• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Monpiece |OT| Hold the PlayStation® Vita Vertically...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Extra boss was challenging in the beginning, but after the first few turns, everything becomes normal again...

Shingro

So.... how is the story mode, events and such. I've got the jp version but am unsure whether I want to double dip just for english text or not. Low price is certainly tempting!

So.... how is the story mode, events and such. I've got the jp version but am unsure whether I want to double dip just for english text or not. Low price is certainly tempting!

It is very light hearted. So far it has just been a chase to a bunch of different towns. Nothing deep (5h in). I really suck at the rubbing game apparently, sometimes they decrease in atk and hp... not good. Also the game crashed on me while in extreme rub mode (EU version), anybody else had this problem?
The online store is not open yet in Europe, how are the prices for extra cards in the US?

edit 1:

Figured out what I did wrong, with the analogue stick you have to move while in rub mode, otherwise there are spots you can't hit.

Really do like the card game by the way, it is a lot of fun and when you don't / can't upgrade your cards it is certainly no walk in the park.

It is very light hearted. So far it has just been a chase to a bunch of different towns. Nothing deep (5h in). I really suck at the rubbing game apparently, sometimes they decrease in atk and hp... not good. Also the game crashed on me while in extreme rub mode (EU version), anybody else had this problem?
The online store is not open yet in Europe, how are the prices for extra cards in the US?

edit 1:

Figured out what I did wrong, with the analogue stick you have to move while in rub mode, otherwise there are spots you can't hit.

Really do like the card game by the way, it is a lot of fun and when you don't / can't upgrade your cards it is certainly no walk in the park.

Actually the -atk or -hp is a pay-off letting it decrease in Mana cost or because it's becomes a whole new unit to specialize on.

Most support gets a decrease in atk/hp so they can either get lower mana cost

Archer usually get a no movement attach to them (Fear for example).

From what I seen when your first rub unit (fear) shows its skill it seems useless but She will actually be one of your best unit if you know how to use her.

If your able to summon Frey > put her in mid lane, middle spot. Next put a buffer behind her and try and focus getting her a fusion + a bonus aura. Frey will pretty much guard the whole mid-lane which let you focus on only two lanes.

Most stat decrease doesn't really matter if your able to utilize fusion, aura bonuses, and mana efficiency. Right now at ch.3 I'm running a mix yellow/blue deck which contains hyperactive movements units+ mana 2-4 units + buffer/healers (with hyperactive or upgrade to the max level for lower mana cost).

Basically I just rush with mana 2-3 units trying to get aura bonus to overpower NPC.

So is the stat decrease/increase random or planned?

Planned. The units that gets most of the stat decrease are the healer and buffer for a good reason. Many healer and buffer trade off stats for lower mana or getting hypersonic/hyperactive (forgot which one it was called) or higher MP/INT. Also some cards plays a "fusion" role, basically fodder to buff up your units on the field.

Most archer gain a no movement skills to combo off with Buffer to basically be able to protect a lane (which is why Fia is so good in early chapter once you bring her out + a good buffer).

The game is actually pretty deep in terms of creating a deck. So far, I manage to create a few decks just buy grinding on Training to get packs and r.points to test out different Aura combinations, Healer/Buffer combinations and etc.

The game gives you option on how you like to play. A quick rush-beatdown deck contain 2-4 mana cost units. A mono-aura rush beatdown. Lane control (no-move archer + buffer). Dual aura rush beatdown. Mana control (you'll need to play online to get those +2 Fairy that gives out mana). Once you learn how certain units work, most stat decrease won't matter especially if they are Buffer/Healer because they aren't suppose to be your vanguards.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Planned. The units that gets most of the stat decrease are the healer and buffer for a good reason. Many healer and buffer trade off stats for lower mana or getting hypersonic/hyperactive (forgot which one it was called) or higher MP/INT. Also some cards plays a "fusion" role, basically fodder to buff up your units on the field.

Most archer gain a no movement skills to combo off with Buffer to basically be able to protect a lane (which is why Fia is so good in early chapter once you bring her out + a good buffer).

The game is actually pretty deep in terms of creating a deck. So far, I manage to create a few decks just buy grinding on Training to get packs and r.points to test out different Aura combinations, Healer/Buffer combinations and etc.

The game gives you option on how you like to play. A quick rush-beatdown deck contain 2-4 mana cost units. A mono-aura rush beatdown. Lane control (no-move archer + buffer). Dual aura rush beatdown. Mana control (you'll need to play online to get those +2 Fairy that gives out mana). Once you learn how certain units work, most stat decrease won't matter especially if they are Buffer/Healer because they aren't suppose to be your vanguards.

Alright, thanks for the breakdown.

Gotta say though, so far the monster girl designs seems to be more "girl" and less "monster", which is kinda disappointing.

How do you switch which deck you use?

Also, what exactly does the bloody road skill do?

To switch deck, go to card gym > organize and you'll see your deck list and if you have more than 1 created, press triangle on the one you want as your main deck.

For bloody road, I don't think I seen that yet. If you have the description I can try and see what it does.

Alright, thanks for the breakdown.

Gotta say though, so far the monster girl designs seems to be more "girl" and less "monster", which is kinda disappointing.

Yeah, it feels like most girls are just wearing monster costume. The most disappointing for me so far was that every monster girl are the same on the battlefield -.-" Only Neptune got her own model (so far in game atleast). It would have been nice if the girls got their own models.

Edit:

I found this on gamefaqs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anx12MiCQejudE5JdDBMM3RPN2ZZWFNES3JWTlZqMnc#gid=1
It's a list of what cards are in the booster packs. (credit to the gamefaqs users that made it)

Ken

It would have been nice if the girls got their own models.

do the recent yugioh games have models for all the monster cards? I think they have models only for the notable cards right?

Antiwhippy

Oh my god the dialogue in the story segments is so generic and flat that it makes me cringe at how bad it is.

I kinda just want to disable the sound. The music and voice acting are really flat.

Uthred

The story is pretty generic, as lots of Japanese games. At least they managed to avoid making main characters annoying.

I dont think you need a qualifier like Japanese, games in general have relatively "generic" stories, just like the majority of entertainment media.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, I feel stuff like atelier pulls this off way better, which is like having cute interactions while having a somewhat semi-serious story. Whenever monster monpiece tries to do any of that it just falls flat. Atelier has way better music too.

Though to be fair, the atelier games seems to actually have a budget, unlike this.

I dont think you need a qualifier like Japanese, games in general have relatively "generic" stories, just like the majority of entertainment media.

I did put it because I talk from personal experience. Most of the games I play are Japanese, and the ones who aren't don't have a plot (sports), so I cannot say anything about Western games stories.

Besides, as generic as they may be, Japanese generic stories often rely on a set of tropes, while Western generic stories rely on another set of tropes.

^ Counterattack is just attacking back if your unit was attacked and did not die. If your unit has good atk, counterattack can be very powerful. You can build a neat strategy of unstoppable juggernauts with the right cards.

Unrelated, Chapter eight is pretty long. I like it, because it has plenty of items and cards for those who are willing to play the optional battles and make the most of the single player experience.

I think it feels powerful because there doesn't to be very many abilities that let you take action on an opponent's turn, at least none that I've seen yet.

I don't think there are any "actions" you can take on an opponent's turn besides counterattacking as well. And counterattack pretty much destroys the strategy of "war of attrition" to get rid of opponent's powerful units and preventing them of dealing damage to the HQ.

My review just went up: http://playstationvita.eu/monster-monpiece-review/

For people who don't want to read a whole review, here is just the conclusion:
Monster Monpiece is a great card battler which has no problem holding its own amongst the likes of Hearthstone and Yu-Gi-Oh. This Trade Card Game is fun and interesting. The game has a lot of heart and is adorable to look at. The story is surprising and really adds to the experience, but is a slow burn. Monster Monpiece is a digital download only and has a budget price of about 30 euro. If you don’t despise card games and / or typical Japanese animation, I would urge you to give Monster Monpiece a shot.

Chapter 9 is very, very long. But as I am having the opportunity of getting new delicious monster girls, I am not complaining.

Now that I have a deck that has some chance of winning in online, my Vita keeps losing the connection. I don't think I will ever be able to win a lot of online matches...

Also the game crashed on me while in extreme rub mode (EU version), anybody else had this problem?

Had this happen several times now, the game will just hang there, buttons/touchscreen unresponsive, giving me no choice but to close the game and restart. : [

edit
looks like this is happening after a successful rub, just before the card is about to level, but then the game will hang and be stuck in a loop.

galvenize

Compile Hearts, who allowed you to make a decent game?

In all seriousness, I was pleasantly surprised to see how fun the card game is. Couldn't stop playing last night.

zeopower6

I just did the first one with Fia and I was like "uhhhhhhhh what" the whole time. Isn't Otton supposed to get excited? Or is filling the meter not all you're supposed to be trying to do?

Also lol @ the online trophies. Platinum = not happening...

Shizuka

I just did the first one with Fia and I was like "uhhhhhhhh what" the whole time. Isn't Otton supposed to get excited? Or is filling the meter not all you're supposed to be trying to do?

Also lol @ the online trophies. Platinum = not happening...

You need to fill the meter, but if you do the right action (pinch, poke, rub, etc.), he gets excited and you trigger Extreme Love.

The online trophies are easily done with a partner, one forfeits one hundred battles, then the other does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom