• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More bad behavior at Yellowstone - man walks off boardwalk and dies in hot spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a way to go.

I imagine the shock of not only bathing in but swallowing 200 degree celcius water would pretty much kill your nervous system instantly, so maybe it wasn't too bad.

Farenheit. 200 celsius water is steam.

Oh ok. So it was really just a freak accident.

Freak accident in that he wandered off the safe area past the DANGER signs and stood close enough to a pit of boiling, acidic water that slipping and falling was a risk, yes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I feel bad for the family but the guy was a dumbass. Darwin Award material.

The dog story on the other hand is tragic.

Not really. Someone jumping in a hot spring to get a dog shows lack of good judgment under pressure. "Darwin Award Material" too, maybe more so since they knowingly did it instead of accidentally doing it. But people have an easier time showing empathy for a pet story. They're both tragic, someone showing bad judgement before they died doesn't change that. Maybe he was retrieving his sister's hat like the story the other poster told about their mom? Does that make it less tragic or more tragic? Maybe he was just being bold. Still tragic either way.

Hovering over people and saying that there death is less tragic because people deem themselves intellectually superior is a dangerous road to go down. You could play that game all day. Someone dies of a heart attack, well they shouldn't have eaten like shit all those years.

Many posters were quick to call for the Cincinnati Zoo to get sued when the 4 year old child decided to jump into a gorilla pit after climbing over the fence. The obvious sentiment in this thread is that the guy was a complete idiot and should be laughed at for his stupidity. Here's a question: if a 4 year old boy had jumped the fence and died in the springs as a result, should the park be liable for his death? Should there be more effective barriers?

I think there are just some situations where dumb, reckless, or mentally-impaired people are going to end up dying, and we shouldn't encase the world in plexiglass to cater to them. Thoughts?

M52B28

Banned
No. If a 4 year old fell in, I don't think the park should be changed.

There are risks for some things, and the parents should be able to understand that if they're taking their child to a potentially lethal park.

Many posters were quick to call for the Cincinnati Zoo to get sued when the 4 year old child decided to jump into a gorilla pit after climbing over the fence. The obvious sentiment in this thread is that the guy was a complete idiot and should be laughed at for his stupidity. Here's a question: if a 4 year old boy had jumped the fence and died in the springs as a result, should the park be liable for his death? Should there be more effective barriers?

I think there are just some situations where dumb, reckless, or mentally-impaired people are going to end up dying, and we shouldn't encase the world in plexiglass to cater to them. Thoughts?

This is a different situation from a zoo as it's a natural formation that you are viewing, not a manufactured facility.

Imagine the Grand Canyon being completely surrounded with guard rail.

Fox318

There are signs all over the fucking place telling people not to do this.

Fuck anyone thinking of doing this.

That guy deserved to die and frankly the 6 assholes running around probably deserved the same fate.

Alebrije

Some people think going to a Natural Park is like Disneyland. More than 20 people has died or injured on those pods.

A guy fell from a 400 feets clif just for take a picture at Yellowstone and died.

Natural parks are dangerous if yo do not follow te rules and use common sense

Jarmel

Banned
Not really. Someone jumping in a hot spring to get a dog shows lack of good judgment under pressure. "Darwin Award Material" too, maybe more so since they knowingly did it instead of accidentally doing it. But people have an easier time showing empathy for a pet story. They're both tragic, someone showing bad judgement before they died doesn't change that. Maybe he was retrieving his sister's hat like the story the other poster told about their mom? Does that make it less tragic or more tragic? Maybe he was just being bold. Still tragic either way.

Hovering over people and saying that there death is less tragic because people deem themselves intellectually superior is a dangerous road to go down. You could play that game all day. Someone dies of a heart attack, well they shouldn't have eaten like shit all those years.
The man had adrenaline pumping through his system as he saw his dog literally being burned alive. People do stupid things for their animals and view their pets as companions. I personally wouldn't have done it but I know people who in the heat of the moment would have said "Fuck it" and tried.

Here you have a dumbass who for no seemingly good reason other than to show off, did something profoundly stupid. He has zero reason to be messing around that far from the boardwalk.

GhaleonEB

Must be nice living in holier than thou land and I can guarantee EVERYONE has done dumb stuff that could have gotten them hurt in the the past.

