• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mormon/Ex-Mormon Thread of 3 hour blocks and salvation flowcharts

ronito

I will tell you, I played on a softball league with a few buddies of mine and heard them yell out GD after a strikeout or fly out or something...

I haven't been as disappointed with anything or anyone ever in my entire life...outside of possibly Indy 4 or the Prequels...

My wife's friend takes her scriptures and blacks out all the occurences of "damn" and "hell" and any other of those kinds of words. Either that or was it she'd refuse to read those words aloud or something like that.

CorvoSol

I will tell you, I played on a softball league with a few buddies of mine and heard them yell out GD after a strikeout or fly out or something...

I haven't been as disappointed with anything or anyone ever in my entire life...outside of possibly Indy 4 or the Prequels...

Swearing is something I'm working hard to lessen. I need to start a swear jar or two, because I RAGE when I game.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Swearing was a major weakness of mine, but I find it to be a peasant's way of speaking. I hold myself to a higher standards, and frankly, my friends and coworkers do, as well. I try to temper my tongue in any sort of causal swearing (dropping something on my foot, etc.) and try not to do it in a casual way, either.

Just tacky, in my opinion. My entire two-hour movie that I wrote has a couple instances of hell, but nothing worse than that.

Hopefully you guys will see it on the big screen some day, but I promise not to let the studios name any of my characters Cypher Raige or anything like that...

CorvoSol

in our dorm my freshman year, madden and call of duty were the 2 most prominent causes of swearing. you're not alone.

Still, I need to cool my jets. Cursing up a storm over a video game is no way for a man of my age to behave.

Swearing was a major weakness of mine, but I find it to be a peasant's way of speaking. I hold myself to a higher standards, and frankly, my friends and coworkers do, as well. I try to temper my tongue in any sort of causal swearing (dropping something on my foot, etc.) and try not to do it in a casual way, either.

Just tacky, in my opinion. My entire two-hour movie that I wrote has a couple instances of hell, but nothing worse than that.

Hopefully you guys will see it on the big screen some day, but I promise not to let the studios name any of my characters Cypher Raige or anything like that...

I agree with this. It's really in poor taste, and it's something I got into when I was a teen and should have weeded out. Bad habits are not something I should seek to excuse.

ronito

Sorry man, I have a five "hell" minimum. Any less and no sale.

Honest though I view words like paint, I'm not gonna only paint with less colors. That being said, I have never once said "Jesus" in a profane way. It just does nothing for me. And part of me still has respect for that. One friend pointed out I have no problem saying "My God." and stuff like that. I told him I figured with all the Gods in history I'm only offending the non-true ones.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Honest though I view words like paint, I'm not gonna only paint with less colors. That being said, I have never once said "Jesus" in a profane way. It just does nothing for me. And part of me still has respect for that. One friend pointed out I have no problem saying "My God." and stuff like that. I told him I figured with all the Gods in history I'm only offending the non-true ones.

Funny you should say that, since I still believe that any studio that could possibly buy and produce my movie, should they stay true to the script, would probably be looking at a PG-13 rating due to criminal mischief and rampant weirdness. Who knows, though.

CorvoSol

I don't know who I feel about saying "My God" because I tend to say "Meu Deus" more as an actual thing than taking it in vain. As in "My God, what have I done?" and "My God, how will these people ever survive on their own?"

I do say a lot of "Nossa Senhora!" and "Ave Maria!" though. Perks of serving in a Latin American Mission.

And every once in awhile I attempt to come up with a good Mormon exclamation. Like, "By Brigham's beard!" Which is the catchiest one I've come up with. Alliteration and all.

ronito

I don't know who I feel about saying "My God" because I tend to say "Meu Deus" more as an actual thing than taking it in vain. As in "My God, what have I done?" and "My God, how will these people ever survive on their own?"

I do say a lot of "Nossa Senhora!" and "Ave Maria!" though. Perks of serving in a Latin American Mission.

And every once in awhile I attempt to come up with a good Mormon exclamation. Like, "By Brigham's beard!" Which is the catchiest one I've come up with. Alliteration and all.

Before I gave into my more base nature I used to use apostle's and prophets names that had an initial.

