• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More bad behavior at Yellowstone - man walks off boardwalk and dies in hot spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

giphy.gif

BriGuy

Instantly blind but a while to cook

I felt bad even typing that

his nerves probably were all burned fairly fast though
This happened to another guy at Yellowstone a number of years back. His dog ran into the hotspring and he jumped in to rescue it. The dog died out there, but the guy's friends somehow were able to pull him back on dry land. He complained about not being able to see, and it was because he essentially melted his eyeballs out of their sockets. The guy died in the hospital a few days later due to third degree burns covering 100% of his body.

Really scary stuff and one of the reasons I would refuse to take my dog to Yellowstone. I know she wouldn't hesitate to take a dive without checking first.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This happened to another guy at Yellowstone a number of years back. His dog ran into the hotspring and he jumped in to rescue it. The dog died out there, but the guy's friends somehow were able to pull him back on dry land. He complained about not being able to see, and it was because he essentially melted his eyeballs out of their sockets. The guy died in the hospital a few days later due to third degree burns covering 100% of his body.

Really scary stuff and one of the reasons I would refuse to take my dog to Yellowstone. I know she wouldn't hesitate to take a dive without checking first.

Jesus christ

I am never visiting Yellowstone in my life, that shit is too dangerous. How can people even take their kids there? I'd die of heart attack just thinking about it.

I am never visiting Yellowstone in my life, that shit is too dangerous. How can people even take their kids there? I'd die of heart attack just thinking about it.

Typically people don't go frolicking through the boiling, acidic water like jackasses, they follow the rules for their safety.
Even though this horrific incident happened, this is still a rare occurrence.

"hey bill, I'ma jump this here fence"

"gosh cody, lookit that fella floatin'! You best not less'n you wanna end up like him"

That fella is someones son, brother, boyfriend, nephew. Everyone does stupid things when they are young and think they are indestructible. Unfortunately this guy paid with his life.

I can't imagine the pain he felt, I hope it was quick.

That fella is someones son, brother, boyfriend, nephew. Everyone does stupid things when they are young and think they are indestructible. Unfortunately this guy paid with his life.

Did you jump into a hot spring when you were young or did you have common sense to know that shit was likely dangerous?

No_Style

If only they had something to prevent people from wandering off the boardwalk like a velvet rope.

1222704.gif

I won't be surprised to hear them fence in the path after all these incidents. Or just have a sign reminding visitors the X amount of days since the hot springs consumed a life. Straight up scare people into thinking if they want to reset the counter.

oneils

It was rejected by its mother for smelling like tourists if I recall correctly.

It was already separated from its mother when the tourists found it. It's likely the mother had already rejected it. That's why they brought it to the Rangers, they didn't know what else to do.

Edit: they were crossing a river when the calf was swept away. It managed to get out of the river, but by then it was separated from its mother.

Carcetti

The death in the OP is so stupid it's hard to feel much empathy but this on the other hand is bringing tears to my eyes. Horrible death due to empathy for a pet.

Shredderi

Must be nice living in holier than thou land and I can guarantee EVERYONE has done dumb stuff that could have gotten them hurt in the the past.

You have a lot of sympathy for the guy, you're a good man with a good heart. But this was on a whole another level of foolishness compared to the usual "dumb shit people do while young". God I hope the guy didn't suffer too much. That is propably a tall order to ask given that he fell into an acidic boil bath though.

eXistor

I'm just for closing the park entirely. People are gonna be people, this will not be the last time something like this is gonna happen. It sucks, but people really are their own worst enemy.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I go to Yellowstone all the time because of work and these things pisses me off to no end. that thing with the Canadian walking around in Grand Prismatic in the OP was even worse because that's a very populated area and it's a signature location of Yellowstone.

Zelias

Banned
I'm just for closing the park entirely. People are gonna be people, this will not be the last time something like this is gonna happen. It sucks, but people really are their own worst enemy.
You're overreacting. Incidents like these are rare, why punish the vast majority of parkgoers who aren't suicidally stupid?

SpaceWolf

Banned

"Man, 32, falls off the Eiffel Tower"

THAT'S IT LADS, WE NEED TO SHUT DOWN FRANCE, PRONTO.

Zoe

Considering how dumb society is and the way everything works with lawsuits and everything I'm surprised that entire boardwalk isn't littered with signs "Do NOT exit the path"
Signs aren't gonna stop people. Our local trails and bodies of water were closed earlier this week due to floodgates being opened, but news crews parked themselves in front of signs and gates and got footage of people crossing the barriers all day.

Several people have died over the past two weeks because "it looked safe" or "the weather was so nice".

Hazmat

That's absurd. Millions of people visit Yellowstone every year and they don't die because they aren't idiots who wander off trails and boardwalks put there for their own safety.

M.W.

Close the park? Fuck that. If people wanna Darwin, let em Darwin.

Horrendous way to go.

I'll never forget the story in Bill Bryson's 'A Short History..." of a group of teens who went for a midnight dip in one of the springs at Yellowstone(not all are 200c and highly acidic), lost their bearings and ended up jumping into a boiling pool. None survived. :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Feel bad for his family and anybody else who was close enough to witness this idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom