• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds won’t be releasing on the Switch as it “uses the latest technology to its limit”

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Monster-Hunter-Wilds-Gemma.jpg

Gamers who are eagerly awaiting Monster Hunter Wilds on the Nintendo Switch will be disappointed to hear that Capcom currently has no plans to port the title to the console. According to the Q&A summary of Capcom’s 45th Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders, the company considers that only the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC will be capable of showcasing everything the new game has to offer.

“One concept we’ve incorporated into this title is aiming to portray the maximum of the world of Monster Hunter by utilizing the latest technology to its limit. To that end, the platforms capable of realizing that concept are currently the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. Going forward, we will provide more thorough details regarding these concepts and themes when we release information on the game. We hope you look forward to it.”
While the Nintendo Switch is currently off the table, there is always the possibility that Capcom could be making Monster Hunter Wilds for Nintendo’s next console, which is rumored to be the Nintendo Switch 2. Hopefully, the new console will be able to run the game and keep Nintendo fans in the Monster Hunter loop; especially now that Monster Hunter Wilds will be the first game in the franchise to support cross-platform play.

Speaking of cross-platform play, Capcom is keeping cheaters and mods in mind as the development of Monster Hunter Wilds continues. While the Q&A summary didn’t delve into how these issues would be handled, Capcom is planning to release more details in the future.

nordique

“To that end, the platforms capable of realizing that concept are currently the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC”

Currently eh
Odd wording if it wasn’t coming to any other platforms. Why not just say “only” instead of “currently”

GymWolf

Gold Member
Because that system it’s not officially announced yet?
Well i guess...but even if it's not officially out, we all know it's a real thing and probably close to release in a year from now most probably, capcom most probably has already some sort of dev kits by now, you don't make the concept of a console in a month, nintendo is probably working on switch 2 for a couple of years now and the major devs already know something about it (because games need time to be made, so the sooner the devs get the devs kit, the sooner they can start making games for your console)

Until i get an official confirmation, wilds can perfectly be a switch 2 game aswell.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well i guess...but even if it's not officially out, we all know it's a real thing and probably close to release in a year from now most probably, capcom most probably has already some sort of dev kits by now, you don't make the concept of a console in a month, nintendo is probably working on switch for a couple of years now and the major devs already know something about it (because game need time to be made, so the sooner the devs get the devs kit, the sooner they can start making games for your console)

Until i get an official confirmation, wilds can perfectly be a switch 2 game aswell.
I could be wrong but there is a high chance Capcom will make separate MH game for Nintendo’s next system like they did with Rise.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Danjin44 Danjin44

This forum is in for a rude awakening come the Switch 2 reveal show…

Will it look / run as good as the PS5 version? Obviously not. Are third parties betting big on the successor to potentially the biggest selling video game system of all time? Fuck yes.

Also remember that the lower / mid range PC market and Series S exist for Mon Hunter Wilds. What you might think is “impossible” is well within reason with enough talented programmers combined with the time and money needed to port down the game. See The Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal on the shit show that is the current Switch hardware for proof which is a non customised 2012 phone CPU and a 2015 tablet GPU combined with 3GB of slow as shit RAM.

If visually impressive open World 30fps PS4 to Switch ports were possible like The Witcher 3 then the same kind of PS5 to Switch 2 ports are much more likely because the hardware power delta in between platforms is 1) less and 2) can also be further mitigated to an extent with the use of DLSS.

I feel like people aren’t considering the leap in Switch 2 hardware when making definitive sweeping statements like yours. Its CPU will be in the region of a 12-15x compute leap over Switch CPU performance. The GPU will be in the region of 10-12x the compute leap over the Switch GPU. It will also have 4x more RAM (at probably 4x the bandwidth) than the Switch’s RAM. It also uses a much, much faster flash drives compared to Switch.

It then has on top of all of the above the ability to leverage DLSS to take handheld image quality from native 360p up to better than native 720p and a docked experience where it could render the game at native 540p and provide better than native 1080p image quality using DLSS. It also supports hardware accelerated Ray Tracing aswell as Ray Reconstruction meaning potentially better quality RT reflections than a Series S can achieve in the same games.

It will as usual come down to whether publishers think the $1-2 million to port a game is worth the investment and with the horrendous Xbox multiplatform performance combined with a soaring Nintendo it’s a pretty sensible risk to take. Remember how well Mon Hunter in particular sells on Nintendo hardware which has the ability to play games on the go. Porting Wilds down to Switch 2 will be 100x more cost effective than creating a whole new game for the system like they did with Monster Hunter Rise on Switch.

Also note when they list target platforms they use the term “currently”. The whole industry is under strict NDA when it comes to Switch 2 until Nintendo officially reveal it this September / October.

Last edited:

Goss Harag

This forum is in for a rude awakening come the Switch 2 reveal show…

Will it look / run as good as the PS5 version? Obviously not. Are third parties betting big on the successor to potentially the biggest selling video game system of all time? Fuck yes.

Also remember that the lower / mid range PC market and Series S exist for Mon Hunter Wilds. What you might think is “impossible” is well within reason with enough talented programmers combined with the time and money needed to port down the game. See The Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal on the shit show that is the current Switch hardware for proof which is a non customised 2012 phone CPU and a 2015 tablet GPU combined with 3GB of slow as shit RAM.

If visually impressive open World 30fps PS4 to Switch ports were possible like The Witcher 3 then the same kind of PS5 to Switch 2 ports are much more likely because the hardware power delta in between platforms is 1) less and 2) can also be further mitigated to an extent with the use of DLSS.

I feel like people aren’t considering the leap in Switch 2 hardware when making definitive sweeping statements like yours. Its CPU will be in the region of a 12-15x compute leap over Switch CPU performance. The GPU will be in the region of 10-12x the compute leap over the Switch GPU. It will also have 4x more RAM (at probably 4x the bandwidth) than the Switch’s RAM. It also uses a much, much faster flash drives compared to Switch. It then has on top of all of the above the ability to leverage DLSS to take handheld image quality from native 360p up to better than native 720p and a docked experience where it could render the game at 540p and provide better than native 1080p image quality.

It will as usual come down to whether publishers think the $1-2 million to port a game is worth the investment and with the horrendous Xbox multiplatform performance combined with a soaring Nintendo it’s a pretty sensible risk to take. Remember how well Mon Hunter in particular sells on Nintendo hardware which has the ability to play games on the go. Porting Wilds down to Switch 2 will be 100x more cost effective than creating a whole new game for the system like they did with Monster Hunter Rise on Switch.

Also note when they list target platforms they use the term “currently”. The whole industry is under strict NDA when it comes to Switch 2 until Nintendo officially reveal it this September / October.

I never said anything about the next Nintendo console. I was talking about the Switch and the Switch only.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I hope it's true.
Nah it will be day one on switch 2 release and be the biggest platform for the game even though it launches after the others. Then capcom will lower the graphical settings on all the other platforms for uniformity with the top seller and the game will look like a GameCube game.

Sorry ... 😢

Last edited:

Duchess

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nah it will be day one on switch 2 release and be the biggest platform for the game even though it launches after the others. Then capcom will lower the graphical settings on all the other platforms for uniformity with the top seller and the game will look like a GameCube game.

Sorry ... 😢
Graphical settings are not the real problem, building a fucking open world with focus on ecosystem on a tablet cpu is the real problem.

If this is also a switch 2 game, you just know for sure that the cpu inside ps5\sex are not fully utilized and the game is not the best it could be, facts.

Switch 2 has the potential to be the series S of the next-nextgen, but even worse because series s at least it's not a fucking cheap tablet.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

In the last 10 years Monster Hunter has become just as much of a "Nintendo game" as it has a "Playstation game", in Capcoms eyes.

Did people forget already that Nintendo specifically went to Capcom for counsel on how powerful Switch OG would need to be to run MH Rise? Capcom got them to increase the systems RAM...for Monster Hunter.

