• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

Tenbatsu

I like the HDR personally, but as for the statement in bold, no it doesn't. That the 2x1 SSAA that reduces jaggies in 2D.
I understand its the 2 X SSAA but the bloom does help in some way.

This is how the bloom looks like on the 3DS screen. It looks really good.
943655_20100202_screen023.jpg

Not as far as I can tell. Ironically, you can do it in MHP3 when playing on a Vita!
I noticed some 2nd analog option in the menu. But still that sucks.

Akainu

Ceadeus area, interesting. It's nice the Lagi have a music of its own.
That's just the music that plays when you fight at the open area at the tower. It's playing in the nargacuga video. And isn't that water tornado attack the same one the that the new dragon does in 3rd?
I really like that bracchidios lance.... :3
What does the green stuff that comes out of it do?

I have a general MH question. Assuming these games (3&4) become localized for NA, I plan on picking them up to play, but only if they are "soloable." I've never really played a MH before but always hear that the game more or less becomes impossible as you progress if you aren't playing Co-op. If that's the case, I can leave the game off my purchase list to save me head banging frustration.

Thoughts?

Well the only MH I have played is Tri and IIRC I put over 200 hours into that purely single player and didn't ever 'finish' it. I didn't go online once and I pretty much loved every minute and don't especially feel that I have missed out by not getting to the end of the game. I was going to get back into it but [assuming this is localised] I intend to get the 3DS iteration and put what I learnt in Tri into that.

Now your mileage with regard to single player and finishing games may vary so take what you will from that :). If you have a Wii perhaps you might consider renting, borrowing or picking up cheap a copy of Tri to see if it's your cup of tea? Even if you really take to the game you could then shift over to the 3DS iteration as I intend to. The fact that you ask the question in the first place suggests that you are intrigued by the MH games. I was too and decided to give Tri a go on impulse and that worked out really well for me as I had a blast with it. If you do, I hope you do too :).

Tenbatsu

What does the green stuff that comes out of it do?
It's a new element: Explosion. Not very sure about the details but I reckon it works like Bracchidios's green discharge? Explode after a while?

The youtube comments stated that the lagi rare species quest will be available at HR70.

corporateslave

Neo Member
All,

Thanks for the replies. I'll likely pick up Tri then, come its hopefully inevitable NA release. I am intrigued by the series so hopefully the wait isn't too long till its released stateside.

Tenbatsu

Another look at Lagi G armor:
AU7Ah.jpg

Skills: Critical Draw, Focus, Weakness Effectiveness, AWAKEN!!! OMG the best skill ever is back!!!! Holy cow!

Just so everyone knows, I just completed the survey on Club Nintendo JP for this game, and one of the questions was basically "Did you ever play MH2nd or 3rd using AdHoc party for the Playstation 3?"

Could be a hint at something.

Luigiv

Just so everyone knows, I just completed the survey on Club Nintendo JP for this game, and one of the questions was basically "Did you ever play MH2nd or 3rd using AdHoc party for the Playstation 3?"

Could be a hint at something.
Well it's impossible for the Wii/Wii U to do an adhoc party type thing without the ethernet adaptor that nobody has in the first place. So they're not considering that.

If anything they may be considering an online patch/rerelease/4 and they're simply assessing how many people actually play online with their handheld editions. Or at least that's my take.

Well it's impossible for the Wii/Wii U to do an adhoc party type thing without the ethernet adaptor that nobody has in the first place. So they're not considering that.

If anything they may be considering an online patch/rerelease/4 and they're simply assessing how many people actually play online with their handheld editions. Or at least that's my take.

Yeah, it's definitely too late now, but at least they see what a lot of people want. They also asked what features I would like in 4, and of course I put online play!

Emitan

I probably won't play much until after the 17th because my best friend is in town until then and we need to maximize our time together.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I never found out last time i was curious but to what degree does Awaken add elemental damage ? Is it substantial ? I assume from the zomg it's adding a fair bit of bite (?)

Crit on unsheath is a god send for multiplayer Great Sword - efficient damage dealing ahoy without lifting people into the air. :)

Tenbatsu

I never found out last time i was curious but to what degree does Awaken add elemental damage ? Is it substantial ? I assume from the zomg it's adding a fair bit of bite (?)

Crit on unsheath is a god send for multiplayer Great Sword - efficient damage dealing ahoy without lifting people into the air. :)

Basically it adds element to non element weapons. Eg. Odyssey will have water element with the awaken skill :)

Atk 252 Awaken Water element 350!

DCharlie

Coolio - cheers

finally got myself a copy - had been holding off incase there was some "Xmas ruse" where by i wasn't supposed to get a copy because someone had it for me. But that wasn't the case.

Low level Jaggi scum on warning ! ;)

rosjos44

Hi All, How is the game? anything worth noting that is better than the previous handheld iterations ? or that you would like to see?

john tv

Strange (?) thing happened the other day while playing with Oichi -- during the Rathian/Rathalos urgent, we killed Rathian, but kept fighting Rathalos as the two were in the same area... Finally Rathalos leaves, and we turn around to carve Rathian and she's gone. :/ Is this normal? Am I just forgetting how it worked? I could've sworn downed large monsters stick around for carving... Is that not the case? Or is it just diff. in 3G?

Strange (?) thing happened the other day while playing with Oichi -- during the Rathian/Rathalos urgent, we killed Rathian, but kept fighting Rathalos as the two were in the same area... Finally Rathalos leaves, and we turn around to carve Rathian and she's gone. :/ Is this normal? Am I just forgetting how it worked? I could've sworn downed large monsters stick around for carving... Is that not the case? Or is it just diff. in 3G?
From my experience in MH3, that's how dual quests work. Monsters do disappear a lot faster than usual.

Tenbatsu

So I got my Slidepad while am on vacation in Hong Kong and frankly speaking, I really like the feel of it. Now I have two sets of touch panel controls, one with slidepad and one without.

The slidepad makes the 3DS feels more like a console, mainly due to the grip and it certainly promotes long session play. I also prefer using the bigger shoulder buttons for running and centering. The second analog for camera control is excellent, however I feel that it is a pity that you are unable to map it to attack like the original MH.

Currently am at Star 5 of village quest at 31 hours and I have to say that this might be the best MH game yet. My only complaint will be the lack of online.

john tv

So I got my Slidepad while am on vacation in Hong Kong and frankly speaking, I really like the feel of it. Now I have two sets of touch panel controls, one with slidepad and one without.

The slidepad makes the 3DS feels more like a console, mainly due to the grip and it certainly promotes long session play. I also prefer using the bigger shoulder buttons for running and centering. The second analog for camera control is excellent, however I feel that it is a pity that you are unable to map it to attack like the original MH.

Currently am at Star 5 of village quest at 31 hours and I have to say that this might be the best MH game yet. My only complaint will be the lack of online.
Sounds like we're around the same place (I cleared star 5 and am about to get the
Ancient Mask
to move on to fight
Ceadeus
). I'm HR3 in port quests, so my overall clock is around 40 hours.

Digging it a lot so far, but can't help but wish I were playing it on a big-screen and with online...!

Tenbatsu

Sounds like we're around the same place (I cleared star 5 and am about to get the
Ancient Mask
to move on to fight
Ceadeus
). I'm HR3 in port quests, so my overall clock is around 40 hours.

Digging it a lot so far, but can't help but wish I were playing it on a big-screen and with online...!
At least you still have people to play with, am all alone in this one. My hunting buddies are not moving to the 3DS :(

fr4nz

I love Monster Hunter 3G (as every other MH before), I've only put 15hrs in it but here's a list of what I dislike in 3G atm :

- "now loading" ... wtf, am i playing on a cartridge or what?! (ok i know that the ds doesn't actually adress directly the rom so there's memory transfert ... but still!!!)

- the low screen resolution (lower than the psp) made the kanjis harder to read (blurry), and they resized some icon too. Almost everything look smaller.

- I hate the useless usage of the double screen : when I transfert item to the box, it start on the upper screen, then I have to choose the quantity and confirm on the lower screen ... why?!

- Why I have to press X to preview weapons and armors ? There's 2 screens godamnit! it should be displayed as soon as I select one.

- I really hate the 3DS's start button ... I hate the feel of it (always have to look where to push) and in MH, you have to use it every 2 minutes :/

Otherwise, really good game, and it really seems harder than 3rd ... I'm not sure I will be able to finish it alone :S

DCharlie

- Why I have to press X to preview weapons and armors ? There's 2 screens godamnit! it should be displayed as soon as I select one.

i assumed this was to address the Japanese player complaint that they didn't want certain armours/weapons "spoiled" until they could actually build them.

Yeah - i know that sounds a bit crazy - but there you go. MH3rdP had the same thing.

Got the game yesterday, and only did the prologue, but it's already a different experience from other MHs, as my main character is a female! Previously I would only use male characters, but I decided to finally change the experience a bit.
I just hope the armor sets will look good in their female version.

Top Bottom