• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster World Collection (Wonder Boy) |OT| Wii - May 10th, XBLA/PSN - May 23rd/22nd

Rikkun

It's basically the first time I'm approaching these games (XBLA collection for me) and I must say my favourite is WonderBoy in Monster Land. Hard but simple, I'm trying to find my way in the castle
LLShC.gif

I don't like the art style of the other 2 titles like this one, but I'll play them (I got stuck in MLV right after the beginning, at the second fountain, do I have to find the crystal? where is it? Am I dumb?)

Sweet got up to 4th overall on the trial leaderboard, aaaaaaaand I'm content with that for this evening lol.

Good night Monster-Land. :D

It's basically the first time I'm approaching these games (XBLA collection for me) and I must say my favourite is WonderBoy in Monster Land. Hard but simple, I'm trying to find my way in the castle
LLShC.gif

I don't like the art style of the other 2 titles like this one, but I'll play them (I got stuck in MLV right after the beginning, at the second fountain, do I have to find the crystal? where is it? Am I dumb?)

Hah, I actually had the same problem. The first house you go into in the game has a door that you might not recognize at first. Look for the tan cloth hanging up. You'll find the crystal back there.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hah, I actually had the same problem. The first house you go into in the game has a door that you might not recognize at first. Look for the tan cloth hanging up. You'll find the crystal back there.

I heard this same issue on a Youtube review, and I was prepared for it to be one of those "early game random annoyances"... but if you talk to the people who are in town, wishing Asha goodbye, they even ask you if you have the crystal, and tell you where to use it. Which of course suggest "So, it's something I get BEFORE I leave this place...".

The game seems VERY nice at suggesting WHAT you're suppose to do, from what I've seen so far. Much nicer than Dragon's Trap (which I'm still going through, btw), which just kinda... tosses you abilities, and expects you to figure it out. No notifications, no item descriptions, NOTHING.

I'm waiting to see how the game continues, but so far, it seems like they really like to hold your hand and make things plain, if you're willing to take the time.

I heard this same issue on a Youtube review, and I was prepared for it to be one of those "early game random annoyances"... but if you talk to the people who are in town, wishing Asha goodbye, they even ask you if you have the crystal, and tell you where to use it. Which of course suggest "So, it's something I get BEFORE I leave this place...".

The game seems VERY nice at suggesting WHAT you're suppose to do, from what I've seen so far. Much nicer than Dragon's Trap (which I'm still going through, btw), which just kinda... tosses you abilities, and expects you to figure it out. No notifications, no item descriptions, NOTHING.

I'm waiting to see how the game continues, but so far, it seems like they really like to hold your hand and make things plain, if you're willing to take the time.

Yeah, it was a very *duh* moment for me. I knew I was supposed to have it when I left the town but I really had thought I'd looked everywhere. When I got to the area where they teach you how to drop down through platforms I went all the way back to that first bridge trying to do that with no luck. Oh well. I got all the money going back and forth!

Rikkun

I'll try later, thank you :)

I thought it was something I had to take in the woods so that the man after I got the crystal could let my trip start (like he had a caravan).
"oh, you forgot to go take the crystal in the shrine in the woods, go and come back!"
Seems one of those things I imagined back in the 90s when I got stuck
KuGsj.gif

PS: Ok, how am I supposed to pass the castle stage in WBIML? I have 3 out of 6 hearts, Legendary Shield and Boots, some spells. Even by rushing without getting hit I barely have the time to reach half stage, and losing won't replenish my health. Luckily I saved the game nearby.. Should I replay it again for the third time today just using the money "glitch" and searching for powerups to pass this stage? I don't even have time to get the ghost achievement :S

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yay, just woken up (Thursday 7am) and am greeted with the Wonder Boy games. Just getting the WBiML now (such a slow download, must be getting hammered lol), get the others later but I just wanted to know from veterans of the series, do both the Monster World games have secrets like the first Monster Land? You know what I mean, jump here for an extra heart, or coins etc.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
why am I paying more on PSN?

Save for the straight Arcade / PSN original releases, this just seems to be the way these things are.

Microsoft has been pretty open to ports or HD updates from companies like Treasure, or getting Half Minute Hero onto the 360, for example.

Nintendo's generally cost more to the consumer, but come out earlier, and have more direct, less dynaimc features. Seems to be many a collectors choice.

Sony's always been a little anti-port in comparision to the other two, and there seems to be more loopholes to jump through to publish worldwide on PSN (such is the case that had Outrun Arcade released in Europe for PSN, but not in the US.) Maybe the increase in needing different certifications means they have to make more profit per copy sold?

