• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monument Valley iOS/Android |OT| Forgotten Shores expansion now out!

Vire

KWvWgKG.png

This is a truly beautiful looking indie game that I wanted to make GAF more aware of. I think just watching the trailer will give you a better idea of what the game is all about rather than me explaining it.

Release Trailer

Behind The Scenes with Us Two Games

iTunes App Store Link: Out Now!

Out April 3rd on iPad and iOS platforms. (Universal) $3.99 / Android Version: Out now.

"This might be the most beautiful iPad game of 2014" - Wired

"Monument Valley is looking fantastic" - Touch Arcade

"MC Escher, You're looking different, and gorgeous" - Kotaku

"The Art of Visual Trickery" - Polygon

Reviews:

Touch Arcade - 5 Stars

Polygon - 9

Pocket Gamer - 9

Edge - 8

Vire

This looks so amazing. Can't wait to play!

I wish the rest of GAF would give it a chance instead of writing it off because it's an iOS title... I think if they just watched the trailer they really would be impressed. Sometimes I feel like it's a losing battle. :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll be buying it as soon as possible. The OP needs gifs though!

I wish the rest of GAF would give it a chance instead of writing it off because it's an iOS title... I think if they just watched the trailer they really would be impressed. Sometimes I feel like it's a losing battle. :(

I feel like this could potentially be in the group of iOS games that gets GAF attention, like the Simogo stuff. The artstyle will pull people in, I think.

Jme

Looks amazing. You may want to add the price to the OP, as I had to search it out.
$3.99 (not bad)

My thoughts from the IOS thread
If I may be so bold, I'm going to go ahead and say Monument Valley is the epitome of what IOS gaming should be. At a time when "86% of gamers prefer free games with advertisments", where clones and clones of clones flood the charts and tear the spotlight away from the games that deserve it, where IAP and abusive freemium practices are rampant and only seem to grow more and more ubiquitous, we get a game like this, an original IOS exclusive, a premium game devoid of ads or in-app purchases, an experience that puts visual artistry and atmosphere first, that uses the tactile tangible nature of the touchscreen to its fullest potential, that is simple yet engaging and compelling. Monument Valley is not just a great IOS game, it's a great game regardless of system or platform.

Jimrpg

More_Badass said:
My thoughts from the IOS thread

I made a thread about that problem yesterday but seems most people in that thread prefer freemium experiences or free apps. I said that as a result of developers chasing traffic we end up with freemium experiences and wondering if that was a good thing or not.

For $4 seems very worth it, and I don't have a problem paying that for a whole and complete experience.

Also in the Toucharcade thread, the developer said that if the game does well, doesn't bomb, more chapters - both free and paid - will be added. So please, people, if you hate the path IOS gaming is on, buy this game, support developers like this

Finished the game in a little over two hours. Completing each chapter sucked, because it was an experience I didn't want to end.

Vire

Also in the Toucharcade thread, the developer said that if the game does well, doesn't bomb, more chapters - both free and paid - will be added. So please, people, if you hate the path IOS gaming is on, buy this game, support developers like this

Finished the game in a little over two hours. Completing each chapter sucked, because it was an experience I didn't want to end.
Two hours seems fair considering the price and quality. Just beat the first few levels and I'm already liking it quite a bit!

Edit: Wow, this game is stunning on retina display. Just love the audio/visuals in this.

Vire

Truly looks beautiful, but what is the actual gameplay?

The closest thing I could compare it to is Echochrome, albeit a bit simpler. Each level introduces a new mechanic and there are some really clever ideas in it.

Don't want to give away too much since the game is rather short.

Silentium

Awesome news. Definitely my thinking as well, at $5 for a two hour experience I can think of worse ways to spend my money.

Cross-posting thoughts from the iOS thread
Just picked up Monument Valley. Game doesn't seem super long, but I remember watching an interview (I think it was MV) where the director/designer indicated they were going for a length that most people would finish.

Graphics are outstanding, simple but work perfectly for what the developers are trying to achieve. Definitely has a Fez feel about it, and main game mechanics are definitely inspired by Fez. Expensive for what it is (especially with the Australian price rise), but I'm happy to pay a little more to support innovative iOS games like this.

SmokyDave

The closest thing I could compare it to is Echochrome, albeit a bit simpler. Each level introduces a new mechanic and there are some really clever ideas in it.

Don't want to give away too much since the game is rather short.
Only played the first few 'chapters', but I'm definitely getting Echocrome vibes (only without the auto-walking).

I think this might be the most stylish thing I've ever laid eyes on.

ustwo-Dan

Neo Member
Hi guys, dropping by to say thanks for making the thread and really glad you enjoy the game! i'll keep this tab open and answer any questions you might have as well.

Anyone met Pillar Bro yet?

SmokyDave

Hi guys, dropping by to say thanks for making the thread and really glad you enjoy the game! i'll keep this tab open and answer any questions you might have as well.

Anyone met Pillar Bro yet?
Dude, I'm besotted with it. Only had time to play the first 5 chapters so far, but I've been flashing it around the office encouraging anyone with an iPhone to download it. I hope it does well for you.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just bought it too. It's amazing. I love it. But I thought it was supposed to sync my save game. I just tried to continue on my iPhone and it didn't download my save file from iCloud. :(

ustwo-Dan

Neo Member
For those with an Android device, we're hoping to have that version released for about four weeks from now btw, not long!

A mind blowing game. So beautiful, so clever, so essential.

This is the first time I've stayed up for an iOS game release. Well worth the wait.

Lucifon

Hopefully this hits PC soon. Got rid of my iPad late last year, first time I've wished I'd had it for a game since then.

Hopefully this hits PC soon. Got rid of my iPad late last year, first time I've wished I'd had it for a game since then.
Honestly I feel the game would be lacking such an important aspect if it was on PC. The art style, the level design, and the ability to push and pull and prod all go hand and hand in making the experience so compelling and cohesive. Without that tactile nature of the touchscreen, I think the game would only be a shadow of what it is now.

Top Bottom