• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

BTW, how much overlap is there in content up until Ceadeus with Tri? I mean, I'm definitely buying it either way (they need to hurry up and announce the localization!) and I'll be maining a different weapon so things should feel fresh enough, but I'm still curious.

100% overlap, plus a few of the 3rd monsters (Doboruberuku, Aoashira, Hapurubokka, couple more). But through Cadeus, the game is basically Tri. After that, though, come high-rank village quests, which weren't in Tri at all, and are pretty good. I'm currently on the second tier of those.

Apenheul

100% overlap, plus a few of the 3rd monsters (Doboruberuku, Aoashira, Hapurubokka, couple more). But through Cadeus, the game is basically Tri. After that, though, come high-rank village quests, which weren't in Tri at all, and are pretty good. I'm currently on the second tier of those.

In terms of difficulty would you say MH3G is closer to Tri or to P3rd?

Luigiv

So the Narga is real, I think MH3G is able to top MHP2G in terms of monster count.

Hah, it's not even close. MHP2G had every single 1st and 2nd gen monster plus even a couple from Frontier. It's roster was huge (especially so if you don't count subspecies).

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
So the Narga is real, I think MH3G is able to top MHP2G in terms of monster count.

Some information about the new Narga....

- It teleports instead of just jumping like the normal Narga
- It "reloads" its spikes by whirrling up its tail
- When it does the tail slam attack, spikes shoot out and cause poison.... :eek:
- It can do the tail slam attack three times in a row

Prepare to die? lol

In terms of difficulty would you say MH3G is closer to Tri or to P3rd?

Probably Tri, although I don't seem to recall the rift between Tri and 3rd being as big as some people here make it out to be (I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying I don't remember exactly how different the difficulty was).

For example, the town Jhen Moran fight in 3G is definitely harder than the one in 3rd (which was a joke), but I'm not sure if that is because this Jhen Moran is "high rank" whereas the one in 3rd wasn't.

For me, a Longsword/Switchaxe/SnS user, most fights so far have taken 10-20 minutes. The first time I fought Ganototosu (and maybe Sakura Rathian) were more like 25. Granted, I have fought 95% of these bosses hundreds upon hundreds of times already, so I already know how to absolutely destroy them with each of my weapons.

Maybe an Ad Hoc Channel for Wii? :3

Or they'll just add online to it like they did with Tri for the Wii...I'm really not worried about the US version not having online. This was the same situation with MHTri AND with Tatsunoko vs Capcom, both Capcom games on Nintendo systems. Online is much bigger in the west so I don't see why they wouldn't add it in

Jonnyram

Or they'll just add online to it like they did with Tri for the Wii...I'm really not worried about the US version not having online. This was the same situation with MHTri AND with Tatsunoko vs Capcom, both Capcom games on Nintendo systems. Online is much bigger in the west so I don't see why they wouldn't add it in
The JP version of Tri already had online! It's not like they'll just add it for the Western release.

Tenbatsu

Some early impressions:

MH3G 3DS
- The material for the Slidepad is different, it provides a better grip
- Improved hinge and buttons
- Screen tone is warmer compared to my US set which is cooler, not sure if its the screen protector
- Japanese E shop is awesome, there's so much shit in there
- Lastly, a very very very sexy system

MH3G
- Game is nice with or without 3D effect. The jaggies is very noticeable and game is sharper with 3D on. With 3D off the game looks really soft and almost jaggies free
- The bloom is a bit overkill this time round IMO as compared to Tri, need some getting used to
- Graphic resembles Tri more than MHP3
- The smoothest MH ever, maybe at 45fps
- The loading screen is atrocious, it's just a downsized image of Tri's loading screen and its dam blurry. CGI compression is kind of bad too
- Touch panel Dpad is cool and it works better using your fingernail. Recommend to make the thing bigger and narrow it horizontally so that you are able to access the left and right with minimum effort. For me, I prefer to use the dpad below the slidepad
- Saving is a bit slow, may be faster with a faster SD card
- Monster Targeting system works really well

That will be all for now.

Tenbatsu

Akantor seems to have been temporarily debunked, but now there's rumors of a rare Lagiacrus subspecies too.
I think this is real, 冥海龙

0826436w6sf5l9hhzl1wxl.jpg

ttp://p2.ms/lz1ar

Erethian

The JP version of Tri already had online! It's not like they'll just add it for the Western release.

They added voice chat to the Western release of Tri, though. And Chris Svensson has stressed how critical online is to the success of MH in the West, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Got a lot of free time today, anyone have any requests for anything they want to see in the game? Happy to throw some footage up on YouTube.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If the sub species have new skills that make them quite different like that narga they should count though. All the dromes in 2G may as well be sub species too despite small model differences and different names (or did you already discount those? - the same goes for jaggi/baggi). And monoblos/diablos. And plesioth/lavasioth. Etc.

Luigiv

If the sub species have new skills that make them quite different like that narga they should count though. All the dromes in 2G may as well be sub species too (or did you already discount those?)

Reskins are reskins. I really don't care for subspecies at all. Such lazy design.

Jonnyram

I quite like the subspecies. It's quite fun to see a regular monster in a totally different habitat doing different shit (e.g. Agnaktor in 3rd).

squall23

Tenbatsu, this is a somewhat off topic question, but do you have any suggestions for big Japanese game forums aside from 2ch (simply because I find it so damn hard to search for stuff there)? Seeing as you keep getting new info on this game I thought maybe you'd know some since I need impressions and discussion on Inazuma Eleven Go. And I have enough Japanese reading comprehension so you don't need to worry about that.

Are all weapons and armour-sets available in the single player mode, unlike Tri?

I found it so annoying that you could acquire high-rank stuff only by playing online, let alone the toughest monsters...

Alexios

Are all weapons and armour-sets available in the single player mode, unlike Tri?

I found it so annoying that you could acquire high-rank stuff only by playing online, let alone the toughest monsters...
There's single player High Rank this time but multiplayer has G rank on top now so you'll still miss a tier if you don't play the multiplayer quests.

There's single player High Rank this time but multiplayer has G rank on top now so you'll still miss a tier if you don't play the multiplayer quests.

That's quite bad news, as far as I'm concerned, as I usually play almost single-player mode.

So, compared to Tri, as new stuff only high-rank missions are available for single-player, aren't they?
Are there enough missions to make it worth fthe purchase or those who already played Tri, by the way?

Considering local multiplayer is not wide-spread in the West, this calls for on-line implementation, should they settle to bring it outside of Japan.

I mean, they should not bother that much bringing it over to the West otherwise, at least as far as those who already played Tri are concerned, even though there may still be some potential for the expansion of the franchise.

Even in previous MH games, the highest difficulty tier was multiplayer only. You can still play G rank by yourself to unlock those sweet sweet X armor designs.

Players: 1-4 (Local Multiplayer)

Are you kidding me? It's almost 2012, this is next-gen portable (together with Vita), and stuff like that still gets stuck with Ad-Hoc, instead of wi-fi multiplayer? Someone tell me this is wrong, and you don't need to camp with other nerds in Akihabara to play this.

Tenbatsu

Tenbatsu, this is a somewhat off topic question, but do you have any suggestions for big Japanese game forums aside from 2ch (simply because I find it so damn hard to search for stuff there)? Seeing as you keep getting new info on this game I thought maybe you'd know some since I need impressions and discussion on Inazuma Eleven Go. And I have enough Japanese reading comprehension so you don't need to worry about that.

TG Bus?
bbs.tgbus.com/

But it's in Chinese thou....

Even in previous MH games, the highest difficulty tier was multiplayer only. You can still play G rank by yourself to unlock those sweet sweet X armor designs.

So, if I'm getting it right, anyway there are some G-rank missions available to be played even as a single player, right?

If it is so, it's a good thing, I'd settle for it!

So, if I'm getting it right, anyway there are some G-rank missions available to be played even as a single player, right?

If it is so, it's a good thing, I'd settle for it!

What I meant was that even though G-rank missions are meant for multiple people, you can still access and play them by yourself. Although if past Monster Hunter games are any indication, there's going to be one asshole mission in single-player that'll give you G-rank rewards for beating a gauntlet of super tough monsters.

Alexios

That's quite bad news, as far as I'm concerned, as I usually play almost single-player mode.

So, compared to Tri, as new stuff only high-rank missions are available for single-player, aren't they?
Are there enough missions to make it worth fthe purchase or those who already played Tri, by the way?

Considering local multiplayer is not wide-spread in the West, this calls for on-line implementation, should they settle to bring it outside of Japan.

I mean, they should not bother that much bringing it over to the West otherwise, at least as far as those who already played Tri are concerned, even though there may still be some potential for the expansion of the franchise.
It's got lots of new monsters not in Tri since you haven't played Portable 3rd. And you can always try to solo the multiplayer missions, but you'll need to do some super min maxing and maybe still not manage the toughest monsters since they'll probably have insane amounts of health on G rank. You could do the same in Tri, of course you had to actually connect online for that, just join missions by yourself. I dunno if they've got multiplayer (and single player) exclusive monsters like Tri either.

Edit: nm, beaten.

And you can always try to solo the multiplayer quests, but you'll need to do some super min maxing and maybe still not manage the toughest monsters since they'll probably have insane amounts of health on G rank.

Oh, I see, so it's quite impossible to beat those monsters by time limits only due to their insane amount of health, no matter how powerful is your weapon...
Sometimes the same thing occurred to me playing Tri, I was nearly there but time ran out, when you've played 50 minutes this kind of things quite upsets you, even though it's partly one of the reasons why this game is so addicting.

Anyway I think I still may want to purchase it, even if it shouldn't have online; as you pointed out I haven't played MHP3, so there's supposedly plenty of things to do for me!

Alexios

I don't know, I haven't played it, I'm just guessing. Maybe the G rank weapon stats make it possible. Of course someone can probably find a video of some Asian gamer soloing the final multiplayer boss with a naked character using kicks only or something crazy like that, but yeah, I think such things are beyond most casual fans...

Wazzim

Banned
What Ad-Hoc?

Local multiplayer.

I don't know if they're impossible, I haven't played it, I'm just guessing. Maybe the G rank weapon stats make it possible. Of course someone can probably find a video of some Asian gamer soloing the final multiplayer boss with a naked character using kicks only or something crazy like that, but yeah, I think such things are beyond most casual fans...

I had some 3rd rank G quests in Unite/2ndG that were definitely impossible (solo) without insane skill and weapons.

Top Bottom