When I went to Yellowstone a couple years ago, it was hard to miss the literal signs and warnings all over the hot springs areas, stating they are scalding hot vats of acid and to stay on the boadwalks for safety.

He was an adult, and did something not only stupid, but flagrantly dangerous. It's like jogging through lanes of rush hour traffic on a dare levels of dumb.

Kurdel

Banned
When I went to Yellowstone a couple years ago, it was hard to miss the literal signs and warnings all over the hot springs areas, stating they are scalding hot vats of acid and to stay on the boadwalks for safety.

He was an adult, and did something not only stupid, but flagrantly dangerous. It's like jogging through lanes of rush hour traffic on a dare levels of dumb.

Yep.

As a 15 year old thoses signs scared the shit out of me.

jstripes

Banned
This is my problem with people. Intellectual/moral superiority leading to a complete lack of empathy.

How are you so conscious you care about animals but so high on that and dumb you don't give a fuck about humans?

Its like you're trying to project that you're better than the guy by displaying you care about the baby bison and he didn't but are showing you're still a shitty human because you don't care about a humans life BECAUSE of your moral superiority to them

It's because people assume animals are pure and innocent, and humans not so much.

I still do not understand why they euthanized the baby bison (old story) instead of sending it to the rescue farms people have for animals. I bet you $1000 someone would have gladly rescued it if they put up an ad for it.

Man.....neogaf is a scary place sometimes.

"That guy deserved to die"

....Jesus

I feel horrible for his family, but it's just hard to feel sympathy for complete and utter stupidity deaths. And I'd say he is a piece of shit for putting his sister through this to go and do something so stupid
I still do not understand why they euthanized the baby bison (old story) instead of sending it to the rescue farms people have for animals. I bet you $1000 someone would have gladly rescued it if they put up an ad for it.
[/QUOTE
Can the bison then go back out into the wild or would have to be taken care for it's entire life?

Zeke

Guy was a fucking idiot him and his sister. People like this end up ruining places for everyone else. I'm glad rangers called off recovery attempts. No need for rangers to risk their own lives for someone who didn't care about their own. I have zero sympathy for people like him and his sister. Sucks for his mom and dad tho.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It's like jogging through lanes of rush hour traffic on a dare levels of dumb.

I wouldn't say that. It's stupid, but people do exactly what he did (minus slipping in) and end up fine.

Maybe he saw the youtube video of 6 dudes walking around off the path and thought it would be alright. Dude made a dumb mistake, and paid the ultimate price for it.

Culex

Banned
I wouldn't say that. It's stupid, but people do exactly what he did (minus slipping in) and end up fine.

Maybe he saw the youtube video of 6 dudes walking around off the path and thought it would be alright. Dude made a dumb mistake, and paid the ultimate price for it.

I wouldn't call it a mistake. He was nearly 2 football fields off the boardwalk.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Well you can also run through traffic and come out fine just saying ;D

Alexlf

Now just think, he probably panicked and had his mouth open and swallowed 200 degree acidic water.

Ya, I imagine feeling the water cook and eat through your mouth, esophagus, then lungs, before finally leaking into your diaphragm wouldn't have been fun.

Not really a freak accident given what he did. Walking off the boardwalk is super dangerous.

Farenheit. 200 celsius water is steam.

Freak accident in that he wandered off the safe area past the DANGER signs and stood close enough to a pit of boiling, acidic water that slipping and falling was a risk, yes.

Oh wow... ok, so not exactly a freak accident, but a really, really, stupid decision.

Sephzilla

That's a horrible way to die. I feel sorry for anyone who witnessed it happened. It's hard to feel sorry for the actual person though since he did something amazingly stupid and dangerous.

Alexlf

this man understood how it feels to be a lobster in his last moments

Much worse, lobsters don't have a comparable Endocrine system as far as I know, not to mention the water's much hotter and not acidic when we cook them. His adrenaline from panicking probably kept him alive and conscious for a relativly long time, while a lobster would die nearly instantly.

Really? You read about a guy getting boiled alive while his sister watches and this is what you take away from it. Not singling you out, there a couple more natural selection jokes.

Do people that think like this say the same thing when someone gets hit by a car while wearing headphones or if they die from an inheritable disease?