Like if I stubbed my toe I'd shout "Gordon B. Hinckley!!" a favorite was "Joseph F. Smith!!"

CorvoSol

Before I gave into my more base nature I used to use apostle's and prophets names that had an initial.

Like if I stubbed my toe I'd shout "Gordon B. Hinckley!!" a favorite was "Joseph F. Smith!!"

Oooh, that one does sound particularly entertaining.

Honestly, my attempts to not swear have produced memorable moments with my friends. For instance, we were once at the beach, collecting sea-glass and I had crouched pretty far and the tide was pretty high and all of the sudden sea water down my shorts caused me to exclaim "Oh-ceaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"

Orayn

If we're having a (serial) hug-in here, I feel the need to step in any make a blanket apology for any insensitive, overly general remarks I've made directed at the LDS and its adherents. I was younger and stupider then, and let my intolerable teenaged atheist side get the better of me. I'm obviously non good terms with the Church or any religion for that matter, but after watching a bunch of rather informative PBS documentaries on the church and generally tuning into Mormon culture more than I had before... I'm a little jealous. Despite there being parts of it I'm not exactly thrilled by, the LDS as a whole is really neat, and the stances I've taken in the past have been utterly ridiculous and not properly nuanced at all.

There are many GAFers I admire in this thread, and it feels good to apologize for having acted like a buffoon from time to time.

CorvoSol

If we're having a (serial) hug-in here, I feel the need to step in any make a blanket apology for any insensitive, overly general remarks I've made directed at the LDS and its adherents. I was younger and stupider then, and let my intolerable teenaged atheist side get the better of me. I'm obviously non good terms with the Church or any religion for that matter, but after watching a bunch of rather informative PBS documentaries on the church and generally tuning into Mormon culture more than I had before... I'm a little jealous. Despite there being parts of it I'm not exactly thrilled by, the LDS as a whole is really neat, and the stances I've taken in the past have been utterly ridiculous and not properly nuanced at all.

There are many GAFers I admire in this thread, and it feels good to apologize for having acted like a buffoon from time to time.

You know, though, Orayn, I'm actually very appreciative of you on GAF, and view you as one of the more level-headed people in the (anti? non?) -religious GAF camp. I know I've told you but, while I don't see eye to eye with you on things, I'm very appreciative of the fact that you go about things in a more civil way than many people on GAF do.

And that PBS documentary is really well done.

Orayn

You know, though, Orayn, I'm actually very appreciative of you on GAF, and view you as one of the more level-headed people in the (anti? non?) -religious GAF camp. I know I've told you but, while I don't see eye to eye with you on things, I'm very appreciative of the fact that you go about things in a more civil way than many people on GAF do.

Glad we're on good terms. Civil is generally what I aim for.

Also, "non-religious" is fine, I don't consider myself strictly anti-religion. I also respond to skeptic, agnostic, atheist, heathen, infidel, brat, jerk, and "HEY YOU!"

And that PBS documentary is really well done.

I know right? It's amazing simply from a history and culture perspective, regardless of how one feels about anything else. I think I've watched it three times now, just because it was so well made.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, not everyone thinks the glass is half full when it comes to the organization. Though that does need to be separated from the average church goer who has little to do with that stuff.

CorvoSol

Glad we're on good terms. Civil is generally what I aim for.

Also, "non-religious" is fine, I don't consider myself strictly anti-religion. I also respond to skeptic, agnostic, atheist, heathen, infidel, brat, jerk, and "HEY YOU!"

I know right? It's amazing simply from a history and culture perspective, regardless of how one feels about anything else. I think I've watched it three times now, just because it was so well made.

Also your avatar. I care a lot about avatars, note below:

Well, not everyone thinks the glass is half full when it comes to the organization. Though that does need to be separated from the average church goer who has little to do with that stuff.

Hito you changed your avatar and no longer look like a bird! I like this new one more. Please never be anything other than purple, though, as I'm slowly kind of phasing all of you into color categories so my brain has to think less. You're purple, Yoritomo is blue, Ronito is orangeish, and Jeff-DSA is white.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hito you changed your avatar and no longer look like a bird! I like this new one more. Please never be anything other than purple, though, as I'm slowly kind of phasing all of you into color categories so my brain has to think less. You're purple, Yoritomo is blue, Ronito is orangeish, and Jeff-DSA is white.
I didn't even realize I was continuing my purple streak until after I cropped it.