It's coming to Switch 2, as is almost every single other Capcom title that missed out on Switch OG, e.g. RE4 Remake, Dead Rising Deluxe etc.

GymWolf

Gold Member
In the last 10 years Monster Hunter has become just as much of a "Nintendo game" as it has a "Playstation game", in Capcoms eyes.

Did people forget already that Nintendo specifically went to Capcom for counsel on how powerful Switch OG would need to be to run MH Rise? Capcom got them to increase the systems RAM...for Monster Hunter.

It's coming to Switch 2, as is almost every single other Capcom title that missed out on Switch OG, e.g. RE4 Remake, Dead Rising Deluxe etc.
We are soooo fucked 🕺

Comandr

I could be wrong but there is a high chance Capcom will make separate MH game for Nintendo’s next system like they did with Rise.
It is overwhelmingly likely that the Portable team already has a dev kit and is making Portable 6th for the Switch U

Well… obviously?! 😂

The Switch couldn’t even do World. If they tried it would run horrible and blurry, even worse than base Xbox One.

What a silly thing to even have to explain as if it’s news or was even a remote possibility.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
I'd be very surprised if it doesn't come out on Switch 2. In fact I think the reason it doesn't look like such a big visual leap from MHW is exactly because of the Switch 2.
Which is great because it should ensure decent framerate on Ps5/SX instead of another shit show like Dragons Dogma 2

pepodmc_

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't come out on Switch 2. In fact I think the reason it doesn't look like such a big visual leap from MHW is exactly because of the Switch 2.
Which is great because it should ensure decent framerate on Ps5/SX instead of another shit show like Dragons Dogma 2
The thing is that, as it happened with MT framework and the first dragon Dogma in the ps360 era, is that capcom internal engines doesnt work as good in open world games, because they arent developed with that idea in mind.
The first dragon dogma had performance problems in ps3/xbox360 too.
While games like dmc 4 worked great.

Last edited:
They why release it on Series S?
I’m pretty sure Series S runs games significantly better than Steam Deck which turns out runs games significantly better than the current switch.

I’ll wait and see what specs are for Switch 2 and if it evens matches Steam Deck specs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The graphics look shit though.
Hopefully they are using the power for the best, more advanced animal ecosystem in gaming, that's my hope.

Simple groups of creatures or random fights between creatures doesn't cut anymore in 2024, i need to see something that no other game does.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Hopefully they are using the power for the best, more advanced animal ecosystem in gaming, that's my hope.

Simple groups of creatures or random fights between creatures doesn't cut anymore in 2024, i need to see something that no other game does.
That’s what I’m hoping. If the monsters behavior and world simulations fully utilize the systems they’re running on, I don’t care all that much about visual fidelity.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That’s what I’m hoping. If the monsters behavior and world simulations fully utilize the systems they’re running on, I don’t care all that much about visual fidelity.
If you particularly like that stuff you should try rain world.

It's not the most friendly game to learn but ecosystem wise it destroy everything else from orbit.

Comandr

His ass. Rise was made by a completely separate team, specifically targeting the switch hardware. The Rise team, otherwise known as the Portable team, have always done specific portable releases.

While the switch 2 could possibly be powerful enough to run the game, I have no reason to believe that it is the target spec.

mnkl13

I have no reason to believe that it is the target spec.

did you look at the game? and what's the problem if it is the target spec? if you think it looks good, what changes if it is the target spec? will you be sad? i just stated my opinion no need for asses here.

Comandr

did you look at the game? and what's the problem if it is the target spec? if you think it looks good, what changes if it is the target spec? will you be sad? i just stated my opinion no need for asses here.
I have seen the game. I have numerous, detailed posts on the fidelity of the game. The fact that Wilds has been in active development for around 5 years means they have hammered down the baseline spec for the game ages ago. Far before any 2025 console has a solid form. I imagine development began in earnest the moment that the team got their hands on ps5 and xbox dev kits.

When you carefully examine the facts you can begin to understand how your logic falls apart.

Top Bottom