I wish it was a joke. Accidents happen like in your scenario. People end up with bad luck with having bad genes. You can't avoid inheritable diseases.

But this idiot decided to not obey the rules and there were consequences. He walked over two football fields of land away from the boardwalk with signs saying you shouldn't do it.
I don't have sympathy. I feel sorry for his sister for witnessing that, but at what time did someone try to stop him or him realizing it's not a good idea? Was it when he first took a step off the board walk?
10 yards?
25 yards?
50 yards?
a football field away? No, he kept going you say?
150 yards?
200 yards?
He went beyond that way from the boardwalk AND then he decided to turn back.

If you do something intentional that may result in your own loss of life and end up with your own loss of life, you didn't care much for it.

Zoe

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yellowstone-baby-bison-euthanasia_us_573a2f77e4b08f96c183dbf5
On its Facebook page, Yellowstone explains: “In order to ship the calf out of the park, it would have had to go through months of quarantine to be monitored for brucellosis. No approved quarantine facilities exist at this time, and we don’t have the capacity to care for a calf that’s too young to forage on its own.”

lawnchair

Banned
besides common sense, i'd assume that there are also signs around telling you to keep your stupid ass on the boardwalk ... smh

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I wouldn't call it a mistake. He was nearly 2 football fields off the boardwalk.

Hm. Not sure how to respond to this. There are varying degrees of severity when it comes to mistakes. I wouldn't know what else to call it if it's not classified as a mistake.

Well you can also run through traffic and come out fine just saying ;D

The perceived danger is the difference. You also can come out just fine by lighting a house on fire and locking the doors, but the chances are slim.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Much worse, lobsters don't have a comparable Endocrine system as far as I know, not to mention the water's much hotter and not acidic when we cook them. His adrenaline from panicking probably kept him alive and conscious for a relativly long time, while a lobster would die nearly instantly.

Fuuuuuuck

jblank83

besides common sense, i'd assume that there are also signs around telling you to keep your stupid ass on the boardwalk ... smh

As others have mentioned, they're all over the place.

Even without the signs, the water is steaming, boiling, and smells acidic. I don't think it's a disgustingly imperialistic assumption to say that walking out into those areas is a monumentally, historically stupid decision.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The perceived danger is the difference. You also can come out just fine by lighting a house on fire and locking the doors, but the chances are slim.

I think that was the point of the original comment was making or at least how I read it. Both are incredibly stupid, dangerous things that common sense alone should have warned you away from and this guy paid the price as he was not lucky enough to get away from the foolishness unharmed. The situation is terrible but he made a really really bone headed decisions and kept pushing his luck by going out farther and farther and taking his sister with him? We're lucky it wasnt two people sucked in.

Alexlf

Fuuuuuuck

It's pretty terrible to say, but the best thing we can hope for is that he didn't know how to swim and drowned relatively quickly :(

EDIT:

If it helps, whilst awake, its likely his nerves burned out pretty fast

You ever broken a tooth or bone, or had anything that permanently affects your body negatively? You know that sinking feeling you get, that "well, this happened" state of mind? Imagine how intense it must be when you catch a glimpse of your hand beneath the crystal clear geyser water, and it's pure muscle, no skin left. When you find the reason you're starting to sink beneath the water is because your legs have stopped working. When you realize the sharp-pain-into-growing-dullness in your chest is all the water you've swallowed and inhaled, literally cooking you from the inside out. And that's after the 3 minutes of excruciating, mind numbing, inescapable pain he'd have experienced when he first fell in.

This is probably, bar none, the worst way to go.

Chococat

Hm. Not sure how to respond to this. There are varying degrees of severity when it comes to mistakes. I wouldn't know what else to call it if it's not classified as a mistake.

Willfull endangerment. He consciously ignored the warning signs, left the safety of the path, and walked a sizable distance away from safe ground.

No, I don't think he deserved to die. But it is hard to feel full empathy for the guy when he choose to do something so stupid. The guy who went in after his dog- yeah I feel bad for him and the dog. That was a split second decision to save a companions life in-spite of the known danger. Not wise, but it was a heroic effort.

Ya, I imagine feeling the water cook and eat through your mouth, esophagus, then lungs, before finally leaking into your diaphragm wouldn't have been fun.
I imagine it feels like this
901950.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom