• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Firefox Issues..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Uh... Ive never had my start page hijacked either.

I use IE almost exclusively and i dont get any off this spyware shit people always blame ie for either. Its called not being a retard. Dont click yes when it says "DO YOU WANT TO INSTALL GATOR SUPER XXXTREME EDITION?"

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Spectral Glider said:
In ALL cases, IE has something to do with it.....and you can say that, I'll simply choose not to believe you.
Good thinking -- make blanket statements and choose to automatically disbelieve people who present evidence contrary to what you think.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There was a hijack script running on the old GA boards. It would open up all your optical drives, the screen would flash and you'd hear giggling and sh!t.

That was the last time I ever used IE. You guys don't remember that?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DaCocoBrova said:
There was a hijack script running on the old GA boards. It would open up all your optical drives, the screen would flash and you'd hear giggling and sh!t.

Yeah, I do remember that. Tons of people complained. It never happened to me, though.

Wow so much meaningless fighting... let me see. Stop trying to force clip to run Mozilla and such if he doesn't want to. It didn't work out for him again (though, I don't think he gave it much of a chance) so too bed he can go back to IE and move on with his life. A lot of people haven't had any problems so I don't think he or anyone else can't relaly say that Mozilla or Firefox is "shit" as I saw clip reference earlier in one of his posts.

Anyways, sorry you couldn't enjoy the program. If anything keep with whatever you're comfortable with and we should all just stop bitching about it. :p

dem said:
Uh... Ive never had my start page hijacked either.

I use IE almost exclusively and i dont get any off this spyware shit people always blame ie for either. Its called not being a retard. Dont click yes when it says "DO YOU WANT TO INSTALL GATOR SUPER XXXTREME EDITION?"

Though I must say, you're quite the rude poster. Why the fuck are calling other people retards because they get their broswer hijacked? You do realize that there are ways to hijack browser WITHOUT the yes/no activex respose. There are holes that allow people to get in without you knowing. So I think you're not in a place to be calling people a retard. Grow up.

human5892 said:
Good thinking -- make blanket statements and choose to automatically disbelieve people who present evidence contrary to what you think.

My evidence to the contrary is that everyone I know who owns or has owned a PC has had some form of hijacking occur through IE at some point....from start pages and mysterious new bookmarks appearing to spyware and other more serious threats. If you are so certain that it hasn't happened to you, then congratulations. Bon't don't act like it's not a fairly large issue in terms of browsers and browsing, or that it's not a specific issue for IE, because it is.

dem

Yes.. I'm a meanie. Boohoo ..wah wah.. etc

I dont have a firewall... i dont have any antivirus software.. i run ie/outlook almost exlusively. You know how much spyware is on my system? NONE. You know how many viruses i have? NONE. Know why? CAUSE I CLICK WINDOWS UPDATE ONCE IN AWHILE.

Is there ways to highjack ie? Sure.. but where the hell are you browsing? Hackmeplzihaveie.com?

Lets get something straight GA. I don't loathe firefox. I think its a good program. As a matter of fact, I think the end product will be very satisfying. I just happen to be having issues with it for what ever reason, and it's making my firefox experience not as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

Sure, it has lots of cool features, blah blah blah, but if browsing/viewing various webpages turns out to be more of a task for me(which after all is the main reason we use web browsers, right). Why should I continue to burden myself, when I can have a much easier time in IE?.

You see, I don't have problems with viruses, or spyware etc.. and though it doesn't have all the nifty options, IE does exactly what I want it to(browse webpages properly), and does it right 99%. When firefox is can do this with out being buggy. I'll be the first one to jump the microsoft ship for good.

until then, it's just another program that I'll play around with occasionally.

dem said:

I dont have a firewall... i dont have any antivirus software.. i run ie/outlook almost exlusively. You know how much spyware is on my system? NONE. You know how many viruses i have? NONE. Know why? CAUSE I CLICK WINDOWS UPDATE ONCE IN AWHILE.

Is there ways to highjack ie? Sure.. but where the hell are you browsing? Hackmeplzihaveie.com?

