• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More games should have as much KONTENT as MK Deception

DMczaf

I played a couple of hours of Konquest mode, which has some awesome missions, like searching for a woman's dog then finding out someone was cooking him and when you return the dog meat to the owner she says she will make a "Nikko Stew" tonight... :lol

Anyway, it's really cool seeing all these DVD extra-like features in a videogame. From the promotional art, sketches, music, ideas, etc. I know some games have started to do this, but I wish more developers would. Does MK Deception reuse any of the "Kontent" from MK Deadly Alliance?

Oh, and I'm pissed that Midway didnt use some of the ideas like 4 player mode, or the torture chamber. Oh well, MK7 I guess :\

DMczaf said:
Anyway, it's really cool seeing all these DVD extra-like features in a videogame. From the promotional art, sketches, music, ideas, etc. I know some games have started to do this, but I wish more developers would. Does MK Deception reuse any of the "Kontent" from MK Deadly Alliance?

not any that I could tell

alot of da stuff was from mk1234

most of dec stuff seems to be sketches witha few things from the past thrown in (plus the krypt it self is smaller)

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
DMczaf said:
I played a couple of hours of Konquest mode, which has some awesome missions, like searching for a woman's dog then finding out someone was cooking him and when you return the dog meat to the owner she says she will make a "Nikko Stew" tonight... :lol

On the Kollector's Edition 2nd Disk....YES

Konquest was in MD: DA without all the side missions. You had to read the story and do the training stuff.

god damn all faceless does is talk shit on mortal kombat. did ed boon use the peanut butter trick on your dog or something?

no offense dude but if you hate mk so bad and all you do is diss on it, why bother coming into positive threads for the game? your wasted time i guess, meh

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Thanks for the footage.

I was set to pick this up based off the impressions, but damn that game has some bad art.

Really.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd rather developers focus on polishing the gameplay and making something worth playing then throwing in a bunch of stupid side games/doo dads to collect.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
god damn all faceless does is talk shit on mortal kombat. did ed boon use the peanut butter trick on your dog or something?

no offense dude but if you hate mk so bad and all you do is diss on it, why bother coming into positive threads for the game? your wasted time i guess, meh
i love Mortal Kombat
and Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat 3
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
and even Mortal Kombat Trilogy
the rest of the series is embarassing...

shuri said:
gameshark stuff. Whats your point? All the models and sound effects from mkda fighters are still on the disk
yes, that was my point...
they could have had more playable characters instead of working on crap like shenmue-wannabee mode...
if Shenmue gets a 6.8, what does Konquest mode get?

or does Konquest get a higher rating because of the perceived public opinion...
oops, wrong thread, my bad!

Ramirez

The game needs more combos or something,I find myself performing like the same 2-3 moves even though Im trying different button combinations and such =\

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DMczaf said:
More games should have as much KONTENT as MK Deception

IAWTP. As an aside it was discovered that the NetherRealm tounge is actually english spoken backwards. Someone on another board recorded the tracks then played them in reverse to translate the speech.

The translations:

"It is said that John Vogal is a genious"
"There are many realms"
"No warrior ever TRULY dies in Mortal Kombat"
"Onaga was poisoned and slain by his advisor, Shao Kahn"
"The spirit of Liu Kang will live on!"
"Good, is any act that promotes the seperation of the realms. Evil, is any act of consolidation"
"Rain is purple, get it?"
"The Dragon King revived the slain heroes who confronted the Deadly Alliance"
"I am talking backwards, spooky, isn't it?"
"Onaga took possession of Reptile's body in outworld, before stealing the Kamidogu and clinging Quan-Chi's amulet for himself."
"Scorpion is the true champion of the elder gods!"
"The dragon king will rule supreme"
"You are being decieved!"
"In the beginning days, sorcerers were commended by the elder gods to construct the many portals that connect the realms"
"It may be that Frost is nearly hibernating"
"Parents of the world, there is no satanic content hidden in the backwards speech in Mortal Kombat"
"The void is a place beyond the realms where the elder gods dwell."
"The Mortal Kombat tournament was created to allow Shao Kahn to earn the right to merge other realms with Outworld."

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Why do games need as many anushats as MK: Deception? Anushats do me no good. Quality gameplay does.

Best stuff left on the cutting room floor? You mean Jax and Johnny Cage? Two characters nobody cares about? Good riddance! I'll take the roster they actually provided over the leftovers from DA any day of the week.

evil ways

Kobra, Havik, Darrius and Shujinko all own the crappiness that was the Deadly Alliance roster. I'll take them any day over shit like Hsu Hao, Jax, Sonya and Drahim.

IMO, Kobra, Darrius, and Havik all play second bananna to awesome characters like Noob-Smoke, Shujinko, Kira, Jade, Kabal, Baraka, and Mileena. This new roster just owns the DA roster altogether.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Haha... I just did the Shao Kahn/Reiko quest in Konquest mode.

In it:

Shao Kahn asks you (Shujinko) to tell Reiko that he knows about him sneaking into his room late at night and trying on his helmet and that he had better stop. Reiko admits to doing it but adds that the helmet will be his soon.

How much do you wanna bet that Vogel added this quest because they are going to turn around and say that Shang Tsung and Quan Chi killed Reiko by mistake in MKDA? Also, if you recall Reiko's ending in MK4 for the PSX had him putting on Kahn's helmet as well. So there won't be any of that resurrection crap or anything...Shao Kahn was never killed.

