• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most impressive 3D-Games for the N64

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
The reflections, mirror effect on objects was the N64 signature for me, lots of game used this for the objects pick ups like Turok and the shards or health.
Me too! The throwing knives on Goldeneye were my favorite. It felt so magical and next gen. It was a shame this effect was removed from the XBLA remaster.

F1 World Grand Prix:

F1WGP3--article_image.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
F1 World Grand Prix:

F1WGP3--article_image.jpg
Thanks, I was sure N64 had at least one good sim racer and was searching for it to see if it's on par but couldn't remember it, my mind kept going back to Le Mans 24h like the Dreamcast had, ha. Sadly it doesn't seem as clean & smooth as the other racers mentioned but it's not bad for the era and it's not like the other systems were full of 60fps racing games (pretty much the exception left for some random bonus modes and gimmick remaster tech demos of early titles), plenty of them (even of this same F1 license at that) chugged and/or had other visual flaws. The video has both exterior & cockpit laps and is from real hardware like the RR64 video.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Sin & Punishment was great, but I don't have a solid screenshot to quote. It looked much better in motion anyway--because the asset quality might have been low, but the tremendous sense of speed & chaos made it work.
Yeah, Sin & Punishment has those angular models that have tons of sharp edges. Another game that suffered from this was Castlevania 64.

Both games look far better in motion though.

Romulus

I feel like the top tier N64 games were untouchable in terms of polygon pushing graphics, but there only like 7-10 of them.

nkarafo

F1 World Grand Prix 2 has improved graphics over the original.
Wasn't that a PAL only release?

I feel like the top tier N64 games were untouchable in terms of polygon pushing graphics, but there only like 7-10 of them.
True. The games that push the most polygons use more modern, custom microcodes. The majority of N64 games would use the default ones that weren't as optimized.

Codiox

Follow the thread and you'll be surprised.

Next game is 1080 Snowboarding.

7xVn5aU.jpg

juhp9Tx.jpg

This game doesn't look particularly special in screenshots. But in motion, i think it's the best looking game of it's kind during that gen.

It's best graphical feature was the "clothing hit by the wind" animations. Every now and then, you could see the clothing of your character rippling because of the wind. A very convincing effect that i remember impressing me a lot back then.

And for those who are wondering, the frame rate was pretty much perfect 30fps.
What shader and overlay are you using here?

nkarafo

Standard guest venom shader with no overlays. The scanlines are a bit messed up with the resiza and transition. I won't post other pics with scanlines.

Naked Lunch

Sin & Punishment
The aircraft carrier level in particular is mindblowing even today.
Treasure always pushed consoles to the brink - basically showing off with their talent.
Beyond graphics - the gameplay is just too good.
I want all games to have the gameplay depth and improvisational freedom of SnP.
Time for a replay...

Last edited:
I dont remember any of these games looking this sharp on N64 honestly. I know its through emulation but then thats not the real representation of what the game was back in the day.

sunnysideup

Banned
banjo kazooie is the technical showpiece of n64. It has a detailed world and retains good framerate. Games like conker has terrible framerates.

But i think mario 64 looks better and holds up better with its simpler often flatshaded look.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I dont remember any of these games looking this sharp on N64 honestly. I know its through emulation but then thats not the real representation of what the game was back in the day.
To me they looked far better on the original CRT televisions. Emulators make it sharper, sure, but that only exposes the bad textures and limited geometry. It's best on a real tube set with the subtle glowing effects around colors etc.

Cattlyst

I think it would be more appropriate if people posted screens of games running on actual N64 hardware rather than emulators. I had an N64 for a couple of years before the Dreamcast launched and there's no way the games looked as sharp as these shots do. If you were playing on a crt the blurryness was unbelievable. Even with an expansion pak. Emulator screens are a bit misleading in my humble opinion.

SkylineRKR

N64 didn't make my toss my PSX aside as I once expected to do, but it certainly had its merits. In terms of platform games, and FPS, the PSX couldn't compete. I was in awe when I played Mario 64, and saw the likes of Goldeneye. The console could render bigger fully 3D playfields. PSX sorely missed that, eventually Ape Escape came out which I thought was a masterpiece but it was kind of late and likely still not as impressive as Mario and Banjo. I agree N64 looked blurry, but also more impressive at the same time. I also played Blast corps, and the amount of things going on was a step ahead of PS and Saturn.

But the N64 library was severely lacking. The system had like no 2D games at all. And there wasn't something like FF of Xenogears for it either. So much IP and publishers from SNES era didn't carry over.

nkarafo

The system had like no 2D games at all.
It had a few good ones. My favorite was Mischief Makers. Yoshi's Story wasn't as good as the original but graphically it was pretty amazing at the time. I hear good things about Bangai-O and Ogre Battle 64.

Other than that you have Rampage World Tour, MK Trilogy and some puzzles like Dr Mario, Pokemon, a couple of Tetris games, etc. Some Japanese exclusives are also 2D like Wonder Project and a bunch of others that i have never played. Also, i'm not sure if Rakuga Kids counts as 2D, if it does it's a darn impressive 2D game.

So yeah, it's not a 2D powerhouse or anything but i wouldn't say it doesn't have them.

Last edited:

shubik

Conker and Jet Force Gemini. I remember how mind-blown I was when I saw those reflections in Jet force Gemini (palace level with all those shiny surfaces). Rareware back then consisted of wizards.

Camaway2

Follow the thread and you'll be surprised.

Next game is 1080 Snowboarding.

7xVn5aU.jpg

juhp9Tx.jpg

This game doesn't look particularly special in screenshots. But in motion, i think it's the best looking game of it's kind during that gen.

It's best graphical feature was the "clothing hit by the wind" animations. Every now and then, you could see the clothing of your character rippling because of the wind. A very convincing effect that i remember impressing me a lot back then.

And for those who are wondering, the frame rate was pretty much perfect 30fps.
Amen to that. I still dream of 1080! I so wish for a new 1080 title for the Switch!

Alexios

Playing Sin and Punishment and it's brilliant and great fun. I seem to remember contemporary talk of it having a weird control scheme or whatever but it's basically a dual analog style rail shooter just like the sequel (just substitute the movement stick with the d-pad), I guess people weren't used to that, it's different to Star Fox/Panzer Dragoon/Space Harrier as you have independent control of the character and the crosshair. It looks pretty great for N64 and runs very smooth too. Before that I tried Star Soldier and that's just embarassingly bad with its low framerate for a top down shmup.

The presentation is top notch, it must have been really ambitious for the small Treasure back then.

Rakugakids looks wonderful and is a fun fighting game that would have been good to have back then too as a party game.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Playing Sin and Punishment and it's brilliant and great fun. I seem to remember contemporary talk of it having a weird control scheme or whatever but it's basically a dual analog style rail shooter just like the sequel (just substitute the movement stick with the d-pad)

And every FPS N64 has that control scheme. In most it's not the default but every game has it as an option. Turok was the first game that introduced it.

You can also hold the gamepad from the left side so you can use the D-Pad instead of the C-Buttons and have movement with your left thumb and aim/direction with your right, just like modern games. But for that you need the original, trident shaped controllers. Which is one thing that many 3rd party controllers get wrong when making N64 pads shaped like modern pads. They remove this option completely, yet people shit on the trident design even though it's the only single analog gamepad that allows this.

It's a shame how very few people know these things. Most will claim that games like Goldeneye have shitty controls, only because they never bothered to try the available control methods.

ShadowLag

I think Conker is far and away the most impressive, tech-wise. It was doing things that seemed more appropriate for the Gamecube at the time.

Check out the facial animations, real-time shadows, particle effects, etc.

Ozzie666

My brain remembers Shadows of The Empire looking a lot better than it actually is/was. But I do remember my brain nearly exploding playing it at the time.
But Rogue Squadron, Conkers and Sin and Punishment spring to mind. But I'll always have a soft spot for Star Fox 64.. Too many!

Alexios

Last edited:
Game No 2:

World Driver Championship.

ng9oafm.jpg
pg4gfoK.jpg
JMU44Up.jpg

This is the best looking Racing game on the N64. Technically, it's probably the best on any of the 3 consoles during that generation. It uses custom microcode in order to push more polygons than the average N64 game. As a result, the cars and environments are more detailed than most other racing games during that gen. And even when 8 cars are on screen at once, the frame rate is stable (most of the time). There's pop-up but it's quite minimal.
Is it me or does the map in the second picture look like someone bending over? Lol

amigastar

When i think that i was blown away back in the day with Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Wave Race 64 and Goldeneye, it's hard to imagine nowadays. But i was.

Last edited:
There's actually a note n gage game with bump mapping, the terribly named fighting game one
Either way I don't think Blast Corps uses actual bump mapping. It's probably just an animated texture that shifts between different frames based on camera positioning.
I remember Donkey Kong 64 making use of a similar effect when you hit the gongs in the aztec stage. Looked crazy.

Deerock71

I'm throwing EA's Beetle Adventure Racing's hat into the ring before it gets lost in the dustbin of time.

That being said, the best non-Nintendo, non-Rare, non-Akklaim game has GOT to be the all-time classic Rayman 2.

Last edited:

Celine

Resident Evil 0 looked impressive in magazines before it was moved to Gamecube.

295730-resident%20evil%20zero%20prototype.jpg

Also, No Mercy looked really good at the time. Especially when compared to the earlier gen wrestling games.

c94c04710bfc7d316ca0b0396c02bbd8365362b2e9a80b531ab5210a0ebc9594.jpg
The unreleased Eternal Darkness version for N64 looked even more impressive:

Either way I don't think Blast Corps uses actual bump mapping. It's probably just an animated texture that shifts between different frames based on camera positioning.
I remember Donkey Kong 64 making use of a similar effect when you hit the gongs in the aztec stage. Looked crazy.
It's indeed an animated texture.

Last edited:

Griffon

Perfect Dark is almost a Dreamcast/early-PS2 level game. The N64 can barely run it but it looks very good.

Top Bottom