• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster World Collection (Wonder Boy) |OT| Wii - May 10th, XBLA/PSN - May 23rd/22nd

Yuterald

Man, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is hard as shit. I got to Round 9 with only 6 hearts and I can't for the life of me beat the Snow Kong. He's impossible with those little dudes he summons. I CONSTANTLY get knocked back in forth. I've used countless continues too which feels like shit. I think I need to start over or something and try and play more thoroughly. A legit 1 credit one of this game (without save states) would be highly impressive. I guess you just need to know where all of the coins/hidden items are and be properly equipped for some of these boss battles.

GrayFoxPL

bought this. soo disappointed I didn't do proper research before buying :(

what I thought I was getting

7jIY3.jpg

and
Y1hHh.jpg

+ monster land (which is there.

Imagine my disappointment when I got a bunch of "WHAT ARE THESE?!"

That Adventure Island is on US PSN.

Yuterald

Started over in Monster Land and I already somewhat caught up with myself. On Round 7, no credits used (using save states, but whatever). Just beat the Sphinx too! What a tough battle! Without my revival medicine I would have been fucked! This game is so awesome!!!

By the way, where the hell do you deliver this letter you find early in the game? I swear I looked all over that Barb town but I couldn't find it.

EDIT: By the way...what is up with those red and blue mice at the start of RND 7!? It's like a bumper car fest in there! It's infuriating!!! Although, they do drop crowns and such. =/

dock

I really, really, hate the wallpapers for the Sega Vintage games. Why is there no black border option? :( seriously makes me reconsider getting them.

It's so great that MWIV is out in English however. :)

Rikkun

Finally I finished Wonderboy in Monsterland! I suggest to everyone checking the replays in the leaderboards, that's how I noticed many (MANY) hidden doors really near the end.
I think now I might be able to finish it with a single token, maybe I'll try.

In the end I had everything completely powered up, a revitalizing potion and 7 hearts (I noticed only in the end you gain one with 100.000 points, I thought the armor was the key
KuGsj.gif

Oh and I didn't complete the subquest, I'll try that too.

Now MWV! I find using the animal to double jump irritating--- but whatever.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any idea where I can find the spring where I can wash my face and the Welcome to Monster World sign in Monster World IV?

Any idea where I can find the spring where I can wash my face and the Welcome to Monster World sign in Monster World IV?

"Spring to wash your face" is probably the spring outside the ice pyramid, you have to use it if you fail the quiz to open the last entrance. Also, I believe the "Welcome to Monster World" sign is in the underground caverns, which is the last area of the game.

aku:jiki

Can anyone shed some light on why the game won't give me a perfect bonus on Round 5 even though I'm finishing with full life? Does "perfect" include killing every enemy once or something?

PixyJunket said:
Like any good old-school game, you have to practice a little and learn the game.
I'm not sure I would agree that finding all the hidden money, which is pretty much essential to minimize frustration for a beginner, counts as a "little practice." You either have to play with a money guide or beat the game like 50 times to find what you need...

For example, when I had shitty shoes on my run where I didn't know where any money was, Round 6 was a fucking nightmare... With a money guide and legendary boots, it's a much more sensible challenge.

zaphod79

Can anyone shed some light on why the game won't give me a perfect bonus on Round 5 even though I'm finishing with full life? Does "perfect" include killing every enemy once or something?

No - a perfect is simply full health - is it possible you were missing a small point of health ?

I'm not sure I would agree that finding all the hidden money, which is pretty much essential to minimize frustration for a beginner, counts as a "little practice." You either have to play with a money guide or beat the game like 50 times to find what you need...

With the waggle option on a button you should be getting 60+ gold on plenty of the obvious coins and you really only need to spend money on your armour / boots / shield - i typically finish the game with 1500 - 2000 coins left its not that tight on money

Man, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is hard as shit. I got to Round 9 with only 6 hearts and I can't for the life of me beat the Snow Kong. He's impossible with those little dudes he summons. I CONSTANTLY get knocked back in forth. I've used countless continues too which feels like shit. I think I need to start over or something and try and play more thoroughly..

Chances are you've missed a sword (probably the first Kong or the Demon?)

Started over in Monster Land and I already somewhat caught up with myself. On Round 7, no credits used (using save states, but whatever). Just beat the Sphinx too! What a tough battle! Without my revival medicine I would have been fucked! This game is so awesome!!!

You dont need to fight sphinx , if you buy a drink at the final bar before his door you get some info and you can use that to answer his question - i only really know the engrish answers to the questions but they are fairly obvious (a chicken was stolen = chicken / on a diet = salad (or sarad) / broken windows = golf / loud noises = pop music)

By the way, where the hell do you deliver this letter you find early in the game? I swear I looked all over that Barb town but I couldn't find it.

Hidden door on the 2nd level - its here

wbml0005.png

Monster World IV: Really really good. I wasn't expecting the movement to be great from the Giant Bomb Quick Look, but it's surprising fun- there's a definite weight to Asha that you can quickly get the hang of, and then you're stabbing fools with ease. Horizontal attacks are useful too, and the shield is surprisingly necessary in points (although the golems gave me a hell of a lot less grief when I realised you can pretty much charge at them smashing the sword button).

I love the bosses so far, and the upgrades are pretty neat- better sword and armour and all that are nice but
the bird thing
is fucking awesome.

So yeah, love this game. Absolutely no interest in checking out the previous games, mind. Is the translation all new for this release?

But that's EXACTLY what practice and learning the game means. You're shown right from the start of the game that there's money hidden everywhere, so it's the task of the player to explore and find more. Jump around, explore a little bit and find out of the way spots and learn where the money is. And nothing else in the game is obtusely hidden, even the hardest to locate secret in the game is hinted at from the previous bartender.

Kweh

How do you get extra heart containers? The most I have gotten so far is 6.

Also struggling with how to best buy the gear. Which order to get them.

I got to the Hob Goblin and his gun just obliterates me. I guess a better shield blocks it?

Rikkun

But that's EXACTLY what practice and learning the game means. You're shown right from the start of the game that there's money hidden everywhere, so it's the task of the player to explore and find more. Jump around, explore a little bit and find out of the way spots and learn where the money is. And nothing else in the game is obtusely hidden, even the hardest to locate secret in the game is hinted at from the previous bartender.

All this. I watched some replays, I didn't explore by myself every corner in the game, but still I had to replay it 5 times before I could beat the boss (with save states obviously) and get every achievement. But now I feel I could try to climb the leaderboards and try beating the game with no saves and 1 coin.

Epcott

Just beat MWIV. Much shorter than I thought, lack of magic or a projectile weaspon made the game feel strange. Overall, I liked it. The dungeon with the conveyer belts was more infuriating than anything I've played in recent history.

Crub

Important note for everyone playing Monster World IV for the first time:
When selling your gold bars never accept the rich ladys first offer.

(Not really spoilers.)

Cranzor

I've been waiting for Monster World IV for a while and that's pretty much the reason I bought this. I tried out Monster Land and Monster World and didn't really like them much. They both felt like they had great mechanics but they just feel a little outdated. That's probably just me though, I'm not really used to these kind of games. Monster World IV is really great though. The only thing I really dislike is the saving system. I wish you could just save whenever instead of having to talk to those guys that are so hard to come across. If you die, you end up losing huge amounts of progress. I realize there are save states but that's not part of the actual game. I'm still having fun with it though, I'll probably end up finishing it tomorrow.

Epcott

I've been waiting for Monster World IV for a while and that's pretty much the reason I bought this. I tried out Monster Land and Monster World and didn't really like them much. They both felt like they had great mechanics but they just feel a little outdated. That's probably just me though, I'm not really used to these kind of games. Monster World IV is really great though. The only thing I really dislike is the saving system. I wish you could just save whenever instead of having to talk to those guys that are so hard to come across. If you die, you end up losing huge amounts of progress. I realize there are save states but that's not part of the actual game. I'm still having fun with it though, I'll probably end up finishing it tomorrow.

