• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
not with the media install ;) Once you "install" the data on the MS, the armors/weapons shows up automatically

i've got it media installed and they don't show up!
*throws psp/vita on ground*

anyways, that was the theory doing the 2ch MH rounds - that it was a requested "feature" - thought it was bonkers myself

Nop, the Start button is used to show up de menu aka accessing items, combining, etc etc ..

can it be assigned to anything else?

Tenbatsu

Game do looks better than Tri on the Wii, except for the lower polygon count. Gobul's lance shield is a perfect example of reduced geometry.

Cleared all Star 5 quests, took me 28 mins to take down Diablos, good shit!

Btw get a slidepad for this game guys, it is the most comfortable way to play. You can use ZL and ZR to pan the camera too.

fr4nz

Btw get a slidepad for this game guys, it is the most comfortable way to play. You can use ZL and ZR to pan the camera too.

I've played with it for about 1 hour yesterday, and I can confirm that it's really more comfortable. The second stick is a bonus, but you get a much more better grip and bigger shoulder buttons. (Didn't try ZL & ZR for the camera yet :) )

john tv

Game do looks better than Tri on the Wii, except for the lower polygon count. Gobul's lance shield is a perfect example of reduced geometry.

Cleared all Star 5 quests, took me 28 mins to take down Diablos, good shit!

After seeing this post, I went back and gave it another try today... I think we're just going to have to disagree on this point. :) I find it way more comfortable to play w/o the add-on. The position of the right stick is awkward (putting it right next to the buttons was such a bad idea imo), and the target camera option is way easier to deal with than trying to switch between attack buttons and the right stick (or ZL/ZR buttons, if you choose the Type 2 setup) for camera control.

Are you not using the target camera option, maybe?

Tenbatsu

After seeing this post, I went back and gave it another try today... I think we're just going to have to disagree on this point. :) I find it way more comfortable to play w/o the add-on. The position of the right stick is awkward (putting it right next to the buttons was such a bad idea imo), and the target camera option is way easier to deal with than trying to switch between attack buttons and the right stick (or ZL/ZR buttons, if you choose the Type 2 setup) for camera control.

Are you not using the target camera option, maybe?
I am using the target camera option too. In actual fact, I am using the dpad also but only for panning left as my thumb is resting just nice on it. The add on analog will be more for panning to the right. The grip is better with the add on that's for sure but other than that I think it's more of a personal preference. Frankenstick is a must for me when am playing at home :)

Yes, just like every other Capcom game on the 3DS.

I thought so, but having not played Mercenaries but looked at the back cover it didn't show the logo. SSF4 has it on the back.

So I was wondering if MH3G has it either on the back cover, or shows the logo in the game. Funny how MH3 on Wii doesn't support even Lite (which was made afterward and only used in Basara).

Seemingly this benefitted the shadows and possibily enhanced the lighting, not sure what else having only seens screens and trailers.

I wonder how SSF4 would look without the engine. The console version doesn't use it, but the game obviously REALLY benefitted from the engine.

john tv

Finally got to high-rank village quests today... Royal Ludroth subspecies is like 20 times harder than he was in MHP3. :eek: This does not bode well for me having the patience to finish the rest of the high-rank village stuff, LOL.

Large-ish single-player spoilers ahead:
Nice to see that high-rank village quests include MHP3's new area and music, but does this mean the Ludroth subspecies isn't going to ever swim? That'd be a bummer. Also, cannot believe the ending movie was completely unchanged from Tri -- how ghetto! Poor Kayamba, left out of the limelight due to sheer laziness...

Tenbatsu

Finally got to high-rank village quests today... Royal Ludroth subspecies is like 20 times harder than he was in MHP3. :eek: This does not bode well for me having the patience to finish the rest of the high-rank village stuff, LOL.

