• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Dynasty Warriors 9 characters revealed Diao chan, Cao Cao, Sun Jian, Liu Bei

NZerker12

Credit to Gematsu for the info

We have some new info and character reveals for DW9.

Characters

Wei

Cao Cao (voiced by Yukimasa Kishino)

DW9_07-20-17_001.jpg

Future King of Wei. During his youth, a prophecy called him the ”Hero of Chaos."
Blessed with discernment and decisiveness, he first showed his abilities during the Yellow Turban Rebellion.
He was both ambitious and rational and sometimes showed a fierce, cold side, which caused those around him to fear his presence.
Talented in literature as well, he wrote both military strategy texts and books of poems.

Wu

Sun Jian (voiced by Yasuhiko Tokuyama)

DW9_07-20-17_002.jpg

Said to be a descendant of Sun Tzu. He was an officer who maintained a bright, calm outlook on life.
He excelled at numerous roles and was a wise leader, a valiant fighter, and a gentle father.
After distinguishing himself against pirates, he participated in suppressing the Yellow Turbans and was made Prefect of Changsha.
He served as a vanguard in the coalition against Dong Zhuo and was among the first to arrive in Luoyang.

Sun Quan (voiced by Hisayoshi Suganuma)

DW9_07-20-17_003.jpg

Second son of Sun Jian and younger brother to Sun Ce.
Sun Quan was praised for his skills in governance.
Although he lacked confidence in his physical abilities and decision making, he eventually became a great leader.

Shu

Liu Bei (voiced by Moriya Endou)

DW9_07-20-17_004.jpg

Descendant of Liu Sheng, King of the Eastern Han dynasty.
He took to the battlefield alongside his oath-brothers Guan Yu and Zhang Fei in order to bring peace to the people and prosperity back to the Han Dynasty.
Compassionate and charitable, he had a tendency to act based on feelings more than logic.
His warm personality earned him the love and loyalty of many people.

Other

Yuan Shao (voiced by Osamu Ryutani)

DW9_07-20-17_005.jpg

Yuan Shao became the leader of the Coalition that gathered to end the tyranny of Dong Zhuo.
Following Dong Zhuo's death, he fought his longtime acquaintance Cao Cao over control of the central plains.
He had both ability and power commensurate with his noble birth, but at the same time suffered from the conceit and vulnerability prevalent among the nobility.

Diaochan (voiced by Rika Komatsu)

DW9_07-20-17_006.jpg

Raised by Wang Yun as his own daughter, Diaochan, a skilled singer and dancer, was considered one of the most beautiful women of her time.
She agreed to participate in a plan to divide Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu and managed to get close to both of them, succeeding in tearing their relationship apart.
Veiled by her beauty, she carried the same burning passion like many great war heroes.

I really like how they are going back and pulling design ideas from the pre-6 games. First Lu Xun's hat, now Liu Bei gets his hat and mustache back and Sun Jian and Yuan Shao see their helmets return.

Looks like we're calling back to pre DW6 designs which is nice. Hopefully the characterization for some of the cast reverts back to how they were before DW6 as well.

ReaperXL7

Who's the guy with the big drill spear? Unless I'm thinking of another musou game he's the the one I've used the most in the past.

Really interested in seeing how the open world works for this series.

TreIII

Again, the thing that most interests me is what they'll do for the Jin kids, since they don't have "pre-DW6" era designs to fall back on, and many where created when the designs for this series were at their most anachronistic.

Should be interesting to see, in any case. Glad to see that they gave Liu Bei back his stache.

VexyWexy

What's old is new again, I guess?

I haven't been keeping up with news on DW9, is it cutting back on the roster to the point where these regulars being in would be considered reveals?

I haven't been keeping up with news on DW9, is it cutting back on the roster to the point where these regulars being in would be considered reveals?

Nah, I think they already confirmed that everyone was already returning. It's just a matter of seeing their new designs.

NZerker12

Actually the game is going to have the entire DW8 roster as well as a few new characters.

Deepwater

Young man Liu Bei is no more then? Good cause I always thought it was weird considering 7 and 8 stretched out into Liu Shan's time and having them both be so young was weird

The Dink

Design-wise this entry looks better than the last few in the series for me.

Especially this Lu Bu:
dynasty-warriors-9-lu-bu.jpg

Might give it a shot if it keeps up this way. Haven't played a DW seriously since number 4. Also, Liu Bei w/stache is best Liu Bei.

Wow, these costumes definitely harken back to the older DW games. I like them very much! I eagerly await the return of Zhang Liao!!

Who's the guy with the big drill spear? Unless I'm thinking of another musou game he's the the one I've used the most in the past.

Really interested in seeing how the open world works for this series.

You might be thinking of Deng Ai, one of the generals of the Jin faction.

He'll probably be revealed much later on, but he's a lock for this game.

Liu Bei looks downright menacing now. Cao Cao's face looks a little off but otherwise everyone looks great. Hopefully they're also taking a hard look at the characters that have become parodies of themselves in recent games, like Yuan Shao or the entirety of Shu.

Josephl64

I'm so excited for this game, and I absolutely love the new Liu Bei design. It's so reminiscent of the earlier titles, and looks so great. I believe this is my new favorite Liu Bei design.

All the design I'm liking a ton so far, especially Sun Shang Xiang who's my main in the series.

I feel confident about the designs now, I just want to see more gameplay and maps.

Skyo

The designs look amazing so far! Great to see Liu Bei rocking a beard again. No crazy weapons yet... :D

dramatis

No historical realism for female character designs lol

No, it is correct. During Cao Cao's lifetime, the highest rank he received was King of Wei; he died without usurping the Han throne. Emperor Xian (last Han emperor) abdicated his throne after Cao Cao died, and Cao Pi became the first emperor of the Cao Wei dynasty.

Josephl64

You can opt to remove Liu Bei's goatee.

Bastards Koei...trying to appeal to everyone. Facial hair Liu Bei is superior and everyone should get on board with that.

Agreed, glad facial hair Liu Bei is a thing again.

This should be called "design" reveals, not "character" reveals as it's obvious they will be in the game.

I hope Zhao Yun will be fun to play as again.

I guess, but we do know that all characters will be returning.

Gotta care about sexiness more than realism when it comes to certain female designs in this series unfortunately.

the sexiness is fine, I'm sure there's alt costumes for her which would be more conservative if you prefer that.
Also DW would be quite bland if it was historical. Some characters not existing(almost all females), Hulao Gate, and all of these generals looking the same because of standardized armor. that being said...Diao Chan being sexy fits in with a narrative tecmo koei might want to use of her influencing Lu Bu and Dong Zhou against each other. She can go in an direction seeing as she's one of the characters rumored to have never lived at all.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to Dynasty Warrioirs, so, I have a question: Does any of these games lets you play as Huo Yuanjia?

Top Bottom