• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster World Collection (Wonder Boy) |OT| Wii - May 10th, XBLA/PSN - May 23rd/22nd

So far I am enjoying MW4 but there's a couple things that annoy me:

(a) playing with just the Wii remote is annoying because of the button layout.
(b) the music is ok but it repeats way too much and the loops are very short

Button mapping on the HD versions is very welcome, bummer that the VC version is a pain. There's always the Classic/Cube controller! :p

And agreed on the music- generally it's enjoyable but it's repetitive too.

Oh, the Sun Spirit section of the game is great stuff- lots to do, nice of them to stretch out the game, I swear this section has taken me longer than the Tower of Silence and the Volcano combined.

zaphod79

In some videos I saw pretty much every boss getting cornered.. I tried several times with no luck, especially with the final boss. The only ones who still give me troubles are the snow cong and the giant mushroom because of all the enemies around.

*Very* easy way to beat the Mushroom boss - at the start before he appears fire a whirlwind , then walk up and hit him as he appears - you'll push him back into the corner (and into the Whirlwind ), if your walking forward then a single sword hit should finish him.

Any tips on how to defeat the Sphinx?
I have the Legendary Armor and Shield with the Great Sword.

As mentioned above you should also have Legendary shoes - there are a few ways to beat him in a fight - the fact he teleports makes him the hardest to just jam into a corner but you should be able to stand at his feet and his lightning blast will go over your head so you can jump and hit him in his head.

Weapons (apart from Lightning or a fireball shot after jumping) dont really hit him - however as also mentioned you should really only fight him the once to get the achivement and answer his questions the rest of the time.

GhaleonEB

I'm a good way into Wonderboy in Monster Land - just past the Sphinx (most amusing boss battle I've had in a while). The only game from the series I'd played was Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap on the SMS, which I wish were included here, as it's one of my all-time favorites.

This game feels somewhat larger, but I think WBIII had tighter controls, better music and more compelling mechanics and progression (shifting into different monsters with different abilities) that open the world up. Still, I'm enjoying it a great deal; I'd forgotten how challenging games were back then, and I missed it. It's been a lot of fun finding secrets on my own, including a few doors (I'm just missing one heart now.)

The only place I've done 'save abuse' was the ice cave, where I was sliding all over the place and just couldn't get a handle on the controls enough to avoid getting demolished by the yeti that filled the place. After a half dozen attempts I had to save every couple screens to cheese through it. Otherwise, I save when I first enter a major area and work through from there.

I couldn't get a handle on the first game on the collection, but I'll go back to it before doing Wonder Boy IV, which I've heard is wonderful.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Man, Monster World IV is awesome so far...my first time playing through apart from a bit of the Japanese version a while back. Made it to the ice level. Really like the level of challenge - it's tough but it rewards patience... much easier the second or third time through a section. Graphics are some of the best I've seen on Genesis, it almost looks like a SNES game with how colorful and vibrant it is. Only complaint is I don't like the music much :(

I just hope that I don't pull a Dragon's Trap on this game - make it to the final boss and never beat him :(

Man, Monster World IV is awesome so far...my first time playing through apart from a bit of the Japanese version a while back. Made it to the ice level. Really like the level of challenge - it's tough but it rewards patience... much easier the second or third time through a section. Graphics are some of the best I've seen on Genesis, it almost looks like a SNES game with how colorful and vibrant it is. Only complaint is I don't like the music much :(

I just hope that I don't pull a Dragon's Trap on this game - make it to the final boss and never beat him :(

The final boss is mad easy, particularly if you fight him with the legendary equipment which can be purchased towards the end of the game with little to no grinding (protip: hang on to a couple of extra gold bars, the rich lady gives you tons of money for them near the end).

The ice pyramids were the best part of the game imo, I really loved the puzzles in them.

I'm still pissed that I could never beat the final boss of Super Adventure Island 2 (which I would recommend that all Monster World fans check out on Virtual Console, it's fantastic). That shit was impossible :mad:

I finally got around to picking up the 360 version, man these have some nice options. They also play fine with the 360's analog stick, surprisingly, although I'll probably break out an arcade stick to really boost my Monster Land scores. I also got all but one of the Monster Land achievements on my first run while still netting a 2.2 million end score. Regarding the one I missed, I know I had only seen that happen ONCE in my entire Monster Land career (and it's been some career), but I kind of figured out how to force it to happen, so to speak.

I will say the Wii version's full screen mode looks better (being the right resolution for it), but the dot by dot mode is okay if you don't mind being bordered.

zaphod79

I also got all but one of the Monster Land achievements on my first run while still netting a 2.2 million end score. Regarding the one I missed, I know I had only seen that happen ONCE in my entire Monster Land career (and it's been some career), but I kind of figured out how to force it to happen, so to speak.

If its the one I think it is

Picking up a wearable item from an enemy

Then I only had it happen to me once while playing by accident on the arcade but when going for max gold in MAME i got it a few times - its pretty easy to force

I typically buy knight armour / knight shield / leather boots and nothing else - sooner or later it'll drop you something better - for the achievement it dropped me cermic boots shortly after using the flute

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Beat MWIV last morning! The level design in the sky stage was absolutely incredible and super-challenging... there was one specific part (running on the moving conveyor belts while hitting timed switches) that had me ready to chuck the Classic Controller through the TV... But I did it, final boss only took me 2 tries (first time I made it to him I had barely any life from rushing through the final dungeon) and went down pretty easily.

Now it's time to give the Genesis version a try. I haven't really put more time into that one. Or at least give Dragon's Trap another go! :)

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I've posted an interview with Ryuichi Nishizawa on HG101 as well:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonderboy/wonderboy-interview.htm

Interestingly, back in 1987 Westone made an English version of the arcade version of Monster Land, but Sega chose not to release it. (The ones out in arcades and in MAME are bootlegs with really awful translations.) The version included in the Vintage Collection is the original unreleased ROM. On the other hand, the Monster World IV translation is brand new.

He also set up an official Facebook page for the series and regularly reads and responds to the entries:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MW-FAN/465366220145115

According to his Twitter feed, he's going to try to dig up the ROM for the unreleased Westone arcade game Aquario of the Clockwork and maybe work with M2 to get it on the XBLA, which would be amazing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I've posted an interview with Ryuichi Nishizawa on HG101 as well:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonderboy/wonderboy-interview.htm

Interestingly, back in 1987 Westone made an English version of the arcade version of Monster Land, but Sega chose not to release it. (The ones out in arcades and in MAME are bootlegs with really awful translations.) The version included in the Vintage Collection is the original unreleased ROM. On the other hand, the Monster World IV translation is brand new.

He also set up an official Facebook page for the series and regularly reads and responds to the entries:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MW-FAN/465366220145115

According to his Twitter feed, he's going to try to dig up the ROM for the unreleased Westone arcade game Aquario of the Clockwork and maybe work with M2 to get it on the XBLA, which would be amazing.
How did you talk to him? They don't seem to reply to their email

From the interview seems he really wants to continue this series, which is good (although all in 3D doesn't automatically mean it's the best move). At least he also wants more 2D stuff

rjc571

Banned
I saw this at another forum. Props to Kishi at Talking Time forums for pointing it out!

Original Post: http://www.telebunny.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=13244

Summary: Get to Rapadagna without saving the game. Go to apparently empty screen to the right of the castle entrance. Push up behind a bush and you'll find the debug merchant. He'll give you 9999 gold every time you talk to him, and he'll let you buy the Legendary Equipment right away. Also, the Legendary Armor lets you summon Pepeloogoo if you don't have him (which results in some pretty glitchy graphics), and lets you change between his three different forms at will.

It's pretty amazing that such an obtuse cheat code existed and basically went undiscovered for 18 years. I tried it out on the VC version, and it works! Except the "Debug Armor" is actually called the "Legend Armor" in that version NVM, they refer to the Legendary Shield as "Legend Shield" for some reason.

Top Bottom