Did you not read this?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Spectral Glider said:
My evidence to the contrary is that everyone I know who owns or has owned a PC has had some form of hijacking occur through IE at some point....from start pages and mysterious new bookmarks appearing to spyware and other more serious threats. If you are so certain that it hasn't happened to you, then congratulations. Bon't don't act like it's not a fairly large issue in terms of browsers and browsing, or that it's not a specific issue for IE, because it is.
That's a little better. ;)

Seriously, I know it is an issue with IE, as I admitted. But to say that ALL spyware/security issues are due to IE -- and then to accuse me of lying about my homepage never getting switched to boot -- is just ridiculous.

dem said:
Ive been reading ga FOREVER... and thats never happened to me.

That's not what I'm getting at. I'm saying that it really doesn't have to be a malicious site in the first place to get a problem.

bionic77

dem said:

If you are on broadband I can almost guarantee that you have at least one virus and tons of spyware on there, you just don't know it yet. Regardless of whether or not you use IE or Firefox or any other browser, it is more important that you have some sort of firewall if you are on a broadband connection. And most likely you can't tell that you have a virus because you don't have any antivirus software to inform you of the fact.

dem

bionic77 said:
If you are on broadband I can almost guarantee that you have at least one virus and tons of spyware on there, you just don't know it yet. Regardless of whether or not you use IE or Firefox or any other browser, it is more important that you have some sort of firewall if you are on a broadband connection. And most likely you can't tell that you have a virus because you don't have any antivirus software to inform you of the fact.

I install antivirus crap every once in awhile. I never have viruses. And yes im on broadband. I also have adaware.. but all it ever finds is cookies.

bionic77

dem said:
I install antivirus crap every once in awhile. I never have viruses. And yes im on broadband. I also have adaware.. but all it ever finds is cookies.

That is pretty amazing that you have no firewall and are on broadband and have no viruses. You must be one lucky SOB.

dem said:

Last time I used ad aware, nothing, before that, nothing. Its been that way since I started to use phoenix and moved away from IE permanatly. doubleclick.net will get no fucking information about me.

Tool

Banned
I've started using Firefox the last couple of days after hearing some good reviews about it. So far i've very impressed by the speed. Don't know if it's my imagination but pages seem to load alot quicker on Firefox than IE.

So far in my limited tests, I haven't had any problems in visiting the pages I normally go to.

Ryu

My evidence to the contrary is that everyone I know who owns or has owned a PC has had some form of hijacking occur through IE at some point...

Don't forget to add that a lot of people who have been hi-jacked don't even know it! Those are always the best!

Firefox is a great browser. I once used Firebird about eight months ago or so and hated every second of it, but then again I never bothered to install any type of extensions or anything on it. This time though, I went ahead with the full on trial (now that it's an install rather then just a plain executable file) and loaded up a bunch of extensions to really test its limits and I'm loving it so far. It really is a faster browser then IE and tab browsing and gestures truly is the way of the future for browsing. It's really impressive.

My only gripes with it at this point is that it is really wonky with my mouse wheel (when you press the mousewheel and the up down arrow shows up for much faster scrolling -- it's really slow even with the new extension I have that should fix the problem). Then of course I had to reinstall Java to get that running right (just try doing any ordering or printing on USPS.com without it and the browser would lock up and die). Finally there's the sites that just don't work at all with it -- namely ramenbowl.com for me and a few others.

Then again, if I ever need to visit a weird site for any reason that doesn't work in Firefox, IE will always be there for me when I need it.

human5892 said:
That's a little better. ;)

Seriously, I know it is an issue with IE, as I admitted. But to say that ALL spyware/security issues are due to IE -- and then to accuse me of lying about my homepage never getting switched to boot -- is just ridiculous.

If I had said that, it would be ridiculous. But what I said was that all "browser highjacks" were issues with IE....not all "spyware/security" PC issues in general. And, as I said, if your start page never got switched on you at some in all the years of using IE, then I say congratulations and that its damn amazing.......and you should run out and buy a shit load more lottery tickets.

ballhog

I have had trouble with firefox as well, including the back button not working and various crashes. I'll try it again when it's fixed, but right now it's just not worth the hassle. I never use IE though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom