• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Dynasty Warriors 9 characters revealed Diao chan, Cao Cao, Sun Jian, Liu Bei

DxD

Banned
This should be called "design" reveals, not "character" reveals as it's obvious they will be in the game.

I hope Zhao Yun will be fun to play as again.

Has ZY even been fun to play with?
Thrust, thrust, thrust, and running thrust...ughh, and a weak mid-range sweeps.

Anyway, time to properly play as Lu Bu in this open world game and making everyone runs in fear.

ShyMel

Probably but when they changed weapons didn't they give like 3 female characters whips too? I liked the uniqueness.

I know Zhen Ji was given a whip in DW6 too but was given her flute back in the later games. Also they introduced weapon switching.

Liking most the designs so far. Diao Chan I'm rather iffy on since I still miss her maces.

Slightly OT, but has any of these games convinced people to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

It got me interested in the history of the period and in turn RotK and Water Margins. The translation I read of RotK wasn't great though? Or at least the reviews I found on it suggest it wasn't a great adaption. It's been quite a few years since I read it though.

Lucumo

Has ZY even been fun to play with?
Thrust, thrust, thrust, and running thrust...ughh, and a weak mid-range sweeps.

Anyway, time to properly play as Lu Bu in this open world game and making everyone runs in fear.
What? His combo game in DW8 was excellent, in my opinion.

Mephala

I love that despite lots of little redesigns the main characters are all instantly recognisable due to colours, weapons and occasionally some motifs or ornaments.

Wait, did DW6 have the best art in the franchise??

Dynasty Warriors 6 did a lot wrong, but the concept art was killer. I still have that artbook.

caocao-600.jpg

huanggai-600.jpg

yueying-600.jpg

No historical realism for female character designs lol

No, it is correct. During Cao Cao's lifetime, the highest rank he received was King of Wei; he died without usurping the Han throne. Emperor Xian (last Han emperor) abdicated his throne after Cao Cao died, and Cao Pi became the first emperor of the Cao Wei dynasty.

And Sima Yi beat everyone

Sima Yi THE TRUE EMPEROR OF CHINA

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Liu Bei looking cool as shit with the stasche.

Where's my girl Wang Yi? Can't wait to see Lian Shi too.

God damn, Liu Bei lookin' good with that stache.

He looks more menacing too, like a true emperor. Wonder if that'll affect his goody two shoes personality.

Good looking armor, and nice to see Liu Bei with this mustache and Yuan Shao not appearing too eccentric [for the period]. I typically prefer the traditional RTK portraits, and while these are still definitely more DW than RTK, they remind me more of DW3 and DW4.

Gxgear

Always felt the Sun and Yuan family were not as well designed compared to the popular characters, but they looks much better this time around.

Liu Bei continues to defy father time.

Evilisk

Fucking finally on Liu Bei getting his 'stache back. I never liked babyface Liu Bei.

I am slightly gonna miss Sun Jian's old look though. I really disliked it before, but after hours of WO3U (and being able to pick between his older costumes) I've actually grown to like it (at least his DW7 version)

Gotta care about sexiness more than realism when it comes to certain female designs in this series unfortunately.

While I generally agree, I think it's fine for Diao Chan for all characters.

Shengar

Seems the designs gone way back to DW3, which isn't bad by any stretch.

Gotta care about sexiness more than realism when it comes to certain female designs in this series unfortunately.

Diaochan is a dancer so....

We should hold our judgement until more 'warrior' female character released.

(I'm not actually disagreeing about sexiness take too much importance in female character design since I'm prefer at least properly armored outfit. But directing that complaint to a character which her importance in the novel lies in seducing and sown discord between a liege and his lord seems misplaced.)

Definitely more inspired by older DW games, still expecting the pretty boy-band style for the younger guns though. Still wondering what nonsense anime weapons will show up this time.

Just hoping they keep my girl Xing Cai in tact. Every new DW game makes me antsy that they will lolify her lol, shes avoided it each game thus far!

Just hoping they keep my girl Xing Cai in tact. Every new DW game makes me antsy that they will lolify her lol, shes avoided it each game thus far!

They actually seemed to be treating all the pre-6 characters with some certain measure of respect. I mean, at least Xing Cai and Guan Ping act more mature than the other Guan children and extended family that were dropped in 7 and 8.

massoluk

Banned

No, it is correct. During Cao Cao's lifetime, the highest rank he received was King of Wei; he died without usurping the Han throne. Emperor Xian (last Han emperor) abdicated his throne after Cao Cao died, and Cao Pi became the first emperor of the Cao Wei dynasty.
Ooooh I missed that trivia

Top Bottom