• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

fionel

Most of the time I can tell if a game is running at 60fps or not, and Tri G definitely does not seem like it is. Just look at the background when you spin the camera around and you should see that it's not as smooth as your average fps running at 60fps.

That said the game is running smoother than its other console brethans and I'd say it's probably at around 45fps.

Is the Japanese slid pad attachment going to work okay with the 3DS from another region? I assumed it would be plug and play and went ahead and ordered one from Play Asia, I didn't think that it might be incompatible.

Korosenai

I want this game :(

Didn't it come with the sliderpad? If so, does anyone have any hands on experience with it? Is it worth it?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The main graphical reductions seem to be less geometry, which is par for the 3DS course. Same as Mario Kart - compare MK Wii to MK7 and while shaders / effects are better, and textures are better on the small screen, geometry is definitely lowered.

The best Wii games seem to toss around better geometry detail overall than say, PS2 games, especially at 60fps. 3DS geometry seems more like an average PS2 game but with far superior textures, and modern-ish shaders and effects.

Luigiv

You're certain?

Thanks.

The frankenstick is nothing more then an IR remote, I pretty much guarantee it won't be region locked. I'm not 100% certain but I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money on it.

The best Wii games seem to toss around better geometry detail overall than say, PS2 games, especially at 60fps. 3DS geometry seems more like an average PS2 game but with far superior textures, and modern-ish shaders and effects.
No shit Sherlock, welcome to 2001.

M3d10n

Most of the time I can tell if a game is running at 60fps or not, and Tri G definitely does not seem like it is. Just look at the background when you spin the camera around and you should see that it's not as smooth as your average fps running at 60fps.

That said the game is running smoother than its other console brethans and I'd say it's probably at around 45fps.

Not possible without disabling v-sync. The screen refreshes at 60Hz, so the only possible framerates are: 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, etc. Anything in-between 30 and 60fps would cause screen-tearing. I watched the 60fps videos and I'm too not too sure if it's truly running at 60fps. I've seen 60fps off-screen footage of 60fps games and they do look smoother than this.

The main graphical reductions seem to be less geometry, which is par for the 3DS course. Same as Mario Kart - compare MK Wii to MK7 and while shaders / effects are better, and textures are better on the small screen, geometry is definitely lowered.

Here's some food for though: if the 3DS had exactly the same hardware as the Wii, it would need to cut geometry down in order to render in 3D, since everything is rendered twice. In order to display the same geometry as the top Wii games, it would need to have twice the geometry processing power.

Tenbatsu

RJwjc.jpg

fionel

Not possible without disabling v-sync. The screen refreshes at 60Hz, so the only possible framerates are: 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, etc. Anything in-between 30 and 60fps would cause screen-tearing. I watched the 60fps videos and I'm too not too sure if it's truly running at 60fps. I've seen 60fps off-screen footage of 60fps games and they do look smoother than this.

Wow I didnt know about that. Can you point me to where I can read about this?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow I didnt know about that. Can you point me to where I can read about this?

I believe if the game refreshes at any rate that doesn't divide into 60 then what happens is when the hardware refreshes a frame the software will only be fractionally through refreshing a frame from its end, thus you get tearing.

Gaspode_T

What happened to the slide pad expansion thing for this game? I was looking at ads and basically all the ads/commercials are showing the game being played with a vanilla 3DS.

What happened to the slide pad expansion thing for this game? I was looking at ads and basically all the ads/commercials are showing the game being played with a vanilla 3DS.

It still exists, but it's not advertised since it's entirely optional and people that would bother using it would know about it already.

I'm gonna see if I can't pick up a copy + the frankenstick after the day job. Once I fiddle with it a bit, I'll post some impressions of how it feels vs the touch pad stuff.

Well *IF* it comes to North America, I think I'll look into a larger battery for my 3DS. The larger battery I have for my PSP 2000 has spoiled me. Whenever I'm playing MonHun with a group of friends, they all have to start tethering half way through the afternoon whereas I don't even drop a charge bar.

Tenbatsu

Well *IF* it comes to North America, I think I'll look into a larger battery for my 3DS. The larger battery I have for my PSP 2000 has spoiled me. Whenever I'm playing MonHun with a group of friends, they all have to start tethering half way through the afternoon whereas I don't even drop a charge bar.
The MHP3 PSP's battery life is a beast.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm MH3rdP-ing on a 3000 and i have a mexican bandito bullet belt of batteries somewhere (5 batteries) for long journeys.

I am significantly pissed that the Vita doesn't see a return to removable batteries. That way i could dictate the battery life by throwing money at the problem. Let ME decide my OWN battery life.

Jonnyram

I am significantly pissed that the Vita doesn't see a return to removable batteries. That way i could dictate the battery life by throwing money at the problem. Let ME decide my OWN battery life.
You could get a mexican bandito bullet belt of Eneloop portable USB chargers :)

Orayn

I believe if the game refreshes at any rate that doesn't divide into 60 then what happens is when the hardware refreshes a frame the software will only be fractionally through refreshing a frame from its end, thus you get tearing.

That's why some games use techniques similar to telecining where frames are displayed twice as needed, usually in some regular pattern. It's not going to be perfectly smooth, but you can still do it without tearing.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Let's play together... :(

After a long chat with myself and a discussion with the Wife i'm not bothering with MH3G - looks great and all that, but with the Vita 8 days away and the wife still driven to crush every available monsters (we still have the ancients to sort out) then it's pointless.

Hope everyone has a great time with it though, new players and old alike.

Thanks to a DCharlie tip about harassing shops into selling you the game early, I was able to find a shop that broke street date and picked the game up a couple hours ago.

Nothing much to report yet, but the first hour is basically the EXACT same as Tri was (with some explanations of the new additions/etc).

Tenbatsu

After a long chat with myself and a discussion with the Wife i'm not bothering with MH3G - looks great and all that, but with the Vita 8 days away and the wife still driven to crush every available monsters (we still have the ancients to sort out) then it's pointless.

Hope everyone has a great time with it though, new players and old alike.
Nah we are unable to play together lol, too far apart ;P

Yagharek

Goddamn this game or 4 better come to PAL. Its the perfect portable series, so far as my gaming habits go.

I'm incredibly compelled by reports of the quality of the game from a technical standpoint

Top Bottom