Large-ish single-player spoilers ahead:
Nice to see that high-rank village quests include MHP3's new area and music, but does this mean the Ludroth subspecies isn't going to ever swim? That'd be a bummer. Also, cannot believe the ending movie was completely unchanged from Tri -- how ghetto! Poor Kayamba, left out of the limelight due to sheer laziness...
Royal Ludroth subspecies took me 30 mins the first time round and I was like, yeah, this is how MH games should be. And it don't swim at all, I fought it in Moga Village and never once it went near the water area.

Tenbatsu

Alright I failed my first mission, Pink Rathian village high rank quest. I am wearing full set Alloy armor with DEF of 80. One hit from the tail was enough to kill me. I will get my revenge.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I thought I remembered alloy armor being crap in Tri, is it good now or did you speedrun the game in crap armor and only now have to stop and craft something decent for the first time?
Royal Ludroth subspecies took me 30 mins the first time round and I was like, yeah, this is how MH games should be. And it don't swim at all, I fought it in Moga Village and never once it went near the water area.
I hope that's not a bug or something with them putting the AI from 3rd in, which had no water, lol, that'd be some funny bs.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Well the Ludroth subspecies is a poison-based monster, so maybe it just doesn't go into the water? Who knows...

Kind of like how the Lagi subspecies apparently spends much more time on land than in the water.

DCharlie

Alright I failed my first mission, Pink Rathian village high rank quest. I am wearing full set Alloy armor with DEF of 80. One hit from the tail was enough to kill me. I will get my revenge.

... alloy... armour?

I know i'm repeating the above but is this deliberate or.... ?

john tv :

seems pretty obvious from the start that the core village stuff is dumped from Tri as is and that not much effort was put into "handheld-izing" that portion of the game. The fact i had to redo all the Moga-Village shit was a thorn in the ass i could have done without

Tenbatsu

I thought I remembered alloy armor being crap in Tri, is it good now or did you speedrun the game in crap armor and only now have to stop and craft something decent for the first time?
Alloy armor is not crap in Tri, it was one of the early decent armors. In MH3G the skills are still about the same, Critical Eye +1, Wind Res +1, Speed Sharpening. I mean look at that combination. Add a charm and I can have Trap Master.

Alloy Greaves is also great as it provide torso multiplier till Uragaan Greaves comes along. Uragaan Greaves was kind of a game breaking armor in Tri. High DEF with Torso multiplier. Not sure if it will be the same at G level in MH3G.

As for how I play MH games, I will usually wear an early armor till the point where I know its impossible for me to proceed anymore to determine the game difficulty. And yes, MH3G difficulty is certainly on the same level as Tri :)

Jonnyram: I finished Portable 3rd using only Jaggi armor.

ShinNL

seems pretty obvious from the start that the core village stuff is dumped from Tri as is and that not much effort was put into "handheld-izing" that portion of the game. The fact i had to redo all the Moga-Village shit was a thorn in the ass i could have done without
Ah, so you finally got the game?

DCharlie

Ah, so you finally got the game?

yup, bought it a week or two back, just slowly starting into it. Only have about 3 hours on the clock, but everything as expected.

Looks nice, plays nice, not playing with frankenstick and - as always - starting with Great Sword. It's been the ever present since MH1 and though i tried and enjoyed other weapons, i just can't break away from it.

It's like a comfy pair of slippers.

john tv

yup, bought it a week or two back, just slowly starting into it. Only have about 3 hours on the clock, but everything as expected.

Looks nice, plays nice, not playing with frankenstick and - as always - starting with Great Sword. It's been the ever present since MH1 and though i tried and enjoyed other weapons, i just can't break away from it.

It's like a comfy pair of slippers.
I know the feeling. I go hammer every time, but lately I've been getting a bit curious about some of the other weapons. Each one controls so differently! Might give Switch Axe a try next...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You're missing out not trying other stuff. Great sword has been my main since I graduated from the sword and shield but it's still fun to kick ass with a longsword or dual sword and stuff... I suck hard with a gun/lance though and doubt I could beat anything tough with a hammer/horn, switch axe, or ranged weapons before practicing more. Speaking with only pre-TriG experience.

