and 3rd being talked about here because I honestly thought Tri was easier, but maybe it is just because I haven't played it in a long time. Anyway, no real difficulty yet. The biggest difficulty is...

-Fucking water fights. I hated them in Tri and I hate them in 3G. If you aren't using Frankenstick, good luck being very precise. Even using Frankenstick, these fights can be such a crapshoot. It's not "this is hard", it is "this is frustrating".

-If you are expecting some grand new changes, don't hold your breath -- the first 20 hours of the game have been EXACTLY the same as Tri (story, locale, everything) with a few 3rd monsters (Ragnatora, Doberuberuku, Aoashira, Hapurubokka, etc) thrown in here and there.

-This includes many annoying things that were fixed later in 3rd --- they are still 'Tri' here, unfixed. For example, there is no fourth "box" page (normal three pages only) and there is no cat to send your stuff back once per mission. Feels bad, man.

-The new guild area is beautiful, colorful, and looks great. I haven't done any of the quests, but I noticed there is a desk with time-trial quests, which then hosts a scoreboard of your best times vs. all the hunters you have street-passed with. Pretty cool addition.

-Again, I won't comment on 3D because I have never liked (or used) 3D in any 3DS game -- the only comment I will post here is that when I tested 3D, I got some "double-vision" blur with a lot of item name text. (Nothing else, just the letters). Wouldn't go away no matter what I did with the slider. Again, might just be me, or this might be a normal 3DS thing in some games, again, I never use 3D outside of a brief test.

Also, just my own experience, but I went to about 7 game stores today (I usually make my rounds on Sunday to see what I can find) and none of them were sold out of 3G. None of them had the 3G-slider packs, however.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Thanks for sharing your impressions, if you can provide us with more details I dare say it will much appreciated.

Since you're at it, is it by any chance possible to import save files from Tri?

Glad to know the game is still challenging up to Tri levels, and hopefully they put a ton of high rank missions in it.

Ah, by the way, enjoy the game, you lucky §|¢£♭♪©®! :p

no, you can't import Tri saves, which is a pain in the ass since you have to build up Moga village all over again... I'd rather be playing online or doing some high rank quests but I gotta get through all of this first. :/

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
FWIW I find water battles much easier with the target camera. It always aims you at the monster. I don't find the utter water battles any more difficult either way.

Or you could... don't know... reduce the brightness and turn 3D off.

Yes, I actually never play at max brightness, but it's still an issue for me.

As for turning 3D off, isn't that supposed to be a nice feature, why should I do whitout?!

Purchasing a 3DS to play in 2D frankly doesn't make much sense to me.

Are you seriously going to be playing for 5 hours straight outside home without access to an USB port or a power outlet? For some reference, I was a 3DS meeting yesterday and after 4 hours of multiplayer Mario Kart and Tetris nonstop most people still had one bar of battery left.

I don't play much on a daily basis, but when I happen to be much involved into a game, I play much more than 5 hours in a row, lately I have been playing Okami and for a few days I literally could not come off my Wii, I almost finished it in 3-4 days.

With Mario kart DS on my original Phat DS it was somehow an issue, and I only played offline.

Playing MHTri I usually have pretty long sessions, I spent days trying to slay Barroth and Rathian, just to set an example, and I can easily see the same thing happening with 3G, and although I usually play at home, I don't buy the "You can always play with charger plugged in" argument.
Back in the day when PSP was having the same battery draining issue, I didn't buy that argument, by the same token I just don't buy it now with 3DS, a flaw is still a flaw regardless.

You should take also in serious consideration that wireless - both online and local - on DS/3DS is much demanding, whereas on Wii this issue was non-existent.
On top of that, I feel MH3G is more "battery-draining" than Mario kart 7, as it has more complex graphics.

Edit: or you could get one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-re...rgency-battery-pack-charger-w-adapters-104179

Where you can plug pretty much anything able to draw power from the USB.

Yes, I already saw this thingy before, in fact it seems quite good and I would definitely buy it, hope it's working with the Slider add-on though.

FWIW I find water battles much easier with the target camera. It always aims you at the monster. I don't find the utter water battles any more difficult either way.

It definitely helps as far as pointing you in the right direction. I welcome the addition of the target camera, definitely.

I'm quoting just you but the following question of course is addressed as well to Oichi, Twentytwo22 and whoever is currently playing the game:

Is 3D feature of any help?

I mean, on Tri I often missed to hit monsters on account of mere visual miscalculations, in water levels but not only, so hopefully playing TriG in 3D is a tad easier with regard to this facet of the game, isn't it?

Top Bottom