• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most anitclimaMost anti-climatic final boss ever?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ripclawe said:
GREATEST ENDING EVER!!! Raiders of the Lost Ark in the bazaar great.

The ending was ok, but I hated the last section. It was just so boring fighting wave after wave of enemies. And those very last moments...
the guy didn't even put up a fight. I was very disappointed.

I think Chrono Cross earns some points, though. Who cares about fighting the last boss when they give you the ending beforehand?

I second this, Chrono Cross had one of the lamest end bosses I can remember! After the epic showdown with Lavos in Chrono Trigger the patheticly easy fight in CC only reinforces how inferior that game was compared to the SNES classic.

Redbeard

Banned
Bionic Commando (NES) was pretty lame. All you did was drop off a ledge and fire a rocket through some cockpit on your way down. Miss the shot, you die and repeat until you get it right.

nitewulf

speaking of sands of time, what an awesome, awesome game. yeah late to the party and all that. im reeeeally enjoying it so far. the context sensitive contols are a bit confusing to get used to, but once you are used to it the amount of acrobatics that can be done is amazing. only the camera is a bit wonky at times, hard to figure out where to make the next jump at times. but gameplay is fantastic...they should make lots more of these kind of games. it also captured that arabian nights ambiance very well, nice voice acting, graphics and artstyle.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ok, this is almost cheating, but... Star Fox Adventures is sort of pathetic. You prepare to defeat the boss... then he suddenly dies and you battle Andross.

That was an annoying end to a dull game.

Eric-GCA

Banned
lol, forgot about the Grandia II last boss, pretty underwhelming.

For another game, I'd pick Final Fantasy 2 (US), another "where the hell did this guy come from?" thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
worldrunover said:
I fail to see how Sands of Time was anti-climatic.

What? The setup was good, but the actual fight was just terrible. TERRIBLE.

It COULD have been so much more. When I actually won, I could not believe that it was actually over.

Brannon

The last boss of Steel Empire. Subpar Genesis shmup with the lamest, most drawn out final battle I have EVER played at that time. Damn it all.

suikodan

I remember how dull the last boss in Secret of Evermore was. I totally hated that game. No ambiance whatsoever.

demi

suikodan said:
I remember how dull the last boss in Secret of Evermore was. I totally hated that game. No ambiance whatsoever.

what no. toaster dog! hello.

um..most anti climatic..um. . . .

sphinx and the cursed mummy.

LOL NONE OF YOU HAVE PLAYED IT

Dragmire

Mr_Furious said:
An old wizard with shitty powers does not make for a good final boss fight. It was over all too quickly.
Oh, but his attacks were so much fancier than any enemy before him... all the swoops and twirls!
Surely that was the developers' thinking.

suikodan said:

Oh, yeah, good choice. Especially because when I was playing it, a bug in the game made me permanently invisible. Yeah, not much excitement there... ;)

Vomiaouaf

Most of the games coming through my mind at first have already been mentioned...

Starfox Adventures :

Considering the development path of the game (originally concieved as an original universe based on a dinosaur planet), the uprising of Andross at the very end came as a shitty reversal to include Starfox's entities... Pretty disappointing, even if the fight itself stays faithful to the entire game : boringly beautiful...

Beyond Good and Evil :

I am still unable to say which of the hasty events preceding a bungled end or the underwhelming final boss (a "giant" alien reversing your controls and creating clones of your teammates..., woohoo) really came to the point where all the enlightening moments proposed by this game suddenly vanished...

GhaleonEB

Lunar: The Silver Star on the Sega-CD.
Ghaleon transforms into this huge monster
, and I killed him using regular attacks in three rounds without having to heal. It was sad. Great game, though.

FF X:
The actual final boss is really easy if you've done any of the side stuff. That's to be expected (completing all the sidequests in a RPG almost always makes you overpowered for the boss), but even after blowing through the boss, you have to tediously hack through all the Aeons and Yu Yevon. By the end of that, I was no longer excited about reaching the end of the game, and just wishing the game would hurry up and end.

D&D: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Genesis)

You don't even fight the last boss...you just watch it being beaten by another, bigger creature who didn't exist until you got to that point.

MGS 2's last battle,
Solidus
, was rather anticlimactic. His character was really poorly built. I barely knew who the hell he was when I was fighting him.

Half-life's final boss was definitely a WTF moment. The whole (I forget the name of the alien planet) part just blew all types of ass. What a shitty way to end a good game.

M3wThr33

Banned
Duke Nukem Advance. I was on the spaceship, a couple levels in and found a new enemy. I was about halfway done emptying my rockets into it before I realized, oh, this is probably the final boss.

The game was still better than Dark Arena, Ecks Vs Sever and Ballistics put together.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Charles said:
Defending Chrono Cross, you are aware that you're not supposed to kill the last boss, right?

Personally,
all in all I liked Chrono Cross. I enjoyed the battle system, having the ability to auto-heal post battle was cool, and while they definitely should have gone into some characters more, I enjoyed the basic story. As for the ending, simply answering what exactly happened to Schala was more than enough for me, cause that was a fucking burning question at the end of CT.

MetatronM said:
Are you sure you're not thinking about Final Fantasy IX? Ultimecia was at least talked about/involved in/mildly hyped up for most of the second half of the game. FF IX, on the other hand...

Yeah. I think you nailed it... I liked FFVIII but IX, I loathed - the endboss came from nowhere and really I just sat there and thought WTF!?!@@!?@!!?@ Most jumbled messed up next gen FF. As boring as X was, at least there was some semblance of coherence. And I also thought that Ultimecia was one of FF's better bosses; evil, female and possibly
Rinoa
I think FFVIII's greatness depended on how involved in the story you were but I did really want to beat Ultimecia and getting to her castle felt like a huge landmark event.

I also agree with Green Pandas comments about the Aeons in FFX. What a pain and incredibly dull too. Urgh.

OH.

some of you guys will be shocked but....

LOZ WW. I didn't like the ending too much. The Ganondorf fight was poetic but I wanted something like 1000000000000x times grander and more epic. LOZ OOT nailed it with an awesome fight and even MM had a WTF moment going into that Lull before fighting Majora's.

Ultima 9 - pagan. What a way to ruin a class franchise and ending. Ultima 7 + 8 were class but Pagan just ... URGGH.

Bob White

even MM had a WTF moment going into that Lull before fighting Majora's

Yeah, but it was the best WTF moment EVER. I mean, THAT is what's inside this scary ass looking thing?! Wow!!

Plus it was spooky as shit.

Mr_Furious said:
An old wizard with shitty powers does not make for a good final boss fight. It was over all too quickly.

Yeah, but there weren't any bosses throughout the game, so I don't know what you were expecting. I pretty much expected from the beginning to be fighting the wizard.

Also, yeah I really like MM up UNTIL the last boss... I mean, come on,
the MASK as a boss??
That was pretty lame.

TheGreenGiant said:
Ultima 9 - pagan. What a way to ruin a class franchise and ending. Ultima 7 + 8 were class but Pagan just ... URGGH.

Ultima 8 was pagan. And I agree it was class. Ultima 9 did suck.

jcjimher

Sonic 3 Genesis. The game ends with a sudden, shallow and easy boss fight at the end of the 6th stage. It really shows that Sonic 3 was only half of the entire game.

On the other hand, the Sonic & Knuckles ending (the real ending of Sonic 3) is great, the best in the 16 bit Sonic series IMO.

Top Bottom