• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

Wazzim

Banned
it pops up with MT Framework Mobile logo on launch - so it's definitely MT Framework. Don't think there's much debate on that one

Interesting, didn't know that. All MT Framework games I played (from Lost Planet to RE) use some kind of weird filter on the textures, making low resolution textures look good. Does TriG do that too?

New Plesioth looks amazing btw (I still hate him)

Rhod

frankly no!

i can tell 60 from 30 pretty much all the time - or at least i think i can.

But looking at this my brain seems to scramble. I'm almost inclined to just say it IS 30fps and there's some other techniques fooling my brain into thinking it's 60fps

Or more likely the frame rate is super variable and my brain is filling in the gaps and giving the illusion of a higher frame rate.

Yes, I subscribe to this uncertain-but-usually-certain-about-these-things frame of mind. It's super silky smooth, but it could be 30 and we're just smitten with the prettiness.

EDIT: On the other hand, there really isn't that much going on in the stage and the monsters aren't very complex. It's efficient use of resources, and there is nothing going on that should make us think 60fps is a godly achievement so much as an admirable and respectable one.

Either way, it's good looking and smooth and has tiny load times between sections. Hyperbole valve still firing.

Wazzim

Banned
oops - thanks -
i seem to have time travelled :

http://www.dcharlie.com/mh5g6.avi

Yeah I'm 99% that's 60FPS, best would be to look around with a bowgun's scope. 60FPS is easier to see through 1st person IMO.
It could also be that some animations are rendered at 30FPS and/or it's running at a variable framerate. (I think the latter from what I experience in PC games)

All in all, FUCKING AWESOME if true. First 60FPS MH outside of PC, all hail Capcom.

Yeah I'm 99% that's 60FPS, best would be to look around with a bowgun's scope. 60FPS is easier to see through 1st person IMO.
It could also be that some animations are rendered at 30FPS and/or it's running at a variable framerate. (I think the latter from what I experience in PC games)

All in all, FUCKING AWESOME if true. First 60FPS MH outside of PC, all hail Capcom.

That makes sense, since Tri's animations were designed for 30FPS rather than 60FPS. It's like the effect you get with Perfect Dark XBLA (where some animations are butter smooth and some are really framey since they weren't designed with the 60FPS you get from the 360 version in mind)

muu

People thought Zelda 3DS was 60 fps at first too. Are you guys sure on this?

As I said previously, IMHO it's variable FPS. DCharlie's first few videos are outside shots where I definitely noticed some reduction in fps while playing. It's smooth, but not 60fps smooth.

Down inside the caves is where I definitely saw it being smooth enough to consider 60fps. There urukususu's sliding attacks looked like what you'd see in Costco TVs where they're showing disney movies with frame interpolation enabled.

I never turned 3D off though, so maybe 2D performance is slightly better across the board.

Edit: animation at lower fps makes sense. If the powerslide is separate from regular monstern animation it makes sense that that part looked ridiculously smooth compared to other actions.

yankee666

So i just tried the demo and ive to say i love the game. I Just cant wait to have it on my hands!!!! Hopefully the 3DS bundle, but im staring to loose my hope since i havent receive any notification from Nippon Yasan in a week :(.

I dont have any complaints for the game, but a bigger screen and 2nd analog could be heaven. Bring on the redesing already Nintendo!!! :)

Remember when Capcom first showed off Lost Planet and they did a presentation on how MT worked, which gives the illusion of high framerate but with a much lower hit than actually running at a true 60fps. Lost Planet looked really really smooth on 360, maybe this uses similar techniques...

Trying to find the presentation slide explaining how it works.

Remember when Capcom first showed off Lost Planet and they did a presentation on how MT worked, which gives the illusion of high framerate but with a much lower hit than actually running at a true 60fps. Lost Planet looked really really smooth on 360, maybe this uses similar techniques...

Trying to find the presentation slide explaining how it works.

That used per object motion blur to simulate higher FPS. MH3G does not use this motion blur.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Convinced its variable frame rate and it's giving the feel of a higher frame rate after another game during commute.

Anyways, by the by really, the core message is that some one like me who was borderline annoyed by the choice of platform has , once again, misread what the 3ds could do in Capcoms hands.

Happy for 3G but now incredibly excited for MH4

Rhod

The 'you died, get taken back to camp' was I'm pretty sure running at 30, so I'm now inclined to suggest it all runs at 30 2D and 3D. On the flip-side, the particle effects to show status changes (I think that's what they are) really look like 60 so :/

The point really I guess is that it looks pretty neat, and again I have to say that it looks like the priorities were focused on making it smooth and quick (the distance of the highest level of texture detail on the floor is not far at all, for example, but you only notice if you look for it).