Pressing select allows you to save anywhere (save state). In fact, I thoroughly abused it in later dungeons by saving every few paces, so I wouldn't have to redo some of the platforming nightmares, and to conserve medicine (which is pretty finite within the game). You really don't need to save at the old man at all.

Just finished WB in Monster World and while I'm loving the games, since I'm a huge fan of the genre, I'm starting to see why they didn't reach much popularity outside of Japan... Westone just could not design fun and challenging difficulty to save their lives. All they knew was how to be cheap and frustrating. The final boss in WBiMW is pretty much the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced in my entire life. Not hard, really, since I beat him on my third go, but spirit-crushingly unfair nonetheless.

Not trying to hate, the games are awesome fun for about 80% of the way.

zaphod79 said:
No - a perfect is simply full health - is it possible you were missing a small point of health ?
I asked myself the same question so I reloaded my save state from the start of the level and did it again, three times, and every time I made it past with full life but no perfect bonus. It ended up evening out after I gave up as the very first enemy in the next level dropped a crown so I didn't end up "falling behind" on points anyway. Nice luck!

Eh, it wasn't that difficult. Besides, if you miss a jump and land in the spikes then you only get sent back to the start of the current room, which isn't a very big deal.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The final boss in WBiMW is pretty much the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced in my entire life. Not hard, really, since I beat him on my third go, but spirit-crushingly unfair nonetheless.

The boss was made more difficult for the international release, it's a cakewalk in the Japanese version.

Yuterald

I don't know about the other Monster Land games, but beating the original Monster Land without save states seems like an extremely difficult endeavor. I am at the final boss and I don't think I can outdo his health because of the timer decreasing my hearts. The final dungeon & its maze-like design + boss rush is nightmarish. I mean, maybe I don't have the best equipment (I do have 2 of the Legendary equips, however) but I found this area to be extremely difficult. I can't IMAGINE how many times you would have to start from scratch on a 1 credit run if you didn't use save states. One wrong turn/move location in Round 11 of Monster Land and you have to re-fight bosses!

Maybe I just don't remember how hard games used to be, I don't know. One crediting this game without save states, regardless of how much "practice" or "knowledge" you have is no trivial matter, in my opinion anyway. It's not that I don't dislike challenge, but holy shit some of the bouncing around in the original game can be frustrating. Seriously, there were moments during the final battle where I would literally get stuck on top of the boss, unable to move or do anything but accept death and defeat. I don't want to hear "get better!" when shit like this is happening. =/

My save states for Monster Land are all over the place right now. I am trying to get the one credit trophy, but it's not looking good. I just spent like 45 minutes trying to get my pattern or "understanding" of the final boss and I can get to his (awesome) second form without getting hit, but that fucking hourglass is what's killing me!

polg

That Adventure Island is on US PSN.

Adventure Island is not Wonder Boy.

Are there any copyright issues? I find it weird that Sega the only arcade perfect port of the arcade version of "Wonder Boy" is only on the Monster World Complete Collection

So is there no way to grind out some quick money if I've finished a "dungeon" and am back in Rapaganda in MWIV? Kinda disappointing how extremely linear it is compared to MWIII, and also kinda annoying that it seems like you have to know in advance how much the new gear in town is going to cost, so you can walk in and out of doors in the dungeon to grind up the proper amount of cash before you move on. Or, wait, can I enter the next area, make some money and use the genie to go back? That's all right then.