Yoritomo

My wife seems to be the sort that is the ultimate bright eyed molly mormon, super relief society sister. What the ward doesn't know is that she is the most foul mouthed person I have ever seen or heard of. She gives Debra from Dexter a run for her money for inventiveness in swearing and cursing. I love her dearly.

Jeff-DSA

Also your avatar. I care a lot about avatars, note below:

Just because I'm an active Mormon? That's religiousist.

CorvoSol

I didn't even realize I was continuing my purple streak until after I cropped it.

Purple is your color now. No leaving it.

Just because I'm an active Mormon? That's religiousist.

You were better as a Triforce, that's all I'm sayin'.

Yeah, I have to admit when I first saw that I was like "He's Mormon Corvo...." but decided to keep my mouth shut. Glad Jeff made the joke though.

Saying things with unfortunate implications and not realizing it until after the fact is the story of my life.

ronito

So here's something I've been meaning to ask, especially for you guys that have gone on a mission.

In Venezuela the church is this strange amalgam of not just church stuff but also voodoo/dark magic stuff. It tends to be really friendly and hopeful but the stuff about Satan and demonic stuff is very real there and very very dark.

Everyone knows about the "mormon corridor" and how that's different from, well, sane people. What other variations have you noted in the church?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Much to your chagrin, I have noticed the church is largely the same everywhere I have been, including the most remote Peruvian town I was in.

People are largely the same, the church was largely the same with the exception of the wards where most of the active membership was made up of people who had been members less than 10 years. Even then, they did their best to adhere to proper doctrine. I remember being Branch President once and asking a sister to say the opening prayer and I got a somewhat altered form of a Padre Nuestro. LOL.

The one real exception was the two Utah wards my wife and I were in. People were so indifferent and cold to us being there. It was really strange, since I had known lots of friendly and neighborly members (and people in general) in Nebraska, and expected the same. The unfortunate reality of Utah is that it contains only three different types of people:

1. Really active Mormons. white, blonde, and stereotypical

2. Sunday Mormons - Even then, they seem to enjoy boating on Sundays (would never consider such a thing!) I call these people "California Mormons" They grow their hair out, ride longboard and other skateboards all over the place, wear skinny jeans and whatever the slightly-less-than-contemporary fashion trend of the day is, etc. These people say "dude" alot and talk like they are from the West Coast.

3. Anti-mormons. Not non-Mormons, but anti. Never seen so many people who have an utter disgust for something than that of non-mormons in Utah. Never in my life had I seen, nor to this day have I experienced so many people with awful full-sleeve and visible neck tattoos, gauges, multiple piercings, etc. I could imagine most grew up Mormon but wanted to broadcast to the world, "I am obviously not Mormon, quit trying to put me in a box!" or didn't grow up Mormon, but were forced to live there in some form or fashion. I understand how that living non-mormon in Utah is difficult for people who want to party, drink, smoke, etc, but I have never met a more pathetic group of people.

That said, I like #3 more than #2.

We lived in a duplex for a year and a half and only once did our neighbor we shared a wall with ever say hello, despite passing by eachother some 50 or so times in that period. Never had home teachers or visiting teachers despite being active. People in the ward did not welcome us (besides the old guy in the ward...you know the guy.) etc. It was strange because in Nebraska, everyone is friendly. You can become someone's best friend by just being behind them in the supermarket. Thought Mormon Utah would be the same, but NOPE.

ronito

I'll talk more about Utah mormons later, but I'm actually very much chagrined.

I actually really loved that about the church in Venezuela (more notably Caracas and closer to the coast). That strange line between voodoo and the church's teaching and the added emphasis on the dark stuff was actually really sorta exciting. The fight of good vs. evil wasn't some symbolic or idyllic thing. Very strange but very cool too.

Why is it that by the time I've noticed this thread has been bumped I have way too much catching up to do?

That said, it's finals week so I have an excuse.

@Ronito - I've certainly heard my fair share of straight up ghost story stuff from friends who served in South America. Never experienced anything like that myself, but I served in Spain.

ronito

PANTS!
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/55445256-180/church-wear-lds-pants.html.csp

A group of Mormon feminists has declared Sunday, Dec. 16, as "Wear Pants to Church Day" and is calling on sister Saints across the globe to join the effort.

Female Mormon missionaries are not allowed to wear pants, except on their days off. Some LDS women do wear dressy pants to church, but social convention dictates that most Mormon women don dresses or skirts to their weekly services.

"Attending church is about worship and learning to be followers of Jesus Christ," LDS spokesman Scott Trotter said Tuesday in a statement. "Generally church members are encouraged to wear their best clothing as a sign of respect for the Savior, but we don’t counsel people beyond that."

The Wear Pants Day is the first act of All Enlist, a group dedicated to gender equality in the LDS Church, according to its Facebook page describing it.

"We do not seek to eradicate the differences between women and men, but we do want the LDS Church to acknowledge the similarities," the group’s mission statement says. "We believe that much of the cultural, structural, and even doctrinal inequality that persists in the LDS Church today stems from the church’s reliance on — and enforcement of — rigid gender roles that bear no relationship to reality."

Already more than 500 people have agreed to make the symbolic gesture.

The group is encouraging those Mormons who already wear pants to church — i.e. men — to show support "by wearing a purple shirt, tie, socks, or ribbon, purple being a color historically associated with the suffrage movement."

In response, some LDS men are now asking: Can we next do a No Neckties Day?

Gender equity, you know.

This just strikes me as a hollow gesture.

In college I had a janitorial job and it was my responsibility to clean the LDS Foundation building. It's a non-profit that's owned by the church to deal with all the large charitable contributions made to the church. Men had to wear collared shirts and women had to wear skirts. Except on Fridays. Then one Friday a GA came in and saw women in jeans. And asked them to wear dresses instead.

Now I've seen this quite a lot lately active mormon women thinking that wearing pants will help the church see that their gender roles need to change. But I'm like, "B*tch take a look around at the men. How many non-white shirts do you see? Not many huh. Even men are held down to a silly standard. What makes you so special?" Also combined with that story about the LDS foundation, they might wear pants to church but if a GA came up to them and asked them to please wear a skirt or a dress the next time they'd be in a skirt or a dress. Also, I bet many of those wearing pants to church probably would never think to do so at the temple.

Really I think there's better ways to make your point than this.

Yoritomo

The ladies in the vietnamese ward in california all wore pant suits. I understand what you're talking about with regards to cultural and regional differences between members. There was tons of voodoo stuff coming from the south american elders. IE being able to astrally project, notice curse houses, etc. It's a cultural thing more than anything.

I've got to admit that by and large I disliked the baggage that my Utah mormon companions brought. They were gobsmacked that a world existed outside of their bubble. I'd usually take them by Ex-Mormons for Jesus and have a decent "conversation" with the people in the building while they watched. Most were white as a sheet by the time we left. I was a good debater and able to set up my points a couple step ahead of the ex-mormons for Jesus, also having grown up in Oklahoma I was already very familiar with anti-mormon literature and I had read and studied a ridiculous amount of apologetic works. That and I had memorized a few hundred bible verses for the sole purpose of bashing. I have all my notes in a huge binder at home somewhere. It was really ineffective but a lot of fun.

I like arguing.

speedline

Banned
Does the church push the idea of long term food storage, water storage, and things like that? The only reason I'm asking is that on a lot of survival forums they mention LDS guidelines quite a bit in discussions about canning and storage. It would appear that the LDS guidelines are being used as the standard for the "prepper" movement's food storage and I was wondering if every Mormon does that sort of thing?

Jeff-DSA

The pants thing is going to cause such an odd stir. I highly doubt anybody in my ward will be doing it. Rarely are pants considered formal for women, so most would just feel outright uncomfortable in them, just as a guy would be wearing shorts or denim pants. I think there's better ways to make the point, honestly.

So here's something I've been meaning to ask, especially for you guys that have gone on a mission.

In Venezuela the church is this strange amalgam of not just church stuff but also voodoo/dark magic stuff. It tends to be really friendly and hopeful but the stuff about Satan and demonic stuff is very real there and very very dark.

Everyone knows about the "mormon corridor" and how that's different from, well, sane people. What other variations have you noted in the church?

The Chileans are very superstitious people, so they really believed in witchcraft and stuff like that having a real influence on peoples' day to day lives, but it was never married with church teachings or doctrine. People were pretty good about recognizing what was official church teaching and what was general population belief.

The biggest difference I found between Chileans and members of up here was how severe they saw certain types of sin to be. Like, having some alcohol was obviously frowned upon and something to strictly avoid, but it seemed as if someone did drink that it was not much more serious than, say, telling a few white lies.

And actually, I kind of liked that. I sort of think sin should be viewed as sin. Whether you're unclean by one big sin or unclean by a collection of smaller sins, the fact remains that you're unclean. Sure, some sins are harder to deal with when it comes to restitution, but if you're a slimy business guy who gets off making shady deals, I don't think you have any right to look down on a guy who is struggling to avoid temptations of physical nature. Maybe the Chileans understood that a bit better than we do here.

Yoritomo

Does the church push the idea of long term food storage, water storage, and things like that? The only reason I'm asking is that on a lot of survival forums they mention LDS guidelines quite a bit in discussions about canning and storage. It would appear that the LDS guidelines are being used as the standard for the "prepper" movement's food storage and I was wondering if every Mormon does that sort of thing?

There hasn't been really strong encouragement of it for a little while now, but 72 hour kits, ham radio operation, being out of debt, and food storage is still talked about. I don't think we've heard it in a large whole church meeting (general conference) for about 20 years though. It tends to be a push from local leaders but not spoken about from the very top except through the normal mormon chain of command.

Jeff-DSA

There hasn't been really strong encouragement of it for a little while now, but 72 hour kits, ham radio operation, being out of debt, and food storage is still talked about. I don't think we've heard it in a large whole church meeting (general conference) for about 20 years though. It tends to be a push from local leaders but not spoken about from the very top except through the normal mormon chain of command.

There's been a strong focus on it on the local level around here. It's a strong enough of a constant reminder that people are pretty serious about it.

We have a rotating food storage. Lots of canned stuff, mostly. We eat from it and continually replenish it. I don't think we have a year's worth of food, but we have enough to sustain us for quite some time in the case that there was a major disaster and help was slow in coming.

For the past few years, they've really focused on having each block in every neighborhood organized. There's a block captain and in the event of a disaster, he or she gets out and checks on the people on the street. Each family has a red flag and a green flag. The green means that your family is fine. The red flag means that someone in the home needs help. The block captain's first duty is to check on anybody with a red flag or no flag and report back needs immediately.

In addition to that, we have a meeting once a year with the block captain and everybody on the street and review a disaster plan. We take note of who has generators, what tools we have between us, and what sorts of resources could be leveraged in case of an emergency. It's pretty impressive. I know if a big earthquake or something hit that my family could hold out for weeks or months without any government assistance.

ronito

Ezra Taft Benson (former President/Prophet of the church) was also a John Birch society member and secretary of agriculture. When he was prophet he really pushed for all members to have a 1 year supply of food at the ready. I personally think with the Birch society's paranoia of a communist attack and his time as secretary of agriculture made him see the value. Regardless, I actually think the underlying idea is pretty sound though, as with many pretty sound ideas in the church some people take it way too far.

When he was prophet they pushed the 1 year supply thing really hard. There would not be a conference that went by without a talk about preparing your "year's supply". I remember there was once a mini panic because at one conference someone said "we've warned you about getting your year's supply. We aren't going to warn you again." or something like that and a bunch of people freaked. After Benson died the talking of a year's supply lessened but it didn't go away. Instead of getting reminded about it every six months it went to every year. Around Y2K the frenzy grew again and again subsided.

I think that it stems from the church teaching about the end of the world, I mean "Latter Day" is right in the church name. And again while it's a good idea people tend to take it WAY too far.

I remember once I told a guy he was mormon and he was like "But you don't own any guns." Yeah.

Jeff-DSA

Oh, and to clarify, the block captain thing isn't just for church members. In fact, our block captain is not a member of the church, but the bishop felt he was the best and most reliable guy for that job, and he definitely is.

speedline

Banned
I think it's a good idea and am looking to make a food rotation with about 6 months of supply. It's not that I'm paranoid about a crisis event happening, it's just that I don't want to have to depend on the government to help me in case one does happen. I think everyone should look into it.

Yoritomo

There's been a strong focus on it on the local level around here. It's a strong enough of a constant reminder that people are pretty serious about it.

We have a rotating food storage. Lots of canned stuff, mostly. We eat from it and continually replenish it. I don't think we have a year's worth of food, but we have enough to sustain us for quite some time in the case that there was a major disaster and help was slow in coming.

For the past few years, they've really focused on having each block in every neighborhood organized. There's a block captain and in the event of a disaster, he or she gets out and checks on the people on the street. Each family has a red flag and a green flag. The green means that your family is fine. The red flag means that someone in the home needs help. The block captain's first duty is to check on anybody with a red flag or no flag and report back needs immediately.

In addition to that, we have a meeting once a year with the block captain and everybody on the street and review a disaster plan. We take note of who has generators, what tools we have between us, and what sorts of resources could be leveraged in case of an emergency. It's pretty impressive. I know if a big earthquake or something hit that my family could hold out for weeks or months without any government assistance.

Yeah. They still push it from the local level, and I imagine that comes directly from Salt Lake.

Thaedolus

I do have to say that I feel the church's idea of preparedness is pretty sound, in my opinion. I just moved into my first home, but I'll begin stocking up on supplies as soon as it becomes feasible. I'd like to have a year's worth eventually. I have all my paperwork for a concealed carry permit. I'm also going to invest in a wood burning stove insert for my basement fireplace. Utah's not much for natural disasters, but I'd still like to be ready to sustain my fiance and myself (and our dog) if shit ever did hit the fan. I like to think of myself as a pacifist liberal lover, but a little bit of self-reliance can go a long way when starving people are ready to kill you for your food :)

ronito

To make the stupid even stupider it Feminist Mormon Housewives is saying that the facebook group for women to wear pants to church this Sunday was taken down due to excessive complaints about it.

CorvoSol

In Brazil we had a lot of stories about demons and exorcism and stuff. I never personally met anyone who was possessed, but I had an area with an evil woodland. Like, I know what you're thinking "haha no it wasn't" because I thought that when they told me the stories, too, but I was going by there one night with a trainee and he grabbed my arm and was all "Elder we have to get away from this place NOW." Spooked me white.

As to pants, I know my sister goes to Church in pants some time, but I never really stopped to think on it. I always used to tell people on my mission that Christ cares first and foremost that you came, and after that you can sort out what you came in, because people were always so shy about what to wear because churches in my area in Brazil through you out if you didn't dress right.

And I've always felt that the dress standards are a voluntary thing, especially for kids in Brazil who are poor and live in a hot area where shouldered shirts are unusual, let alone collared ones.

The Church in Brazil is also a lot more open/vocal about sex. Everyone there talks about sex, and nobody bats an eye. As an American Missionary I think I spent half my time red because of the sun, and the other half because I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Also I'm calling this MXM GAF now. Because I'm too lazy to type out Mo/ExMo and think MXM sounds cooler.

DOUBLE ALSO: I'm done with school for three weeks! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Yoritomo

Women should wear what they want and not make a big deal about it. Yes it's more difficult that way but seriously, go visit the vietnamese speaking wards, I don't think you'll find a single dress amongst anyone over the age of 30.

If local leadership wants to call you out on it, just ask for more suggestions. How long should I wear my hair? How much cleavage is too much? Are bright colors okay? As long as you look respectable no one should care, and if they do tell em to shut up and worry about other crap instead of worrying about what you're wearing.

Individuals with balls will get more done that a single day of solidarity.

im really hoping to go through the land of milk and honey this break. Zion, Bryce, and an extended stay in SLC (like a bit more than a week). I'm really interested in the Mormons and am reading the book "The gathering of Zion"

i'm not religious at all but i've read all the books of the people of the book save Zoroastrians and Mormons. Now it's time to get to it!

btw someone give me lodging lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Women should wear what they want and not make a big deal about it. Yes it's more difficult that way but seriously, go visit the vietnamese speaking wards, I don't think you'll find a single dress amongst anyone over the age of 30.

If local leadership wants to call you out on it, just ask for more suggestions. How long should I wear my hair? How much cleavage is too much? Are bright colors okay? As long as you look respectable no one should care, and if they do tell em to shut up and worry about other crap instead of worrying about what you're wearing.

Individuals with balls will get more done that a single day of solidarity.

Yeah, this is a total non-issue from people within the bubble. We have a wide-array of people in my ward that dress in evrything from Jeans to full on dresses.

Who cares as long as you come to church with the right attitude?

Cracks me up because I baptized a guy in Peru that showed up to his baptism wearing a Marilyn Manson sweatshirt and I was like...yeahhhhh...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
im really hoping to go through the land of milk and honey this break. Zion, Bryce, and an extended stay in SLC (like a bit more than a week). I'm really interested in the Mormons and am reading the book "The gathering of Zion"

i'm not religious at all but i've read all the books of the people of the book save Zoroastrians and Mormons. Now it's time to get to it!

btw someone give me lodging lol

You seem like an interesting person. Enjoy the best parts of Utah. You are kind of going at the wrong time of year, but its all good.

I think you will enjoy Zoroastrianism. It obviously shows where a lot of religions get their creation myths and core beliefs.

Thansk! well the summer is the 'right' time to go and that means lots of tourists. I don't want to be a tourist, but just as another man.

Zion won't lose its luster in Winter. SLC cafes and bars will probably be full of locals willing to share stories.

Core beliefs and creation myths are indeed interesting and there is overlap between many. Read 'The hero with a thousand faces' for more! ^_^

Hi, sorry if I'm not really contributing to any thread discussions or anything, but I'm a longtime GAF-lurker and BYU-Idaho student just checking in!

Yoritomo

Yeah, this is a total non-issue from people within the bubble. We have a wide-array of people in my ward that dress in evrything from Jeans to full on dresses.

Who cares as long as you come to church with the right attitude?

Cracks me up because I baptized a guy in Peru that showed up to his baptism wearing a Marilyn Manson sweatshirt and I was like...yeahhhhh...

That's the thing isn't it. It's one of the reasons I don't mind continuing to attend church, speaking, and pushing back when I see things being said that are out of line. Just this last sunday it became old person conspiracy weekend and secret combinations were being equated with the Obama presidency and the end times. When we read a famous quote from Ezra Taft Benson regarding the rise of communism,. I just let them know that Elder Benson (he was an apostle at the time) was rebuked specifically by Hugh B Brown regarding his talks on communism and the struggle throughout the 1960 regarding Benson's ties to the John Birch Society. That being seekers of signs wasn't going to benefit anyone.

ronito

Hi, sorry if I'm not really contributing to any thread discussions or anything, but I'm a longtime GAF-lurker and BYU-Idaho student just checking in!
You should hang out with the crow.
Kiss him full on the lips for me.
(he's sexually frustrated).

That's the thing isn't it. It's one of the reasons I don't mind continuing to attend church, speaking, and pushing back when I see things being said that are out of line. Just this last sunday it became old person conspiracy weekend and secret combinations were being equated with the Obama presidency and the end times. When we read a famous quote from Ezra Taft Benson regarding the rise of communism,. I just let them know that Elder Benson (he was an apostle at the time) was rebuked specifically by Hugh B Brown regarding his talks on communism and the struggle throughout the 1960 regarding Benson's ties to the John Birch Society. That being seekers of signs wasn't going to benefit anyone.

Oh Yorimoto I love you dude, no small part due to how you are just like I was a few years ago. Hito watched me go through that part of my journey, he can attest to it.

Like I said before I gave a talk essentially dressing down the church practice of giving talks on talks and then took it forward to talk about how an apostle was wrong. And people went wild for it. I can't think of another church that would allow such a thing.

That being said, while there are stories like that there are also stories about the intolerance (I mean shutting down a facebook page that called on women to wear pants? First off, it's sad that such a page even existed, but it's even sadder that some people were so pissed they lodged complaints about it.). I remember being called unto repentance for telling my favorite joke (A mormon walks into a marriott hotel and tells the clerk, "Your porn better be disabled!" and the clerk replied, "It's just regular pron you perv!"). Try having long hair when you're 15 or getting an ear pierced. The people in the church can either be very tolerant or not at all.

Top Bottom