Still buying, just for the pretties.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So i just tried the demo and ive to say i love the game. I Just cant wait to have it on my hands!!!! Hopefully the 3DS bundle, but im staring to loose my hope since i havent receive any notification from Nippon Yasan in a week :(.

I dont have any complaints for the game, but a bigger screen and 2nd analog could be heaven. Bring on the redesing already Nintendo!!! :)

A bigger screen would be loverly.

Can't wait for saturday ><

DCharlie

occured to me last night that the Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3G/4 might be the same as the 3DS version.

Two screens supported, playable in 2D... and 3D
MT Framework so possible to have the same code running but spruced up a la MH HD
Transfarting for the Nintendo world
and (as an aside) DS games on VC, playable on a big screen and on 3DS ( :O )

<businesshat> revenue streamzzzzzzz </businesshat>

DCharlie

oh god lol.

I'll leave it as is but yes - that shouldn't be transfarting.

Now i have an image of Kojima farting on his PS3 then on his Vita :/

"I've transfarted from PS3 to Vita... look! Check out the Cloud! *wafts* "

Tenbatsu

I think they are short handed and out on a trip. They did mentioned on their website and facebook.

What graphical reductions? As far as we have seen in screenshots and videos, it uses the same assets as the Wii version! (in fact, it's graphically enhanced thanks to proper HDR lighting and real shadows/self shadowing)

All that at (effectively) 4x the FPS of the Wii version (60 FPS x 2 VS 30FPS x 1). Insanity!
From what I can tell, MH3G is a port of MHP3 with added shaders and effects.

gkryhewy

oh god lol.

I'll leave it as is but yes - that shouldn't be transfarting.

Now i have an image of Kojima farting on his PS3 then on his Vita :/

"I've transfarted from PS3 to Vita... look! Check out the Cloud! *wafts* "

Honestly "transfarring" is Kojipro at rock bottom. Even worse than lalelulio or whatever that shit was.

Kyoufu

From what I can tell, MH3G is a port of MHP3 with added shaders and effects.

Is it really? I thought when they announced it that it would be a port of Tri plus added content. I mean, the underwater sections would have been easier that way, no?

Tenbatsu

Is it really? I thought when they announced it that it would be a port of Tri plus added content. I mean, the underwater sections would have been easier that way, no?
I do not know exactly how they ported it but from the way they reduced the geometry makes it look closer to MHP3 than MH3. For the new area in MHP3, the Mountain Stream, unless they have a more detailed model at hand, they will have no choice but to port the area from the psp version.

I guess they ported from both MH3 and MHP3 and compile them.

shinka01_p03_02_l.jpg
Picture_2.png

Left 3DS, right PSP. Dam I can't find a similar MH3 scene:(

Picked up the new Famitsu today. Here are some details: (spoilered for extra-sensitive people. Obviously no 'story'-type spoilers lol)

monsters listed: (note: Famitsu doesn't say if this is all of them or not)
Brakidios
Dosjaggi
Dosbaggi
Dosfroggi
Aoashira
Urukusus
Kurupeko
Kurupeko (ss)
Rathalos (ss)
Rathian (ss)
Boroboros
Boroboros (ss)
Rangrotra
Uragaan
Doboruberuk
Uragaan (ss)
Nargakulga
Rathian
Lagiacrus (ss)
Diablos (ss)
Ganototos
Rathalos
Ganototos (ss)
Giginox
Giginox (ss)
Barioth
Barioth (ss)
Eviljoe
Agnaktor
Royal Ludroth
Chanagabul
Haplebokka
Royal Ludroth (ss)
Jhen Moran
Jhen Moran (ss)
Lagiacrus
Jinoga
Jinoga (ss)
Agnaktor (ss)
Doboruberuk (ss)
Cadeus (nabarudeusu)

Notably, Tigrex is missing :-(

Will update more during my break.

Luigiv

I do not know exactly how they ported it but from the way they reduced the geometry makes it look closer to MHP3 than MH3. For the new area in MHP3, the Mountain Stream, unless they have a more detailed model at hand, they will have no choice but to port the area from the psp version.

I guess they ported from both MH3 and MHP3 and compile them.

shinka01_p03_02_l.jpg
Picture_2.png

Left 3DS, right PSP. Dam I can't find a similar MH3 scene:(

Umm going by that comparison, Tri G looks a fuck ton better then P3rd. Everything is higher fidelity in that 3DS shot. Polygons and textures look about half way between Tri and P3rd, so I'd wager that they took Tri's assets and down sampled them again, specifically for Tri G, as opposed to just taking P3rds assets and dumping some shaders on top.

