• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

Btw, for as lame as I found that new boss Ganototosu to be, I loved the Brakidios (cover monster) fight. Difficulty is good, fight is very fun, mechanics are new and not just two monsters smashed together (Ganototosu is sort of Lagi+Agnaktor...). One of my new favorite MH monsters ever.

Ridley327

Well, we've fought monsters that are about as big as a mountain, so it seems logical that at some point we'd fight one that was part volcano.

fates

any postings for the Barioth X armor (female)?

Also wondering if the the old X armors from 2G carried over as is...

cvxfreak

I remember Tenbatsu driving me around Singapore in the evening nearly one year ago and we were talking about what Tri G would be and if the 3DS would get its own entry in the series.

Time flies :D

john tv

Btw, for as lame as I found that new boss Ganototosu to be, I loved the Brakidios (cover monster) fight. Difficulty is good, fight is very fun, mechanics are new and not just two monsters smashed together (Ganototosu is sort of Lagi+Agnaktor...). One of my new favorite MH monsters ever.

Ganototos (Plesioth) isn't new, he just wasn't in Tri. He's been around since MH1.

Not a fan, personally. Pales in comparison to most of the Tri/P3 monsters.

Tenbatsu

I remember Tenbatsu driving me around Singapore in the evening nearly one year ago and we were talking about what Tri G would be and if the 3DS would get its own entry in the series.

Time flies :D
Wow it's been a year already! One year older and wiser :D
We can meet again when ya here again :)

Back to the topic, MH3G graphics sure is beautiful, I think it might even put the Wii ver to shame. Tri does have higher texture quality but MH3G looks more next gen with the new shaders and shadows. Yeah as what john tv mentioned, the torch effect is terrible and the caves are not dark anymore. Difficulty wise it's definitely the numbered series and not the portable.

I still find the 3DS screen too small for MH. Hope there's a way to connect the 3DS to a monitor or TV.... And no online sucks. I WISH capcom will add online to the game via downloadable content or something lol

yankee666

Wow it's been a year already! One year older and wiser :D
We can meet again when ya here again :)

Back to the topic, MH3G graphics sure is beautiful, I think it might even put the Wii ver to shame. Tri does have higher texture quality but MH3G looks more next gen with the new shaders and shadows. Yeah as what john tv mentioned, the torch effect is terrible and the caves are not dark anymore. Difficulty wise it's definitely the numbered series and not the portable.

I still find the 3DS screen too small for MH. Hope there's a way to connect the 3DS to a monitor or TV.... And no online sucks. I WISH capcom will add online to the game via downloadable content or something lol

My toughts exactly about this game. Maybe the 3DS redesign will have one bigger screen and will be on time for MH4. I also dream for an onlie patch/ add on for this game, c mon Capgod you can do it.

Ps: i just orderded the game and not the bundle :(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ganototos (Plesioth) isn't new, he just wasn't in Tri. He's been around since MH1.

i've got a phobia of fish and when Ganototos used to jump onto land in MH1 and slither around after you it used to freak me out a fair bit.

Tenbatsu

Lagi Rare species is real
zx4if.jpg

Not first in the series, dual element weapon lol
g1Vep.jpg

Tenbatsu

No idea for now. It's a G level quest thou.

Btw they removed the day and night cycle of Tri in MH3G. It's mission based now.

It's HR based, I think. If I'm getting my rumors straight Phantom Narga unlocks at HR40.

EDIT: Dark Lagiacrus is HR70, apparently. Whoever called that the fight happens in the Ceadeus cave was spot on.

fates

i've got a phobia of fish and when Ganototos used to jump onto land in MH1 and slither around after you it used to freak me out a fair bit.

and having to fight the thing gave me a fear of fish.

Seriously, Plesioth is like... the most annoying thing to deal with in MH 1 and 2.

DCharlie

watching that naruga vid - please tell me you can switch off those dialogue boxes in the bottom left.

corporateslave

Neo Member
I have a general MH question. Assuming these games (3&4) become localized for NA, I plan on picking them up to play, but only if they are "soloable." I've never really played a MH before but always hear that the game more or less becomes impossible as you progress if you aren't playing Co-op. If that's the case, I can leave the game off my purchase list to save me head banging frustration.

Thoughts?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I have a general MH question. Assuming these games (3&4) become localized for NA, I plan on picking them up to play, but only if they are "soloable." I've never really played a MH before but always hear that the game more or less becomes impossible as you progress if you aren't playing Co-op. If that's the case, I can leave the game off my purchase list to save me head banging frustration.

Thoughts?

A lot of the later quests are really tough to do solo, but it's not impossible. Especially in Portable 3rd and in Tri because you have 1 ~ 2 CPU partners that basically aggro the monsters towards them, giving you some breathing room.

I haven't tried any high rank or G rank quests in Tri G, but I know that in Portable 2G and 3rd, high level quests that I thought were impossible solo slowly became doable the more I tried.

Thoughts?

They are but it's going to be a challenge. The newer games have cpu partners for you. They help attract the monsters every now and then taking some of the pressure off.

Nothing beats the feeling of a well implemented hunt. When you've done your planning and taken the monster down it feels like a great accomplishment, because it is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Game still amazes me on just how good it looks for the 3ds especially considering it's running at 60fps too. It looks insanely good in and of itself, but add on the 60fps and it's sort of mind blowing.

If only I could get an online Phantasy Star game on the 3ds that looked this good!!!

john tv

Game still amazes me on just how good it looks for the 3ds especially considering it's running at 60fps too. It looks insanely good in and of itself, but add on the 60fps and it's sort of mind blowing.

If only I could get an online Phantasy Star game on the 3ds that looked this good!!!
I agree it looks good, but I'm pretty sure it's not 60fps. I think Tenbatsu had it right -- something like 45fps maybe?

Tenbatsu

I realized that the frame rate will drop when there are a few monsters on the screen. Something like maybe 6 jaggies and 2 big monsters.

DCharlie

I haven't tried any high rank or G rank quests in Tri G, but I know that in Portable 2G and 3rd, high level quests that I thought were impossible solo slowly became doable the more I tried.

yup - the main issue starts to become whether you've got enough time to take a monster apart or not (within reason, i've solo'ed most things designed for multi but not even thought about trying to solo any of the ancients)

Tenbatsu

The bloom looks annoying.
The bloom in MH3G is subjective, its either you like the style or you don't. It does makes the game looks smoother and jaggies free with 3D off. I was skeptical at first but now I think it fits really well.

Got a question to ask for those with the frankenstick, are you able to match the attack to the right slidepad instead? Like the original Monster Hunter? That is my preferred control method.

Luigiv

It's kind of absurd that literally everything underwater is a shade of blue.

It's the video camera. The predominant blue of the image is confusing the sensor and messing up the colour balancing. On the actual system, whilst everything is indeed blue tinted (as you would expect), it's nowhere near that extreme.

Here's a direct feed screenshot, to demonstrate my point.

yo1om.jpg

The bloom in MH3G is subjective, its either you like the style or you don't. It does makes the game looks smoother and jaggies free with 3D off. I was skeptical at first but now I think it fits really well.

Got a question to ask for those with the frankenstick, are you able to match the attack to the right slidepad instead? Like the original Monster Hunter? That is my preferred control method.

I like the HDR personally, but as for the statement in bold, no it doesn't. That the 2x1 SSAA that reduces jaggies in 2D.

john tv

Not as far as I can tell. Ironically, you can do it in MHP3 when playing on a Vita!

Luigiv

Not as far as I can tell. Ironically, you can do it in MHP3 when playing on a Vita!

Does the Vita let you map specific button combinations to specific directions on the right stick or have you just seriously under thought your claim?

Erethian

Does the Vita let you map specific button combinations to specific directions on the right stick or have you just seriously under thought your claim?

They talked about it on the podcast. You can map the second analog to the first analog, the d-pad, or the four face buttons.

Top Bottom