I'm just glad there's an option for most of these games on each console now, at least. Never was a Moster World fan while growing up, nor got to play Alex Kidd much, as my Mastersystem came with Hang On!, and that Safari shooting game... but these are very well made classics, that don't really feel "dated" at all. SO great to see new translations for games missed out on during their original releases, as well.

You know how in Monster Land Arcade you sometimes get 60+ gold from coins & pouches? In some places when you get hit by a monster you always get 60+. But I have also noticed it increases your chances if you use magic while grabbing the treasures. Is it really random? Anyone knows how it really works?
Well, you pretty much nailed it. The three methods to trigger a sixty gold stash are to wiggle the joystick, be knocked back into a coin spot or have magic on the screen. I beleive being kocked back into a spot is a 100% trigger rate, but there are only a couple of spots where this can actually be done. Windspout is the most effective magic to do this and having two on the screen will be an almost 100% trigger rate.

Is the XBLA version in this collection the superior arcade version too?
Yup!

It's basically the first time I'm approaching these games (XBLA collection for me) and I must say my favourite is WonderBoy in Monster Land. Hard but simple.
Yeaaah! I'm surprised people playing it for the first time are liking it, I figured it would be "too hard" for most (even though it's really not).

Are their Virtual Console titles for Wii this amazing, in terms of options?
Not in options, but in emulation quality. Nintendo was strict on keeping the emulation wrapper invisible on Virtual Console games. This seems to have lifted with Virtual Console Arcade and 3DS Virtual Console though.

Yay, just woken up (Thursday 7am) and am greeted with the Wonder Boy games. Just getting the WBiML now (such a slow download, must be getting hammered lol), get the others later but I just wanted to know from veterans of the series, do both the Monster World games have secrets like the first Monster Land? You know what I mean, jump here for an extra heart, or coins etc.
Wonder Boy in Monster World has a couple, mostly as homages to Monster Land.

Monster World IV has nothing of the such as far as I'm aware.

Maybe Microsoft's? Who knows? The games are well worth $4.99.
How would it be Microsoft's fault that they're charging more on PSN?

@MUWANdo

Banned

Monster World (and Dragon's Trap) have a fair amount of this sort of stuff, Monster World IV has very little (a few hidden chests in the hub world, that's about it).

Gen X

Well apart from some horrendous slowdown in a very small section on Round 4, I am very happy with Monster Land so far. I can still remember a lot of the locations of stuff too up to that point.

I reckon veterans and rookies alike should all put together and say what we know about hidden coins/doors etc.
or I should go see if there is a Wiki on it perhaps
. :lol

I'll list a couple on the first stage that aren't shown in the Attract Mode (The rolling demo when you don't put credits in).

Hidden for those that don't want to know.

After getting the sword, take the lift then jump to the left onto the tree stump. Stand near the left and 3 coins will pop out.

Jump at the last tree after the first boss battle for a free heart. Be quick or it will float away.

Also, a tip for the second stage, try and get the boots and shield but buy the shield first incase you don't have enough money (There are a few bonus coins/a money bag hidden between the start and where you get the Hourglass). Boots help you jump further, reach hidden coins and platforms/clouds that would otherwise be out of reach.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Any chance of a Monster World/Wonder Boy collection, (preferably the Wii full collection) coming on disc/retail release?

- Sega recently said they're cutting down on big disk release. And focusing more on downloads.

- Given the volume on the Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection, I don't know how willing they'd be to try to release another collection so soon, as much as they've been puming out these games on PC, 360, PS3, and Wii.

The only light of hope on that front is that they DID release Dreamcast collections, and the previously mentioned Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, before. It seems much more likely that we'll see more digital collections, before seeing a new disk release, however.

- Sega recently said they're cutting down on big disk release. And focusing more on downloads.

- Given the volume on the Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection, I don't know how willing they'd be to try to release another collection so soon, as much as they've been puming out these games on PC, 360, PS3, and Wii.

The only light of hope on that front is that they DID release Dreamcast collections, and the previously mentioned Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, before. It seems much more likely that we'll see more digital collections, before seeing a new disk release, however.
I wouldn't be surprised if SUGC is the last big retail retro compilation ever released by a major publisher on any platform, even handhelds. I think it's all digital from here out, for better or worse. It's important to support the high quality ports like these.

RobbieNick

Man. I love the layout they gave these games on LIVE. Playing Monster World IV right now. This is closer to what Zelda II should have been.

Also, a tip for the second stage, try and get the boots and shield but buy the shield first incase you don't have enough money.
Pish. My tip for the second stage is to buy two stocks of Windspout, which pays itself back with one sixty coin bonus. :)

I can usually buy the second boots and second shield at the start of the second stage thanks to this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It could be their fault that they're charging less on XBLA.

