• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Really happy to see Jeff Gordon take home another Brickyard trophy. The guy is such a pro. Kahne showed me once again he might not have the chops to be a killer when it's on the line.

Yessss

nhBwU3d.jpg

I'm golden.

nny

Jari-Matti won by 3.6s, close!

rally Finland is so spetacular...flying cars!

WRC+ looks pretty good.

DD

Rubens Barrichello just won his first race on the brazilian StockCar series, and holy shit, what a race!

DD

IndyCar at Mid-Ohio tonight.

Should be a good race. One of the States' best road circuits IMO.

I really want to follow the Indycar Series, but Band (brazillian TV channel who owns the rights) usually prefer to show the same f*ckin' football game that Globo TV is broadcasting. ;(

IndyCar is absolutely awesome right now. The talent level is finally back to how it was in the best of the CART days, but parity amongst teams is much closer. Anybody could win, and you wouldn't be surprised.

It's too bad more people don't or can't watch.

Chris R

Indycar is indeed great. I'd like to see them expand the series by a race or two in North America before flying over to Dubai or going back to Brazil.

Juicy Bob

IndyCar is absolutely awesome right now. The talent level is finally back to how it was in the best of the CART days, but parity amongst teams is much closer. Anybody could win, and you wouldn't be surprised.

It's too bad more people don't or can't watch.
Yeah, IndyCar has a pretty decent field right now.

I still find the series' organisation and some of the driving standards fairly poor at times, but it's still worth a watch if you have any interest in single-seater racing.

Chris R

It did at one point in Sao Paulo but it got cancelled.

Yeah, I know, but the next one is scheduled to Brasilia, but the track is really bad at it's current state, and there's not enough time to revamp that track for the race.

This is what happens when you try to use single seaters there in that piece of shit of a track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06ba77c8DA

I mean I wouldn't mind the race happening, but I think there are plenty of good tracks Indy could expand to here in North America before trying to push the sport internationally. Same reason they shouldn't go to Dubai.

Also why I'm kinda pissed about the New Orleans race when other great tracks aren't getting any love :(

Shaneus

Highlights of the last StockCar race, Barrichello's first victory with a crazy battle til the end of the race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=099O82LNZc8
Wow, it's taken him a while for his first win there... any reason why?

I also had no idea that the typeface used for the Brazilian Stock Car series was what GSC used for theirs! Mind blown.

Love how he just decides to drive off the track into the dirt for the fans.

How long do races usually go for in the series?

DD

Great battle!

Nascar bros will start twitching at the site of Rubens driving through a pile a garbage on the front straight trying to make a pass. Debris caution? Lol, no.

I also love seeing Game Stock Car tracks in real life.

That's an old track that was recently restored. They hired Hermann Tilke for the job, but thank God he didn't messed with the track's layout. lol

Wow, it's taken him a while for his first win there... any reason why?

I also had no idea that the typeface used for the Brazilian Stock Car series was what GSC used for theirs! Mind blown.

Love how he just decides to drive off the track into the dirt for the fans.

How long do races usually go for in the series?

Mostly because he's a terrible driver. ;P

JK. Well, he's forty something now. Not a kid anymore, and drove single seaters all his life. So he had some adaptation problems. These cars are heavy, with way less downforce, and I remember seeing him complaining last year about all the ramming, the door to door action and such. Also, the field level is really high there too, with lots of ex-F1, Indycar drivers and other stuff, but that doesn't mean that this is for old timers, one last thing before retirement. Most of the guys are twenty or thirty something, and even some young boys that had given up on Formula 1 for the lack of money. There's this boy, Felipe Fraga, just 18 years old that was hired by Red Bull, but it's racing for a mid tier team at the moment, since the main team seats are full at the moment. This boy started this year and already won two races in the first half of the season. The little fucker doesn't even have a driver's license.

About the race duration, that race in particular was a single 50 minute race, because it was the "Corrida do Milhão" (something like "Race for a Million"), which gave 1 million reais for the winner. But that race aside (EDIT: the first race was a single 50 minute race too, with guests like Mark Winterbotton, for example, that you might know ;P) this year they started with a two race format; one of 40 minutes, and another one with 20 minutes (giving less points) just a few minutes after the end of the first race. It sounds crazy, but it's actually very entertaining, because you see all different strategies (changing just one tire, two tires, all four, or maybe none; saving fuel, refueling, all types of stuff), so literally anyone can win, and winning the first race pratically means that you gave up winning the second one.

Shaneus

Mostly because he's a terrible driver. ;P

JK. Well, he's forty something now. Not a kid anymore, and drove single seaters all his life. So he had some adaptation problems. These cars are heavy, with way less downforce, and I remember seeing him complaining last year about all the ramming, the door to door action and such. Also, the field level is really high there too, with lots of ex-F1, Indycar drivers and other stuff, but that doesn't mean that this is for old timers, one last thing before retirement. Most of the guys are twenty or thirty something, and even some young boys that had given up on Formula 1 for the lack of money. There's this boy, Felipe Fraga, just 18 years old that was hired by Red Bull, but it's racing for a mid tier team at the moment, since the main team seats are full at the moment. This boy started this year and already won two races in the first half of the season. The little fucker doesn't even have a driver's license.

About the race duration, that race in particular was a single 50 minute race, because it was the "Corrida do Milhão" (something like "Race for a Million"), which gave 1 million reais for the winner. But that race aside (EDIT: the first race was a single 50 minute race too, with guests like Mark Winterbotton, for example, that you might know ;P) this year they started with a two race format; one of 40 minutes, and another one with 20 minutes (giving less points) just a few minutes after the end of the first race. It sounds crazy, but it's actually very entertaining, because you see all different strategies (changing just one tire, two tires, all four, or maybe none; saving fuel, refueling, all types of stuff), so literally anyone can win, and winning the first race pratically means that you gave up winning the second one.
That all sounds amazing! I'll have to pay much more attention to it in the future, sounds like there's far more depth to the series than, say, the Australian V8 series.

DD

That all sounds amazing! I'll have to pay much more attention to it in the future, sounds like there's far more depth to the series than, say, the Australian V8 series.

I love V8 Supercars since I got in touch with it in Toca 2 and 3 (it was my favorite series in these games [Team Ford here, captain <õ. ]), but I never had the chance to follow the championship because I don't have Fox Sports on my cable package. Only sporadic non live races. So I can't confirm that it is more interesting than the australian series, but I can tell you that the aussie cars are nicer, faster, and that there's nothing like Bathurst, Adelaide or Surfers Paradise here. ;(

Chris R

Watkins Glen about to start for the Nationwide guys. Should be good!

edit: Nice race. Glad to see the drivers of NASCAR can get around T1 without wrecking every single restart like they used to. Granted, I guess it helps when the entire thing is paved over, but still.

Now if they could just work on getting the lapped/slower cars out of the way of the leaders... At least it didn't screw Ambrose.

Chris R

Should be the most watched NASCAR race in some time. It would be nice if all the lifelong fans and experts popping into the other thread joined us here come race time!

Vicious

I'm curious to see if NASCAR is going to do anything about drivers getting out and confronting others on the race track from now on. It's always been dangerous but everyone has gotten away with it.

B.K.

I'm curious to see if NASCAR is going to do anything about drivers getting out and confronting others on the race track from now on. It's always been dangerous but everyone has gotten away with it.

NASCAR won't do anything until someone gets killed in one of their races.

Vicious

NASCAR won't do anything until someone gets killed in one of their races.

I would agree if this was between two non-NASCAR sprint racers, but since it was Stewart and this is getting tons of media attention, you gotta think they'll at least have a discussion about it.

Juicy Bob

I would agree if this was between two non-NASCAR sprint racers, but since it was Stewart and this is getting tons of media attention, you gotta think they'll at least have a discussion about it.
And while I'm not blaming NASCAR for this tragedy, I do think NASCAR should look at how lenient it is to on-track aggression and how the things that happen in their races in front of national television audiences can contribute to the racing culture at all the regional tracks.

B.K.

That was a bad wreck.

That may be the end of this race. They probably can't fix that today and I don't see them racing with a huge hole in the guard rail.

He was talking about how unsafe the track is and that there's no excuse not to have any safer barrier anywhere around the track.
Ah. Well in that case he's right!

The only excuse is $$$, which is no excuse considering how much money NASCAR makes from each race, and considering they own WGI.

I was out and about. What the hell caused the 2nd red flag?
Denny Hamlin went all Denny Hamlin on the water barrels at the entrance to pit road.

I'm not sure why it's taking them so long to clean it up though, maybe they're out of spares and duct-taping them back together.

Chris R

Denny Hamlin went all Denny Hamlin on the water barrels at the entrance to pit road.

I'm not sure why it's taking them so long to clean it up though, maybe they're out of spares and duct-taping them back together.

Already setup the DVR to record the rebroadcast later tonight :( Thought my OG recording +1h was going to be enough but that first red flag just went too long.

Going to suck to see AJ take Marcos out at T1 with Carl wining the race... yuck!

Top Bottom