It's not that I don't dislike challenge, but holy shit some of the bouncing around in the original game can be frustrating. Seriously, there were moments during the final battle where I would literally get stuck on top of the boss, unable to move or do anything but accept death and defeat. I don't want to hear "get better!" when shit like this is happening. =/
The game is quite obviously designed to eat through quarters like some hungry hippos, I don't think any argument can be made to the contrary... But don't worry, the other two games in the collection aren't like that. MWIV is actually quite easy so far.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Seriously. Fuck that shit. Even though it's a sodding pain walking back to the Flame Wizard, having to get through that flame section, I refuse to use save states.

I only use it back at the title screen if I set a new high score but that's it. No continues, no save states. Old skool baby!

T-0800

Adventure Island is not Wonder Boy.

Are there any copyright issues? I find it weird that Sega the only arcade perfect port of the arcade version of "Wonder Boy" is only on the Monster World Complete Collection

I just came to post my disappoitment at no original Wonderboy. I loved Monsterland back in the day and still do but I'd love the original. The Master System had a great port but I would love the arcade version on my PS3.

Kweh

Any tips on how to defeat the Sphinx?

I have the Legendary Armor and Shield with the Great Sword.

My best strategy is to try and jump his lightning bolts and hit him as I go over them, but successfully doing this without getting hit doesn't happen very often

Is Magic the only viable way to beating him? Is it best to just plan a playthrough where you buy as much magic as you can before you get to him?

Any tips on how to defeat the Sphinx?

I have the Legendary Armor and Shield with the Great Sword.

My best strategy is to try and jump his lightning bolts and hit him as I go over them, but successfully doing this without getting hit doesn't happen very often

Is Magic the only viable way to beating him? Is it best to just plan a playthrough where you buy as much magic as you can before you get to him?
Magic is in my experience entirely useless against all bosses in all games in this collection (except for thunder on the last boss in WBiMW).

You have the wrong equipment for beating him for the achievement/trophy right now, so you need to start over or finish that run by answering his question. I mean, you can beat him with what you have now but it's going to be insanely hard and frustrating. What you need to beat him, above all else, is Legendary Boots, since they make you faster. With them on, you stay a bit away from him and jump toward him right when he's about to shoot his lightning. The lightning bounces off your shield and you're still on a trajectory to his face, so you can get one or two hits in before he teleports. Repeat until dead.

PixyJunket said:
Answer his question correctly?
He's trying to get the achievement.

Rikkun

Thanks.

Legendary Boots is a good idea, didn't think of that. Also, yes, I am trying to get the Trophy :)

Get everything you can and get there with the most hearts you can (you can use saves..).
Just stay far, jump the attack and while doing so attack her with the sword (you should have the rapier-like one). It's really easy, just don't rush your attacks.

dave_d

I don't know about the other Monster Land games, but beating the original Monster Land without save states seems like an extremely difficult endeavor. I am at the final boss and I don't think I can outdo his health because of the timer decreasing my hearts. The final dungeon & its maze-like design + boss rush is nightmarish. I mean, maybe I don't have the best equipment (I do have 2 of the Legendary equips, however) but I found this area to be extremely difficult. I can't IMAGINE how many times you would have to start from scratch on a 1 credit run if you didn't use save states. One wrong turn/move location in Round 11 of Monster Land and you have to re-fight bosses!

Not sure how it compares to the Master System version but that one I was able to beat Meka by

Stockpiling thunder and fire magics and just spamming him with those. Should I mention the trick to using fire magic on Meka?

I only use it back at the title screen if I set a new high score but that's it. No continues, no save states. Old skool baby!

Brofist.

Monster World IV: Moon Spirit rescued. This game gets a lot easier when you start being patient. Still love it- I don't think it's exactly a classic, but it sets out to be an enjoyable side-scrolling action-adventure game and it succeeds. This kind of 16-bit love is exactly what I needed at the moment. Pepe' is so cool!

Rikkun

That's true of all bosses in the game!

Unless you know how to rush your attacks, because a few of them can be cornered very well.