If by "fault", maybe if you say "It's Microsoft's fault for being more supportive!" or "It's their fault for having rules that force the best value!" ;) 360 is getting 2 more collections than the PS3, but all the games in those 2 sets are available on the other 2 systems in one form or another... I have to wonder if that signifies anything...

I wouldn't be surprised if SUGC is the last big retail retro compilation ever released by a major publisher on any platform, even handhelds. I think it's all digital from here out, for better or worse. It's important to support the high quality ports like these.

I'd be mostly OK with this, personally. The more significant content there is on Digital services, the more reason companies have to treat the services well, going forward. Having 200 games on a hard drive is much more convenient than the equivalent amount on disk or cartridge.

Playing these is just making me want to play Dragon's Trap. :( Have had the music in my head all day.

How could they leave it out? Makes nooooo sense.

Hurry up and get it on 3DS VC or something Sega.

Ah well, I love Monster Land second highest and having things like trials in it is fun, I usually just stick to VC stuff as far as downloadable retro games go so its pretty cool having some of this bonus stuff to play around with. :D

Tell me more!
Having one windspout magic on the screen when triggering a hidden coin gives it a high chance of being a sixty-something gold bonus (and two windspouts on the screen makes it nearly guaranteed). The magic shop in Round Two is the only shop in the game that sells that type of magic (at least, that I can remember), so it's a great way to get a quick boost of money early in the game.

Daigoro

I love waggling the joystick! Essential technique. You really need to play this game with a fighter stick to recreate the original arcade experience 100%.

sweet. i didnt even know this was an arcade version of the game. wasnt sure what the waggle option was even meant when i looked in the control option menu. still not sure what waggle is all about honestly, never played any of these games before somehow...

im hooking up my stick tomorrow and playing this sucker.

wtf. i have no idea how that guy is doing any of that shit. crazy.

Rikkun

sweet. i didnt even know this was an arcade version of the game. wasnt sure what the waggle option was even meant when i looked in the control option menu. still not sure what waggle is all about honestly, never played any of these games before somehow...

From what I read, it's a glitch to get many coins. When you get at a secret coin, just waggle and usually you'll get 3x and sixtysomething coins.

zaphod79

Found it. http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_in_Monster_Land

Read at your peril. It lists everything and I mean everything.

I'm just reading up to section 3 and found something missing already

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_in_Monster_Land/Round_3

On the flat area near door B there is a hidden heart (jump to reveal)

I found defining a waggle button gave me around 1000 coins by the end of level 3 so may go back to just waggling myself after i do a completion for the gold scoreboard (had around 2000 coins at the end last night and died on the dragon - just out of practice)

I'm disapointed they have removed the 'Engrish' that i remember from the various bootleg arcade versions (although they still got Sarad) , they have also removed the crosses from the nurses rooms (they are either H or nothing) and have changed things so you can buy a drink even if you have full health (I often got to the bar in the Pyramid and had to wait for the timer to take a heart off me so I could buy a drink to find the riddle answer)

zaphod79

For a Stratagy wiki they also dont seem to realise that you can fight certain characters more than once - for section 4 http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_in_Monster_Land/Round_4

If you jump *over* the floating platforms near door F you can fight Kraken , then go down and when you come back up you can fight him again - you will get extra coins and either a large Heart or Lightning magic (I also think there is a hidden coin if you use Wingboots to get onto the platform above the door but would need to check)

Gen X

they have also removed the crosses from the nurses rooms (they are either H or nothing)

I noticed this too. I even went into the first H door because I was confused at what it was. Knowing this day and age, the Red Cross probably wanted some licensing deal for using it. lol

(I also think there is a hidden coin if you use Wingboots to get onto the platform above the door but would need to check)

This does actually sound familiar.

From memory I think I only ever made it up about Round 6 or 7. The arcade version I played had the difficulty ramped up so free hearts for reaching certain scores were set higher than the Normal setting. Also, out of the few friends I knew who played it regularly, no one had heard of this 'Tornado for higher coins' trick. We just thought it was random or based on how high you were when jumping for certain coins such as above doors or on clouds.

zaphod79

From memory I think I only ever made it up about Round 6 or 7. The arcade version I played had the difficulty ramped up so free hearts for reaching certain scores were set higher than the Normal setting.

In my local arcade they had it at the default settings for too long so everyone who played it well could finish it easily on 10p , they tried upping the difficulty but it had been there too long and unless you were going for high scores by avoiding spending money you could do long sections of it without getting hit once (I'd really like the fireball challenge to be a mode where you do only have one hit but give me my sword and let the helmet take a hit for you and Kong would be the only thing i'd struggle with)

Also, out of the few friends I knew who played it regularly, no one had heard of this 'Tornado for higher coins' trick. We just thought it was random or based on how high you were when jumping for certain coins such as above doors or on clouds.

We all waggled the joystick for the coins , there were some you learned about getting hit for them (the rat pushing you off the level in the village) and then the set of coins in the pyramid we spent ages working out how to get 60+ each time from it but never used magic for it (in the game now you can simply use the waggle button to get plenty of cash)

I'm SO stuck on Kong... How the hell do I beat him? He's so aggressive with the stupid rocks! :(

What I do is rush him while he is materializing and stab him. Then I keep rushing him and stabbing him. When he gets to close to a wall, he will jump, so anticipate and be ready to follow him and keep stabbing. If you get the timing down you will always be just out of reach for his rock attack and sometimes he won't be able to do it.

zaphod79

I'm SO stuck on Kong... How the hell do I beat him? He's so aggressive with the stupid rocks! :(

There are a few ways to beat him - the standard method is to hit him twice while moving forward - he will either jump over you (so you just repeat) or throw a rock (wait till it hits the ground them jump)

The second method is to stand well back and fire magic at him

And the third method is the one you can use for just about any boss in the game - hit him while he appears then just jump / hit him into a corner - you will take damage but you can down even the toughest enemies with that.

The other suggestion is to look at the trials leaderboards - the gold challenge has everyones whole game as a replay - load it up and watch to see what they do (it will show you controls so you can see exactly how they handled it)

I had a quick go tonight and got 9th in the gold trial and then watched the top person and realized they missed a lot of the 60's in the pyramid so bigger scores are possible (when going to max gold i often dont buy some upgrades and hope to get them as drops from the enemies but for this one i just played the game as normal)

I've never properly played a Wonderboy game before, but I downloaded the trial last night and loved what I tried. I'm 100% picking up the Streets of Rage collection but am beyond tempted to pick this up too.

Are the other two entries to the collection as enjoyable as the first one? Visuals certainly look a step up, the first one still feels like a lot of fun. I'm away for the weekend so will probably decide whether to get it or not once I return home next week. If anything, I'm just happy supporting M2's wonderful job porting these games. So much nicer than Backbones stuff. I'd happily pay 800 points for a Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles collection done like this.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
bought this. soo disappointed I didn't do proper research before buying :(

what I thought I was getting

7jIY3.jpg

and
Y1hHh.jpg

+ monster land (which is there.

Imagine my disappointment when I got a bunch of "WHAT ARE THESE?!"

zaphod79

In WBML.

What does it take to get more hearts. They are not collectibles are they?

To increase your heart counter beyond the initial 5 its score - first at 30,000 and then multiples until you have 10 hearts in total , each time you earn an extra heart that new heart is full

To refill hearts during the game you you can :

Collect a heart by killing an enemy (adds 1 heart - its not totally random - the pinkish bats are generally the best to drop these but you'll learn which enemies are more likely to drop them)
Pick up a hidden heart by jumping / landing in a certain location (adds 1 heart)
Collect a large heart from a dropped enemy (gives you points based on your current heart total and refills you to full health
Defeat a boss (adds 1 heart - in this case its only a boss in their own initial room - not later in the game when they are running around the level)
Complete a level (adds 1 heart)
Buy a drink from a tavern (left = 1 heart / right = 1/2 heart)
Pay the nurse to heal you (gives bonus for remaining hearts and refills you to full health)
Use your revival pill (or medicine or whatever they are now calling it - refills 5 hearts)

ikaruga

Neo Member
Thanks zaphod79

Nice one, so its basically score based. So it seems I have to get a bit better memorizing things.

Tonight im gonna focus on this game hard. Ive got a save on the last stage but with only 3 hearts extra and I think I will need more.

zaphod79

Nice one, so its basically score based. So it seems I have to get a bit better memorizing things.

Memorization is key , you need the coins to buy stuff and to get them you need to know where they are hidden

Tonight im gonna focus on this game hard. Ive got a save on the last stage but with only 3 hearts extra and I think I will need more.

Depends where you are in that last level - if your at the start of the castle then you can buy a revival pill (hidden door) / heal from the nurse and your all set.

If your actually in the maze then your best bet is to go for some of the 'medium' monsters and hope to get a large heart container (the monkeys around kong or the skeletons after Kraken are probably the best to try for)

If your at the end of the maze then the dragon will be doable with 3 hearts if you have legendary armour / shield / sword (and easier if you have the ruby but not impossible without).

If your on Xbox then go to the leaderboard / trials / gold trial and watch the end video of the guy who was on the top last night (he had a score of around 3200 gold) - the game is being played in Japanese but he had the timing for the dragon down perfectly

Top Bottom