I need to play this again. Put 50 hours into it like first week, but really got burnt out as a good majority of that 50 hours was verbatim of past experience. Also wish some of my friends here would get 3DS'.

Boney

Banned
Yeah I mained a GS on Tri and learned to use all the weapons later on, and started FU with a GS as well.

So for this one I'll probably mix it up and go gunner and may the lords have mercy on me or with with Gunlance or dual swords.

Haven't watched many clear gameplay vids so that's the first time I noticed the crazy bloom wasn't just something added to the screenshots to give them the 'bullshot' look. Seems distracting but I guess the gameplay will overshadow that when the time comes to play it.

Alloy armor is not crap in Tri, it was one of the early decent armors. In MH3G the skills are still about the same, Critical Eye +1, Wind Res +1, Speed Sharpening. I mean look at that combination. Add a charm and I can have Trap Master
Is there a list of armor skill changes compiled anywhere yet? I heard that Lagi armor got
nerfed :(

DCharlie

You're missing out not trying other stuff. Great sword has been my main since I graduated from the sword and shield but it's still fun to kick ass with a longsword or dual sword and stuff... I suck hard with a gun/lance though and doubt I could beat anything tough with a hammer/horn, switch axe, or ranged weapons before practicing more. Speaking with only pre-TriG experience.

well i did have a recent fling with the switch axe (14 outings :/) and i got used to it pretty quickly but it just didn't feel right (though it's the coolest looking weapon!) i also started off with dual swords in 3rdP and have 148 hunts logged to it - it was fun but things started feeling like races against time for a couple of enemies when solo'ing in that i wasn't going to die but taking it down was long and a bit dull after a while.

I've tried everything (with the exception of Horns) but not extensively - i wonder if they'll bring something new to the table in MH4 and, if so, what? I wonder if there's room for a few more dedicated support class? I know Horn is well on the way - but wondering about something like a Sapper with increased/exclusive bomb/trap/diversion abilities?

Anyways - The wife plays as a lancer/gunner - she was previously just a gunner and she's enjoyed mixing it up. She had suggested i try out the bow. Perhaps i'll give it a whirl.

I know the feeling. I go hammer every time, but lately I've been getting a bit curious about some of the other weapons. Each one controls so differently! Might give Switch Axe a try next...

heh, the fun part is mixing it up online and getting into a team where you get used to each other. Our instances of lifting have gone down significantly over the years! lol. But there's still at least once or twice when you start that big swing and you've got your positioning wrong and you launch someone else skyward. :)

Alloy armor is not crap in Tri, it was one of the early decent armors. In MH3G the skills are still about the same, Critical Eye +1, Wind Res +1, Speed Sharpening. I mean look at that combination. Add a charm and I can have Trap Master

all this said about Alloy Armour - this is what i used for a hell of a long time in the early stages and i was mocked , no, SHAMED out of using it and sorting out my per element/enemy/gather/create sets. I was just being lazy and i'd boosted the armour value up to as high as it could go. Chrst knows what the negative to electricity is on that sucker. Jinogre laughed.

What's the over/under on this including online play if and when it reaches Stateside?

My only experience with MH has been MH3Tri and the online really made it for me.

DCharlie

I finished village quest with Jaggi armor and online with Jaggi S hehe :)

Arena eviljho black tigrex and naruga included right?! :O
How the feck do you do that in Jaggi? :O

even finishing online with Jaggi S online is ridiculous!! lol. Crazy. Did you go through the game once then go back or did you just do it all from scratch? Insanity.

how long does that even take?! and i assume it's pretty much still one hit one kill - especially given it's weak against pretty much every element.

What's the over/under on this including online play if and when it reaches Stateside?

My only experience with MH has been MH3Tri and the online really made it for me.

I honestly can't see them putting online into the 3DS version. Wouldn't it be a collosal effort and wouldn't it piss off the Japanese community? I guess they could rerelease it in Japan but even that's taking the water a bit! Unless of course there a XLink style hook that perhaps could be included?