In some videos I saw pretty much every boss getting cornered.. I tried several times with no luck, especially with the final boss. The only ones who still give me troubles are the snow cong and the giant mushroom because of all the enemies around.

sfog

So is there no way to grind out some quick money if I've finished a "dungeon" and am back in Rapaganda in MWIV? Kinda disappointing how extremely linear it is compared to MWIII, and also kinda annoying that it seems like you have to know in advance how much the new gear in town is going to cost, so you can walk in and out of doors in the dungeon to grind up the proper amount of cash before you move on. Or, wait, can I enter the next area, make some money and use the genie to go back? That's all right then.

You can enter a new area, progress as much or little as you want (as long as you don't totally beat it), and then use the genie to return to town whenever you want. I did this on the last two dungeons repeatedly (entered, got some gold, left etc.) since the endgame upgrades are pretty expensive.

Yuterald

I finally beat Wonder Boy in Monster Land. WOW. What a tough game! I didn't get to post about it in my previous thread, but once I beat the first "form" of the final boss I nearly lost it!
Robot Dragon, lol!
The ending was so awesome in this game.
The dragon being a robot and the UFO business, too funny!
. I'm sure I'll disappoint some here in this thread, but I spammed the fuck out of save states to beat the game with one credit. I BARELY got the trophy though. I discovered a way to damage the final boss without getting hit, but it was the fucking timer that kept screwing me up.

I'm still missing a few trophies which I'll probably go back for before checking out the other two games. At some point I'll see how far I can get on default credits/one credit without save states since I know the game fairly well at this point, mechanically at least. It felt somewhat like shit to do it this way, but I don't have the patience right now to replay the game 30 some times to 1CC the game. I don't think I quite understand how to get the most money out of hidden spots either. I try and do wiggle jumps into the hidden coin spots but I don't consistently get that 60+ gold.

I gotta say though, I was quite impressed by what this game was doing for its time. I can't believe this game came out in 1987. It doesn't feel TOO dated and it's still a lot of fun. All the little fine details is what impressed me the most. Every enemy/boss having an orb on their chest to represent their health instead of an HP bar was crazy to me. I don't think too many games back then did stuff like that. Oh, and the "Lost Woods"-like Round 11 with the Megaman style boss rush? Crazy. 1986-1987 was a crazy good stretch of time for games. Zelda, Castlevania, Megaman, Ys, Monster Land.

Seriously, I was more impressed with a game from 1987 than I am with some games from 2012. I really can't wait to see how these games evolved!

Yuterald

Sorry for the double post, but I've had an epiphany with this game! I didn't know about how you could map the "wiggle" to a button. My first two playthroughs I was manually pressing left and right after my jumps. Needless to say I was rarely getting those 60+ Gold stashes. So, I was replaying the game from the start mopping up the rest of my trophies and the game just clicked. I definitely GET 1CC'ing the game. The amount of money you can amass with the wiggle mechanic is more than enough to arm yourself properly. Finding most of the secret spots isn't much of an issue either after replaying the game a few times. All you gotta do is waggle jump all over the place and you'll be swimming in dough! Some encounters and bosses were so much easier because I had legendary equipment much earlier. Such good design!

I also didn't know about the ruby and bell that you could get. After I saw where the secret door was where I needed to deliver the letter I found the rest of the secrets myself (flute & emblem). I thought going through the final dungeon on few/one credit was ridiculous. But with the bell chiming when you are in front of the "correct" direction it's no big deal at all now. Also, you can either memorize the path and forgo the bell and use the ruby for an easier final boss. SO COOL! I am so blown away by this game.

I got all 100% Trophies this evening and I'd like to try and clear the game without save states, but I'm going to move on to Monster World and IV at the moment. I'm definitely going to come back to this game and play it the real way off and on. Easily became one of my favorite old school games. For $5 this shit was a steal. I can't believe I missed all these games! =D

So far I am enjoying MW4 but there's a couple things that annoy me:

(a) playing with just the Wii remote is annoying because of the button layout.
(b) the music is ok but it repeats way too much and the loops are very short

Top Bottom