Ha! That's pretty funny about that quest. Don't know who Reiko is though cuz I mostly skipped MK4. Is it that dude with the makeup that kinda makes him look like Robin?

Anyanka

The Reiko/Kahn thing...

Since MK4 certain fans have insisted that Reiko IS Shao Kahn. They're like obsessed about it, especially when the Gameboy Color version came out and hinted at it even more. Even when Ed Boon and others in the development team said he wasn't, they still wouldn't give it up. Vogel put that quest in as a nod to the hardcore fans and to finally put it to rest.

He also finally reveals who won MK2-4(liu Kang), which we had not known for sure.

Reiko looks like a guy in a ninja outfit, without a mask. He has brown hair with white streaks and yes, the black makeup on his eyes. He can teleport and throw ninja stars. He was created at the last minute in MK4 to be a replacement for Noob(who was originally normally playable in that).

Reiko being Kahn's general in MKD is a mistake. In MK4 he is a general in Shinnok's army. I guess they made him Kahn's to make the Reiko/Kahn thing easier.

Matlock

Banned
Wait a tic, so the MK winner timeline is:

1. Johnny Cage
2. Liu Kang
3. Liu Kang
4. Liu Kang
5. Quan Chi (technically, he was the last one standing)

Anyanka

MKDA never said Cage won MK1.

Straight from MK II's intro....

"and Shang Tsung's scheme would come to a violent end at the hands of Liu Kang".

complete with an image of Liu doing the flying kick to old man Shang.

Matlock

Banned
MKDA had a piece in it about his film, "Mortal Kombat," which was filmed after he won the tournament.

Edit: Seems it was only about his experience, I coulda sworn it said "won," heh.

Anyanka

Yeah, Cage makes movies about all his MK adventures. He probably wins in the films too.

I like how Vogel made fun of Tobias with the whole "Mortal Kombat: The Death of Johnny Cage" movie.

Making Cage a goofy comic relief character is the best thing they stole from the movie.

Vormund

I thought nobody actually defeated Shao Kahn in MK2? Hence him still being around in MK3 and subsequently invading Earth.

Anyanka

The end of MK II has always been very vague. In MK3 there is no explination for why Kahn is alive and well. Kung Lao and Liu Kang apparently thought they had won though, because they were rebuilding their temple and were surprised when Kahn invaded. However Jax and Sonya had known it was coming and were trying to warn the government.

Kahn's invasion in MK3 has nothing to do with winning or losing MK II. He was allowed to enter because of Sindel's rebirth, something that would have happened either way.

My guess is that Liu Kang beat Kahn in MK II and Kahn either faked his death, escaped or chased out the good guys with his army. This is backed up by Liu's MK3 bio, which says he has ruined Kahn's plans in the past(notice it's plural...) and now MKD saying Liu won 4 MKs.

MK II itself, despite being the fan favorite and iconic game in the series, is fairly irrelevant in the story.

thom

I picked up MK: Deception a couple days ago...gave it a couple hours of play tonight. I'm

having a really hard time getting into this game...it's just so...odd it feels nothing like the

old MK games. I completely missed MK: DA just didn't bother ever picking it up so maybe

that's why I'm so "green" with this newest sequel but jesus I'm not having any fun at all

with this game. The game seems to rely on clunky "dial a combo" crap that for the most

part is what turned me off from the series to begin with.

I'm hoping my opinion will change...I really want to like this title

Raw64life

There's about 8,000 loopholes in the MK storyline.

I'm pretty sure that the story for MK1 was Lui Kang but Johnny Cage took the credit in Hollywood for it or something like that. Some guy made a gigantic MK Canon guide that I'm too lazy to find. Go read that.

Anyanka

The problem with understanding the MK story is that there is so much outside krap that is non-canon. The movies, the TV shows and other side projects are all non-canon and often contradict each other. The only thing you can really go by is whatever is in game, mentioned by the MK Team themselves or the comics by John Tobias(and even those are rather dubious).

Also, the community has a tendancy to speculate and then take those speculations and pass them around so much until they snowball into fact. "Sheeva is Goro's wife", "Frost is Sub-Zero's sister", "Kintaro is Goro's brother"....those are all widely believed things...yet none of them have any basis in reality.

It's also hard to tell which endings are true and which are not. The only thing you can do is follow the next game and see which are mentioned and which were dropped. A lot of people have trouble understanding that endings are not automatically canon.

Gavok's plot guide is excellent. Easily the best source on the net for info on the MK story. Anyone interested in the MK story should check it out. Plus, I am credited in it. The only problem is that he hasn't yet updated it with the full details of MKDA's climax and everything that happens in MKD. He's working on a big update now.

http://tabmok99.mk5.org/mortal_kombat_plot.txt

Quan Chi didn't won the MK5(DA)'s tournement, it was li mei. But Quan Chi and Shang Tsung tricked her and inserted her soul into one of Dragon king's soldier body.

Read her Deception bio.

Anyanka

The tournament mentioned in Li Mei's story is not the actual big battle with the others. It's a side story. The tournament is amonst the people of Li Mei's village. She was invited when she beat up Kano. The contest and it's aftermath all happened before the end of MKDA.

The winner of MKDA just depends on how you look at it. Quan Chi was the last man standing before the DK came in, but Raiden ended up killing Chi and Tsung afterwards. I guess it depends on when you see MKDA ending and MKD beginning.

Top Bottom