Tenbatsu

even finishing online with Jaggi S online is ridiculous!! lol. Crazy. Did you go through the game once then go back or did you just do it all from scratch? Insanity.

how long does that even take?! and i assume it's pretty much still one hit one kill - especially given it's weak against pretty much every element.
That arena quest was the only one thats challenging in MHP3 village quest which I need to use a high rank weapon.

From scratch. I can't remember how long I took, think about 200 hours. The game was not even that hard except for the last few quests hence I don't feel the need to mix amours.

But I can tell that I will not be able to complete MH3G solo now that it's on the same difficulty as Tri. Jhen Moran or those dual monsters arena online will be a pain in the ass to solo.

DCharlie

Crazy - from wife i'm hearing Japanese players complaint is the game is too easy!

What is it about Royal L pink takes it from something you could do with basic equipment to something that kills you now? You had to have the same one hit problem in 3rd surely?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Weren't there rumors about being released in Q2 in Europe, at least? Rumors originated here on Gaf... Just, I don't know if release periods from Edge, or ONM, are reliable at all...I think these are just some previsions, nothing completely confirmed. Then, maybe I'm wrong...but I don't trust at 100% release periods from these articles.

Peru

Well we've had two supposedly reliable magazines give the same launch 'date' for Europe now, still no statement from Capcom but you have to assume they're basing it on some info.

Weren't there rumors about being released in Q2 in Europe, at least? Rumors originated here on Gaf... Just, I don't know if release periods from Edge, or ONM, are reliable at all...I think these are just some previsions, nothing completely confirmed. Then, maybe I'm wrong...but I don't trust at 100% release periods from these articles.

The last known "date" I know of is Fall 2012... can't remember from where though... damn my aging brain

Ahh.. found the site where i read about it...

http://gematsu.com/2011/10/monster-hunter-tri-g-coming-to-europe

Its a page scan right out of ONM...

ShinNL

I honestly can't see them putting online into the 3DS version. Wouldn't it be a collosal effort and wouldn't it piss off the Japanese community? I guess they could rerelease it in Japan but even that's taking the water a bit! Unless of course there a XLink style hook that perhaps could be included?
This is a huge problem. The only reason I played MH on PSP so much is because I could Xlink it. As far as I know 3DS is not Xlinkable due to the nature of the wireless. The best scenario for gamers in the West (and this also meaning the success of the franchise) is to add online, without any needed devices (like Wii U to pass through or something). I'm not sure about pissing off, Tri was also P2P in Japan and F2P in the West. For the West you really need to have a way to play online, otherwise the sales will disappoint greatly. Hooking new people is their goal here.

If they do add it I'm pretty sure it would piss off everyone with a Japanese 3DS on GAF I guess :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I know I was hoping for a summer release, hopefully it'll get a September release...

True, but maybe they will be able to include an online mode with the later release - it would make more sense that way. After their last statements about MH in the west, i cant see them bothering to release it in the west without online support.

This is a huge problem. The only reason I played MH on PSP so much is because I could Xlink it. As far as I know 3DS is not Xlinkable due to the nature of the wireless. The best scenario for gamers in the West (and this also meaning the success of the franchise) is to add online, without any needed devices (like Wii U to pass through or something). I'm not sure about pissing off, Tri was also P2P in Japan and F2P in the West. For the West you really need to have a way to play online, otherwise the sales will disappoint greatly. Hooking new people is their goal here.

If they do add it I'm pretty sure it would piss off everyone with a Japanese 3DS on GAF I guess :p

But is that not the same case as when mhtri came out in the west.. it was Pay to play online in Japan and because of the "lack of popularity" became free to play for the west? It doesn't seem like it has harmed the series in japanese gamers minds because of that...

I think it did well (monster hunter tri).. not spectacularly.. but good enough to warrant them coming to some compromise when a game from the series comes west...

i have 200 hrs on tri without going online

I do think they will add some kind of online to the game to encourage more gamers to the series in the west, if not with 3g.. but definately mh4

Top Bottom