Tenbatsu

Umm going by that comparison, Tri G looks a fuck ton better then P3rd. Everything is higher fidelity in that 3DS shot. Polygons and textures look about half way between Tri and P3rd, so I'd wager that they took Tri's assets and down sampled them again, specifically for Tri G, as opposed to just taking P3rds assets and dumping some shaders on top.
Maybe. But for Mountain Stream, I think they port it from MHP3 as I don't think they can port it from anywhere else :D

Forgot but wanted to say apologies for the mixed naming scheme in my previous post! I've never played an English monster hunter before, but I know some of the names and put them where I knew them. For the Japanese names, I either put the transliteration or for really whacky names, how it would probably sound best in English.

Also, this may have been previously known, but it looks like the town points system will be the same (or very similar) to Tri, where you go out of the town with an unlimited timer and no mission and kill monsters to gain town points to unlock various things.

Jonnyram

Maybe. But for Mountain Stream, I think they port it from MHP3 as I don't think they can port it from anywhere else :D
Porting assets and porting code are two totally different beasts. Let's not confuse matters here.

Edit: looking at that list, I can't believe they would leave out the ss of Nargakuga. Surely that will be in there. Maybe it'll be a &#24076;&#23569;&#31278; instead of &#20124;&#31278;.

Luigiv

Wow, 480 hours? I'd much rather have to use 1 AAA battery then having to constantly recharge it nightly.

Yes indeed. The nice thing about alkaline batteries is that their effective energy capacity increases as current/power draw of the device drops. So in other words, battery life increases exponentially as power draw drops (because the device is both using less energy over time and has a larger amount of available energy).

I also suspect what's happening is that the inputs on the frankenstick behave like power switches and the device only outputs IR signals when inputs are pressed (much like a TV remote). As such I assume that 480 hours figure is in fact a practical usage estimate (taking into account non-use during play) and not a continuous usage figure.

Edit: BTW This news deserves it's own thread. I'm going to make one.

Luigiv

It's just an IR reciever. Think about how long a TV remote lasts for. It shouldn't have been surprising.

Yes but you typically don't use a TV remote for more then a minute at a time and maybe only a few minutes a day. You certainly don't get 480hours of usage out of a TV remote. I'm guessing though that the IR lamp in the frankenstick is considerably lower powered then a TV remote's lamp (since it only has to project a few mm across a darkened space as opposed to a few meters in full daylight).

Porting assets and porting code are two totally different beasts. Let's not confuse matters here.

Edit: looking at that list, I can't believe they would leave out the ss of Nargakuga. Surely that will be in there. Maybe it'll be a &#24076;&#23569;&#31278; instead of &#20124;&#31278;.

There has to be more monsters --- I would hope, anyway. There is no "final" type boss on that list (Cadeus was a single player affair in Tri...) but I also noticed only two entirely new mobs were introduced in MHP2G. But looking at the monster list for 2G and comparing it to what I posted above, if that is all of them, this game seriously would pale in comparison ;(

Also, there are only 41 monsters on the list above --- there were 58 in MHP2G.

Wazzim

Banned
There has to be more monsters --- I would hope, anyway. There is no "final" type boss on that list (Cadeus was a single player affair in Tri...) but I also noticed only two entirely new mobs were introduced in MHP2G. But looking at the monster list for 2G and comparing it to what I posted above, if that is all of them, this game seriously would pale in comparison ;(

Also, there are only 41 monsters on the list above --- there were 58 in MHP2G.
2ndG was crazy in Monster content, you can't expect them to recreate that in TriG

frankly no!

i can tell 60 from 30 pretty much all the time - or at least i think i can.

But looking at this my brain seems to scramble. I'm almost inclined to just say it IS 30fps and there's some other techniques fooling my brain into thinking it's 60fps

Or more likely the frame rate is super variable and my brain is filling in the gaps and giving the illusion of a higher frame rate.

There's something off, I'm one of these guys that can see 30fps vs 60fps, and it's confusing me, the first video look clearly 60fps, the second one more or less, the last one seems 30fps....

DCharlie

There has to be more monsters

There's something off,

yeah, as discussed i was pretty sure it's variable frame rate. Yesterday i went through it again and it was "it's 60 for su.. no wait... 30... hmmm 60? ... 30?"

Now i think it's just 30 fps and the smoothness + other techniques give the impression of 60fps (the particles, the very smooth animation, the fact most moving items are distant and there's little 'close by' items)

Again, think the point is that the game looks great - the more i see it, the better and better it looks.

Tomorrow ! Or maybe even a flying get today. Akiba lunch trip, HO!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What graphical reductions? As far as we have seen in screenshots and videos, it uses the same assets as the Wii version! (in fact, it's graphically enhanced thanks to proper HDR lighting and real shadows/self shadowing)

All that at (effectively) 4x the FPS of the Wii version (60 FPS x 2 VS 30FPS x 1). Insanity!

If this is true the bar for the 3DS has been raised massively.

Top Bottom